TNT Sets Summer Premieres for The Closer, Leverage, Spielberg's Falling Skies and More

TNT is anticipating a very hot summer, judging by its just released, most robust line-up ever. In addition to a half-dozen returning favorites (RIP, Dark Blue), the cabler is uncorking two new dramas, both fronted by familiar faces.

First among the fresh fare, the legal dramedy Franklin & Bash is set to debut Wednesday, June 1, at 9/8c. It stars Mark-Paul Gosselaar (yes, with better hair) and Breckin Meyer (Road Trip) as “two fly-by-the seat-of-their-pants lawyers” who are unexpectedly recruited by Malcolm McDowell (Entourage) to join his tony law firm.

Then, on Sunday, June 19, the Steven Spielberg-produced Falling Skies descends on us with a two-hour premiere. ER fave Noah Wyle stars as the leader of a resistance movement formed in the wake of a Justin Bieber an alien invasion. Moon Bloodgood (Daybreak) also stars, which I mention if only to type “Moon Bloodgood.”

Returning series, meanwhile, resurface as follows:

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 1
10/9c Men of a Certain Age (Season 2 resumes with six episodes)

TUESDAY, JUNE 14
9/8c Memphis Beat (Season 2, 10 episodes)
10/9c HawthoRNe (Season 3, 10 episodes)

HawthoRNe Adds Marc Anthony as Series Regular

SUNDAY, JUNE 26
9/8c Leverage (Season 4, 10 summer episodes)

The Closer‘s Main Men Sound Off on Spin-off

MONDAY, JULY 11
9/8c The Closer (Season 7 kicks off with 10 summer episodes)
10/9c Rizzoli & Isles (Season 2, 10 summer episodes)

Which TNT premiere are you most looking forward to?

1. jen says:

LOVE LEVERAGE! cant wait for that to return

2. Yvette says:

The Closer and Rizzoli & Isles back to back! WINNING!!

3. Chmarin says:

Basically every single original TNT series will air at some point during the summer. Except for Southland, of course.

So, besides a few December episodes of The Closer/Leverage/Rizzoli & Isles, what do they plan to air in the upcoming TV season?

4. Elizabeth says:

Leverage, Memphis Beat, Rizzoli & Isles and The Closer – I’m looking forward to them all!

5. Kat says:

K, now you can follow up with some SyFy love. Eureka. Go.

6. Erin says:

Hawthorne and Memphis Beat…10 episodes just isn’t enough. :)

7. Jewelsify says:

Leverage!

8. Bobbi says:

Leverage, Memphis Beat, Rizzoli & Isles and The Closer – love them all!

However, can no one write anything but legal dramas or fantasy/scifi? I’m really dying for another premise!!

9. leah holley says:

Memphis Beat. Love Jason Lee in Memphis Beat. Great show. Quirky and a little different.

10. daisy says:

Bummer. I guess I’m the only one who liked Dark Blue…

11. Linda says:

LEVERAGE!

12. MoxieSue says:

Leverage!

13. nicole says:

too bad donnie wahlberg can’t come back to rizzoli and isles his character had great chemistry with rizzoli

14. Laurie says:

Memphis Beat!

15. Brad says:

Add Lie to Me to these returning shows and everything in TV land is perfect!!

16. Nicole says:

I’m all about The Closer! I’ll be sad to see it end.

17. Maya says:

The Closer!!!

18. EveDallas says:

YAY LEVERAGE! I love that show <3

19. Suncatcher says:

Love The Closer, Rizzoli & Isles and Leverage. Kudos to cable for creating these excellent programs! Saves us from exterminators, giant fish and fat people and other equally ridiculous shows.
    Bless you.

20. pam says:

CLOSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Lorie says:

The Closer! I wish it would return in June and not July. I’m an impatient fan.

22. Linderella49 says:

Can’t wait to see Noah Wyle again on Falling Skys. Love Rizzoli & Isles, just wish the season was longer than 10 episodes. I agree there was chemistry with Donnie Wahlberg and Angie Harmon, but not at the risk of Blue Bloods. Looks like a good summer!

23. Vannesa says:

HawthoRNe and Rizzoli & Isles. :D Can’t wait. :D

24. Kelly says:

I can not wait for Parker and the Leverage gang to be back on the air.

25. lace says:

Rizzoli & Isles and Leverage are the best shows that TNT has to offer! Memphis Beat is also a good show especially with Jason Lee’s singing, but it’s not as great as the other shows.

26. Mykey716 says:

Can’t wait for new show, “Falling Skies” and return of the rest.
    Very sorry to hear ‘Dark Blue’ won’t be returning…had good acting, was dark (compared to other fare) and the cast was quite yummy!

27. breighny says:

THE CLOSER, of course! Can’t wait to see Lt. Flynn again.

28. dk kidd says:

I really will miss dark blue, i love leverage and the closer so tnt still has a huge fan in me

29. tv lover says:

‘Men of a Certain Age’ – absolutely love that show! smart, funny, poignant, and it’s well-written and well-acted, just brilliant all around.

30. Angela says:

The Closer … smart, witty, poignant, dramatic … with an endearing cast of characters (we even end up caring for the meanies and thugs!) A great compromise between the true ‘cozy’ (Murder She Wrote) and hard-driving crime drama (take your pick of any of a dozen) … The Closer has enough charm and smarts to pull it off beautifully!

As I watch the series for the second time (trying not to OD on too much of a good thing before the new — and final! *whine* — season begins) the complete six seasons, I’m reminded of just how good this show is. Yes, it can be a bit preachy at times, but always with a lovely southern glove, not a gritty in-your-face melodrama like Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (which I also love).

Actually, The Closer has moved SVU off the #1 slot on my viewing list, and it did so about 4 seasons ago … about the same time SVU became overly preachy and heavy-handed with it’s on-screen (anti-, but still) moralizing.

I love Brenda’s character, that she’s driven at work, but quirky and squishy around the people she loves — how utterly human and how utterly wonderful to delve into her chaotic world! Not so much a fan of the other woman’s character … can’t even remember her name now, but the one who set Brenda up to run against Pope for the Chief of Police gig. I think that character is way too heavy-handed and one-dimensional, needs to be fleshed out more … but I do hope that’s NOT the main character of the spin-off series!! Brenda herself would be unbearable to watch if only the hard-driven side of her character was seen week in and week out.

Please, please let us have as fully developed a character as Brenda has been when the spin-off occurs!! I’m thrilled to hear there may indeed be a spin-off, just hoping it doesn’t bomb like one of Lt. Provenza’s “dates”! LOL I do hope Provenza will be featured prominently, as well as Flynn and others well-known to Closer long-time viewers.

I hope as well that Ms. Sedgwyck will have producer responsibilites in any spin-off series. She’s the glue that holds it all together … if she doesn’t want to remain in front of the camera for the spin-off, let us pray she will want to remain an active driver of the details off-screen at least!

Waiting on pins and needles until we find out what happens with the new season and hopefully new season! (I refuse to call it ‘final’.)

:-)

31. Stacie says:

can’t wait for the closer! also, glad to see it’s followed by rizzoli & isles!

32. Frank says:

Leverage

33. admiral says:

The Closer rocks. Can’t wait Will Southland return? It is a super rock! Glad TNT nabbed it up from NBC.

34. DONNAH says:

Can’t hardly wait for Memphis Beat to come back.

35. Megan says:

In order: Leverage, Rizzoli & Isles, Hawthorne. Been with Leverage all the way and am just starting to get into the other two.

36. Maison says:

Cant believe they cancelled Dark Blue. It was an awesome show, if they woulda publacized it a little more it’d probably still be on..

37. Cierra cornelison says:

Dark blue was the best! Can’t believe it is cancelled

38. Sam says:

I loved Dark Blue! So sad they took it out:-( !! I hope they come to their senses and bring it back. Like wtf happened to new amsterdam? genius show

39. Pat Cherry says:

My favorite shows on TNT are equally appreciated and viewed. It’s as if I became the friends of Brenda(Closer), Moon Bloodgood (Falling Skies) the male lead and his sons, and the entire team in Leverage. The characters are so fantastically real to me and they’re all great actors! Sad to hear Closer is not coming back. Kyra is a really gifted actress.

40. Rose says:

Please TNT do not cancel Hawthorne I have bein watch your channel for the past year that I had my baby from 6:00 am with Angel, Charmed, Supernatural, Las Vegas, The Closer, The Mentalist, and everything is on. Please put Hawthorne season 4 on. Thank you