'Renew Our Show!' Sweet 16 Bracket Tournament: Chuck Vs. Human Target

‘Tis the season to be anxious — or at least it is for obsessive TV fans. Yes, folks, at this very moment, network executives are pondering their 2011-2012 lineups, closely monitoring their pilot development slate, and examining the latest ratings data to determine which existing series will return for another go-around.

Here at TVLine, we’re keeping track of all your favorite “on the bubble” shows with our regularly updated Renewal Scorecard feature, but we also thought it would be fun to put you in the role of network exec to find out which at-risk show most deserves an extended lease on life. And thus we created the first annual “Renew Our Show!” Sweet 16 Bracket Tournament, a single-elimination duel to the death among 16 yet-to-be-renewed favorites. We left out series that are total certainties to get picked up (hi, Criminal Minds, Supernatural, and Community!) as well as those to which the Grim Reaper has already paid a visit (adieu, Running Wilde!). Every weekday at 1 p.m. ET for the three weeks, you can vote in polls to help narrow down the field. Click here to see the entire bracket (then click again on the image for a zoomed-in view).

Today, we’re kicking things off with a flurry of fists, gunshots, and occasional disguises, as the super-spies from NBC’s Chuck and Fox’s Human Target face off. Polls will be open for 72 hours, so pick your poison, then hit the comments to justify your vote, and head to Facebook and Twitter to rally more fans to your favorite. And to get alerted to all future “Renew Our Show” showdowns, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV. Ready, set, vote!

Comments (299)

• Love “Chuck” A show the whole family enjoys. Please keep this wonderful funny, romantic and exciting show on the air.

Comment by S. Overholt – March 7, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have never watched The Human Target. Thought about it, but never really got around to it. For all of you out there that are older than Jusin Beaver, it appeas that Chuck seems to be loosly based on Scarecrow & Mrs. King, They even have Bruce B. as Awesome’s dad. I think that show was on CBS and got axed after a while, but I remember it being a good show.
    NBC has a knack for ruining great shows. Once I saw Scott Bakula on Chuck, I just knew that Chuck was doomed for the Quantum Leap curse. Besides Chuck, probably one of the best shows that NBC has had to offer. At least they are not showing Chuck at 3:00 AM like they did with Quantum Leap during its final season.

Comment by Bill – March 7, 2011 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish that Chuck would either get renewed early or get canceled early. I am so sick of it always winning the save a show polls not giving other shows a fighting chance. I don’t watch watch the show, but I do watch other bubble shows that get canceled without a fighting chance thanks to Chuck. There should be a limit as to how many times the same show can appear on the save a show poll, because Chuck has been there every season since it began.

Comment by Liz – March 7, 2011 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHUCK, CHUCK, CHUCK! Must keep Chuck. We need to see the wedding, what is Casey up to in the new area of castle, Morgan needs more spy time, and I want to see Chuck’s mom being a spy! The new Volkoff arc is interesting. Will she turn evil?

Comment by Johanna – March 7, 2011 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck is best

Comment by Melle – March 7, 2011 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck, hands down!

Comment by Nate – March 7, 2011 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is something that I can’t possibly vote on. These are two of my favorite shows.

Comment by Dee – March 7, 2011 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck is the greatest tv show on earth! It been through so much since it aired in 2008! Please NBC give us another season, chuck fans would be extremely disappointed if you end our all time favorite show!!!! We would be nothing without chuck, cuz chuck is the world to us!!!

Comment by Charla Merryman – March 7, 2011 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i agree with you 1000%

Comment by kylie – March 7, 2011 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The one and two seeds in this March Madness should coast all the way to the finals.

Comment by Exile – March 7, 2011 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!
    Chuck in USA and Brazil!
    CHUCK! CHUCK! CHUCK!

Comment by Jacob Paes – March 7, 2011 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted for Chuck because u never know what is gonna happen next it is my favorite tv show of all time i have the first 3 seasons on dvd and cant wait till i can get season 4 and hopefully there will be a season 5!!

Comment by Kylie – March 7, 2011 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its not fair to make people choose between these two! They are both awesome shows. Although of-late Chuck’s entire appeal for me rests with looking at Yvonne Strahovski. To say that she is a vision would be an understatement and now that she is being challenged in situations where she has to actually act instead of just get by on her looks (which she never did mind you, she always acted well but may not have been challenged enough) she is fast becoming an indispensable TV pastime. On the other hand ‘Chuck’ has become a stale character and Jeff-ster and Morgan I never could stand. Up until the last season geek references made sense, but now its like they are trying to force them upon us. I feel like its a slow ‘Failure to launch’ remake.

On the other hand Human Target is an awesome show. It is based on a Vertigo comics series by the same name. You may say its one of the good things to come out of the 80′s.

Who changes the title theme after just one season!?

I agree with people when they say the first season was better. But the second is not without its merits either. It adds the Ilsa Puchi/Chance dynamic that men may not be entirely willing to sit through, but for the significant others of us men who would rather the channel be changed, that dynamic makes it worth sitting through the rest of the show. The second season seems to be tamer than the first and I wish it picks up the fast-action pace it started out with.

Comment by Arcticwynd – March 7, 2011 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHUCK hands down!!! Come on NBC

Comment by michelle – March 7, 2011 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHUCK!!!!

Comment by Odette – March 7, 2011 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a big Chuck fan, but it has become a bit too cartoonish and let’s face it, once the sexual tension went between Chuck and Sarah……still, it’s fun.
    Human Target has more grit though. Guerrero blowing up his Eldo with CIA guy in it was great TV. Still, we see them flirting with the sexual tension and if you are old enough, we all know what happened to Moonlighting when they finally kissed.

Both great shows though on different networks, so the vote is really useless.

Comment by Carl B – March 7, 2011 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I vote for chuck, fringe, no ordinary family, nikita, V

Comment by jason – March 7, 2011 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck has to stay

Comment by Bjorn braet – March 7, 2011 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have no animosity towards CHUCK, but HUMAN TARGET is definitely my pick!

Comment by Andrea – March 7, 2011 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They have to bring back Human Target. Chance and Ilsa are just getting good!!! I really like Human Target and want to see it come back.

Comment by Gina – March 7, 2011 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck we need more seasons of Chuck. The most awesome serie on television! Please NBC listen to the fans worldwide! Even here in the Netherlands there are so many fans.

Comment by RonaldP – March 7, 2011 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck and Human Target are the only ones of those 16 that I watch regularly. Although, I have watched some of The Event. The rest of the shows I don’t watch at all.

Comment by Robert – March 7, 2011 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why do we have to pick one? I love BOTH of these shows!!!!

Comment by G-Man – March 7, 2011 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck!!!!!

Comment by Will – March 7, 2011 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck wins against any of these shows any day! :)
    Give me more Chuck!

Comment by Linnea – March 7, 2011 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted Chuck but this wasn’t fair since I’m a fan of both!!!!

Comment by sladewilson – March 7, 2011 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck!

Comment by Steph – March 7, 2011 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • chuck 4eva !!!!! xD

Comment by Sebek – March 7, 2011 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like both, but that is what a dvr is for

Comment by Joni – March 7, 2011 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never done this before but told everyone I know about Chuck and to watch it. To me ranked right up there with Lucy Ball I’ve brought all the seasons.( again never done before) I actually leave my house with “chuck” playing on the TV so when I come home I will smile. Only things missed and dislike: old music played from the past seasons, less serious, more humor,and making Chuck like his old character less real spy more mistakes. And never kill a key character like you did the last season opener.

Comment by cathy catoe – March 7, 2011 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree completely! (:

Comment by Hunter – March 7, 2011 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck <3

Comment by Magnus – March 7, 2011 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am 110% a CHUCK fan!! I would love to see it return next year, Chuck and Sarah are finally together and we have to see the wedding and keep there love alive!! We must get a CHUCK Season so that being said, I placed my vote for CHUCK!! (: And you should too! (:

Comment by Hunter – March 7, 2011 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck all of the way! It’s an amazing show and it just keeps getting better. I don’t understand why it almost gets cancelled every season.

Comment by Convention – March 7, 2011 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuuucccckkk

Comment by Flow – March 7, 2011 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • please save chuck..chuck is the best of tv shows…

Comment by younous – March 7, 2011 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why are we doing this? Obesience to the NCAAs? I thought Chuck was already renewed for next year so we didn’t have to eat Subway sandwiches?

Comment by Singletary – March 7, 2011 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It has to be CHUCK all the way. The very best show on TV, CHUCK is a show that has everything. There is action, romance, comedy, and all the characters that are so lovable. It has been so much fun to watch all of them grow and develop relationships. If Comcast is smart they will realize the crazy loyal fans that CHUCK has, and the gem of a show that CHUCK is. I do really like Human Target too, but if my vote makes a difference which show stays and which show goes I have to go with CHUCK.

Comment by Chuckrocks – March 7, 2011 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck!!!! I love that show. Never miss it.

Comment by Rachael Blandau – March 7, 2011 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t see why we have to choose between these two shows. They aren’t even aired on the same network. I happen to be a huge fan of both. I hope they both get renewed but if it came down to choosing I would have to go with Chuck.

Comment by Shane – March 7, 2011 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHUCK chuck CHUCK chuck CHUCK chuck CHUCK chuck CHUCK chuck CHUCK chuck CHUCK chuck CHUCK chuck CHUCK chuck CHUCK chuck CHUCK chuck CHUCK chuck CHUCK chuck CHUCK chuck CHUCK chuck CHUCK chuck CHUCK chuck CHUCK chuck CHUCK chuck CHUCK chuck CHUCK chuck CHUCK chuck Pleeeezzzzzzz!!!! Love this show!!!

Comment by Sheri – March 7, 2011 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HUMAN TARGET.
    As a former Chuck fan, I just can’t watch anymore-Morgan as a spy or whatever his role is on the show now-totally not believeable!Give me a break. Human Target has totally improved this year and the cast additions are great.

Comment by cbl – March 7, 2011 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck should definitely be renewed!!! I’ve never watched Human Target, but I’m sure it has faithful fans, too. And, therefore, deserves a chance to make more fans.

However, Chuck has millions of fans throughout the world!!! It’s really become a GREAT show!! I have often suggested that NBC move it to USA where I’m sure it would continue it’s sore to the top of the ratings. USA may be in a better position to make it the hit it deserves to be since they’ve brought on some really great shows, such as “Burn Notice,” “White Collar,” “In Plain Site, etc.”

Comment by Paulina – March 7, 2011 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d like to see them both saved but HUMAN TARGET is a WAY better show! It has good timing, GREAT intriguing characters and great action. Awesome show.Chuck is entertaining but it was better before they tried too change it image to appease the masses.

Comment by Bke – March 7, 2011 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Bke – March 7, 2011 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Bke – March 7, 2011 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHUCK awesomely unique characters and interesting plots plus the range of comedy, drama, action romance always keeps you on ur toes! Can’t beat great guest stars and love all the nerdy references! Zac and Yvonne and the rest of the cast are absolute gold!
    Writing staff changes were pretty noticeable but I trust them to make an awesome Season 5!!
    CHUCK CHUCK CHUCK all the way!!!!

Comment by Jemma – March 7, 2011 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love both shows but chuck is definitely the one I would choose.

Comment by Scott – March 7, 2011 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck! Why? Two words: Yvonne Strahovski

Comment by Perpetual Patrick – March 7, 2011 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a no-brainer, HUMAN TARGET FTW!

I love Chuck but the story arc has been flagging since day one. Short of dragging out super-spy grandparents for Chuck and Ellie, what is there left to do?

Human Target on the other hand has barely even scratched the surface of what it could do. A rich, mysterious back story, complex (and not to mention grown-up) characters and THE BEST action sequences on TV.

The best you can say about Chuck is that it’s inoffensive!

Comment by tree979 – March 7, 2011 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Chuck alot and enjoy watching it! And I love Human Target! I’d prefer they keep both!!! Both very different, but very good shows!

Comment by Rene – March 7, 2011 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who watches Human Target? I mean really…

Comment by Erin – March 7, 2011 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post