'Renew Our Show!' Sweet 16 Bracket Tournament: Chuck Vs. Human Target

‘Tis the season to be anxious — or at least it is for obsessive TV fans. Yes, folks, at this very moment, network executives are pondering their 2011-2012 lineups, closely monitoring their pilot development slate, and examining the latest ratings data to determine which existing series will return for another go-around.

Here at TVLine, we’re keeping track of all your favorite “on the bubble” shows with our regularly updated Renewal Scorecard feature, but we also thought it would be fun to put you in the role of network exec to find out which at-risk show most deserves an extended lease on life. And thus we created the first annual “Renew Our Show!” Sweet 16 Bracket Tournament, a single-elimination duel to the death among 16 yet-to-be-renewed favorites. We left out series that are total certainties to get picked up (hi, Criminal Minds, Supernatural, and Community!) as well as those to which the Grim Reaper has already paid a visit (adieu, Running Wilde!). Every weekday at 1 p.m. ET for the three weeks, you can vote in polls to help narrow down the field. Click here to see the entire bracket (then click again on the image for a zoomed-in view).

Today, we’re kicking things off with a flurry of fists, gunshots, and occasional disguises, as the super-spies from NBC’s Chuck and Fox’s Human Target face off. Polls will be open for 72 hours, so pick your poison, then hit the comments to justify your vote, and head to Facebook and Twitter to rally more fans to your favorite. And to get alerted to all future “Renew Our Show” showdowns, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV. Ready, set, vote!

Comments (299)

• I was always a Chuck fan, but did not really enjoy this last season. That said though, I would still like it to continue. However – I have only now seen Human Target Season 1, and I really enjoyed it, and would like to see more of it. So i refuse to vote. I would like both brought back.

Comment by Vanny – March 7, 2011 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Human Target all the way….sorry Chuck…Human Target rocks!!!!!!!

Comment by Marty – March 7, 2011 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Uncool!!! My 2 favorite bubble shows against each other!!! Say it ain’t so!!!

Comment by jax0096 – March 7, 2011 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Had to pair these together, huh? Only two shows on the scorecard that I watch…

Went with Chuck because it’s easily my favorite of the two.

Comment by James – March 7, 2011 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHUCK!

Comment by bmays – March 7, 2011 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will celebrate the day the overrated and long overdue for cancellation Chuck is gone. On the other hand Human Target is actually a entertaining show. Is Jackie Earle Haley on Chuck?

Comment by Aeiouy – March 7, 2011 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck will win this; most Chuck fans are unemployed so can vote many times.

Comment by nutjob – March 7, 2011 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Human Target!

Comment by Paige – March 7, 2011 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would vote for season one of Human Target over Chuck, but I really, really did not like the season 2 format at all. Chuck is hit and miss for me. When it takes its content seriously, I enjoy it immensely. When it is nothing but farce, I despise it. If every episode was like the one where they had the palace coup averted by a self-help marraige book, I would vote Human Target. If it was like the show that should have been the end of season for Chuck, I would vote for that every time.

Comment by Darren – March 7, 2011 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I object to ‘Human Target’ and ‘Chuck’ being a first round matchup.
    ‘Chuck’ has to be like a 1 seed, and ‘Human Target’ is like a 3 seed. I wish both get renewed.

Comment by MST3K – March 7, 2011 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Umm yea there is no competition…..CHUCK should def get the renewal!!!!!!! I mean honestly it’s the best show on TV!!!!!! If CHUCK doesn’t get a season 5 I will be the sadsest person ever… We have the most loyal fan base out there!, how can we not get picked up….CHUCK has what every show needs::: a hot Nerd, action, comedy, a gorgeous female lead and……Casey!!!!!! No doubt its CHUCK :)

Comment by Renee – March 7, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck! Chuck!!! Gooooo chuck!!!!

Comment by Shelly – March 7, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHUCK, CHUCK, CHUCK, CHUCK!!!!!!!

Comment by Peter N – March 7, 2011 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Human Target for me, but Chuck will win this poll in a walk.

However, what’s more concerning, is that FRINGE was the #2 seed to Chuck, and not #1 where it belongs. REALLY?!!!!?!?!?!!?

Comment by Dave – March 7, 2011 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Human Target, we must se Ilsa again

Comment by vizigot – March 7, 2011 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck!

Comment by Kim – March 7, 2011 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of course Chuck. He’s my life and my everything. I have better day when I see him!!! <3 Chuck and Sarah are the nicest pair I have ever seen and John Casey is very cool… All story is amazing and funny!!!

Comment by JannieBartowski – March 7, 2011 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • vote for chuck, best regards from Greece

Comment by dimitris – March 7, 2011 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Human Target hands down. The excellent cast is so well developed and the weekly escape is great! Tried Chuck once the first year and never went back but was hooked at episode one for Human Target.

Why did you pit these two against one another?

Comment by cookie – March 7, 2011 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • chuck!! Chuck!! Chuck,please the show is so cool and show continue.Chuck!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by nomso – March 7, 2011 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck! Monday nights would be sad without the show, so let’s go chuck!

Comment by Cathy – March 7, 2011 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck is the best show they have so my vote is for chuck!!!!!

Comment by Antwon – March 7, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Most defiantly renew CHUCK!! Human target is good, but . . . CHUCK is so, so, so much better! And it keeps getting better each week! It would be silly not to RENEW CHUCK!!!

Comment by St.Louis – March 7, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love both!!! Please i can’t choose!!

Comment by Vale – March 7, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Both have their ups and downs. But why vote against two that are on different channels? I LOVE both of them… But as of right now….. Nope. Can’t decide. They both need to win.

Comment by Sarah – March 7, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GAAAAHHH I love them both!!! I adore Chance and I’ve enjoyed the new mix of characters in season 2 of Human Target. But I am entirely in love with Chuck. I’m so glad that the show has defied expectations and gone on for four seasons. I love how the characters of Chuck and his team have transformed. I will seriously have a heart attack if it doesn’t get renewed for a fifth.

Comment by Mandy – March 7, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Right, I love Chuck and I’ve never watched Human Target, but as a Chuck fan I think it’s time the show came to a satisfying close. Chuck’s a great show but it’s making the same mistakes The O.C, 24, and numerous other great shows; repetitive plot lines, poor character development etc. If they promise to have Strahovski in a skimpy outfit each week then I might be persuaded ;P

Comment by Alec – March 7, 2011 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck gets my vote. BUT they have to whittle down the side plots a tad. NBC needs to stop treating it like a red headed step child. Run re runs on Friday and Saturday to build and quit showing SVU ALL WEEKEND.

Comment by tshyde – March 7, 2011 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck is best

Comment by mark m – March 7, 2011 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Human Target!!!

Comment by medicare insurance – March 7, 2011 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like Human Target but, when forced to choose, it’d have to be Chuck! I dont wanna miss my Zac Levi fix. I still miss my Milo Ventimiglia & Zachary Quinto weekly fix with Heroes.

Comment by Char – March 7, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHUCK! It’s my favorite show ever! I never miss an episode. I’ve only seen a few episodes of Human Target. I stopped after this one episode when there was a fire on a plane, and the dude decided to turn the plane UPSIDE DOWN to put the fire out. The reasoning? The increased amount of oxygen on the fire would put it out. Even I know that fanning the flames make them bigger instead of putting it out. I’m not one for 100% accuracy or everything being completely realistic in shows (it’s fictional, I get it), but COME ON. That sort of thing is just ridiculous. Plus, the characters on Human Target really didn’t pull me in. However, on Chuck, the characters are completely endearing and the plot lines are always spot on.

Comment by Leah – March 7, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck is far superior.

Human Target was pretty good the first season, and I do love Guerrero, but the music is awful and continues to be awful. Honestly, television music composition in my opinion can make or break a show. Theirs is awful. Of course the worst choice in my book was adding the lady boss. She’s awful! That accent sounds horrifically fake and her character doesn’t add anything.

So to save it, I think they could drop that character, then get a better composer (someone must be available.)

But even with all that, Chuck is just inherently more fun.

Comment by Sara – March 7, 2011 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked Chuck since it started, though don’t care for the story line where the Intersect makes him a super spy and know how to do everything. It was better when he was just a data mine of information and his awkwardness would get the team in trouble because they had to drag him along.

I really loved season 1 of Human Target but found season two way too cheesy. Before they worked for clients within a “budget” that had to be paid. Now there is no talk about how the clients can/will pay and taking a private jet all over is EXPENSIVE… I know the rich lady is backing them, but what, she turn them into a charity service now? And her character is weak. They completely changed how her character was from the story when he saved her to character she is now. And not really in a believable way. And the romance was way to forced.

The whole season two arc of Human Target jumped the shark…

Comment by Sean – March 7, 2011 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • definitely chuck. i extremely hope chuck gets a renewal. go chuck!!!!!

Comment by kabobman1 – March 7, 2011 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck ! *_* o melhor e mais divertido ;D

Comment by Dih – March 7, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck me baby!

Comment by Melody – March 7, 2011 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck! They have one more good season in there love the show!

Comment by Danielle – March 7, 2011 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck!!!!

Comment by Alix – March 7, 2011 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m going to go Human Target, as I enjoy it quite a lot. Never quite got into Chuck – but I also think Chuck stands a better chance of getting renewed on it’s own given the network it is on.

Of course I’d want Fringe back over all others.

Comment by John Berggren – March 7, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck for sure. Watched it from the beginning, favorite show on television.

Comment by Brian – March 7, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have watched both, and I never missed any of it. They are both great action shows and they are both best shows in their own ways. However, I would pick Human Target over Chuck as I think Human Target can still bring more while Chunk are really running out of ideas and they try to be too funny sometimes which it makes it more of embarrassing then being funny. The last season of Chuck has not improved that much compare to the previous seasons while Human Target changed & improved a lot compare to the first season. Will be great to have both shows renewed, but Human Target deserves more than Chuck. By the way, I used to be crazy about Chuck in the first two seasons.

Comment by someOne – March 7, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is like asking a mother to pick her favorite child. not fair. love both. won’t choose.

Comment by nomi2009 – March 7, 2011 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck. favourite show, it is just fantastic.

Comment by Ann – March 7, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck. I have love this show from day one. Would love to see a season five.

Comment by shena – March 7, 2011 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks like its time for the nerd herders to make their annual pilgrimage! Chuck forever! How do I vote?

Comment by Ethan Price – March 7, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck!!!

It’s obvious chuck is a fan favorite and every year it is brought to the chopping block fans oppose – NBC knows this or if they were worried bout chuck it wouldn’t be their prime time show on Monday. Chuck wins hands down

Comment by Andrew brown – March 7, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck definitely deserves a fifth season!

Comment by cory – March 7, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt Miller single handedly killed Human Target. So much so I wouldn’t be all that disappointed if it were canceled. Season 2 was abysmal and wasn’t even the same show it was in season 1. Forcing female characters into the cast and billions in hi-tech gadgets and unlimited cash flow was the anti-season 1. Not to mention Valley and Varma had zero chemistry. Miller essentially tried to turn Human Target into Chuck 2.0 and failed miserably at it. Write off season 2 as a bad dream/hallucination and I’ll be back.

Chuck on the other hand has it’s ups and downs, but can always fall back on its charm. Bring Chuck back!

Comment by Chris – March 7, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Human Target!!! They found their groove in season 2.

Comment by Joe – March 7, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post