Exclusive

Exclusive Greek Post Mortem: The Show Is Over, But There's Still More to See!

And just like that, Greek is gone. But what a sweet finale it was. Join me to find out why series mastermind Sean Smith chose to end the ABC Family charmer the way he did, plus get exclusive scoop on why and how there’s still new Greek to be seen.

[Warning: If you’ve yet to see Monday night’s finale, steer clear — West Coasters, this means you!]

Before we delve into the ah-mazing series finale, I have some exciting exclusive news: Greek may be over, but following its West Coast airing, fans can head to iTunes for the extended director’s cut of the episode, which runs five minutes longer than the broadcast version. Two additional scenes are available in the ep, including one in which Evan and Cappie (finally) making amends. A specific time for the iTunes posting isn’t available yet, but it will stick around for two weeks. And if you miss your date with iTunes, Netflix will also carry the extra-filled episode.

As showtime neared, TVLine spoke with Greek showrunner Sean Smith to discuss the final moments of his lovable coming-of-age story, which, let’s face it, was so much more than a series about fraternities and sororities.

TVLINE | How are you feeling now that Greek is officially over?
I’ve been a wreck leading up to it. It’s sadness and confusion and pride, and a gift to get to do as many episodes as we did with characters that I love so much and with people that I love working with.

TVLINE | Let’s talk about the finale: How was it decided to make Kappa Tau and their house such a pivotal part of the last episode?
The spirit of KT is kind of the heart of the series. It represented everything that Rusty had started the series wanting, it was the growth place and coming of age location for Cappie — everyone had an experience there in the house and it felt like it was the thing that represented the series most. We’ve had tons of finales about whether ZBZ was going to lose their charter, or if Casey was going to be president, but we’ve never put the house in jeopardy, so I felt like we’d earned that after four years. I knew coming into this season that I wanted to put the KT way of life in jeopardy.

TVLINE | Following through on KT’s demolition was a huge shock and incredibly emotional. How did that come to fruition?
Destroying the set was powerful. We took bulldozers down to our sets and ran them through the Kappa Tau house, and when it first hit, I gasped. For the longest time, I’d imagined that they’d save the house in the end and it would be great and Lasker Parkes (Jonathan Silverman) would listen to them, but it just felt too familiar and too easy — not Greek enough. So I called our line producer and said I wanted to tear down the house. I talked to the network about it and they said, “No you don’t,” and I’m like, “I do,” and they’re like, “No, you don’t” and I’m like, “I really do. We have to!” It took a lot of figuring it out logistically and getting the network to see what it represented — it had to mean something. It wasn’t about destroying something, it was about overcoming this adversity and knowing that our kids were going to be OK. It’s giving them the biggest loss, but showing that they can persevere. And that’s what I wanted to do with Casey and Cappie with their relationship, saying that as long as they’re together, no matter what, they can pursue anything.

TVLINE | Speaking of Cappie, what’s the deal with his real name?!
Cappie’s name speaks to that [perseverance] as Captain John Paul Jones and “We’ve only just begun” — to be a rally cry for millennials. People tell you the real world sucks, and you can change that.

TVLINE |The finale finally gave fans a gracious resolution between Evan and Cappie. Was rekindling their friendship always part of the plan?
Definitely. We realized the power of the threat to the friendship of Cappie and Evan once we were able to make them friends and Casey was not an issue. The will-they-won’t-they couple became will Evan and Cappie going to be friends? We explored that in the Beaver episode, when he pointed out that as long as Evan has feelings for Casey, he’s never going to be able to be friends with Cappie. I wanted him to purge her completely, something that took him four years to say that this is not meant to be, goodbye to Casey Cartwright.

TVLINE | And I have to ask: What was the real deal with Evan’s sudden arm cast?
I had to script in Evan’s broken arm the day before production on the finale began because Jake McDorman actually broke his hand. Still hate him for that. [Laughs]

TVLINE | A lot of key scenes in the finale seemed to parallel memorable moments from seasons past — namely those sibling-stairway chats between Casey and Rusty.
That was emotional. When I saw an early cut of that scene, it didn’t capture the depth of what that represented — they were both arcing, so this was huge! The focus of the series, to me, was always about this brother and sister coming together. If he hadn’t gone to Cyprus Rhodes, they might not have this good relationship. And they’ve now gone through this adventure together and are always going to be there for each other. And that’s what I always thought was so winning about that relationship; for Rusty, part of him wanting to be in the greek system was him wanting to be closer to his sister.

TVLINE | How did you decide what the final scene of the series would be?
I wanted this last scene to hearken back to our first finale which, if you’ll remember, was Casey and Rusty heading off for winter break together and she leaves Cappie on the corner and they drive off together. I really loved that moment and what it represented in their journey, as much as now it’s Cappie getting in the car with Casey as opposed to Rusty. There was symmetry there that I really liked.

TVLINE | You’ve said that you didn’t want complete closure in the finale so that the characters can live on in this world you’ve created. Where do you think Cappie and Casey ended up?

I’m fairly certain that Casey and Cappie died in a car accident — that they got about a mile down the road and then they got hit by a semi. [Laughs] I didn’t want closure so I could imagine where they were going. I think Casey and Cappie got to Washington, and I think he found something exciting and satisfying for him. I think Casey got to kick ass and I’d like to think that they ended up together forever, but it’s tough to say. For me, keeping it open allowed me to have the imagination to think of where I want them to go, as much as I want the audience to do the same.

TVLINE | What’s next for you?
I’m enjoying time off and I’m also developing whatever is next. I have a couple irons in the fire and a script commitment to Imagine Television, which I’m really excited about because I’m a huge Friday Night Lights and Parenthood fan. And hopefully I’ll get to do half of all the stuff I got to do on Greek, and have as good of an experience as I did for this show.

And that’s that. Post your goodbyes/thank yous/love letters to Smith and the cast of Greek below.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Burning Questions, Exclusive, Finales, Interviews, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Chris says:

Amazing show and an amazing finale. I’m really going to miss it, but I’m glad they ended on a high note.

• Samantha Payne says:

Why is it that they end the best of shows. This one I feel would have still been great if it had continued. At lest this one had a long lived life compared to some of the shows that abcfamily quite on after the first season.

2. Remy says:

Thank you Sean for four amazing years of quality television. This show has always been a huge comfort to me – never failed in making me crack up, and now tonight, succeeded in making me sob for way too long. Awesome finale, thanks for the extra info! Going to miss this show so much…

3. Robyn says:

I really enjoyed this series as well as the finale.

The series began the summer before my freshman year of high school. Ending now, in my senior year seems very appropriate. I loved the show and it has meant a lot to me. Sad to see it go.

4. Emily says:

There are no words to describe how incredible that finale was. It truly culminated everything that Greek stood for. I’m glad everyone got their storybook ending on the show because the show was a fairy tale. I’ll miss Greek…. KT FOREVER!

5. Katherine says:

TOM LENK! :)

6. Steph says:

The finale couldn’t have been more perfect. It was amazing. I laughed, cheered through a lot of scenes and cried through a few, too. Especially when they tore down the Kappa Tau house. So sad. I’m really going to miss this show! Nothing else like it on TV right now and it’s a shame. These characters are so great and complex and the cast is just wonderful. Sean, thank you for four incredible years of Greek. It truly is one of my absolute favorite shows and I miss it already.

7. Jenny says:

Thank you for creating an amazing show. I’ve watched Greek since day one and I am so sad to see it go.

8. Beth says:

I loved this show & I’m sad it’s over. The finale was perfect! Thanks Shawn for creating a such a clever show.

9. Kaitlin says:

This show described college life so perfectly to me. It started the summer before my junior year of college and since graduation two years ago, I’ve lived vicariously through it, which makes it all that harder to say goodbye, it’s like graduating all over again. I’m so sad to see it end, but the ending was great. Having lost so many great shows that didn’t get the proper endings they deserved *coughVeronicaMarscough*, it’s nice to have one work out so well, with everyone happy, and not just the fans, but the characters too. I hope Sean’s next project is as awesome and amazing as this. I’ll definitely be looking for it.

• KW says:

this is me exactly.. started watching my Junior year and now have finished college for a few years. I got hooked on Greek and hate to see it go.

10. Liz says:

I just got into the show recently after marathoning every season for a month. I am sad it took me so long. But this show had everything I could possibly want. Excellent and adorable finale. Thank you!

• Kevin says:

I got wind of this show on Hulu. I watched every episode from start to finish over two months. Just when I caught up to the present show it was the finale. Very upset. Anyway, it was a great show and I will miss looking forward to it. Thanks.

11. Audrey says:

Wonderful show and beautiful finale. Though there were times in the past four years that I wasn’t keeping up with the show as much, I would always go back after a season finale and catch up eventually. I feel like I grew up with the show. My heart aches to see it end, but at the same time, I couldn’t have come up with a better ending. Sean, you did an amazing job with Greek. You made me laugh and cry and become way too emotionally invested in all the characters (yes, even Frannie). Thank you for making me actually look forward to Mondays.

12. Lucia says:

AMAZING FINALE!
    I’ve watched from the beginning and this series has my heart. It will be missed but I so happy it ended the way it did.
    love you greek

13. Ingrid says:

I started watching this show when I was a freshman in college, and it lived with me. I joined the greek system at my school (also a small liberal arts school in Ohio with a good greek system) and this show was a parallel. Now, I am a senior getting ready to graduate myself, and leave my house. Watching this was amazing, but so hard, because it really hit close to home. Thank you for such an amazing show that never ceased to make me laugh and cry and scream at the TV. Greek, I will miss you almost as much as I’ll miss college. Thanks for a good ride!

14. Mal says:

This show came on right a few months after I’d graduated from college. I missed everything about college and Greek life, and hearing my friends who were still in college talk about the latest party or prank just made it harder to leave it all behind. Then “Greek” aired, and Cyprus Rhodes reminded me so much of my own college that I instantly felt connected. It helped give me a reminder of my college life and all the fun I had, reminded me of what sisterhood and loyalty meant, and was just plain entertaining. It was fun watching the drama of sorority life, without all pain of living through the drama! I connected to the story and characters so much, that tonight when the *spoiler alert* KT house came crashing down, I cried as much as Rusty did! I think this was a really special show, and thank goodness for DVDs so that I’ll be able to visit CR, ZBZ, KT, and Omega Chi whenever I want!

Sean Smith and his crew created an amazing, emotional finale, a perfect ending!!

15. meganpresley says:

I cried like a baby at the end! I didn’t want it to be over but I am so glad it ended the way it did. I will forever be team capsey!! :)

16. Mona says:

That was honestly a perfect way to end the show. I had no tears left after they tore down the KT house and somehow managed to find some when Casey and Cappie drove away.

Im so sad it has ended, but Im grateful for the show and I couldn’t be happier with the send off. It was wonderful.

17. Liz says:

It was a really beautiful finale. I’ve watched the show from day one – it premiered the summer after my freshman year of college and it was great to watch these characters that were so different from me (in the Greek system) yet at the same time were EXACTLY like me. I did most of my growing up in college, so I guess you could say I grew up with this show :)

18. Martha says:

Thank you so much for creating a show as touching and wonderful as Greek. The characters felt like my friends and I have enjoyed letting them into my life over the past 4 years. Greek took me back to my college years and reminded me of a special time in my life. I have Greek on DVD and I hope to share it for years to come. The final episode was amazing. I cried the entire last half. A touching salute to a magnificent series. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

19. Jen says:

Thank you from the beginning to the end. For creating a series with 3dimensional characters who were able to grow because and despite of each other and their circumstances. Can’t wait to see what’s next for everyone in the Greek family.

20. EveDallas says:

I cannot say how much I enjoyed this last episode. It was so incredibly well done. I totally grew up with this show because It started right before I went to university. I loved all the characters immediately and have never missed an episode. It was truly a pleasure to be in the company of such a well written series. This is a show that I will never forget.

21. Ben Phelps says:

Not a perfect finale, but a very satisfying one nonetheless. Glad to see there was a reason for Evan’s broken hand beyond the story, since that was one of the most contrived parts of the script. Sad to see the show go, but it was probably time — any longer and it would have stretched believability too far. I’m glad it at least got to go out strong and on its own terms. (Check out my full review at my blog!)

22. Cassey says:

It speaks a lot to the quality of a show, and the writers, that I’m going to miss Beaver and Katherine and Laura and Jen K and Wade and Pickle and Ben Bennett and Betsy and Heath just as much as I will miss Casey, Cappie, Ashleigh and Rebecca. this show only had 70 something episodes. The only other show that I can think of that had such well defined and well loved supporting, and sometimes fleeting, characters are Scrubs and maybe Gilmore Girls and those show were on for years longer!

So thank you for 4 years with all of these amazing characters and the wonderful stories that they told.

23. alex rome says:

Thank you so much for giving us this amazing show that not only made me laugh and cry but that it also helped me through my struggle in leaving my high school behind and heading of to college. It was a moment I dreaded but I managed to move on and realize, thanks to Greek, that college would be an amazing experience, and it is still. I cried so much on the finale, its sad to se the series end but at least it was an incredibly emotional and great way to finish. I will miss it.

24. elizabeth says:

this has been my favorite show. Like many other posters, i started watching this during the summer of my freshman year and was mesmerized. the plots, the characters.. I’m sincerely and truly going to miss this show every monday. There are so many parallels between this show and my college life.. and when there wasn’t i could live vicariously though the greek system.

i just can’t believe next monday this show will not have a new episode. it’s so, SO, sad.

THANK YOU! for giving us four years of an amazing journey :) I will miss this show so much.

25. Niver says:

Very nice end to the series, well done, I happily enjoyed the entire show.

26. Virginie Mikaelian says:

It’s weird because I started watching the show when I started college in 2008 and I’m graduating in a few months, just like the characters. I feel like they were with me for the ride. We don’t have a Greek system here (I go to UQAM in Quebec, Canada) but I am part of one of the many student councils on campus and the feuds and drama we have are very similar to those depicted in the show. All this to say… you made me laugh, you made me cry and in a way, you’ve helped me come to terms with the end of my college years… It’s the end of a chapter, the beginning of a new one… life goes on! Thank you so much GREEK!

27. Jones19 says:

I loved the series finale. It was perfect in every way and I’m so happy that I got the chance to fall in love with these characters. This show has had some amazing writing over the course of the series and I’ll forever keep it in my heart. Thank you.

28. Angel says:

Greek was an amazing show and it will definitely be missed! It is unfortunate that ABC Family had to cancel the show and I would have preferred and full length season to wrap everything up but they did a great job with the 10 episodes. I enjoyed the finale and teared up a few times especially seeing the KT house go down. I can’t wait to see the extended finale with the Evan/Cappie scene. I’m glad everyone ended up in a good place. Thanks so much to the creators, cast and crew for giving us such an amazing show. It’s one I will watch again and again thanks to the DVDs.

Maybe ABC Family would consider doing a tv movie to catch up with the characters later in life?

• Gloria says:

A movie would be fantastic! I absolutely adored this show. It took me back to my college years and touched my heart. It was my favorite show from everything I watch and I was just heart broken when I heard it was going to be over. I am going through Greek withdrawls!

29. Mads says:

In a time when there is so much crap on TV, Greek was really the only consistent show. It never failed to make me laugh; each episode got me even more invested in the show and the characters were so real. I’m so sad to see it go. The finale was fantastic, a great way to end it.

30. Ashley says:

Watching the finale was like driving away from my college for the last time all over again with that sad but happy feeling. I loved the show and could relate to it a lot, i’m sad its over but it brought back a lot of good memories. Thanks you.

31. Fan says:

Great show. Great writing. Great characters. It will be missed.

32. Bob says:

I wasn’t in the Greek system when I went to college but this show still resonated deeply with me. I’m going to miss it a lot. The ending was about as good of a ending as you can have for a show you wish wasn’t ending at all.

33. Danny says:

Greek was a perfect show. I laughed at every episode, I teared in the end knowing it was all ending. I will miss Greek, it was as perfect as the “friends” series. Writers, creators and all involved in Greek, thank you so much for a perfect ending to a perfect series.

34. alk says:

the best series ever, it will be missed, they ended good but left so much open, what happens to the KT house, what happens with rusty, what happens with everything yea the 2 left but still the college stays there and students come and go!

Thanks again!

Best Show

35. Emy says:

This show will be missed
    Thank you!

36. Annie says:

Thank you for making such a touching, real show where all the characters were someone you wanted to be friends with. I am so far out of college but still remember that feeling of everything being so new and yet so important all at once. The ending made me laugh, cry and was so fitting. Can’t wait to see what you do next!! Best of luck with everything!

37. Brogan says:

I’m gonna miss Greek, it was my all time favorite show..the finale was really good, I actually almost cried when they torn down the KT house..It was the best show ever..Thank you

38. Dirk says:

Forget finding out Cappie’s real name, we totally found out Jen K’s last name: Kinney!

And I’m missing Greek already.

39. zack says:

is there any chance of greek ever coming back ? from being in a fraternity I have learned many things through them n KT really is a fraternity

40. TV Lover says:

I stumbled upon this show on hulu, and fell in love with it. I caught up on two seasons during my lunch breaks, so I was so prepared for season 3. It saddens me that this show is ending, but I loved that Sean Smith brought it to a good closing.

Thanks for the writing, acting and closure.

41. Susan says:

I loved this show. I’m in my late 30s and it just brought my back to my college years – so much more of a realistic portrayal of Greek life then any other show or movie I can think of. Loved loved loved it!

42. Chantal says:

I love Greek since episode one and I’m gonna miss all that. I love Cappie and the final episode was a great way to end (and in a way, start) things.

43. Ashley says:

This by far was the best series I have ever watched. I have seen every episode ever aired of greek and I can honestly say I cried like a baby watching the series finale last night. It is so sad that the show is over. But it has comforted me for the past four years. I guess I can stick to re watching the seasons on netflix thank goodness for that! but goodbye greek and thank you so much for the laughs and cries! (:
    I love you all!

44. Sarah says:

Thank you for Greek!! i began watching during my sophomore year in college and though I never joined Greek life (even after considering it), this show always makes me wonder what if I had? I think it could have been something amazing. There have been a few shows over the last few years that I really got into, but thanks to ABCfamily streaming the episodes online, Greek is one of the few shows I actually kept up with to this day. In fact, it might really be the only one. The characters just seem so real and I am going to miss them. Thank you for a wonderful series!

45. JohnK says:

OK. I’m a guy. I’m embarassed but I pretty much sobbed during the finale. Not sure why. I think it was a nostalgic thing. I grew to like these characters and live again through them. Watching them grow up and move on reminded me that I have done that and can’t go back. Greek allowed me to go back for a few years, if only once a week. Sweet. Thanks Sean, amazing cast, and crew. Good luck to you all.

46. Shannon says:

I’ve been in love with Greek since the beginning, it was such a great show. I haven’t seen the latest episode yet, but I’m wishing that it wouldn’t be ending. I fall in love with so many shows on ABC Fam. and after they’re over I wind up wanting more and craving a return. Thanks for creating a show that everyone in my family could connect with.

47. SBG says:

PLEASE BRING BACK GREEK!!!

48. Jessica says:

Thank you for creating such a amazing show. By watching this show, it has helped me in my endeavors through a few of the same obsticals in Greek life. From experiencing Greek Life first hand and watching the show, I love how you brought each house together for Greek Unity. And by watching the final season on my last semester of college has made me realize different aspects of life that I might have not thought of. This last season has also helped me get times where I was in the same position as a character on the show. This show has been such a world wind, which Greek life is. Even though at my school we don’t party as much, I think this show did show viewers that there is more to Greek life than just partying, but all the hard work that is put into it. Thank you so much for Greek and it will always be my favorite television series!

49. amanda says:

thank you for the show! was defensibility an amazing 4 years growing with these characters…i know you want to keep it open but maybe a spin of movie? i think it would be pretty sweet
    xo thanks again

50. Dyna says:

Thank you so much for a show that has made me laugh and cry. I have watched from the begin and loved every moment of it. Casey and Cappie I have always been a fan of and I’m happy how you left the ending open for the veiwers to picture what they want to see happened to them. This show had a way of taking you back to a time in your life where it was all about college and being free and that is what it did for me and again I thank you.