Fall TV Preview

Human Target On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

Come mid-May (if not occasionally sooner), the networks will be making some tough calls as to which shows will return for the 2011-12 TV season, and which should start packing their bags. In addition to our ongoing “Renew Our Show!” Bracket Tournament, TVLine will single out some “bubble” shows and survey their prospects. The first one in our crosshairs: Fox’s Human Target.

THE SHOW: Human Target (Fox)

THE TIME SLOT: Most recently, Wednesdays at 9/8c.

‘Renew Our Show!’ Sweet 16 Bracket Tournament: Chuck Vs. Human Target

THE CASE FOR KEEPING: Most simply said, we need testosterone TV like this, and ever since the clock ran out on 24‘s Jack Bauer, it’s been Christopher Chance’s (Mark Valley) mantle to carry, and his alone. (Really, who else is walking away slo-mo from fiery explosions anymore? It’s a dying art.) Plus, we already “lost” the excellent Chi McBride once before, when Pushing Daisies got plucked. And thirdly, I give you four words: Jackie. Earle. Frickin’. Haley.

THE CASE FOR CUTTING: Some argue that Human Target misfired in its second season by adding to its manly mix two female series regulars (as well as subtracting the original theme song). I will argue that the character of Ames (played by Janet Montgomery), if thought out more thoroughly, could provide true value to the team. Indira Varma‘s Ilsa, however, seems to be on hand for primarily one reason: to stir up some “Will They/Won’t They?” angst-filled dynamic with Chance, and folks, this just isn’t the show for that. We were absolutely A-OK with Chance having intermittent romantic interests played by gorge guest stars (such as, swoon, Emmanuelle Vaugier).

Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Axed? What’s on the Bubble?

Hit the comments section to make your own case for keeping or cutting Human Target!

Tags:

Comments (215)

• I’m done with this show even if it does come back. They definitely misfired.

Comment by Will – March 8, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t dislike Human Target, but if I had to pick one Fox bubble show, it would be Fringe. Two, Fringe and Lie To Me. Human Target is on the bottom of my list.

Comment by DL – March 8, 2011 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • FOX needs to keep all three but I agree with your order.
        1. Fringe
        2. Lie to Me
        3. Human Target

I actually liked season 2 much more than season 1, so guess I am in the minority. Really hope all three make it!

Comment by Nate – March 9, 2011 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agreed to all of Nate’s points!

Comment by Lizshi – March 10, 2011 02:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I disagree,Human target is the best.fringe is dumb,lie to me is soso.

Comment by gary – August 10, 2011 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Get rid of Ilsa, then I’ll watch a 3rd season. Otherwise, I’ll remove it from my DVR

Comment by Tia – March 8, 2011 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Human Target is HOT!
      The cast has great chemistry.
      There is action, potential romance, strong roles.
      I have a reason to like each member of the cast.
      This show is a keeper! Both my wife and I enjoy it.
      Mark (Christopher Chance) owes that role.
      Chi (Winston) is the glue that holds the team together.
      Every team needs a “Guerrero” on your side! Jackie Earle Haley play the part well (to say the least).
      Because when there is a battle with “crazy” vs “normal”, “crazy” ALWAYS wins.
      Janet Montgomery as Ames brings color and zest.
      I was initially concerned about “Indira Varma” character, “Ilsa Pucci”; I thought she was going to work against the team. But, I’m just as in love with her as Chance! I like her role; she plays it well and she is hot! Did I mention I’m in love with her too?

Comment by Bryant – March 13, 2011 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Please keep Human Target. My husband and I love it. It is also a show my grandson’s can watch with us because it’s not full of gore and violence. (they’re teenagers). It is a fun show. Fox, please bring the show back for one more season. Also I enjoyed Season 2 more than Season 1. Adding Mrs.Pucci and gave more insite into Christopher Chance’s character.

Comment by Sandy – March 17, 2011 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Love all the characters of Human Target, just like Bryant said–it’s Hot! Hope to see it again in Fall 2011 or spring 2012. Great cast, great action & story! My husband & I also really like Lie to Me and Fringe too.
        There just aren’t enough good drama/action shows.
        Hope all 3 shows are coming back!!

Comment by Marianne Kossman – August 10, 2011 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Human Target was/is a great show and continued to get better with viewer anticipation. Crew had great carma and the writing was very good. Great action program which we need on FOX. We as viewers need this program……..

Comment by charles johnson – September 2, 2011 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too.I loved the 1st season then the second season came along and f*cked it up?Why?I like american women in my shows 2 British women with no appeal don’t do it for me.Im not a racist its just my taste.I could care less about Indira varma and Janet montgomery they do nothing for me as actresses.da 3 guys were good enough then they added 2 worthless characters in s2.Get rid of them or cancel the show.

Comment by John Rodriguez – March 29, 2011 11:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I want the show to return for another season, get rid of Ilsa.

Comment by Jeff – April 3, 2011 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The rework of Human Target did not work. The show was destroyed. Pucci offers nothing, Ames, even less. A great show was reduced to mediocre.

Comment by Michael – May 12, 2011 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Human Target, as does my brother, and as do my parents. The characters are well developed and fun to watch! It’s a mistake to cancel the show. Anyone I know who sees the show even once loves it.

Comment by Jenny – July 26, 2011 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Human Target and think it should stay. The romantic part of the show is of no significance to me and therefore can be cut or remain in. However, Chance is sexy and therefore more appealing when he “woos” the female guests. The story lines of each show, though, are very interesting and full of action…which I like

Comment by Beth – September 22, 2011 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it! This show is just plain good entertainment. Our three male leads are so talented and have incredible chemistry together.

Comment by Linda – March 8, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep the show!!!! It’s great entertainment.

Comment by Claire – March 8, 2011 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally a KEEPER…One of my favorite shows…Chance is great and Guerro is a hoot…plus Ames is just…well WOW!!!

Comment by Rob W – March 8, 2011 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I disagree.Guerrero is awesome but Ames is not.Her fake accent doesn’t draw me and she’s useless.Im not a fan of da actress I’m sorry.

Comment by John Rodriguez – March 29, 2011 11:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP HUMAN TARGET. Give it a 2nd “Chance”

Comment by Dawn Venitz – March 8, 2011 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Dawn – good one! Definitely keep it!

Comment by melly – March 8, 2011 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show and would absolutely hate to see it go! It’s a perfect mix of action and adventure. SAVE THIS SHOW!

Comment by Maro – March 8, 2011 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually like Indira Varma on here better than Montgomery. But the show was perfect before they got there. I still say keep it. It’s the best actioner on TV now imo.

Comment by N. – March 8, 2011 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I object both actresses are horrible here.Ive seen better performances from stage actors Im not kidding.Get rid of them both they add nothing to the show.BTW I’m not sexist Because I watch Nikita with Maggie Q and Lyndsy fonseca.They are way better than these 2.Attractive and can fight these 2 don’t cut it.

Comment by John Rodriguez – March 29, 2011 11:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it should be kept, but agree that Ilsa needs to go.

The first season was much better than this season has been, although I do like Janet Montgomery. I’d be happy to just go right back to S1 format, but am guessing that’s not going to happen.

Comment by XK – March 8, 2011 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ames and Pucci both need to go away.

Comment by John Rodriguez – March 29, 2011 11:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep but go back to the formula for season 1. Having the client be related in some way to the team didn’t really work. The newbies can go on recurring (or never show up again). I liked Ilsa but not as a love interest. Ames can just go away. She was practically useless. The three guys were a perfect team. We need a action show on the air. Bring back the old music (especially the theme song).

Comment by Jennifer – March 8, 2011 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! First season was much more exciting to me. More mystery behind Chance, more action, less predictability. It was more interesting when Chance impersonated the “target” rather than just become a glorified bodyguard of the target.

Mrs. Pucci was ok, but ended up getting in the way too often. Ames was an unnecessary addition and really took away some of Guerrero’s “mystery.” I liked it much better when you didn’t know when he was going to turn up.

Oh, and bring back the original theme music – or at least change the opening credits to match the new music.

Fox, please bring the show back for one more season. We need Mark Valley and Chi McBride on our TV screens! :)

Comment by Valerie – March 9, 2011 06:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I actually would have LOVED it, if Ilsa had been a love interest for Winston instead of Chance..

Comment by a. – March 9, 2011 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree.The 2 new “characters” weren’t necessary.the 3 guys were they carried the show.If season 3 has the newbies come back I’m never gonna see the show again.

Comment by John Rodriguez – March 29, 2011 11:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like this show and definitely hope that Fox decides to keep it.

I personally wish that networks would decide in advance if they want to get rid of a show. It seems only fair to give the fans a proper finale. But i really hope that we get another season. It was just getting good!

Comment by jennifer – March 8, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In a word: KEEP.

I very much agree with your “Case for Keeping,” but I for one was a bit bored with the first season and thought the addition of Ilsa Pucci and Ames dramatically IMPROVED the series. I’m a little biased because I’m a fan of Indira Varma, but while I understand that part of her character’s purpose is to create will-they-won’t-they angst (which I don’t mind), I like her character independently and am interested in her background. Frankly, I found it hard to believe that Christopher Chance could have fallen in love with or cared so much about so many dang women, regardless of the fact that they were all stunning. And I like the Ames-Guerrero friendship-type-thing they’re building. The cases themselves seem to be improving, too. You really have to suspend reality, but that’s really nice to do for an hour each week. Besides: It sits just fine on Wednesday evenings, when there isn’t much else worth watching. So yeah. Keep. The women have made the dynamic a little more interesting, and have opened up a lot of possibilities.

Comment by Cass – March 8, 2011 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Human Target is a great show and I love the additions of Janet Montgomery and Indira Varma. Varma was fabulous in HBO’s Rome and brings a dark sexiness to the show. Human Target is my guilty pleasure. Keep it!

Comment by Sharon Durmaskin – March 8, 2011 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with Cass. The show was good the first season and even better the second. Fox only gave Human Target and Lie to Me half season pick-ups each this year. One of them was sceduled for the Fall and then the other in the Spring. One Fox’s full year shows was a misfire from the get go (can’t remember which one-but it was cancelled early in the new season)and both shows were broadcast in the Fall. I think both Human Target and Lie to Me should be given at least the same deal they had this year. They are both good shows and have served Fox well.

Comment by Mamma Mia – March 8, 2011 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it!

It’s not as good as the first season, but even Ames is starting to grow on me. Momma needs some hunky-guy action/adventure in her tv-viewing week!

Comment by Pangolin – March 8, 2011 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it! It’s fun, and exciting, Mark Valley is hot, and Jackie Earle Haley is brilliant. Janey Montgomery is great and adds a great co-conspirator to “Guerrero”. I really liked this season and have fingers and toes crossed that is stays.

Comment by K M – March 8, 2011 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t like Janet m she doesn’t appeal to me.

Comment by John Rodriguez – March 29, 2011 11:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ames name is actually Janet Montgomery not Janey. (if you want to change that Matt) :)

Comment by Josiah – March 8, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep Human Target!! Our household would be greatly appreciative and happy if the honchos did, in fact, even if for another 13 eppies, keep this show around longer. We love our weekly testosterone fix!

Comment by Stacey – March 8, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it!!! The is the most purely entertaining shows on tv. I love the guys, all of them, and I like what Ilsa brings to the show. I don’t think Ames adds a whole lot, but I don’t mind her either. I thought the show was at its very best during the season finale. Hope it comes back!

Comment by DotDotDot – March 8, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP KEEP KEEP
    If only for the outstanding original stunt scenes. The weekly stories may not always be that great but the show somehow comes up with great action sequences. Going back to S1 where Chance was fighting inside the airduct on a train was great! There have been great fight scenes during the two seasons that make other “established” shows look like they just replayed a scene from a previous season and just changed the baddie. I give kudos to the stunt team and Mark Valley for the great work they do.
    PLEASE KEEP THIS SHOW

Comment by Meredith – March 8, 2011 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it. Definite appointment television, one of the few shows I make the time to watch LIVE these days. :)

Comment by Dan – March 8, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoy this show for the joy of watching things blow up, not for any “will-they-won’t-they” angst. Plus, Jackie Earle Haley as Guerrero is absolutely fantastic. The other characters are more scared of Guerrero than they are of Chance. That says something. I say keep it around.

Comment by Dreamrose – March 8, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The second season was such a disappointment after the first one, but I would still like it to come back to try to get on track. Get rid of Ilsa though, and maybe have Tony Hale on it a few more times.

Comment by Kevin J – March 8, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Kevin J – March 8, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP! I absolutely love this show and preferred the 2nd season. I think Mrs. Pucci really added to the show. So hope it returns in the fall!

Comment by Susan – March 8, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cut Human Target. Save Fringe instead. Olivia Dunham doesn’t walk away from huge explosions, she runs into them.

Comment by trish – March 8, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • hahahahahahaha! If it’s one or the other, definitely save FRINGE–without doubt, without hesitation. But I’d love for HUMAN TARGET to survive, too.

Comment by Cass – March 8, 2011 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not a fan of weak women, so sometimes Ilsa hits a sour note with me. I loved her when she was in the hotel going after the woman who was behind Marshal’s death. She was strong, forceful, focused and determined. That’s an Ilsa I can enjoy more of from time to time when she’s not being an annoying micro-manager.

Comment by Stacey – March 8, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Im not a fan of week women either.They need to be strong physically and mentally.I don’t mind a damsel in distress every now and then but a main female shouldnt be a weakling.IIlsa is a weak character and so is Ames.Nikita can blow these girls away just by looking at them.Maggie Q is sexier and stronger than these 2 combined.

Comment by John Rodriguez – March 29, 2011 11:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep. We do need testosterone! The show is a great mix of action, suspense and something my beloved 24 never had – humor.

Comment by Angel – March 8, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it and keep Ames but move Ilsa down to recurring (every fourth or fifth episode).

Comment by Doug – March 8, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep. Love this show. Great cast. Fun stories.

Comment by Pamela – March 8, 2011 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoy this show on the strength of the original cast. I’d watch Mark Valley in anything. But if it comes down to it – make way for FRINGE.

Comment by John Berggren – March 8, 2011 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I say KEEP! I tried to like it during season 1 but simply could not get into it. After I read they revamped it a bit, I tried out season 2 and enjoyed it quite a bit. I hated Ames in the beginning but she grew on me. And I liked Ilsa from day 1. The three core characters are great together.
    Disclaimer: I never read the comics, ergo, I do not care that season 1 was more faithful to the comics than season 2 was.

Comment by Pam – March 8, 2011 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it! The main guys do a fabulous job in their roles, though I admit to being a little biased in favour of Jackie Earle Haley in particular. I didn’t have any big issues with the second season beyond the theme song change. Both female characters grew on me throughout the season. I really hope to see the entire group again in another season of action-filled fun.

Comment by Shannon – March 8, 2011 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the additions they made to the cast made me nervous at first but the second season was way better than the first to me. Don’t really care for the romance with Chance and Ilsa but i think the show is really clicking now

Comment by Joe – March 8, 2011 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope they keep it! I enjoyed season 1 a lot and season 2 even more! I think the cast is great and both of the ladies added more fun and interest to the show.

Comment by Lee Wendell – March 8, 2011 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree 100% I HATE Ilsa Puchy, Coochy whatever her name lol. I agree with keeping ames and giving Chance a female of the week. I actually thought there was more chemistry between Chance and the FBI agent (Emmanuelle Vaugier) than with Ilsa. And I also liked their underdog “it’s time to repay the favor” attitude when it came to making ends meet last season than being a corporation paid for by Ilsa-what’s-her-face. I officially removed it from my DVR until they either cancel it or remove Ilsa’s characer from the show.

Comment by RJ – March 8, 2011 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The addition of the two women didn’t hurt this show at all. I was afraid that it would, but no! More!

Comment by Eilis Flynn – March 8, 2011 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Out of the 3 FOX bubble shows, I want Fringe renewed. First and foremost.

Comment by Aimee – March 8, 2011 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My Fox bubble preference-

1. FRINGE
    2. Lie to Me
    3. Human Target

Comment by Dan – March 8, 2011 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’am on bubble too with this show-use to like it better.Don’t care for the new addition of Pucci that much.I do agree with that Chance is great and Guerro is a hoot.Please go back to just the 3guys Mark Valley an Jackie Earle Haley an Guerrero an let the client pay for expenditures.<My opinion.I DVR show to watch in different time slot.

Comment by maureen – March 8, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Forgot to add that Bones and House are only other shows on fox we watch.

Comment by maureen – March 8, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Human Target (but I LOVE Fringe more!) Also hate the Ilsa character. I just don’t see the chemistry there.

Comment by Dennis – March 8, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep It

Comment by Bob – March 8, 2011 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show but we could lose the females. I liked the occasional love interest. That being said, I like Lie to Me better. LOVE Tim Roth.

Comment by GirlieQ – March 8, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it! Valley is the next tv action star and the show has great fight scenes, funny character interaction and good people involved. It’s gotten ratings whatever night it’s been bounced around to throughout the year.

Comment by Sandy – March 8, 2011 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it!!!

Comment by Chris – March 8, 2011 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it. I only started watching after they added the ladies. It definitely has its flaws, but it’s still better then a lot of the other crap out there. It’s pure popcorn fun, with a cool, different premise and a great leading star (and Rorschach, who steals every scene he’s in!). Maybe the ratings would be better with a good pairing and less schedule shifting next year.

Comment by RP – March 8, 2011 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I only watch three Fox shows: Bones, Human Target and Lie To Me.

Comment by Anna – March 8, 2011 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep it. It’s a lot of action comic fun; however, if it was on opposite Chuck like it was a couple weeks ago – I would stick with Chuck.

Comment by Emily – March 8, 2011 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely keep it. Loved this season and thought the addition of the two female leads helped a lot.

Comment by Caroline – March 8, 2011 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ah no they didn’t in my opinion.they should have never been added:they’re annoying,useless,and theyre one of the reasons the show lost most of its appeal.Da only cool moment I’d when guerrero punched Ames in the face.Really funny and she deserved it for wasting my time.Either recast them with American or Canadian actresses or remove them.they are not needed or wanted.

Comment by John Rodriguez – March 29, 2011 11:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Could not possibly agree more with his take on the “Case for cutting”. If they went back to the season 1 dynamic, I would love the show back. If it is like season 2, I will not care as I will not watch anyways…

Comment by Darren – March 8, 2011 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP THE SHOW! Love it, and look forward to it every week!

Comment by Ange – March 8, 2011 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP – love Mark and Chi together. I like the addition of Ilsa, if only to see Jackie Earl get under her skin.

Comment by pnkl8y – March 8, 2011 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like diversity in my shows and there really aren’t a lot of pure action shows on tv. And HT throws in the charming and fun qualities that are completely missing from most shows, let alone an action show.

Human Target renewal please.

Comment by Mikos – March 8, 2011 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post