Fall TV Preview

The Event On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

By mid-May, the networks will make some tough calls as to which shows will return for the 2011-12 TV season, and which are dunzo. In addition to TVLine’s ongoing “Renew Our Show!” Bracket Tournament, we are singling out select “bubble” shows to size up their prospects. Today, we ask: Does NBC’s future look Event-ful?

THE SHOW: The Event (NBC)

THE TIME SLOT: Mondays at 9/8c; Season 1 finale set to air May 23.

Fox’s Lie To Me On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

THE CASE FOR KEEPING: Oh, what a roller-coaster relationship I have had with The Event. Last fall, the best I could sum up its pilot for anyone was “42 minutes of unabashed sci-fi foreplay.” But I stuck with it, if only to confirm my suspicion that aliens had detoured a jetliner’s beeline for President Blair Underwood. Then, the series showed hints of crackling with a 24-meets-Lost kind of intensity/complexity. As for the cast, I’m a fan of the aforementioned POTUS; Damages vet Zeljko Ivanek is always imminently watchable; it’s great to have ER‘s Laura Innes back on TV; and Sarah Roemer and Taylor Cole… well, they speak for themselves. And I have no doubt that the series creators have way cool places to take this story of non-aging ETs once held prisoner Guantanamo-style, but now freed and under the wing of am ambitious leader. That said…

Human Target On the Bubble: Keep or Cut?

THE CASE FOR CUTTING: Something is missing. That 24-flavored urgency comes and goes. I’ve all but lost track of the Jason Ritter storyline (though I did like Roemer calling him on the carpet this week for cutting back on intimacy upon learning she’s got an extra little extraterrestrial somethin’ in her). Sometimes I wonder if the canvas is too wide, too sprawling, to ably service all the subplots. (One week Ian Anthony Dale’s Simon is the focus, and then he all but fades into the woodwork.) And while this Thomas guy is sufficiently weaselly as the ETs’ megalomaniac leader… I don’t see Earth getting taken over by a mere weasel. (At least I don’t want to think that could happen, as long as Jersey Shore is on the air.)

Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Axed? What’s on the Bubble?

Hit the comments section to make your own case for keeping or cutting The Event.

Tags:

Comments (72)

• Pop it.

Comment by Alex – March 11, 2011 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • im out here trtying to find out what the heck happened to the event hanging on trying to find out what’s going to happen next i wish it was a movie so it could have a ending now it might get cut and i dont know a thing damn i hate that.

Comment by vito – April 11, 2011 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • cut

Comment by carl – May 5, 2011 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d be ok either way. The event is a descent show but unlike other shows it’s never quite must see and if it was canceled with questions still up in the air, I am not finding myself loosing sleep over it. If it’s down to this and othe NBC shows like Chuck, Harry’s Law, Parks and Rec or even other sci fi shows like V, I’d choose any of them over The Event.

Comment by Jasin – March 11, 2011 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • harry’s law?….are you kidding me?…over the event?…..at least the event has picked up in this 2nd half season…but harry’s law?…could that show be more redundant!

Comment by steve – March 20, 2011 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cut it. And let Jason Ritter move to the NBC saved Parenthood.

Comment by Christina – March 11, 2011 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 100% agree

Comment by I – March 11, 2011 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Three cheers for Mr. Cyr!

Comment by DL – March 11, 2011 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • While I love The Event and don’t want it cancelled, if it does go they damn well better bring Jason Ritter back to Parenthood!!

Comment by Stacey – March 11, 2011 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree!!!

Comment by C. – March 12, 2011 02:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it

Comment by Laurel – March 11, 2011 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely keep it. It’s the only show that has caught, and kept, my attention this year, and it has been getting better with each week. If it gets canceled, I’ll blame the weasel execs at NBC brought in from Comcast for burying it. The hiatus was inexcusable – you can’t build a following by going off the air for three months and then start up again without airing a single re-run. I know that they did play commercials, but they had the stars do appearances the day the show returned – not exactly enough time for word to spread. I just hope the show builds with word of mouth as the rest of the season’s episodes are broadcast, and we’ll get a season 2.

Comment by Brian – March 11, 2011 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cut it.

Comment by daniel – March 11, 2011 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would prefer they keep The Cape. I agree that the Event seems too sprawling of a storyline. Bring back Flashforward even if it is a different network.

Comment by Bill – March 11, 2011 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, I was gonna say “keep it”, especially for that sense of “it’s really intriguing and hooking one week, a bit meh-ish the next” it gives you, since it still makes you stick with it to see where they’re going. But TBH, I’m all for bringing FlashForward back. Yeah, the first half was a bit disappointing to many, but after the cancellation threat first appeared, they managed to kick it up a few notches, and it improved considerably once they returned from the lowatus, leading to an absolutely open (and playable) finale.

Comment by Delirious – March 12, 2011 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This past week’s return was a marked improvement. If they stay away from the flashback premise then the show will immediately improve. The way to improve the momentum and urgency would be to continue the pacing that moves the story from “what is the event” to “they’re coming” …and finally to “they’re here”…..oh and lose Leila and the little sister. They are annoying.

Comment by Kaibosh – March 11, 2011 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it! It’s the only decent NBC drama show.

Comment by Jacques – March 11, 2011 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC will dump it when the season ends. Guaranteed.

Comment by Jack – March 11, 2011 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much as I love looking at the handsome Jason Ritter and hawt Blair Underwood, this show bores me. I’m not really sure why, just that I’m not really into alien anything. I’m not their target audience, but my husband would really like it if the show would hurry up and get to where they’re going with the storyline. It’s dragging on too much for his liking. *snort*

Comment by Stacey – March 11, 2011 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP IT!!! I love it! Every episode is so intriguing, I always get sucked in. On Monday’s 2 hour return I was yelling at the TV one minute and crying the next. I think it’s very well done, and I enjoy each of the story lines. Of course I am a sucker for romance, so I very much enjoy the love story between Sean and Leila. REALLY hope NBC gives it another season or at least enough warning to wrap up the major stories.

Comment by Hilary – March 11, 2011 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it… at least long enough to give us some answers! It’s the only NBC show I watch.

Comment by Ang – March 11, 2011 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC will not keep a show that’s pulling a 1.4 rating. They’re developement slate is really good too.

Comment by Jamie – March 11, 2011 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Put it out of its misery.

Comment by Mic – March 11, 2011 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice try, but it’ll be canceled.
    I think it would’ve worked much better as a miniseries or even 10 or 13 episode limited series with option for more if it did well. The story would’ve been tighter, and less draggy.

Comment by DryedMangoez – March 11, 2011 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wanted this to be good. I watched every episode prior to the return. I just haven’t had the time or energy to try the new episode. I think the Event is cancellation.

Comment by John Berggren – March 11, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Event is the Worst Written TV Series in the History of TV and the acting isn’t much better. It appears to be written by 14 year old kids on crack who are brain damaged and don’t understand the concept of cause and effect. Leila is the worst actress of all time.

Seriously the FBI is after you for escaping from their custody and you hide out in your own home where somehow they aren’t looking for you? You try to crash a commercial jet that will kill hundreds, President Blair Underwood and yourself because people who kidnapped your kids and killed your wife say if you do they’ll release your kids safely and you believe them!

At the previous poster said, Put this Terrible Show out of its Misery. Cancel it Now. It Should never have been Green lighted. PS Blacklist the writers of The Event!

Comment by Phil – March 11, 2011 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the show, but it feels like a show that can be wrapped up in one season. Plus it feels a little to close to V’s plot.

Comment by beast – March 11, 2011 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watched every episode.

Cut it!

Comment by Tonia – March 11, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL! I agree completely – I watched every episode before the break really wanting to like it, but it just didn’t do it for me. Cut it. And Jason Ritter should absolutely go back to Parenthood!

Comment by njkate – March 13, 2011 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like it, but if it meant Jason Ritter would be back on Parenthood, I hope they cut it today.

Comment by Jamie – March 11, 2011 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Easy decision, cut it! This show is completely stupid.

Comment by Christina – March 11, 2011 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We don’t get a poll for this? Anyway, I vote ‘cut it’.

Comment by AJ – March 11, 2011 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish the show would make it in a way. I am huge fans of Laura Innes and Jason Ritter. I wish they would get a hit show especially Jason Ritter, but The Even is not that great of a show. It got a great cast with no substance to back it up.

Comment by NEK5552 – March 11, 2011 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it! It’s a good show, and don’t ya’ll want to at least wait to find out what the titular event is before completely giving up on it?

Comment by Carter – March 11, 2011 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Comment by Phil – March 11, 2011 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it!!!

Comment by Michael Sacal – March 11, 2011 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it!

Comment by ErixN – March 11, 2011 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m on the bubble, too. The weak link in this show is Jason Ritter. He was fine in Parenthood, but not in this. I like almost every aspect of the show other than his segments. Just write him out, move on with another character and keep it.

Comment by Larc – March 11, 2011 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I say Keep it. I know the new President of NBC has a bunch of new Pilots in the pipeline and this may not make the cut next season, but give it a 13 episode 2nd season to wrap things up. The premise of the show is kind of thin and I don’t think it would work as a 5-6 season show, but a short 2nd season to wrap things up would work and hopefully satisfy fans.

Comment by Don J – March 11, 2011 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it! I adore Željko Ivanek. Sure he can always go to another show (doesn’t everyone want him?), but his character Blake Sterling is the one who is really starting to shine in The Event. Make him the lead character and focus more on his storyline, get rid of some of the superfluous stuff – and you’ve got a hit!

Comment by Elsie M – March 11, 2011 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Event is no longer on the bubble. With a 1.4 demo for its return broadcast this Monday it’s headed straight to the scrap heap. I watch it, but will not miss it when it’s gone.

Comment by abc123 – March 11, 2011 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is getting a little better but like V, I won’t be devastated if it gets cut. (Now Fringe is a TOTALLY different story and I would be very upset if we lost that excellent show.) I compare The Event to Caprica – it had a lot of potential but just didn’t live up to it. Caprica got really good in the last 1/2 of the last season but it was too little too late. The Event might be the same.

Comment by allie – March 11, 2011 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it! Love having Scott Patterson back! Actually, he should get more screen time.

Comment by bernie – March 11, 2011 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Scott Patterson’s newly revealed Alien (the writers didn’t know till we did) is the dumbest alien of all time. He tries to crash a plane killing himself, hundreds of others and President Blair Underwood because the kidnappers who killed his wife and kidnapped his daughters told him they would release his daughters safely after he crashes the plane. Yeah that’s the ticket.

He escapes from Federal Custody/Prison and where does he hide out with the FBI looking for him but his home! Seriously watching this show means trying to lower your IQ to 2020!

Comment by Phil – March 12, 2011 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If it stays at 1.4 it will be pulled before the end of the season.

The show is dead!

Comment by Harnes – March 12, 2011 03:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cut it!

Comment by Annie – March 12, 2011 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it

Comment by Beans – March 12, 2011 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it. It’s not perfect but I enjoy watching it. The two-hour return was really good, hope that’s a sign they are sharpening things up.
    And I just hate the pattern on the networks and even SF channel, of bringing on these types of shows that take a long time to develop plot-wise, and pretty nearly all of them are cancelled after a season or two.
    Makes it difficult to want to invest in watching any new ones, which contributes to the spiral of cancellations.

Comment by lily – March 12, 2011 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I say keep it. Kill alot of the characters down. This will add shock and help keep the plot tight. It is a potentially good show but spreads the plot too thin.

Comment by ubliette – March 12, 2011 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cut it.

Comment by Amber S – March 12, 2011 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I say KEEP it because I like so many of the cast members.

Comment by Carrie – March 12, 2011 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it!!! This is show is seriously filling my much needed sci fi hole. Is it perfect? No, but this weeks premiere was great! I’m a harsh critic, but for some reason this show is the ONLY good sci fi network TV show since Lost. Keep this on the air! Plus the cast is great.

Comment by Justin – March 12, 2011 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • keep it for sure

Comment by Mark – March 13, 2011 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have watched every episode, so far. This last week 2 hour premiere,was disappointing. Cut this show. I won’t be watching it anymore. I love Jason, Blair and Laura, but they can find better shows to be on, send Jason back to Parenthood

Comment by CJ – March 14, 2011 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not bothered either way. The whole show feels like a slow tease with a promise of resolution but never quite making it. It would be great to know exactly what is happening but the writers have just over indulge themselves so it leaves me cold. Shame as it showed great promise to begin with.

Comment by Wan Othman – March 14, 2011 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it!! Good show and writing!

Comment by Rico Moreno – March 15, 2011 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There are very few shows I watch anymore. Even if the shows been a little inconsistent (great one week, not as good the next) it’s been really nice to have a show to look forward to. I hope that NBC gives this program a chance to find it’s feet. I’m really tired of the way the networks (and many cable stations) cancel programming without giving the show(s) a chance to develop. A lot of programs are inconsistent their first seasons. In the past shows were given a chance to mature before the decision to cancel was made. Not now! There are so few programs that aren’t “reality” or “contestant” shows, it’s refreshing to have programs that are entertainment in the old sense. What could be a greater oxymoron then a “reality” show? Just having a camera present that everyone knows is there changes the way people act. Enough already!

Comment by Jltylke – March 15, 2011 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe its cuz most if not all of you people are American and you find it hard to keep track of a slightly complicated storyline. Remember they cancelled Flash Forward cuz American audiences found it too complicated to follow. Seriously how did you people become so powerful? Obviously it didnt take a huge intelligence.

Comment by seamus watson – March 16, 2011 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cut it!
    I also was initially enthused, then disappointed, then hung on. I was hoping that after the hiatus things would get better. But now it is worse. The plot is getting so ludicrus. Things like this really bother me. The nuclear core is carried on the road with absolutely no security. Wouldn’t you think if there where a major threat they would have an entire battalion accompanying it? Helicopters in the air? Tons of troups? Come on! And this high security jail? Would it be that easy for them to get one guy to allow them in? The Sperling. Shot in the abdomen, thight, tortured, back to work? Enought is enough! I like shows and movies about aliens but give me something I can wrap my mind around. This sucks!

Comment by Jesse Wassner – March 16, 2011 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the question we all should be asking at this point is was it just a coincidence that in the segment airing March 14th we hear of nuclear power plants, spent fuel rods, and a faked meltdown at Chernobyl. Somehow, seeing what is happening in Japan right now. The buzz about HAARP and other things is making fiction stranger then reality.

Comment by Martin – March 16, 2011 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they keep it. I think it is entertaining and different. I still have a grudge against NBC for cancelling Kings, but my fingers are crossed.

Comment by Laurel – March 26, 2011 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post