Exclusive

Castle Exclusive: A Nod to the Late Stephen J. Cannell Is In the Cards

Castle — and Castle — soon will pay regard to Stephen J. Cannell, the late novelist, prolific TV producer and sometime guest star, TVLine has learned.

In the April 11th episode of the ABC series, Castle and his poker pals — Michael Connelly, in his third appearance, and first-timer Dennis Lehane (Gone, Baby, Gone) — will make reference to Cannell’s passing as they gather for a night of cards.

The man who brought us such series as The A-Team, 21 Jump Street and Wiseguy, Cannell died from complications associated with melanoma in September 2010, at age 69. He made his third and what would be final cameo on Castle last May.

Here’s Cannell joining Castle for cards with Connelly (far l.) and James Patterson (far r.).

1. Seth says:

So glad to hear that!

2. Michelle R. says:

That’s sweet! I’m also excited Dennis Lehane will be there — I love me some Dennis Lehane in a squeeing fan-girl way at odds with an adult woman and an author.

3. Jenny says:

I’m glad they will honor him in an upcoming episode. It is always fun to watch Castle hang out with his writer friends. It’s such a neat idea, having these real-life writers as poker pals of a fictional writer. Paying tribute to a man who contributed so much to such great shows is a good storyline for the show.

4. TaMara says:

I had the honor to spend an afternoon with Mr. Cannell. He was a character in snake skin boots. He will be missed.

5. Larry Gordon says:

Met Mr. Cannell about a year before his passing, in Malibu at Moonshadows. Asked him where Jim Rockford lived, which he told me quite specifically. Such a gentleman and scholar, a BIG part of my growing up experience. Always a dream and now another disappointment not to have chance to work with him, even once. Same goes for John Ritter and Rod Steiger to name only a couple gone too soon.

6. Jennifer says:

They should have some women writers on there too. Maybe Kathy Reichs or Anne Rice.

7. Dave says:

About time. When he passed I was hoping they would do a poker game homage to him in some way. Up til now I was just disappointed all we got was a note at the end of a n episode but I guess it depends on how many they had in the can when he passed.

That man was awesome and would have had Mr T kick charlie sheen in the 2 and a half jewles

8. GimplyGump says:

They need to have Dean Koont as a visiting player. (He’s lives in California)

9. Jenn says:

I’m really happy that they are doing this!!! Castle is one of my favorite shows and I loved the interaction between Castle and other writers. I think we’ll all be watching the episide with a very heavy heart!

10. Dan says:

LeHane is a perfect fit.

11. Renee says:

Oh good I’ll look forward to this!

12. Diane says:

So happy they’re going to honor Stephen – liked him as a writer, actor and show creator, so sad at his passing. And I agree about the female writer idea -I know Linda Fairstein is a New Yorker & was a former ADA, she’s had tv experience.

13. Krystal says:

If Castle didn’t already kick serious butt, they certainly do now. I’ve been a fan of Steven J. Cannell since I was a kid (no lie, I watched Wiseguy when I was 7). Needless to say, when that episode airs, I will be a blubbering mess.

14. Igloo says:

As someone else has already mentioned, I have been waiting for this homage to happen I’m happy it is finally going to eventuate.

15. Bridget says:

How about Sue Grafton or Janet Evanovich? Especially with the upcoming Stephanie Plum movie that would be great watching Janet and Castle compare notes about how the movies are destroying their books.

16. Michael says:

As Stephen’s personal assistant for twenty-seven years, I know how much he loved Rob Bowman and his work. While Andrew quickly earned Stephen’s respect as a writer and a friend. He loved the show and the opportunity to be a part of it. To those of us who were with him, we still can’t believe that he has left us. Thanks for all your kind words about him.

17. thumper says:

i am grateful to the show producers for doing this for cannell. as others have commented already, i was a bit unhappy that the only acknowledgement of his passing was a few seconds at the end of one of the episodes, but after reading this i realize now i was mistaken and they were taking the time to plan something proper for him instead.

18. Kiki says:

I keep wishing and hoping that Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child would get invited to the poker game. I actually wrote them an email including this suggestion and Lincoln replied that they would consider it a fun opportunity if it ever came to them. Go get ‘em Castle people!

19. jimmie stockton says:

Enjoyed everything Cannell. Just found out about his passing. Just started watching Casel and really love it I was a NCIS fan until now. Cannell will be remembered always.

20. David says:

How about getting some funny mystery writes such as Janet Evanovich on Castle

21. michon irene says:

Just saw old episode of Castle where they had a drink in front of the empty chair.did not know that Stephen Cannel had died. Sad to hear but what a great tribute. Thank you the Caswtle writets