RuPaul's Drag Race Photo Recap: Funny or Die

Monday night on RuPaul’s Drag Race, the queens brought out their best stand-up routines. Shangela reigned triumphant by concocting a character that blended pimp and ho into one delectably raucous package. (“They say, ‘Laqueefa, where your ho’s at?’ I say, ‘B****, don’t you see I’m wearing four pair of hose right here holding back my [bleep]?!'”) Manila Luzon fell flat by digging in the mothballs for some jokes about the gay subtext of PBS’ children’s programming. But it was Delta Work who was (rightfully) sent packing after making some thuddingly awful rape jokes that produced the sounds of uncomfortable silence in the audience. Below, we recap the action through the art of the screengrab.

Shangela comes to a realization about one of her foes: "I know that Manila has more faces than my foot has blisters after a show."

Shangela brutally "reads" Delta with a two-word greeting: "Mimi Imfurst!" BURN!

Manila breaks out the International expression for "Uh-oh, you're following Shangela."

Rita Rudner offers an important lesson from the comedy rulebook: "There's nothing funny about a good-looking person doing well who's confident."

A picture is worth 1,000 words explaining why everyone expected Carmen would end up on the chopping block.

Shangela unleashes her post-modern pimp-ho:

No, baby, no.

The following exchange about Yara Sofia's insane routine made my day. Guest judge Arden Myrin: "It felt like it could be at the Whitney Museum as a performance." RuPaul: "The Whitney and Bobby Museum!"

Delta Work prays for mercy during her performance of "MacArthur Park."

But it's no use: Manila isn't merely lipsynching for her life, she's committing a flagrant act of murder up on the stage! Manila Luzon, chanté, you stay.

1. John Berggren says:

I’ll say it again – SHANGELA. Dark Horse Winner.

Also Delta work needs to lose her attitude. She didn’t lose to “another Heather (again yuck)” – she lost to Shangela b!+¢h! The other Heather came in second to last.

And someone needs to Clockwork Orange those b!+¢hes with the movie HEATHER. If that’s what they aspire to, I wouldn’t want anything to do with them.

2. nonny says:

Could they be more obvious setting up the Raja/Shangela finale?

Not that that’s wholly objectionable, of course. I hope Raja wipes the floor with her.

3. Captain Canuck says:

Shangela is a hack! Everyone (including you Slezak) is giving Manila a hard time for stake material, but Shangela’s jokes were as well. That fur coat joke is word for word from an hbo comedy special! Don’t get me started on the fact that she can’t even do her own make-up! Time for Shangela to go! Team Raja!

4. sue says:

I love Raja

5. tuppy says:

Can you post a poll to see if readers’ allegiances are with the Heathers or the Boogers? I’m very curious. In my household, we can’t imagine liking Shangela (though Alexis and Yara are fine), cause she’s a classic s**t-stirrer in the Raven vain. We like Raja, Manilla, and (begrudgingly) Carmen. I’m sensing, though, that there’s a lot of people out there who hate the Heathers and like Shangela. I’m really interested in what the breakdown is audience-wide.

6. alex levine says:

Shangela “I-came-after-them-with-a-strategy” needs to be knocked down a peg or two. It’s obvious she’s getting preferencial treatment from RuPaul. She’s a kniving bitch. Atleast Heathers are looking out for each other, while she’s ready to screw everyone over. Also hated the way she treated Manila when she went over to explain herself. It happened earlier in the season as well, Manila tried to make nice and Shangela just blew her off. Manila is your supposedly “good friends” boyfriend, so don’t be a bitch, OKAAY!

7. david says:

Thanks for covering DragRace! From day one, this season’s tone has been uniquely desperate and cut-throat. These girls think they’re on Project Runway or American Idol, no…really! Gone is the DragRace of casual kiki-ing and good natured ribbing on one another. The last few weeks have shown the ugly side of the gay school playground… cliques,passive aggresive knitpicking, and NASTY personal confrontations/attacks (Raja– who at her age, should know and conduct herself more maturely; Delta– who I THOUGHT had more class than Raja). By the way, who knew that Delta’s “You come in like a lion, and go out like a lamb!” jab at Shangela last week, would be boomerang back, describing her very own demise, the next challenge. Raja is such a Silverlake clubkid poser; pretentious “rock n roll” hag with recycled 1990’s editorial fashion statements. Sadly, Delta seemed to be that mix of seasons past– unique in her own right, kind of bitchy, funny, but still maintained an air of sweetness and class toward the other girls. Boy was I wrong! This season is actually an embarrassment. Becuase this show also airs on VH1, mainstream viewers are also seeing how divisive and mean we can be toward each other, within our own community. Not a proud season for DragRace. I thought Ru had a better handle on her producers, and was a classier dame than this.

8. Buffy Freak says:

There isn’t one DQ from this season that would finish in the top 4 or 5 from the first two seasons. The reads were douchechill-inducing and the stand up comedy was about 90% standing up, 5% kneeling and 5% comedy.

• david says:

Those reads were God-awful! What a round-up of uninspired whitless queens this season! Shangela was the cute underdog for me, but is now just a shrill chiwowa, “hallelu”ing nonstop– the schtick’s done, honey. hang it up. Delta WAS quippy and funny– the adorable “Raven” of this season… until she got very UGLY, ganging up (with trite Raja) on Shangela. Everyone is so desperate to win, that it’s really altering the entire tone of the season. Neither the fashion nor the personalities hold a candle to last season. No wonder Santino’s gone. He has nothing worthy of critique. Much lower level talent this season. While the challenges are certainly more unique, the contestants are NOT.

9. Holly says:

This whole season there’s been something I haven’t liked about Raja. It’s hard to put into words. She’s just rubbed me the wrong way.

• Mary O says:

Me too! I so totally do NOT like Raja! It doesn’t help that he makes a not attractive dq. There’s really no one left that I really like. Disappointing as I LOVE this show!

10. Riki Tiki Tavi says:

It is hard not to compare this year’s show to the previous ones. Still, I think these girls came better prepared and certainly benefitted from watching previous seasons. What I do not like this year is the rancor, poison, and all round aggressive behavior that leaves me hating every contestant. The only one who has had the most positive attitude is Yara Sophia. Raja is a crazy, cross-eyed Victoria Beckham wannabe. She is really an awkward dork who is still upset about high school. Delta ain’t much of a charmer either. She looks more like a Jean Smart heffa than a Delta Burke pageant queen. I also thought Shangela was a bully toad, but I give her props for her awesome comedy. Carmen need serious orthodontic help for that overbite. Wish Ru found some queens with heart.

Also, I totally agree on the stupid Heathers reference. Don’t they know the Heathers hated each other and that Veronica was Victorious? Dumbos.

11. Mary O says:

Okay, I am obviously out of touch. What are they referring to with the Heather thing? I have tried to find out but am just not finding it!

12. Elizabeth says:

Shangela is my girl and Raja is a BITCH. People who like her are just bandwagoners. Ok so she’s won a couple competitions? SO what? She’s ugly as hell and there are a lot more deserving girls to win. Now that Shangela is gone… Go Alexis!

13. Melissa says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who dislikes Raja. First of all, Nina Flowers did the tatted up androgynous look 10 times better. Second, those crossed eyes bug the crap out of me. Not to mention the fact that she doesn’t try to alter her voice when she is in drag. It comes across as a straight man dressing up for Halloween. And her runway walk is horrendous. I’m sorry. Maybe she thinks it looks good from her NTM days, but it’s ridiculous. Maybe she’s making up for the fact that she has no curves and doesn’t pad by throwing her hips to and fro? I don’t know, but it’s B-A-D. And besides throwing weak shade, she has no talent. No comedy, no singing, no acting. She makes goofy faces and imitates. Big woop. And, I have to say, aside from season 1 with BeBe, all of the winners appear to be c*nts. Maybe Ru is too and that’s what she likes. What a disappointment. I’d like to see a nice, decent person win something every once in a while, rather than people who would eat their own to make a dime.

14. Melissa says:

Oh, and Mary O, the “Heather” reference is from the movie “Heathers”, where all of the popular girls in the high school were named Heather. And what Riki Tiki Tavi is pointing out is that all of the Heathers in the movie met a very bad end, be it death or a fall from the rungs of the popular elite. So, naming yourself a “Heather” is pretty stupid actually. I wish one of the girls, like Shangela, would have started refering to herself as JD or Veronica. That would have been calssic.

And as far as Shangela, I was rooting for her all along. I liked her attitude and hated how the other girls were dismissive of her. Aside from some disappointment at her leaving Yara high and dry in the performance/comedy challenge, I think she was on the up and up with the way she treated others.

15. Melody says:

I was relieved that Delta went home…..after a rape joke I didn’t like her anymore. Rape isn’t funny and making jokes about it trivializes it.