Will Southland's Third Season Finale Be Its Last? Series Star Wagers $100 On Renewal

Southland‘s third season finale airs Tuesday on TNT (10/9c), and fans are already wondering: Is this it for the little show that could? Or, as at least one trade suggests, is Season 4 a possibility?

No one knows for sure, but stars Ben McKenzie and Michael Cudlitz are weighing in on the future they see for Southland.

Tuesday’s finale, “Graduation Day,” finds each character in his or her own predicament. Ben (McKenzie) is in a particularly tough spot on his final day as a rookie, struggling to deal with his longtime partner John’s (Cudlitz) ever-growing drug addiction. And while the episode is billed as merely a season-ender, it’s not impossible to see how it wraps things up for some of the characters — should this be it for Southland.

“This season really completes the journey for my character, literally and metaphorically, being a rookie,” McKenzie shares. “He’s finally done with his probationary period. He’s grown up and become a confident officer in his own right. He’s also had to face down his returning officer and tell him some hard truths. He’s ready to go out into the world, and the gloves are off for Ben Sherman.”

And should TNT renew Southland (fingers crossed), there’s still plenty to see. “The world is wide open, and Ben can go in any number of directions,” says McKenzie. “It is very exciting for both me and for the producers and writers.”

Adds Cudlitz, “The great thing for every great character in the show, and for the future of the characters, is that everything is moving forward, everybody is moving forward.”

Luckily, that’s all neither here nor there because both Cudlitz and McKenzie are more than confident that Southland will see a Season 4.

“We have produced the television series that we set out to produce, and TNT has given us the opportunity to do that unflinchingly,” says the outspoken Cudlitz. “We’re very proud of the 10 hours we have done, as well as the 13 previous hours that we produced. But more specifically the past 10 hours — and we will not be discussing not being picked up anymore.

“I think the show is getting picked up,” he reiterates with a laugh. “It’s a matter of how many [episodes].”

“If it’s 3-to-1, I’ll still put money on it,” McKenzie chimes in. “You pick the odds and I’ll bet you 100 bucks, how about that?”

Whatever Southland‘s future holds, you don’t want to miss Tuesday’s powerful finale at 10/9c on TNT.

Are you hoping the groundbreaking hit gets the fourth season it so deserves? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (74)

• PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE RENEW SOUTHLAND!!! Love the show and I love the characters!!

Comment by Karen – March 8, 2011 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This series was NBC’s lost and TNT’s gain. Great format and acting.
      One of the top series on TV and I hope they bring it back for a long time to come. Top caliber.

Comment by Linda – March 8, 2011 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I watch this and “Blue Bloods” and have to say that “Southland” is far better. Filming it on the streets of LA gives it a realism you don’t see in other shows. There have been some episodes that will stay with me a long while, like Lydia when she defended her home against the gang members seeking to kill the witness – TENSE! And last night’s season finale with Ben chasing the suspect across the rooftops and that horrific fall – what great filming! And Dewey’s attentions to the addict’s modesty as she lies sprawled on the bench – wow, what character development in this show! Please, please don’t cancel such quality programming. Excellent writing and perfect casting has made us care about these characters. We need this kind of TV!

Comment by Kathy – March 9, 2011 06:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Best cop show EVER! The acting is far superior to all other cop shows!(not to mention most other tv shows on right now). To even think that it would be canceled would be a travesty (I know… Dramatic :-) it’s like trailing after real cops and detectives!

Comment by Holly – March 14, 2011 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love Southland. It is my all time favorite show. Keeping my fingers crossed it gets renewed for a 4th Season. One of the best shows on TV.

Comment by Sandra – March 16, 2011 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yea fa real bring it back its one of the best shows out these days!!!!

Comment by tikkibadass – May 14, 2011 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best show on TV along with The Good Wife.
    It damn well BETTER get picked up! Don’t let good taste be dead…

Comment by Cheery – March 8, 2011 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t forget Parenthood!

But yeah, please renew Southland!

Comment by DL – March 8, 2011 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They’d be stupid not to renew southland – best cop show out there. 10 episodes just isn’t enough!

Comment by Lucy – March 8, 2011 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE LOVE LOVE this show. I agree with Cheery that it’s one of the best shows on beside The Good Wife. This show is amazing!!!!!!!!

Comment by Anteuas – March 8, 2011 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great Show! Intense & an amazing cast! Please TNT pick it up for another season!

Comment by Corinne – March 8, 2011 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show with great writing. Its the first show I watch online because I don’t have cable. I sure hope there are many seasons to come.

Comment by Shelby – March 8, 2011 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show and all the characters! TNT – renew this show.

Comment by Teresa – March 8, 2011 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sign the Renew Southland petition.

Comment by ss4 – March 8, 2011 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was just going to post….is there a petition out there to sign? LOL thanks for the info RENEW SOUTHLAND i need my Ryan Atwood weekly fix (it just hasnt been the same since OC went off air lol)

Comment by Reena – March 8, 2011 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is the Cable Renewal Scorecard?

Comment by Tausif Khan – March 8, 2011 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastic show that I hope is renewed. This show is pretty dark but it does a great job of mixing humor in there every once in awhile. I love all of the characters.

Comment by Pam – March 8, 2011 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They MUST renew this show… first one since Dexter that I’ve been passionate about in ages. Loved it from the start and it has only gotten better in my opinion.

Comment by Belinda – March 8, 2011 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It all started with Dragnet, but it sure has gotten extremely better and extremely more real. Southland needs at least a Season 4 & a Season 5 to even begin to wrap up the individual stories.

Comment by John G – March 8, 2011 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Southland is a fantastic show. Every episode is gripping and the actors are wonderful! I love Michael Cudlitz and Ben McKenzie and Regina King is so underrated. She’s a real treasure to watch!!!

Comment by Jaded – March 8, 2011 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are so right! Regina King is an amazing, underrated actor. She deserves to be a star.

Comment by RC – March 8, 2011 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I certainly hope this wonderful show is renewed. The writing and acting is superb. It’s gritty, realistic and doesn’t sugar-coat. Each actor is superb in their own way. Each stands out and draws you into the story. I would like to see more of the character “Chickie Brown” and less of Tom Everett Scott’s character, he is boring and seems so out of place. My favorite characters are Ben Sherman and John Cooper as well as Lydia. I really hope it comes back again.

Comment by Ali – March 8, 2011 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t disappoint me like NBC did TNT. Renew my favorite show!!!!
    - SouthLAnd’s #1 fan

Comment by jooba7 – March 8, 2011 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great show. Sure hope it will be back for a fourth season and more.

Comment by DJ – March 8, 2011 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll bet $100 right along with Ben- easy money! After this season, TNT must know it has a winner. This is one of very few shows I won’t miss.

Comment by Donna – March 8, 2011 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please renew Southland! Oh and somebody please save Detroit 187, too.

Comment by Beryl – March 8, 2011 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tonights fanallie was awesome.
    PICK UP SEASON 4 TNT

Comment by Christopher C – March 8, 2011 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please dont stop producing this show. One of the best on TV. Great in every way. One of the only shows that always keeps me on edge, definitely the best police drama out there…

Comment by Geoff – March 8, 2011 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Southland is serious the best show on tv and I’m praying for a new season there is so much they could do

Comment by Chris hanes – March 8, 2011 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show. It captures the true life of a police officer; not just in LA but in any big city. I hope they bring it back for a 4th season.

Comment by Claud M. – March 8, 2011 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • hi i like this show here in australia being a officer my self i find this show very interesting close to the real job well done i hope 4TH sason

Comment by peter connelly – March 17, 2011 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • hi i like this show here in australia being a officer my self i find this show very interesting close to the real job well done i hope 4TH season

Comment by peter connelly – March 17, 2011 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TNT: Hey, you don’t want to look stupid like NBC when THEY gave up
    on Southland. You’re classier than that.

Comment by TheTrueBastard – March 8, 2011 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Most underrated show ever. Please make more episodes.

Comment by Mitch – March 8, 2011 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We have to see how Sammy and Ben work as partners, no doubt it should have another season!

Comment by Sean – March 8, 2011 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This without question is the best show on TV. The scriptwriting is realistic. The acting spectacular. The filmaking and editing precise. This show should have won some Emmy’s. I dated a woman who was a NYPD officer who had the Harlem subway as her beat. I spoke to her recently and she said that this is the most realistic police show she’s ever seen. It shows the vulnerability of the human condition….both of the victims, criminals and police themselves. A fantastic show and I certainly hope the brass as TBS pick this up for season 4. A great, great show.

Comment by Alex – March 8, 2011 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oops…I meant TNT.

Comment by Alex – March 8, 2011 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Southland is an awesome show!!! Hope there is a season 4!!!! When I was in L.A. couple of yrs. Ago with a friend we were walking down the street and stummbled across them fliming an episode of southland. It was so awesome got to see “sherman” and “john” only 5 feet away from us. Ever since then I’ve been hooked on the show!!!!

Comment by Marcia – March 8, 2011 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was a fan of this show from the get go, but this season the show took another huge step forward, ahead of any other cop show on television.

Sad that we would even have to ponder the fate of such a brilliant show. More Southland please!!!!!

Comment by Danny – March 8, 2011 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TNT – please renew this show.

Comment by Jeff – March 8, 2011 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please renew it. I got hook on it season 3 was the first season my wife and I started watching now were hunting for the first two seasons. Its just addicting. RENEW TNT

Comment by elario s – March 8, 2011 10:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep Southland going!!!!

Comment by Bentley – March 8, 2011 11:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have been watching the show since it started. It has unique filming method that caught my eye. The show resembles “cops” but from a different point of view. As a college student, majoring in Criminal Justice, Southland is undoubtedly My favorite series and would be great full to watch the show succeed and move forword

Comment by Robert – March 9, 2011 12:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please renew! Honestly the most gripping and amazing show on television!

Comment by Michael – March 9, 2011 12:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is SUCH a well-done show-the writing and actors are so raw and real–better than anything out there! That finale left me dying to know what would happen. Never missed an episode. PLEASE PLEASE renew!!!

Comment by Tracy – March 9, 2011 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I live in L.A., grew up in the Barrio. Seen the pelones (bald ones) and homeboys live and die in the streets. Lost sleep from LAPD helicopters searching for some ‘ vato loco ‘ that was hiding from them.

It doesn’t get any more realistic than Southland. Seen lots of cop movies and series in the past (remember Adam-12 ? ) but Southland is hands down the most realistic portryal of those men and women who wear the midnight blue of LAPD.

Love them, hate them, they are amongst the nations finest and professional law enforcement men and women in the nation. Please create a Season 4 of Southland, and put back Richard Ramirez’s picture back in the opening collage of bad guys.

Comment by rudinski – March 9, 2011 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Southland is the only show I REALLY care about watching!! It is dramatic, funny, clever..touching..the best show EVER!!!!!

Comment by Ashlee – March 9, 2011 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • please renew southland for season 4 I love this show and i can see it going on for along time.

Comment by Angie – March 9, 2011 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please keep southland it is the best show on TV it is thrilling, nail bitting, and keeps me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I was very afriad that southland was canceled forever when NBC canceled southlands series on NBCs channel thankfully TNT grabed the show and plays it on there channel. PLEASE RENEW SOUTHLAND IT IS THE BEST SHOW IN THE WORLD.

Comment by Carter – March 9, 2011 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Southland is one of the very few programs on any network that should be renewed.

Comment by Doug – March 9, 2011 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am confident for season 4. I just REALLY want Ben & Coop to stay together as partners. Not as “boot” and “Training Officer”, but true partners in every sense of the word….. These two have CRAZY good chemistry together and it needs to continue. As partners, they make Southland what it is.

Comment by Lisa Cuddy – March 9, 2011 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE this show! It’s my absolute favorite show on TV and I look forward to every Tuesday night!! Please continue the show because it has so much more to offer. It’s beautifully written and the characters are
    amazing.

Comment by Sandy Le – March 9, 2011 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have been a police officer for 24 years and Southland is by far the best written cop show I can remember seeing. The tactics are sound and the detail is great, even showing an officer taking down names for the crime scene log. I hope there is a 4th season to see where the characters go.

Comment by Jim – March 9, 2011 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The cast RoCkS! The plots are exciting- why the hell wouldn’t there be a 4th season?!

Comment by S. Rossomando – March 9, 2011 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show, I found about it accidentally and I think its the best filmed and acted cop show since a while on TV. It merits more attention as no one knows about it and the friends I showed it to they love it.

Comment by NIcolo – March 10, 2011 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!! I really love this show and will cry if it is cancelled!. My husband, too. I doubt he’ll cry though. Do not let this show be cancelled!!!

Comment by kathleen – March 10, 2011 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i think thre should be 4th season this is such a o show they would be dumb not too.!!!!!!!!

Comment by jake – March 10, 2011 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the show please bring in back. Great writes and story lines.

Comment by johnny drake – March 11, 2011 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SOOO glad to see others appreciate this show as I do. It’s gritty and unpleasant at times, but isn’t that the way it goes with life? How often do networks deliver dramas with such strong acting and story-telling skills? As a high school English teacher, I applaud their efforts to deliver compelling, engaging storylines week after week.

Comment by Kathy – March 12, 2011 06:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely needs to come back, best show. Needs to defintely have more episodes 10 just not enough!!!! Can’t wait unitl season 4!!!

Comment by Lisa – March 12, 2011 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post