The Amazing Race Recap: A Dirty Shame

If you got a little choked up at the end of Sunday night’s episode of The Amazing Race, it’s okay. Phil Keoghan’s tear ducts got activated, too — even if he could easily have blamed the cold, rainy Japanese weather for the misty glow in his eyes after father-son team Mel and Mike White chose life (actual) over life in The Race and limped to the pit stop without having completed their final task. Join me below to recount the action in a dozen dazzling screengrabs.

Just in case you had any doubts about Taylor Swift's global reach...

"I think he made it a lot more dramatic than it needed to be," Cara says of the Japanese guy who called the police after she smashed his car mirror in a minor traffic accident. Making things more dramatic while the reality TV cameras are rolling? Outrageous!

Not sure if the samurai master is suppressing a howl over Kent's eyebrow game or his exaggerated whispers of "Mastaah, sank you." Either way, not the best day for America's global reputation.

"There's little statues right there! Look!" yells Mallory. She's talking about the stone bear, not the adorable Japanese children in front of it, right?

Former beauty queen Mallory continues her quest for 'Unfinished Business' sound bite MVP with this one-two punch: "Oh man! Like Miss America all over again, only 50 pounds heavier!" "You're gonna have two redheads comin' through! They're gonna look pretty good in this outfit, don't worry!"

Kent shows us that even complete strangers can benefit from a little "hug with tongue" action.

Nothing says father-daughter bonding like standing underneath a brutal blast of 45-degree water for a full minute.

Flight Time completes the "absconding with opponent's fanny pack" portion of the Shinto religious cleansing ritual.

"If a guy gets out of a car in his underwear and asks you for directions in the States, you run the other way. Here, they don't even bat an eye," says Justin, explaining another little-known difference between America and Japan.

Sometimes winning is as easy as not letting your father die of hypothermia while looking for a frog statuette in a freezing mud pit in Japan.

"We're calling this a big, giant lump of panda poo." Hey, whatever gets you through The Race.

It's okay, Phil, let those tears out. Your umbrella-holders won't judge you.

1. t.t says:

So glad Jamie and Cara are still in the race. I swear I was on the edge of my seat throughout the race.

2. AlistairCrane says:

For the longest time I thought Mel and Mike were gay lovers. The son looks SO old!!

3. dctoronto says:

Michael, the recap using pictures instead of words for your recap is kind of lame. You would never do this to AI.
    The mud fight/frog hunt made me miss Kris and the fact that I lost out at the chance of seeing him wearing nothing but a mini sumo outfit.
    This is my second season saying that the ‘trotters don’t play fair. Last time around it was using their team recognition and this time it’s doing things like accidently taking fanny packs and not putting them back where they found them. It’s bad sportsmanship. I also was not impressed when they piad back Zev and Justin for helping them by giving them the last seats on the earlier plane only to to confide to the camerea they did not want to take a connecting flight anyways. Way to play boys.

• Varya says:

I like the photo recaps….. adds some variety. Keep ’em coming!!

• kikidee says:

I was settling down with my lunch for a nice recap, only to find it’s over before I unwrapped my bologna and dirt sandwich. Come on…I followed you hear from EW, now give me some love. Lame!

• Lisa says:

Read Darren Franich’s recaps at EW – hilarious, insightful and always picks up on the same little things I notice And four-pages long! This may be my last Sleazak recap – vey frustrating how he totally phones it in for such a great show.

4. Peter says:

I wonder how the globetrotters will react when they realized they were given a penalty AFTER they checked into the pit stop.

5. Carmen SanDiego says:

a recap using pictures instead of words is not a recap
    c’mon

6. Larry says:

This recap sucks. picture are not a recap. What was the order of finish.

7. Jeff says:

Gotta agree, this wasn’t any kind of recap, just led me to go to the EW recap (which was 4 pages of recap, funny and covered some things I missed when I was watching the episode.)

8. DenverDave says:

I love the pictures with captions! Thanks for your creativity, oh great Slezak. I would love to see some actual commentary along with it next week.

ps – When are you guys going to wrangle Jeff Jensen away from the competition?

9. Sean says:

My Random Thoughts:

– Jaime and Cara ran into some car troubles, in the form of driving into another car. While they were dealing with the situation, Jaime said “The language barrier here makes it very difficult to communicate,” which was a decidedly different approach than her last exposure to non-English speaking people she would encounter on the Race. I suppose it’s just human nature when the other person is on the phone with the police after you’ve driven into their car! Maybe this isn’t the best time to yell “Learn English!”

– Did you see the flag-waving kids at the clue box for the Detour? At first, they were enthusiastically waving their mini Japanese flags over their heads as the teams arrived, but as the last few teams arrived, their interest was clearly waning, and the flags were apathetically being waved at their knees…and by the time Jaime and Cara arrived, they were hardly moving at all, obviously just hoping they could head home soon.

After you’re done here at TVline, I hope you’ll check out the rest of my recap at http://sfurfaro.blogspot.com/2011/03/amazing-race-recap-are-we-about-to-get.html

10. Sean says:

My Random Thoughts:

After you’re done here at TVline I hope you’ll check out the rest of my recap at http://sfurfaro.blogspot.com/2011/03/amazing-race-recap-are-we-about-to-get.html

11. Sara says:

For the record, I enjoy the photo recap, and I read yours AND EW’s. If I wanted to read a blow-by-blow recap, I’d go to cbs.com. I’m looking for humorous commentary and this suits that need just fine. So eff the haters, Slezak!