Exclusive: Law & Order: LA to Relaunch in April

Get More: News, Scheduling News, Scoop

Get ready for Law & Order: Los Angeles 2.0.

Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that a retooled version of Dick Wolf’s latest franchise extension will return to NBC’s schedule with a two-hour episode on Monday, April 11 at 9/8c before settling into its regular Monday 10/9c time slot the following week. (Current occupant Harry’s Law completes its freshman run on April 4.)

LOLA — which premiered to disappointing ratings and reviews — has undergone a slew of cast changes since getting pulled off the air earlier this year. (I’m told new NBC president Robert Greenblatt was very hands-on during the revamp.) When the dust settled, original cast members Skeet Ulrich, Regina Hall and Megan Boone were gone. Additionally, Alfred Molina’s DA character, Ricardo Morales, will now work the detective beat alongside Corey Stoll’s TJ Jaruszalski. And Alana De La Garza will reprise her role as ADA Connie Rubirosa from the L&O mothership. Terrence Howard remains as DDA Jonah Dekker.

Will you watch the new (and hopefully improved) LOLA when it returns this spring?

Comments (90)

• the problem wasn’t the actors. It was the writing and the location. Try as they might, LA is not the canvas on which to paint law and order. The answer is not the cast==but the location–NYC is the canvas, not LA. Btw, the use of the mothership voice over at the beginning of LOLA amounts to the television version of sacrilege. These ARE NOT their stories.

Comment by jk – March 8, 2011 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agree that Howard’s character is not edgy enough – he needs to toughen up. Didn’t really like Molina’s character to begin with and really doubt the new role. Loved Regina Hall. Corey Stoll also good. But really watched for Skeet Ulrich, although I agree that his character was too confined and stiff. The writing was awful, and the storylines pretty dull. Without Skeet and Regina doubt I’ll stick with it just for Stoll.

Comment by shelly – March 8, 2011 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is simple: NO SKEET ULRICH……..NO LOLA. SKEET IS THE BEST ACTOR IN HOLLYWOOD AND DUMPING HIM WAS A HUGE MISTAKE.

Comment by Maureen – March 8, 2011 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No No and NO!!!! I have been fan of just about anything Law and Order Related but LOLA was not L&O to me. L&O shows not set in New York are just not right. Not even adding lovely Alana De la Garza can save this disaster.

Comment by john – March 8, 2011 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will try it again. I didn’t like Skeet, but his partner is very good. Love Alfred Molina. Frankly, there was a certain something that L&O being done in New York
    had….a sharpness that LA just hasn’t had. Hopefully, this retooling will work, but
    I’m not holding my breath.

Comment by Susan Rasmussen – March 8, 2011 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have loved and adored every ‘Law & Order’. I even watch the British ones.
    But I never liked L&O:LA. New York City is a character in the show…LA doesn’t have that same feel.
    I only watched it because Skeet Ulrich was in it. If he’s gone, I won’t be watching it any more. I can’t stand either one of those ADAs.
    How realistic is it to think a state prosector is going to give up law and go back to being a detective? Give me a break.
    With ‘Harry’s Law’ gone, that frees up an hour. So I only have to be concerned with HAWAII FIVE O and CASTLE.

Comment by KH – March 8, 2011 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the L&O franchise, but LOLA is more boring than a monotone chemistry professor. THoward is cool, but character is waay too stiff. He uses the same facial expression for every emotion. Skeet was a dud. It’s surprising that a show in the L&O family stunk so bad, so soon. It went into Titanic mode in less than 6 episodes. Yikes…. I know SVU has jumped the shark, but I love the show, great chemistry. I will watch SVU until wheels fall off. LOLA needs a little of the heat and sexy that SVU brings to the table. Rubirosa will bring some new energy, but Molina won’t be enough. The changes have piqued my interest. We shall see.

Comment by shacdaddy – March 8, 2011 11:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I normally don’t watch the procedural law/order type of shows. I only tuned in because I love to watch Ulrich and think he is a very talented REAL actor and not melodramatic and soap operish (Howard). The best part of the show was the chemistry between Stoll and Ulrich with Molina equally strong. I believe Molina as DA far more than Howard and the switch to cop is just plain ridiculous. I will not be watching once Ulrich’s last episode airs and hope that Corey Stoll finds another job once this is cancelled as it should be. He is also a strong and compelling actor on screen.

Regina was good and started to get into her grove, Boone is a good actress, just miscast for she was too young looking for that part.

Comment by Sam – March 9, 2011 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • invest in Delhi property
    visit : http;//www.swastikkalash.com

Comment by mr. sisodia – March 9, 2011 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I find it interesting everyone is concentrating on the cast. I think the original cast was great. The writing and directing, not so much. Actors give what the directors promote. I believe the entire cast was accomplished and the blame should not be on any of them. The show is bland because of the writing and the director’s inability to get energy out of his cast. If the script sucks, it takes a miracle and a lot of work to make the good things happen. The cast did not need to be retooled, the writing staff did.

Comment by Sherman Glasco – March 12, 2011 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO Skeet Ulirich, NO watching LOLA!!
    Bring back Skeet Ulrich!!

Comment by Melissa – March 13, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • skeet was the best part and the only reason I watched LOLA. Who made the stupid desition of getting rid of him?

Comment by Elizabeth – March 14, 2011 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Terrance Howard, but he is NOT good on this show. Doesn’t make sense to make a lawyer a detective to me. I’ll miss Regina Hall. Hoping for the best, but Skeet Ulrich’s detective was one of the better characters on the show. So many good actors how could it turn out so bad?

Comment by RMHF – March 21, 2011 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry, but no Skeet…..no LOLA for me.

Comment by teresa – April 5, 2011 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Skeet was the only good thing about the show. I won’t watch it without him.

Comment by Alina – April 7, 2011 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not only do I agree that the only reason I watched was for Skeet Ulrich and now that he is gone, I have my doubts. But the main thing is they are now in competition with Castle AND Hawaii 5-0 which is the kiss of death for me. I can only watch/record so much so something has to go. Why they would put a failing show up against two heavy hitters is beyond me.

Comment by saltysr – April 7, 2011 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Read all of the comments and here’s my take: Alfred Molina is always great, but he was better as a DA

Comment by maggieb – May 23, 2011 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post