Exclusive

Exclusive Greek Post Mortem: The Show Is Over, But There's Still More to See!

And just like that, Greek is gone. But what a sweet finale it was. Join me to find out why series mastermind Sean Smith chose to end the ABC Family charmer the way he did, plus get exclusive scoop on why and how there’s still new Greek to be seen.

[Warning: If you've yet to see Monday night's finale, steer clear -- West Coasters, this means you!]

Before we delve into the ah-mazing series finale, I have some exciting exclusive news: Greek may be over, but following its West Coast airing, fans can head to iTunes for the extended director’s cut of the episode, which runs five minutes longer than the broadcast version. Two additional scenes are available in the ep, including one in which Evan and Cappie (finally) making amends. A specific time for the iTunes posting isn’t available yet, but it will stick around for two weeks. And if you miss your date with iTunes, Netflix will also carry the extra-filled episode.

As showtime neared, TVLine spoke with Greek showrunner Sean Smith to discuss the final moments of his lovable coming-of-age story, which, let’s face it, was so much more than a series about fraternities and sororities.

TVLINE | How are you feeling now that Greek is officially over?
I’ve been a wreck leading up to it. It’s sadness and confusion and pride, and a gift to get to do as many episodes as we did with characters that I love so much and with people that I love working with.

TVLINE | Let’s talk about the finale: How was it decided to make Kappa Tau and their house such a pivotal part of the last episode?
The spirit of KT is kind of the heart of the series. It represented everything that Rusty had started the series wanting, it was the growth place and coming of age location for Cappie — everyone had an experience there in the house and it felt like it was the thing that represented the series most. We’ve had tons of finales about whether ZBZ was going to lose their charter, or if Casey was going to be president, but we’ve never put the house in jeopardy, so I felt like we’d earned that after four years. I knew coming into this season that I wanted to put the KT way of life in jeopardy.

TVLINE | Following through on KT’s demolition was a huge shock and incredibly emotional. How did that come to fruition?
Destroying the set was powerful. We took bulldozers down to our sets and ran them through the Kappa Tau house, and when it first hit, I gasped. For the longest time, I’d imagined that they’d save the house in the end and it would be great and Lasker Parkes (Jonathan Silverman) would listen to them, but it just felt too familiar and too easy — not Greek enough. So I called our line producer and said I wanted to tear down the house. I talked to the network about it and they said, “No you don’t,” and I’m like, “I do,” and they’re like, “No, you don’t” and I’m like, “I really do. We have to!” It took a lot of figuring it out logistically and getting the network to see what it represented — it had to mean something. It wasn’t about destroying something, it was about overcoming this adversity and knowing that our kids were going to be OK. It’s giving them the biggest loss, but showing that they can persevere. And that’s what I wanted to do with Casey and Cappie with their relationship, saying that as long as they’re together, no matter what, they can pursue anything.

TVLINE | Speaking of Cappie, what’s the deal with his real name?!
Cappie’s name speaks to that [perseverance] as Captain John Paul Jones and “We’ve only just begun” — to be a rally cry for millennials. People tell you the real world sucks, and you can change that.

TVLINE |The finale finally gave fans a gracious resolution between Evan and Cappie. Was rekindling their friendship always part of the plan?
Definitely. We realized the power of the threat to the friendship of Cappie and Evan once we were able to make them friends and Casey was not an issue. The will-they-won’t-they couple became will Evan and Cappie going to be friends? We explored that in the Beaver episode, when he pointed out that as long as Evan has feelings for Casey, he’s never going to be able to be friends with Cappie. I wanted him to purge her completely, something that took him four years to say that this is not meant to be, goodbye to Casey Cartwright.

TVLINE | And I have to ask: What was the real deal with Evan’s sudden arm cast?
I had to script in Evan’s broken arm the day before production on the finale began because Jake McDorman actually broke his hand. Still hate him for that. [Laughs]

TVLINE | A lot of key scenes in the finale seemed to parallel memorable moments from seasons past — namely those sibling-stairway chats between Casey and Rusty.
That was emotional. When I saw an early cut of that scene, it didn’t capture the depth of what that represented — they were both arcing, so this was huge! The focus of the series, to me, was always about this brother and sister coming together. If he hadn’t gone to Cyprus Rhodes, they might not have this good relationship. And they’ve now gone through this adventure together and are always going to be there for each other. And that’s what I always thought was so winning about that relationship; for Rusty, part of him wanting to be in the greek system was him wanting to be closer to his sister.

TVLINE | How did you decide what the final scene of the series would be?
I wanted this last scene to hearken back to our first finale which, if you’ll remember, was Casey and Rusty heading off for winter break together and she leaves Cappie on the corner and they drive off together. I really loved that moment and what it represented in their journey, as much as now it’s Cappie getting in the car with Casey as opposed to Rusty. There was symmetry there that I really liked.

TVLINE | You’ve said that you didn’t want complete closure in the finale so that the characters can live on in this world you’ve created. Where do you think Cappie and Casey ended up?

I’m fairly certain that Casey and Cappie died in a car accident — that they got about a mile down the road and then they got hit by a semi. [Laughs] I didn’t want closure so I could imagine where they were going. I think Casey and Cappie got to Washington, and I think he found something exciting and satisfying for him. I think Casey got to kick ass and I’d like to think that they ended up together forever, but it’s tough to say. For me, keeping it open allowed me to have the imagination to think of where I want them to go, as much as I want the audience to do the same.

TVLINE | What’s next for you?
I’m enjoying time off and I’m also developing whatever is next. I have a couple irons in the fire and a script commitment to Imagine Television, which I’m really excited about because I’m a huge Friday Night Lights and Parenthood fan. And hopefully I’ll get to do half of all the stuff I got to do on Greek, and have as good of an experience as I did for this show.

And that’s that. Post your goodbyes/thank yous/love letters to Smith and the cast of Greek below.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Burning Questions, Exclusive, Finales, Interviews, Scoop, Spoilers

1. AS says:

They aired all the seasons of Greek back-to-back here in the UK, and the finale was today! I loved the show and hope there is going to be a spin-off!

2. michelle says:

i really loved it. it was truely everything a show should be! i think it had a lot that us yung adults can learn from! i really wish it did not have to end, i would have love to see wat happen tp cappi an casey as well as evan an rebekah an rusty an ash. i can watch it all over again, this is my favorite show!!! thank you!!!!!! :)

3. Amanda says:

I absolutely loved this show! I have never seen a cast bond as well as they did. They all just seem fit for their roles perfectly. I was very sad to see it go! Havent found anything like it yet:(

4. Rachel says:

I wish there would be another show like Greek. It was such an amazing show and taught so many lessons, not only did it show what being greek is about, it also showed how greek can be a good thing for people as well. It’s not all just about the parties, its much more.

5. Brannas says:

i will never forget this show!!!!they must try to bring this back, wish there were more seasons!! this show is your legacy! Cappie is the best! KT FOREVER!!!

6. Chris says:

I came across this show when I was on netflix and I am glad I did. I watched all 74 episodes in about 2 weeks and it was amazing! I never went to college but I felt like if I had this is what it would have been like, so thank you for that.

7. Krissy says:

Thank you for an amazing show. I have to say that this is the only show that I am addicted to so far and so far the best show I have ever seen. I am really sad to see that the show is over and when it first came out I thought to myself that this was another lame show but I was bored and watched it on Netflix and began to really love it and some of the characters in it. I hate to see how the show ended but thank you so much for creating an amazing show that got my attention. Can you please write and make some more episodes of old and new characters and a new KT house and more traditions being built in it.

8. Lathered says:

I absolutely loved the show, I caught all the episodes on Netflix starting about 4 weeks ago and I just love the this heart filled show. I don’t want the show to end, so maybe there can be a spin off like they did with a different world or like they are about to do with boy meets world, we can follow the lives of cappie and Casey in Washington and have the old cast special guest on the show, it would be absolutely amazing, you writers should think about it because there are many people like me who feel the same way… By the way great ending Sean!

9. chelsea says:

What an amazing tv series! This show has brought me to tears and made me laugh aswell . I’ve always been a fan of casey and cappie & I’m left with such sadness to see it end . KT FOREVER . Will miss it so much !

10. Christan says:

I was on spring break needed something to just take a break with keep my mind off of school, sports, friends etc. and I started watching Greek. Then I had became obsessive you can say staying up till 6am to see what happens. Then the finale came around I watched towards the flash backs. I realized this show has inspired my speech for my highshool class presidential elections. And thanks for that.

11. LeMo says:

I just finished the “marathoning” of this series again..trying to re-live how it was and how the characters were back then…i wonder what happened to them now…any of them making it big in the big screen actively? :) miss the cast..

12. eric says:

This show is so amazing! I zoomed through it about three years back but i watched it again recently and took my time with every episode and it took about 3 months to watch it all again. Noticed so much more and i love all the characters. Man it sucks that this show is over. The only series iv watched more than once and still not tired of it! Well here goes the search for the next meaningful show! If anyone knows of any similar to this please let me know!

13. Laura says:

Smith is a genius writer to make such a wonderful stories like Greek. He was also brilliant in picking up casts that were totally perfect in each character. Specially Scott and spencer who dragged our attention a lot in this tv series. They both had excellent chemistry that had made us hold our breath while watching this to do with Casey-cappie relationship. Never get bored to watch Greek over and over again. What a Brilliant job smith! What an excellent acting Scott and spencer!

14. kayla says:

This tv series is one of the best I’ve seen. I absolutely loved it and could not ask for a better finale. Love you GREEK!!!!

15. I saw this show for the first time my freshman year of college. I wasn’t in my fraternity then, but it offered a glimmer of awe and mystery. Now in my senior year of college, I watched the series over again. This time I was able to relate with so many of the characters, taking a walk down memory lane. Loved the characters, stories, the whole show!!!

16. shawn says:

The series ending was sad for me because there was so much left. Rebecca is president and so is Rusty and they have not graduated yet. For me the series started with them. will dale ever join Kappa Tau? Disappointing end for a great series

17. Conrad says:

I came in late, starting this series at the beginning of the summer. It’s become a comfort that has made me laugh, cry, yell at the characters for being idiots, wonder, hope, and dream. A lot of people think television just rots the brain and ruins lives; while a lot of it does, this is one of the few that shows you how to have ideals, make your mark In the world, and that change can be a powerful thing, but isn’t always bad. It’s given me role models that, despite being fictional, have given me something to aspire to and to hope and work for something better for myself when I get into college. Thank you so much Greek! It’ll be hard to let you go; you were amazing!

18. Greekcrazy says:

Love the show I just finished it and I’m really really really hoping you will continue the series.