Parenthood Faces The Defenders as the 'Renew Our Show' Sweet 16 Tournament Continues!

One is based on a 1989 film. The other is an update of a 1961 TV series. But both Parenthood and The Defenders are fighting for their very lives in the here and now as they attempt to shore up places on their respective networks’ 2011-2012 lineups — and as they engage in a head-to-head duel to the death as part of the first annual “Renew Our Show!” Sweet 16 Bracket Tournament.

‘Brothers & Sisters’ Vs. ‘Harry’s Law’ in Day Three of the ‘Renew Our Show’ Tournament

So which one strikes your fancy? NBC’s nuanced family dramedy or CBS’ jaunty legal caper? You make the TVLine call! Oh, and for the uninitiated, “Renew Our Show!” features 16 existing series currently in on-the-bubble limbo; we left out the sure-fire pickups (like The Good Wife, Supernatural, and Bones) and those to which the Grim Reaper has already paid a visit (we’ll miss you, Medium!). Every weekday at 1 p.m. ET for the next three weeks, you’ll be able to vote in polls to help narrow down the field. Click here to see the entire bracket (then click again on the image for a zoomed-in view). And if you’re worried about the status of anything currently on your DVR “series-recording” lineup, don’t miss our regularly updated Renewal Scorecard feature.

Lie to Me Vs. No Ordinary Family: Vote in Day Two of the ‘Renew Our Show’ Bracket Tourney

So what are you going to be chanting as you head to the battlefield: “Par-ent-HOOD!” or “De-fen-DERS!”? Polls will be open for 72 hours, so do your civic duty, then hit the comments to justify your vote, and head to Facebook and Twitter to whip your fellow fanboys and fangirls into a frenzy. And to get alerted to all future “Renew Our Show” showdowns, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV. Now ready, set, vote!

Comments (70)

• I have watched a few episodes of Defenders and it is pretty good. My boyfriend loves it and has seen every episode.

I had to vote for Parenthood though because it is the most underappreciated show on TV. The cast is amazing!

LONG LIVE THE BRAVERMANS!

Comment by mandy – March 10, 2011 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood & Defender are both great show they need to make room on there networks to keep them both.

Comment by kim – March 10, 2011 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree! I love both shows.

Comment by Melissa – March 10, 2011 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree completely!!

Comment by Spikenalabama – March 11, 2011 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood of Course!the best show on Tv right now!

Comment by Anna – March 10, 2011 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Defenders has great chemistry and is lots of fun to watch. Oconnel is hilarious. Oh ya FIRST

Comment by Aaron – March 10, 2011 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood ALL the way!

Comment by Kathrin – March 10, 2011 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood Absolutely !

Comment by Laurel – March 10, 2011 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Phood!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Amy – March 10, 2011 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “phood” made me laugh. :)

Comment by JB – March 10, 2011 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • PHood
        ParentTuesday
        ParentParty
        ParentPants
        Parenheit
        Parentroopers
        ParentWood
        ParentGlider
        Parentethical
        ParentSauce (or PSauce)
        ParentBird (around Thanksgiving)

A few of the MANY nicknames for the greatest show on TV. :)

Comment by Hannah – March 12, 2011 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PARENTHOOOD for sure!!

Comment by Line – March 10, 2011 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too Easy! Parenthood!

Comment by ErixN – March 10, 2011 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood for sure!

Comment by Adrienne – March 10, 2011 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted for Parenthood, which a really great show, at least equal to The Good Wife; but The Defenders is also a good show and deserves to be renewed. Belushi is terrific in the Defenders.

Comment by jra – March 10, 2011 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood!!!

Comment by Chau – March 10, 2011 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood Absolutely,i just love ^^

Comment by ane – March 10, 2011 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood has not only a loaded cast of amazing actors but I have also been really enjoying the plot and character developments. The writers are really fleshing out some amazing stories and characters. I love it!
    I think that Belushi and O’Connell’s talents could be put to better use!

Comment by Andrea – March 10, 2011 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I adore Parenthood – it’s a show which deals with realistic situations, is cast by wonderful actors, and makes you FEEL. On the other hand, The Defenders is not the goofy Vegas legal show I thought it would be – it too has really interesting cases, has top notch actors, and is always worth watching. It’s too bad a choice had to be made – I’d vote to keep BOTH, but being forced to choose casts my vote for Parenthood.

Comment by ebb – March 10, 2011 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I believe Deffenders is an awesome show, I believe it never got the chance,to show what is really made of. Sadly, I don’t think it will make Season 2, because of the low ratings and such. J.C. and J.B. have such great chemistry. I will miss miss this show. I hope I am wrong and I o see it next year, but it seems like every show that i get hooked on, gets axed :(

Comment by CJ – March 10, 2011 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is Parenthood here when you have it as a Save Bet in your renewal card? I´m voting for Parenthood. I wanna spent another year with the Bravermans.

Comment by Kary – March 10, 2011 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I stopped watching Parenthood a while back but I will vote and put kind words in for anything Lauren Graham is a part of.

Comment by Kristen – March 10, 2011 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood, if for no other reason than Peter Krause deserves a steady paycheck after the joy he’s granted me with SPORTS NIGHT and SIX FEET UNDER.

Comment by John Berggren – March 10, 2011 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood!!!

Comment by Nora – March 10, 2011 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team Braverman all the way! Love, love, love Parenthood!

Comment by Rebecca – March 10, 2011 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the hardest decision on the bracket! They’re both amazing shows, and both networks absolutely need to keep them. Gotta vote for The Defenders, though…seems like Parenthood has enough support around here. The Defenders is also a fantastic show!

Comment by Rachel – March 10, 2011 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The thing about Defenders for me, is that they win every case! I like it, but Parenthood is much better.

Comment by Ryan – March 10, 2011 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PARENTHOOD!!! :o)

Comment by Caroline – March 10, 2011 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood. 100%. Fantastic show. It’d be a shame to lose it!

Comment by Jeff C – March 10, 2011 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In this case, Parenthood wins, hands down. It needs to be on at 9:00, which I think will help the show a lot.

Yes, there some slight nude scenes and mild language, but by 9:00 at night, the little ones should be in bed. Maybe if the show is around for a third season, NBC will put on at that time, followed by Law & Order: SVU.

Comment by robinepowell – March 10, 2011 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted for Parenthood because I watch it and there are way too many Lawyer/cop/doctor shows on tv. However Parenthood needs to spice things up a bit. All the characters are too good and nice. They need to bring on a Joan Collins, Heather Locklear or Donna Mills type to spice things up. Knots Landing was very similar to Parenthood before Abby Cunningham came to wreak havoc on Seaview Circle and someone needs to do the same to the Bravermans.

Comment by mark – March 10, 2011 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to strongly disagree with your assertion that “Parenthood needs to spice things up a bit”. The way it is written, with its realistic relationship struggles and typical parent/child drama played out with incredible acting, it beats the spiced up series any day. If you want a racier drama, find something on the CW or Bravo.com

Comment by Boswell – March 10, 2011 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PARENTHOOD!!!!!! Hands down best show on television. <3

Comment by Patty – March 10, 2011 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood because i need my dose of Bravermans :P

Comment by Rachel – March 10, 2011 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Always going to go with Parenthood! It’s my favorite show!

Comment by PGP – March 10, 2011 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood. Nuff said.

Comment by John – March 10, 2011 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had to vote for Parenthood-I went to high school with Sam Jaeger! (Not that we ever really spoke)

Comment by Tracendo – March 10, 2011 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My family is the bravermans!!!! Love parenthood!!!!

Comment by Clara – March 10, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Both shows are worth keeping. This choice is unfair!

Comment by Linda – March 10, 2011 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood.

As if it could go any other way. The cast is superb, the writing phenomenal… just witness the Max tale from last week to see why it’s TV’s best traditional family drama.

Comment by Brock – March 10, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FRINGE!

Comment by m – March 10, 2011 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “The Defenders” is a much better show, and much less of a soap.

Comment by Matt – March 10, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is no contest. Parenthood is one of the best shows on tv right now. Real people, real lives, real struggles and it’s not prettied up to make it slide down easier. It’s raw and true emotion. It should be on for a long time just for the asperger’s storyline. Parenthood follows in the footsteps of FNL depicting the real ups and downs of life, family and relationships. It is definitely NOT a soap.

Comment by Amanda – March 10, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m shocked that the Defenders has 17% of this vote. I thought this would be more of a 9 to 1 ratio.

Comment by Mikos – March 10, 2011 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m afraid it’s already too late for Defenders. Parenthood is a bit too depressing for my tastes.

Comment by Anna – March 10, 2011 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Voting for Defenders because I think Parenthood is already getting renewed and I’m a fan of both shows.

Comment by Evan Meadow – March 10, 2011 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Defenders! Please renew, CBS thsi show is great!

Comment by BigRedATL – March 10, 2011 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team Braverman!!!!!
    Guys don’t vote for defenders just because you think parenthood will get renewed anyway, we all know what NBC is like…
    VOTE PARENTHOOD!!!!!!
    =D

Comment by Gemma – March 10, 2011 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood hands down

Comment by Shanelle3 – March 10, 2011 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood all the way

Comment by Debbie – March 10, 2011 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You’re evil Slezak! This is a tough vote – why couldn’t either of these get off easy (a matchup against say, Brothers and Sisters). But for sheer fun, I have to go with Defenders. Parenthood can be too heavy and screechy sometimes. They’re always shouting over the top of each other. If I wanted that, I never would have moved out from home…..

Comment by sherimoonzombie – March 10, 2011 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood hands down

Comment by Jordyn – March 10, 2011 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what kind of a question is that? Parenthood. Duh.

Comment by hilary – March 10, 2011 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE don’t kill the Defenders – it’s great!!!

Comment by KD – March 10, 2011 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely Parenthood! So relatable every single episode…besides, best cast on TV right now!!!

Comment by CB – March 10, 2011 11:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post