Will Southland's Third Season Finale Be Its Last? Series Star Wagers $100 On Renewal

Southland‘s third season finale airs Tuesday on TNT (10/9c), and fans are already wondering: Is this it for the little show that could? Or, as at least one trade suggests, is Season 4 a possibility?

No one knows for sure, but stars Ben McKenzie and Michael Cudlitz are weighing in on the future they see for Southland.

Tuesday’s finale, “Graduation Day,” finds each character in his or her own predicament. Ben (McKenzie) is in a particularly tough spot on his final day as a rookie, struggling to deal with his longtime partner John’s (Cudlitz) ever-growing drug addiction. And while the episode is billed as merely a season-ender, it’s not impossible to see how it wraps things up for some of the characters — should this be it for Southland.

“This season really completes the journey for my character, literally and metaphorically, being a rookie,” McKenzie shares. “He’s finally done with his probationary period. He’s grown up and become a confident officer in his own right. He’s also had to face down his returning officer and tell him some hard truths. He’s ready to go out into the world, and the gloves are off for Ben Sherman.”

And should TNT renew Southland (fingers crossed), there’s still plenty to see. “The world is wide open, and Ben can go in any number of directions,” says McKenzie. “It is very exciting for both me and for the producers and writers.”

Adds Cudlitz, “The great thing for every great character in the show, and for the future of the characters, is that everything is moving forward, everybody is moving forward.”

Luckily, that’s all neither here nor there because both Cudlitz and McKenzie are more than confident that Southland will see a Season 4.

“We have produced the television series that we set out to produce, and TNT has given us the opportunity to do that unflinchingly,” says the outspoken Cudlitz. “We’re very proud of the 10 hours we have done, as well as the 13 previous hours that we produced. But more specifically the past 10 hours — and we will not be discussing not being picked up anymore.

“I think the show is getting picked up,” he reiterates with a laugh. “It’s a matter of how many [episodes].”

“If it’s 3-to-1, I’ll still put money on it,” McKenzie chimes in. “You pick the odds and I’ll bet you 100 bucks, how about that?”

Whatever Southland‘s future holds, you don’t want to miss Tuesday’s powerful finale at 10/9c on TNT.

Are you hoping the groundbreaking hit gets the fourth season it so deserves? Sound off in the comments!

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Finales, Interviews, Previews

1. Karen says:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE RENEW SOUTHLAND!!! Love the show and I love the characters!!

• Linda says:

This series was NBC’s lost and TNT’s gain. Great format and acting.
      One of the top series on TV and I hope they bring it back for a long time to come. Top caliber.

• Kathy says:

I watch this and “Blue Bloods” and have to say that “Southland” is far better. Filming it on the streets of LA gives it a realism you don’t see in other shows. There have been some episodes that will stay with me a long while, like Lydia when she defended her home against the gang members seeking to kill the witness – TENSE! And last night’s season finale with Ben chasing the suspect across the rooftops and that horrific fall – what great filming! And Dewey’s attentions to the addict’s modesty as she lies sprawled on the bench – wow, what character development in this show! Please, please don’t cancel such quality programming. Excellent writing and perfect casting has made us care about these characters. We need this kind of TV!

• Holly says:

Best cop show EVER! The acting is far superior to all other cop shows!(not to mention most other tv shows on right now). To even think that it would be canceled would be a travesty (I know… Dramatic :-) it’s like trailing after real cops and detectives!

• Sandra says:

Love Southland. It is my all time favorite show. Keeping my fingers crossed it gets renewed for a 4th Season. One of the best shows on TV.

• tikkibadass says:

yea fa real bring it back its one of the best shows out these days!!!!

2. Cheery says:

Best show on TV along with The Good Wife.
    It damn well BETTER get picked up! Don’t let good taste be dead…

3. Lucy says:

They’d be stupid not to renew southland – best cop show out there. 10 episodes just isn’t enough!

4. Anteuas says:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this show. I agree with Cheery that it’s one of the best shows on beside The Good Wife. This show is amazing!!!!!!!!

5. Corinne says:

Great Show! Intense & an amazing cast! Please TNT pick it up for another season!

6. Shelby says:

Love this show with great writing. Its the first show I watch online because I don’t have cable. I sure hope there are many seasons to come.

7. Teresa says:

I love this show and all the characters! TNT – renew this show.

8. ss4 says:

Sign the Renew Southland petition.

• Reena says:

I was just going to post….is there a petition out there to sign? LOL thanks for the info RENEW SOUTHLAND i need my Ryan Atwood weekly fix (it just hasnt been the same since OC went off air lol)

9. Tausif Khan says:

Where is the Cable Renewal Scorecard?

10. Pam says:

Fantastic show that I hope is renewed. This show is pretty dark but it does a great job of mixing humor in there every once in awhile. I love all of the characters.

11. Belinda says:

They MUST renew this show… first one since Dexter that I’ve been passionate about in ages. Loved it from the start and it has only gotten better in my opinion.

12. John G says:

It all started with Dragnet, but it sure has gotten extremely better and extremely more real. Southland needs at least a Season 4 & a Season 5 to even begin to wrap up the individual stories.

13. Jaded says:

Southland is a fantastic show. Every episode is gripping and the actors are wonderful! I love Michael Cudlitz and Ben McKenzie and Regina King is so underrated. She’s a real treasure to watch!!!

14. Ali says:

I certainly hope this wonderful show is renewed. The writing and acting is superb. It’s gritty, realistic and doesn’t sugar-coat. Each actor is superb in their own way. Each stands out and draws you into the story. I would like to see more of the character “Chickie Brown” and less of Tom Everett Scott’s character, he is boring and seems so out of place. My favorite characters are Ben Sherman and John Cooper as well as Lydia. I really hope it comes back again.

15. jooba7 says:

Don’t disappoint me like NBC did TNT. Renew my favorite show!!!!
    - SouthLAnd’s #1 fan

16. DJ says:

Great show. Sure hope it will be back for a fourth season and more.

17. Donna says:

I’ll bet $100 right along with Ben- easy money! After this season, TNT must know it has a winner. This is one of very few shows I won’t miss.

18. Beryl says:

Please renew Southland! Oh and somebody please save Detroit 187, too.

19. Christopher C says:

Tonights fanallie was awesome.
    PICK UP SEASON 4 TNT

20. Geoff says:

Please dont stop producing this show. One of the best on TV. Great in every way. One of the only shows that always keeps me on edge, definitely the best police drama out there…

21. Chris hanes says:

Southland is serious the best show on tv and I’m praying for a new season there is so much they could do

22. Claud M. says:

I love this show. It captures the true life of a police officer; not just in LA but in any big city. I hope they bring it back for a 4th season.

• peter connelly says:

hi i like this show here in australia being a officer my self i find this show very interesting close to the real job well done i hope 4TH sason

• peter connelly says:

hi i like this show here in australia being a officer my self i find this show very interesting close to the real job well done i hope 4TH season

23. TheTrueBastard says:

TNT: Hey, you don’t want to look stupid like NBC when THEY gave up
    on Southland. You’re classier than that.

24. Mitch says:

Most underrated show ever. Please make more episodes.

25. Sean says:

We have to see how Sammy and Ben work as partners, no doubt it should have another season!

26. Alex says:

This without question is the best show on TV. The scriptwriting is realistic. The acting spectacular. The filmaking and editing precise. This show should have won some Emmy’s. I dated a woman who was a NYPD officer who had the Harlem subway as her beat. I spoke to her recently and she said that this is the most realistic police show she’s ever seen. It shows the vulnerability of the human condition….both of the victims, criminals and police themselves. A fantastic show and I certainly hope the brass as TBS pick this up for season 4. A great, great show.

27. Alex says:

Oops…I meant TNT.

28. Marcia says:

Southland is an awesome show!!! Hope there is a season 4!!!! When I was in L.A. couple of yrs. Ago with a friend we were walking down the street and stummbled across them fliming an episode of southland. It was so awesome got to see “sherman” and “john” only 5 feet away from us. Ever since then I’ve been hooked on the show!!!!

29. Danny says:

I was a fan of this show from the get go, but this season the show took another huge step forward, ahead of any other cop show on television.

Sad that we would even have to ponder the fate of such a brilliant show. More Southland please!!!!!

30. Jeff says:

TNT – please renew this show.

31. elario s says:

Please renew it. I got hook on it season 3 was the first season my wife and I started watching now were hunting for the first two seasons. Its just addicting. RENEW TNT

32. Bentley says:

Keep Southland going!!!!

33. Robert says:

I have been watching the show since it started. It has unique filming method that caught my eye. The show resembles “cops” but from a different point of view. As a college student, majoring in Criminal Justice, Southland is undoubtedly My favorite series and would be great full to watch the show succeed and move forword

34. Michael says:

Please renew! Honestly the most gripping and amazing show on television!

35. Tracy says:

This is SUCH a well-done show-the writing and actors are so raw and real–better than anything out there! That finale left me dying to know what would happen. Never missed an episode. PLEASE PLEASE renew!!!

36. rudinski says:

I live in L.A., grew up in the Barrio. Seen the pelones (bald ones) and homeboys live and die in the streets. Lost sleep from LAPD helicopters searching for some ‘ vato loco ‘ that was hiding from them.

It doesn’t get any more realistic than Southland. Seen lots of cop movies and series in the past (remember Adam-12 ? ) but Southland is hands down the most realistic portryal of those men and women who wear the midnight blue of LAPD.

Love them, hate them, they are amongst the nations finest and professional law enforcement men and women in the nation. Please create a Season 4 of Southland, and put back Richard Ramirez’s picture back in the opening collage of bad guys.

37. Ashlee says:

Southland is the only show I REALLY care about watching!! It is dramatic, funny, clever..touching..the best show EVER!!!!!

38. Angie says:

please renew southland for season 4 I love this show and i can see it going on for along time.

39. Carter says:

Please keep southland it is the best show on TV it is thrilling, nail bitting, and keeps me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I was very afriad that southland was canceled forever when NBC canceled southlands series on NBCs channel thankfully TNT grabed the show and plays it on there channel. PLEASE RENEW SOUTHLAND IT IS THE BEST SHOW IN THE WORLD.

40. Doug says:

Southland is one of the very few programs on any network that should be renewed.

41. Lisa Cuddy says:

I am confident for season 4. I just REALLY want Ben & Coop to stay together as partners. Not as “boot” and “Training Officer”, but true partners in every sense of the word….. These two have CRAZY good chemistry together and it needs to continue. As partners, they make Southland what it is.

42. Sandy Le says:

I LOVE this show! It’s my absolute favorite show on TV and I look forward to every Tuesday night!! Please continue the show because it has so much more to offer. It’s beautifully written and the characters are
    amazing.

43. Jim says:

I have been a police officer for 24 years and Southland is by far the best written cop show I can remember seeing. The tactics are sound and the detail is great, even showing an officer taking down names for the crime scene log. I hope there is a 4th season to see where the characters go.

44. S. Rossomando says:

The cast RoCkS! The plots are exciting- why the hell wouldn’t there be a 4th season?!

45. NIcolo says:

Love this show, I found about it accidentally and I think its the best filmed and acted cop show since a while on TV. It merits more attention as no one knows about it and the friends I showed it to they love it.

46. kathleen says:

YES!! I really love this show and will cry if it is cancelled!. My husband, too. I doubt he’ll cry though. Do not let this show be cancelled!!!

47. jake says:

i think thre should be 4th season this is such a o show they would be dumb not too.!!!!!!!!

48. johnny drake says:

I love the show please bring in back. Great writes and story lines.

49. Kathy says:

SOOO glad to see others appreciate this show as I do. It’s gritty and unpleasant at times, but isn’t that the way it goes with life? How often do networks deliver dramas with such strong acting and story-telling skills? As a high school English teacher, I applaud their efforts to deliver compelling, engaging storylines week after week.

50. Lisa says:

Definitely needs to come back, best show. Needs to defintely have more episodes 10 just not enough!!!! Can’t wait unitl season 4!!!