Brothers & Sisters Vs. Harry's Law: The 'Renew Our Show' Tournament Continues!

On paper, Brothers & Sisters and Harry’s Law are wildly different. One is a long-running ABC drama about a California family that can’t get enough sex, wine, and drama. The other is a freshman NBC series about a Cincinnati attorney and her merry band of justice-seekers. But now, they’ve got two important things in common: Both shows are fighting for places on their respective networks’ 2011-2012 lineups, and both are hoping to advance to the second round of TVLine.com’s first annual “Renew Our Show!” Sweet 16 Bracket Tournament.

Alas, only one will survive a head-to-head single-elimination duel to the death, and that’s where you come in. For the uninitiated, “Renew Our Show!” features 16 existing series currently in on-the-bubble limbo; we left out the sure-fire pickups (like Criminal Minds, Supernatural, and Community) and those to which the Grim Reaper has already paid a visit (we’ll miss you, Medium!). Every weekday at 1 p.m. ET for the next three weeks, you’ll be able to vote in polls to help narrow down the field. Click here to see the entire bracket (then click again on the image for a zoomed-in view). And if you’re worried about the status of anything currently on your DVR “series-recording” lineup, don’t miss our regularly updated Renewal Scorecard feature.

So who’s it going to be? Sally Field or Kathy Bates? Dave Annable or Nathan Corddry? Polls will be open for 72 hours, so do your civic duty, then hit the comments to justify your vote, and head to Facebook and Twitter to rally more fans to your favorite. (If you missed Monday’s matchup — Chuck vs. Human Target, voting is still open for another 24 hours; and you still have two days to weigh in on Lie to Me vs No Ordinary Family.) And to get alerted to all future “Renew Our Show” showdowns, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV. Now ready, set, vote!

Comments (133)

• Too bad there isn’t a Neither button.

Comment by MoxieSue – March 9, 2011 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • READ MY MIND!

Comment by Prevodilac1 Prevodi – March 9, 2011 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • there is…it’s called DON’T VOTE.

Comment by flutiefan – March 9, 2011 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love this show especially the interactions between the siblings and their mother who is always trying to keep peace amongst her children

Comment by Judy Stevens – March 9, 2011 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Could not AGREE more. Both shows are full of complete fail. That being said, nothing is as bad as Harry’s Law.

Comment by nate – March 9, 2011 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly, two really bad shows.

Comment by Beth – March 9, 2011 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly the first thing that came to my mind when I saw this matchup on the home page.

Comment by Mels – March 9, 2011 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love! Harry’s Law. Bring it back!

Comment by lupine15 – April 1, 2011 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I LOVE Harry’s Law!! I am really hoping that it will be back for 2012 and for many seasons to come.

Comment by Cindy Faya – April 11, 2011 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BROTHERS&SISTERS without any doubt ;)

Comment by D. – March 9, 2011 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Been watching B&S since it started, as I was already pot-committed to Desperate Housewives. I actually love Brothers and Sisters so much more than Housewives. Great cast, but my only complaint is this: why can’t they just have ONE normal dinner?

Comment by Daniel – March 9, 2011 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let’s face it, NBC can’t afford to cancel a show that gets around 9mil viewers a week.

Comment by Trent – March 9, 2011 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have watched Brothers and Sisters since it started and really like it. Same with Harry’s Law. I have to vote for Harry’s Law. Some of these shows get so old and it’s time for new blood. IE Desperate Housewives, Grey’s Anatomy to name a few. They get stale. Harry’s Law is excellent.

Comment by Thom – March 9, 2011 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah I’d choose the Neither option too.

Comment by Christina – March 9, 2011 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brothers & Sisters, definitely Brothers & Sisters. I need one hour of Walker drama in my week.

Comment by Sophoia – March 9, 2011 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are you kidding me, comparing these two shows??? Brothers and Sisters is trash. I have been forced to watch this a few times and thought about invoking my Genevea Convention rights. Harry’s Las has depth and a great lead. What else do you need? Only problem is Monday night at 10 is crowded right now. Maybe a new home. I know, stop trying to pretend that shows like the Cape and the Event will work and open up the 9PM slot.

Comment by Willy – March 9, 2011 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brothers & Sisters for sure!

Comment by Rolfe – March 9, 2011 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If I had to pick it’d be HL.. the writing on B&S is terrible. No character growth. Repetitious actions. And at least 3-4 “I’m sorrys” every episode.

Comment by Jeff in Brooklyn – March 9, 2011 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love ‘em both.

Comment by Cdn Izzy – March 9, 2011 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto. Every bracket in this tournament that has a show that I watch in it, both shows are shows that I watch and if the bracket has a show that I don’t watch, I don’t watch either show. How am I supposed to choose?!

Comment by Spikenalabama – March 10, 2011 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Voted for Brothers and Sisters, only on the condition that it improves and goes back to the good show it used to be

Comment by Amy – March 9, 2011 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was hard, I have watched every episode of each show at least twice (and own every season of B&S), but I want one more season. Harry’s Law is almost a definite renewal, so I voted B&S. Both are probably some of the best hours of television on…what would you debate me with (Off the Map, The Event, Chuck…didn’t think so)

Comment by Jared – March 9, 2011 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love them both but if I had to pick it would be Harry’s Law. It’s my new favorite show. I will be bummed if it doesn’t make it back in the fall.

Comment by Peppy – March 9, 2011 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brothers & sisters !!! Keep keep keep!!

Comment by Darcie – March 9, 2011 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Right on MoxieSue-I voted for Harry’s Law although I only watch it if nothing else is on. On the other side of the battle is Brother and Sisters which has to be the biggest pile of poop on TV. WHINE! WHINE! WHINE! There you go. . .an entire episode of dialogue right there.

Comment by Kevin – March 9, 2011 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HL is a fresh take on an old concept. B&S is just the same old thing week after week. TV networks need to get out of the rut they are in and start competing with the cable channels with real shows. Back when TV was fun to watch there was a variety of things to watch, now we have 300+ channels and basically they are all showing the same things!!!!!

Comment by Desi – March 9, 2011 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People still watch Brothers & Sisters? On purpose?

Comment by Bryan – March 9, 2011 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love how the comments are made by tv critics!
    B&S is good and works for a very few compared to other shows, but still’s nice. We all love drama.
    In the other side, HL makes a nice and clean photograph: Bates is really good and the plotline could get more

Comment by Chac – March 9, 2011 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Other big thing in common: they’re the only two shows on the air right now where the lead is an Oscar-winning actress.

Harry’s Law just has so much potential, whereas B&S is sooo over.

Comment by Rock Golf – March 9, 2011 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community is a sure fire pickup? I like the sound of that.

Comment by Mikey G – March 9, 2011 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I also support the neither button. If it beats both shows, a show gets a bye in the next round!

Comment by Ryan – March 9, 2011 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I second that. We need a “neither” button!

Comment by Karla – March 9, 2011 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brothers & Sisters is a guilty pleasure, but through the course of this year it has very much felt like it has run it’s course. If it comes back next year, I won’t stop watching, but it surely isn’t as good as it used to be.

Harry’s Law is a personal favorite. I adore Kathy Bates and David E. Kelly. I also enjoy seeing Nate Corddry from Studio 60. Favor goes to Harry’s Law, but they are both on my DVR.

Comment by John Berggren – March 9, 2011 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • could not have said it any better myself!!

Comment by Spikenalabama – March 10, 2011 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto! B&S to me, is an evening soap opera – and as such, it is definitely a guilty pleasure (mostly), but I can’t say I’d miss it if it were gone. Harry’s Law has possibilities – I adore the cast – and I always look forward to seeing what David E. Kelly comes up with. So, I voted for HL.

Comment by eviltwit – March 10, 2011 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The link to the No Ordinary Family / Chuck link is wrong. It directs you to the Glee recap.

Comment by Jen – March 9, 2011 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry – I meant No Ordinary Family / Lie to Me poll….

Comment by Jen – March 9, 2011 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The link for No Ordinary Family and Chuck is on the right side of the Glee recap. Had to do it twice to find it. Save Harry! Used to love B&S, but has been going down hill.

Comment by Pam – March 9, 2011 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i watch both shows, but if i have to choose, i will go with Harry’s Law. B&S is getting tired.

Comment by flutiefan – March 9, 2011 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HL has more AA actors than anything on TV! Granted they mostly play gang bangers, the overall stories are compelling and should be given a chance to expand. While I don’t watch ‘live’ I make sure to get onDemand.

Comment by Me – March 9, 2011 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brothers and Sisters. Always a great cast and a really great show.

Comment by Scott – March 9, 2011 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely Harry’s Law! I love the concept, Kathy Bates is a master actor and I like all the characters, which cannot be said of all shows. It deserves to be around for years.

Comment by Chatty – March 9, 2011 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please, please, enough with Brothers and Sisters!! This season sucks!!!

Comment by Alberto – March 9, 2011 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There’s a busted link in the article. The link to the 2nd day of voting (Lie to Me v. No Ordinary Family) takes you to the Glee recap.

Comment by Amy – March 9, 2011 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If ‘Harry’s Law’ gos, it is more likely that ‘Fringe’ will stay. So I am voting for ‘Brothers & Sisters’

Comment by Matt – March 9, 2011 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Since Harry’s Law is on NBC on Monday nights at 10, and Fringe is on Fox on Friday nights at 9, I’d love to hear the logic behind that statement.

Comment by Cari – March 9, 2011 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seconded. I don’t follow this “logic”

Comment by John Berggren – March 9, 2011 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brothers and Sisters is by far the most incredible show on Tv right now. There is nothing out there to compare. I am not happy that ABC as not renew the show yet! What’s wrong with them?

Comment by Franca – March 9, 2011 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brothers and Sisters! Brothers and Sisters! Brothers and Sisters!

Comment by Elodie – March 9, 2011 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Harry’s Law! For sure! I love Brothers and Sisters but Harrys Law has excellent acting and writing and the characters are unique. Something very refreshing in a long list of repeated character plots.

Comment by Nick – March 9, 2011 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love both shows. Have watch both from their inception and haven’t missed an episode!! Keep the quality shows and get rid of thse inane “reality” (which have absolutely nothing to do with reality) shows!!!

Comment by Pam – March 9, 2011 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brothers and Sisters of course ;)

Comment by samych – March 9, 2011 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • keep Harry’s Law it’s the best show on tv

Comment by Vicki – March 9, 2011 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh! Please – Harry’s Law and Kathy Bates are the best. They need to come back. Keep hearing the last 2 shows. What are they thinking if they don’t bring it back.

Comment by Maurine – March 28, 2011 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • how do you vote

Comment by Vicki – March 9, 2011 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Even though I live in Cincinnati, my vote is still for Brothers and Sisters!

Comment by Amy Wells – March 9, 2011 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brothers and Sisters

Comment by JB – March 9, 2011 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love b&s from day one.also love HS.

Comment by pcw – March 9, 2011 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Both for sure

Comment by arllys – March 9, 2011 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brother’s & Sister’s for sure!! Although, I do enjoy Harry’s Law, I can’t go without the Walker’s!!

Comment by Avon97 – March 9, 2011 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • brothers & sisters!!

Comment by cplbe – March 9, 2011 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love both shows. But i think ‘Harry’s Law’ has more life in it than B&S. Unfortunately i feel the Walker stories have been told and retold and the joy of watching it has diminished to a level.
    HL needs to broaden it’s case-of-the-week to more than just the poor in that neighbourhood. It risks getting tedious.

Comment by Sam – March 9, 2011 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish HL will get its second season. At the beginning I thought it wouldn’t work, but they’ve got an amazing cast and the idea behind it to explore. So I hope they’ll let them live.

Comment by Ally – March 9, 2011 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brothers and Sisters. A+

Comment by robert – March 9, 2011 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brother & Sisters of course!!

Comment by Dana Polutnik – March 9, 2011 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brothers & Sisters is incredible! I can’t have my Sunday night without my Walkers fix.

Comment by Christa – March 9, 2011 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brothers & Sisters for sure. I need the drama, lol.

Comment by Ingmar – March 9, 2011 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Though I like Harry’s Law, the only reason I really watch it is for Kathy Bates. So I vote for Brothers and Sisters.

Comment by Davey – March 9, 2011 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watch both. But, Harry’s Law is one of my favorite new shows of the season. So, that’s my vote.

Comment by Christina Shepard – March 9, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post