Castle Exclusive: A Nod to the Late Stephen J. Cannell Is In the Cards

Get More: Exclusive, News

Castle — and Castle — soon will pay regard to Stephen J. Cannell, the late novelist, prolific TV producer and sometime guest star, TVLine has learned.

In the April 11th episode of the ABC series, Castle and his poker pals — Michael Connelly, in his third appearance, and first-timer Dennis Lehane (Gone, Baby, Gone) — will make reference to Cannell’s passing as they gather for a night of cards.

The man who brought us such series as The A-Team, 21 Jump Street and Wiseguy, Cannell died from complications associated with melanoma in September 2010, at age 69. He made his third and what would be final cameo on Castle last May.

Here’s Cannell joining Castle for cards with Connelly (far l.) and James Patterson (far r.).

Comments (30)

• So glad to hear that!

Comment by Seth – March 10, 2011 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s sweet! I’m also excited Dennis Lehane will be there — I love me some Dennis Lehane in a squeeing fan-girl way at odds with an adult woman and an author.

Comment by Michelle R. – March 10, 2011 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad they will honor him in an upcoming episode. It is always fun to watch Castle hang out with his writer friends. It’s such a neat idea, having these real-life writers as poker pals of a fictional writer. Paying tribute to a man who contributed so much to such great shows is a good storyline for the show.

Comment by Jenny – March 10, 2011 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had the honor to spend an afternoon with Mr. Cannell. He was a character in snake skin boots. He will be missed.

Comment by TaMara – March 10, 2011 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Met Mr. Cannell about a year before his passing, in Malibu at Moonshadows. Asked him where Jim Rockford lived, which he told me quite specifically. Such a gentleman and scholar, a BIG part of my growing up experience. Always a dream and now another disappointment not to have chance to work with him, even once. Same goes for John Ritter and Rod Steiger to name only a couple gone too soon.

Comment by Larry Gordon – March 10, 2011 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should have some women writers on there too. Maybe Kathy Reichs or Anne Rice.

Comment by Jennifer – March 10, 2011 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ann rice doesn’t fit with that crowd, but Kathy Reichs would as long as she didn’t think it would be disloyal to Bones.

Comment by Doug – March 10, 2011 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’d be a hoot to have Kathy there and she asks Rick, “Ever think of turning your books into a TV series? That will they/won’t they thing would sell like hotcakes.”

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – March 10, 2011 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • LOVE it!!! That would be so perfect!

Comment by Amy – March 10, 2011 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Great idea!!!

Comment by Gwen – March 11, 2011 05:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Patricia Cornwell would be perfect.

Comment by Kelly – March 10, 2011 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I have sent in the suggestion of Patricia Cornwell too and I think she would be a great addition (though I do like that they added Dennis Lehane for the next poker night). Reichs and Rice are not a good fit.

Comment by Agreed – March 11, 2011 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “No” to Anne Rice. I’d rather see Karin Slaughter or Lisa Gardner, if they were adding a woman to the game.

Comment by MelindaB – March 11, 2011 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • About time. When he passed I was hoping they would do a poker game homage to him in some way. Up til now I was just disappointed all we got was a note at the end of a n episode but I guess it depends on how many they had in the can when he passed.

That man was awesome and would have had Mr T kick charlie sheen in the 2 and a half jewles

Comment by Dave – March 10, 2011 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They need to have Dean Koont as a visiting player. (He’s lives in California)

Comment by GimplyGump – March 10, 2011 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Koontz … sorry typo I didn’t catch.

Comment by Gu=implyGump – March 10, 2011 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not really a mystery writer. Mostly considered an horror writer.

Comment by Jeff – March 21, 2011 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really happy that they are doing this!!! Castle is one of my favorite shows and I loved the interaction between Castle and other writers. I think we’ll all be watching the episide with a very heavy heart!

Comment by Jenn – March 10, 2011 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LeHane is a perfect fit.

Comment by Dan – March 10, 2011 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh good I’ll look forward to this!

Comment by Renee – March 10, 2011 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy they’re going to honor Stephen – liked him as a writer, actor and show creator, so sad at his passing. And I agree about the female writer idea -I know Linda Fairstein is a New Yorker & was a former ADA, she’s had tv experience.

Comment by Diane – March 10, 2011 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Castle didn’t already kick serious butt, they certainly do now. I’ve been a fan of Steven J. Cannell since I was a kid (no lie, I watched Wiseguy when I was 7). Needless to say, when that episode airs, I will be a blubbering mess.

Comment by Krystal – March 10, 2011 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • STEPHEN (not Steven) will be pleased a HUGE fan like you miss him so much. No lie!

Comment by Todd – March 15, 2011 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As someone else has already mentioned, I have been waiting for this homage to happen I’m happy it is finally going to eventuate.

Comment by Igloo – March 11, 2011 04:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about Sue Grafton or Janet Evanovich? Especially with the upcoming Stephanie Plum movie that would be great watching Janet and Castle compare notes about how the movies are destroying their books.

Comment by Bridget – March 11, 2011 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As Stephen’s personal assistant for twenty-seven years, I know how much he loved Rob Bowman and his work. While Andrew quickly earned Stephen’s respect as a writer and a friend. He loved the show and the opportunity to be a part of it. To those of us who were with him, we still can’t believe that he has left us. Thanks for all your kind words about him.

Comment by Michael – March 11, 2011 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i am grateful to the show producers for doing this for cannell. as others have commented already, i was a bit unhappy that the only acknowledgement of his passing was a few seconds at the end of one of the episodes, but after reading this i realize now i was mistaken and they were taking the time to plan something proper for him instead.

Comment by thumper – March 12, 2011 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I keep wishing and hoping that Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child would get invited to the poker game. I actually wrote them an email including this suggestion and Lincoln replied that they would consider it a fun opportunity if it ever came to them. Go get ‘em Castle people!

Comment by Kiki – March 21, 2011 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Enjoyed everything Cannell. Just found out about his passing. Just started watching Casel and really love it I was a NCIS fan until now. Cannell will be remembered always.

Comment by jimmie stockton – January 30, 2013 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post