Lie To Me On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

Come mid-May (if not at times sooner), the networks will be making some tough calls as to which shows will return for the 2011-12 TV season, and which will say sayonara. In addition to our ongoing “Renew Our Show!” Bracket Tournament, TVLine is singling out select “bubble” shows to survey their prospects. The latest one to face some hard truths: Fox’s Lie To Me.

THE SHOW: Lie To Me (Fox)

THE TIME SLOT: Most recently, Mondays at 9/8c.

‘Renew Our Show!’ Sweet 16 Bracket Tournament: Harry’s Law vs. Brothers & Sisters

THE CASE FOR KEEPING: Personally, I like television that I can “learn” from, and call me crazy but I like to think that Cal Lightman (played by Tim Roth with accent) teaches me something now and again about “microexpressions” and how to be a “human lie detector.” Also, in a world of procedurals rampant with icky-gooey evidence and shock-value corpses, it’s a relief to see a crime cracked by exposing lies and the lying liars who tell them. And while just the other day I dissed Human Target‘s misguided endeavor to drum up UST (unresolved sexual tension) ‘tween its male/female leads, here, in carefully measured does, it works. (I mean, who wouldn’t want to woo Kelli Williams?) As icing on the cake — and with props to young Hayley McFarlandLie To Me sprinkles in a father-daughter dynamic that smooths the rougher edges of Roth’s character juuuust enough.

‘Renew Our Show!’ Sweet 16 Bracket Tournament: Parenthood vs. The Defenders

THE CASE FOR CUTTING: The lack of gun play and foot chases typical of procedurals makes Lie To Me an odd bird indeed. With the FBI element excised for Season 3, it can at times feel like a reach for Cal’s team to get pulled into “solving” a crime off the books. And while Roth and Williams are of course excellent, too little time is spent developing secondary team members Loker and Torres (played by Brendan Hines and Monica Raymund). Lastly, should there be a Season 4, I want to meet a recurring adversary. Since every week can’t deliver a top-notch, cocksure foil à la guest stars Jason Dohring or Ashton Holmes, give Cal a thorn-in-the-side in the form of some high-ranking, Wrong Every Step Of The Way lawman.

Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Axed? What’s on the Bubble?

Hit the comments section to make your own case for keeping or cutting Lie To Me.

1. Cassie says:

Keep it this is the best show on any tv it’s rite next to house it has good ratings even my dad who hates all my tv shows loves this you have to keep it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. justa335 says:

Keep Lie to Me!

3. chris says:

a friend forced me to watch Lie To Me in the 2nd season and I’ve been hooked ever since you couldn’t get me to miss a show if you paid me, (all depending how much you paid me)and even then I would still record it. I’ve gotten 3 others people hooked since, cancelling it………..BIG MISTAKE!

4. Lisa says:

PLEASE keep Lie To Me! It’s fascinating, intelligent, and engaging. And looking at that thin list of reasons to cut it, I only have one response: maybe if FOX would promote the show a little bit instead of constantly threatening (or contributing to) its potential demise, then perhaps the writers could relax a bit and focus on those secondary characters and stories instead of constantly worrying about the future health of the leads and the show in general. With all the crap tv out there, losing Lie To Me would seriously be a slap in the face to those of us who prefer intelligent television as opposed to unscripted “reality” nonsense. Get your head on straight, FOX!

5. Lisa says:

Keep!!!
    It’s my favourite show!!!
    KEEP! KEEP! KEEP!

Point made?

6. Irene says:

Please Keep Lie To Me. A wonderful show unlike any kind we’ve ever seen on tv. Kelli Williams and Tim Roth are just fantastic and it will be interesting to see what will happen between their characters in a forth season. Lie To Me deserves another chance,

7. Nick says:

KEEP IT! Sky pick this up in the UK and it’s an amazingly entertaining show. Vote for it to be kept here

It has a vote for ‘keep it’ or ‘kill it’ and Lie to Me crazily only has 57% keep it votes.

Sorry if linking to other sites is not allowed; not intentional just want to make sure this show gets renewed or at least gets the chance to write it’s own ending! The cost of making this show can’t be so high it needs 10 million+ viewers! Come on FOX KEEP IT!

8. Mrs. C says:

I love Lie To Me. It is a great show that always leaves me excited for the next episode. Why cut a great show! Keep Lie To Me, and of course House and cut the other shows that only take up space that good shows can use.

9. Steve says:

A crime / procedural that is slightly different, takes us down a new road and doesn’t drown us under microscopes! Keep it!

10. Karen says:

I love Lie to Me and own the first two seasons on DVD. Most of the posts want to keep the show, but will “they” listen to us?

11. Heather says:

Over the years fox has devastated me by cutting some of my all time favorite shows. While I was a bit of a late comer to Lie to Me, the show has captured my attention in a way few shows in the past have. While my love of Bones has unfortunately waned over the past season :( my love of Fringe and Lie to me has more than quadrupled in size. I think the actors bring these characters to life in a big way. I love the relationship Cal has with Emily, and I’m ecstatic about the way the writers have cultivated the dynamic between Cal and Gillian, leaving us with a feeling of, not so much “sexual tension”, but a feeling that Cal really does care about her and not just about getting her into bed. This show must come back!

12. Racheal Clayton says:

KEEP IT!! this show is absolutely amazing. i think the show should have a long episode to make it even more amazing, where emily is taken and cal struggles with telling if the kidnaper is lying to make it more suspensful. Knowing cal and how he can tell if anyone is lying would make something like this take the show way higher and honestly i think tons of people would watch it!! keep it its the BEST show ever!

13. Cassie N says:

Keep the show please! Every since the first show; I have been a dedicated viewer. Its so excited to see “What next?” This show is unique. As there are so many shows that include our regular law enforcers, this show isn’t based around that. I too find it very educational and exciting! I can’t wait to find out the end results. I also love the characters role, Cal Lightman, and his relationship with his fellow co-stars… It would be very very dissapointing if this show were canceled. It hasn’t even been around very long. Seems as if a fe of my shows have either been canceled or is up in the air on being canceled and haven’t been around for very long! PLEASE KEEP THE SHOW ON AIR!!!! ~NY~ Cassie N

14. Mike Hamill says:

This is high quality programming. It’s among the best network entertainment of the last decade. If Fox is true to form they will cancel it as soon as they become aware of this.

15. swilkie says:

i love lie to me!!!! please don’t cancel!! :)

16. PuppyGirl says:

It’s hard to believe that a show of such high quality may face the chopping block! The writing for this series has been stellar-the acting, too! “Lie to Me” is such a unique story, and each episode has been so refreshing! PLEASE, PLEASE bring it back!!!!!!

17. Jackie shephard says:

Keep it!! It’s way better than most of the shows on cable. The way the show is, it’s like a modern version of Sherlock Holmes. Roth and the whole cast have great chemistry and are excellent actors. I think that Roth’s arrogance adds to the mystique that is Lie To Me.

18. Coleen says:

Lie to Me is a great show for those who want something a little more thought provoking and entertaining than those lackluster comedies the networks keep airing. Please keep Lie To Me on the air!

19. Nick says:

Lie to me
    Is by far my favorite show on T.V. Time Roth makes the show witty but keeps you on the edge of your seat on what will happen next

20. Liz Morse says:

Even Tim suggested that TNT or USA network should pick up this series. There’s also Sleuth. This program is too good to cancel. And what an insult to the great actor Tim Roth. Please figure a place for his series.

21. Erica Lanier says:

I love Lie to Me! This show has the perfect amount of suspense and it gives me the thrill of trying to solve the case before the end of the show, even though I always fail in doing so! This show is amazing and I love the fact that they give a wonderful father-daughter relationship! It can be inspiring to have a relationship like with your children even though he can spot all of her lies! Cal is played well! Great actor with crazy facial expressions while he studies every movement in your face! I LOVE IT!!!! Please keep this show running! I must say it’s a learning show as well as entertaining! I have gotten my whole family addicted to this show! And we are excited for a season 4 so BRING IT BACK!!!!! Please and thank you!

22. KATE says:

Please Keep LIE TO ME! I actually learn something when I watch it. Also it makes me want to be in law enforcement because of Lie to Me. Please keep it

23. Mark says:

Keep it! My wife wants to buy a book about facial expressions!

24. Barbara Ersckoff says:

I’ve watched every episode of this show and would be really disappointed to see this show dropped when junk like “Jersey Shore” and the plastic “Housewives” reality shows seem to be flourishing. What an enmbarassment to today’s mentality. Or maybe these types of reality shows are today’s mentality and I’m just lacking in idiocy. Please don’t drop “Lie to Me.” The networks need to stop embarrassing themselves by dropping good shows because the payroll rates are cheaper for junk like “Housewives”, etc.

25. Taylo3244 says:

Keep lie to me!!!!!!! It is one of the best shows ever! Why do all the networks have to cut off the good shows!!!!!! If there not going to continue the show at leaste put out a book or something so we can see what happens at the end!!!!!

26. Lexie says:

KEEP LIE TO ME I LOVE THIS SHOW IT’S MY FAVORITE!!!!!!

27. LietoMe333 says:

I love detective shows and Lie to Me is one of my top 5, probably ranking in number 2 or 3. I was watching Bones before but in it’s off season I discovered Lie to Me, which I immediately fell in love with. Lie to Me is very original and even though it might not be real it is still fascinating to see the facts Dr. Lightman comes up with. Liet to Me deservers at least another season. The only suggestion I have would be to spice up his social life, in Bones it was interesting but what I really found myself wanting to see was how the relationship between Bones and Booth grew. The writers of Lie to Me need to make sure they are being creative with all parts of the show not just the cases.

28. Mystic says:

I didn’t watch TV for years. Then started again a few years ago. Seems like every other show out there is the same… Dead, abused, raped, etc… Why replay what we see on the news nightly? With Lie To Me & The Mentalist, I find myself wanting to see more, learn more and I have. Along with “Janes” peculiar, hilarious sense of humor and character along with his humanly grieving side, I want more! Lie To Me, there are so many quirky things about Roth, his daughter, relationships, ability to “see” a dimension most people don’t, there are a hundred different ways to go with it. I like both shows and am hoping to see more of them.

29. Elaine Aber says:

In a time when television is most unoriginal (all the reality shows), it is refreshing to watch a show that has real dialog. I think they should keep Lie to Me. It’s the one show I enjoy watching. I agree with another viewer to stop it now would be a bit premature.

30. Marina says:

Please keep this show on it is one of the only ones I watch anymore. They already did away with Law and Order CI.I love the way these actors interact with each other. I think this is a thinking persons show and is different and unique which is something that is lacking in todays shows. I am so tired of reality shows.
    I think it is just not Fox that is doing this to shows it is all the major networks. I want to give up on the channels that have given us someone else’s reality to watch. I have had enough of this please do not take this show off!!!

31. Rick says:

Come on this is the best show on right now. I work nights but make sure I always record this show. I will stop watching Fox that is how angry that they would take this show off and keep all that reality trash

32. Tessa says:

REALLY!!! Come on this is one cool show don’t take it off it is the only one I love. Interesting, unique, just awesome I can’t find any more words to say it would be brutal to take this show off the air. Give it another chance FOX

33. Valorie says:

when a new show comes out i am afraid to watch and get involved because i just know at some point it is going to get the plugged pulled for some reason. i really really like LIE TO ME different and original with the way Lightmen handles everone and everything. PLEASE PLEASE DONT CANCEL

34. Theresa McKinney says:

I agree with ALL the previous posts!!! Lie to me was the Very Best show on TV. Ieven still have them on my DVR so I can keep watching while you hopefully figure out that it needs to return. I’m sooo sick of all the violence and sex on tv and Lie to me shows you can make an excellent show without shoving all that in our faces. and I love Tim Roth as Cal Lighman..he is aewesome!! as is te rest of the cast. PluI love theinteraction he ha with his dauger..Pease Please Please bring it back =)

35. Vio from ROMANIA! says:

Keep LIE TO ME best TV series EVER!!!!!

36. Deborah Olsen says:

I really love Lie to Me. Please don’t cancel it!!

37. Meeegan says:

PLEASE keep the show!! I and my bf love it

38. ashley says:

keep this show its my favorite show i watch it every week ill be so crushed if it doesnt air my whole family watches the show please please keep it cancelling would be a mistake and fox would lose veiwers for sure

39. Bring it back and KEEP IT! I just looooove this amazing show! I still hope that it will make a blasting comeback…. Tim Roth is an excellent actor that really gives so much color to his complex character and with the rest of the crew they couldn’t have done a better job!!! Please FOX! KEEP IT!!!

40. Keep Lie To me.. This show is amazing I just started watching it on Netflix and I am truly in love with the characters Im not sure why Fox cancelled it but that was the worst choice ever this show could have went toe to toe with some of the because crime shows. smh There was so much more that could have been done you guys wasted some great characters smh

41. Nella says:

Im full on INLOVE with this show. PLEASE KEEP IT. Im fascinated with every episode and how he figures out every case! It’s probably on of the BEST shows FOX has ever let air! It’s just great! KEEP IT!!!!!!!!

42. I says:

Bring it back! Didn’t get nearly enough advertising… I didn’t even know about it until Netflix….