'Renew Our Show!' Sweet 16 Bracket Tournament: Chuck Vs. Human Target

‘Tis the season to be anxious — or at least it is for obsessive TV fans. Yes, folks, at this very moment, network executives are pondering their 2011-2012 lineups, closely monitoring their pilot development slate, and examining the latest ratings data to determine which existing series will return for another go-around.

Here at TVLine, we’re keeping track of all your favorite “on the bubble” shows with our regularly updated Renewal Scorecard feature, but we also thought it would be fun to put you in the role of network exec to find out which at-risk show most deserves an extended lease on life. And thus we created the first annual “Renew Our Show!” Sweet 16 Bracket Tournament, a single-elimination duel to the death among 16 yet-to-be-renewed favorites. We left out series that are total certainties to get picked up (hi, Criminal Minds, Supernatural, and Community!) as well as those to which the Grim Reaper has already paid a visit (adieu, Running Wilde!). Every weekday at 1 p.m. ET for the three weeks, you can vote in polls to help narrow down the field. Click here to see the entire bracket (then click again on the image for a zoomed-in view).

Today, we’re kicking things off with a flurry of fists, gunshots, and occasional disguises, as the super-spies from NBC’s Chuck and Fox’s Human Target face off. Polls will be open for 72 hours, so pick your poison, then hit the comments to justify your vote, and head to Facebook and Twitter to rally more fans to your favorite. And to get alerted to all future “Renew Our Show” showdowns, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV. Ready, set, vote!

Comments (299)

• This is fun, I guess; but it’s a shame we have to choose between the two. I love them both. (even though I prefer a Jeffster-less “Chuck” and the season 1 format of “Human Target”…)

Comment by valerie – March 7, 2011 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Woah, seriously? That’s one of the things that has been lacking the last couple seasons of Chuck – the decrease in screen time for secondary characters like the Buy More crew. We pretty much either get Ellie and Awesome or Jeff and Lester these days, which is sad.

Comment by Bozo – March 7, 2011 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s called budget issues. If a cast regular doesn’t have at least 5 lines in an episode, they don’t get paid the full amount. NBC tightened everyone’s budget. Either they split episodes between the supporting cast, or fire supporting cast members – and you know that would mean no Jeffster fun. I am okay with the spreading the cast out like this because all of the characters are to fun to lose completely.

Comment by Rowan – March 7, 2011 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I refuse to choose. It wouldn’t matter. They are on different networks and at different times. So, not gonna do it!

Comment by Znachki – March 7, 2011 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Good answer, znachki! I couldn’t possibly choose one to renew, either. Talk about a Sophie’s choice!

Comment by MelindaB – March 7, 2011 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m with you. These are the two best shows on the list, and they are matched in the first round? I abstain in protest.

Comment by Haakon – March 9, 2011 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • not anymore, they are going to be on at the same time which is why there is this poll and i think one will get cancelled

Comment by Joshua – March 7, 2011 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thats why theres hulu and dvr. Same time, not a problem! At work, not a problem.

I’m not picking between these shows. These are the only two good shows I can allow my 8 yr old to watch without the need to keep the remote in my hand for quick content removal.

Comment by RustyH – March 8, 2011 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes this isn’t a good matchup because they are on different networks. And how are they going to be on at the same time?

Save Chuck!

Comment by chillydogs – March 7, 2011 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, how I wish there were a “thumbs up” clicker on here! I’d give you two!!

Comment by JMR – March 8, 2011 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah maybe… except Chuck is PERFECT and Human Target STRAIGHT TAKES IT IN THE BUTT

Comment by Casey – March 8, 2011 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! Or at the very least a “Lester”less Chuck. For some reason — don’t know if it’s the character, the actor, or a little of both — I cannot stand Lester! I cringe whenever I see him onscreen, almost to the point where I want to change the channel until his scene is over.

Comment by Lisa – March 7, 2011 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, but the bit with the Baby Awesome only falling asleep to Jeffster’s music was priceless, though….

Comment by JMR – March 8, 2011 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You mean a “Jeffster-more Chuck”, right, Valerie?

Comment by Brad – March 7, 2011 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I totally agree, whenever Jeffster comes onto the screen it’s so flipping hilarious!
        It’s good enough that you don’t feel any spleenal hemorrhaging.
        And bad enough to make you laugh your back-end off!

And Lisa, really? Mo-lester is no where near as disturbing as Jeff.

Comment by Micah – March 7, 2011 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Keep Chuck, Human Target and Chase!!

Comment by mochajiver – March 7, 2011 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • chuck is obviously so much better, its one of the best tv programs broadcast. i cant believe we even have to fight for it. just look at the votes they prove this.

Comment by Moonie2504 – March 8, 2011 01:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed, I enjoy both of these shows a lot!!

Comment by Kristina – March 8, 2011 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck, Chuck, Chuck!

Please NBC

Comment by Mich – March 7, 2011 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck has proven itself over four seasons. It deserves at least a season five and I do believe that they have enough material to do a season five, but I think chuck and sarah’s wedding ep will be the greatest chuck episode, ever.

Comment by Lisa – March 7, 2011 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I so agree. Just one more season, please! Chuck is an amazing show. But you’re right, the wedding episode? Be still my shipper heart.

Comment by Bethany – March 7, 2011 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think there have been some real mis-steps in Chuck the past two season, but moving the Chuck-Sarah relationship into full-on status is not one of them. They deserve a fifth season, but with all of the upheaval at NBC, I don’t know if enough people who had their backs are still there. With Angela gone and Comcast in charge, it could go either way.

Support your friendly neighborhood Chuck!

Comment by Rowan – March 7, 2011 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i think with Comcast chuck has a greater chance of staying because when they get hold of new TV companies unless the show is just doing terrible they usually keep it which i think is smart

Comment by trevor – March 7, 2011 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Human Target!!!

Comment by ripleyaeryn – March 7, 2011 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This won’t even be a contest the Chuck fans are going to come out in droves they are used to living on the bubble.

Comment by David – March 7, 2011 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t want to choose, I love both shows, but Chuck is my #1!!

Comment by devomblr.tumblr.com – March 7, 2011 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! I don’t want to choose but I love Chuck and it’s my #1 show

Comment by Raf – March 7, 2011 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Human Target has really come into it’s own this last season, especially characters like Guerrero!

Comment by udontknowme22 – March 7, 2011 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Television would be a better place if most of those shows were gone.

Comment by Elle – March 7, 2011 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Television would be better if there were more shows like “Chuck”. Can’t comment on the other because I haven’t seen it. All I know is how many freaking hospital dramas and police procedurals does TV need? Doesn’t the American public have any damned imagination?

Comment by Spike – March 7, 2011 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO FAIR!!!! I LOVE THEM BOTH SO MUCH!

Comment by drunkenscholar – March 7, 2011 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Slezak, I just want to tell you that I love this idea. Kudos.

Comment by Laura – March 7, 2011 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why isn’t Detroit 187 included? I know its a long shot, but it is the one out of all of these that I want back the most!

Comment by Bobbi – March 7, 2011 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In reality, It’s not even a long shot – which is sad because it is so well written and acted. I love the show. It really does deserve to stay on the schedule just because it’s a quality show.

Comment by Rowan – March 7, 2011 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sure, start off with two series that I like immensely and play them off against each other.How about bring the loser back against another show that loses?

Comment by Michael – March 7, 2011 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. Unfair pairing in the first round. Considering ‘Chuck’ is, let’s be real here, all but guaranteed to be renewed – What else does NBC have? – I have to go with ‘Human Target’.

‘Target’ deserves another chance to rekindle its former flame.

Comment by Tucker – March 7, 2011 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely Human Target! Who the heck is Chuck? Never heard of him. Must be one of those comedy shows. Yuck!

Comment by jean10brook – March 7, 2011 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Then you should watch it on Monday at 8/7 on NBC. I love both shows, but Chuck’s the best. Check it out, you won’t regret it!
      PS: it’s not only comedy… has a lot of action, romance and a little sci fi too.

Comment by Stefi – March 7, 2011 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who is “Chuck”? Chuck is the greatest show ever! Despite my love for Human Target, I am with Chuck all the way!

Comment by Shervaan Baros – March 7, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What the heck is Human target? Never heard of it. But Chuck is the most amazing show in the world!

Comment by katja – March 7, 2011 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • chuck chuck chuckS5

Comment by thays – March 7, 2011 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck, because I know it’s going to come down to Lie to Me vs. Human Target on FOX. And I want LTM to win that battle.

Comment by Kristen – March 7, 2011 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay, CHUCK is, without a doubt, my pick, but I’d really love for HUMAN TARGET to survive. Besides. NBC has plenty of room on its schedule to keep CHUCK considering its many recent new-series flops. They had better renew this slice of spy wonderfulness! HUMAN TARGET is probably in more danger. But it improved soooo much this season with the addition of Ilsa and Ames. It deserves another season.

Comment by Cass – March 7, 2011 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hate to throw Chuck under the bus, but Human Target made great strides this season. The cast changes made every story better. So 1 vote for Human Target.

Comment by kmac0505 – March 7, 2011 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope, and predict, it will be fringe Vs Chuck in the final. I want both show’s on the air for at least 2 more seasons.

Comment by Ross – March 7, 2011 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fringe has a lot of support at FOX. They know it is a niche show and creatively, they are over the moon about it. I think that unless they have a glut of super-fantastic pilots that would kick this off the schedule (the way Mad About You showed up AFTER the upfronts and got The Powers The Be booted off the schedule in 1992), I strongly believe Fringe is safe for another year.

Comment by Rowan – March 7, 2011 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I vote Chuck. It’s a good show and a win-win situation, because I want Human Target to go bye-bye to make it safer for Fringe to be renewed.

Comment by Aimee – March 8, 2011 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a Sophie’s Choice-type deal.

I vote for both.

Comment by Michael Sacal – March 7, 2011 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love them both!!! Can’t we have them both and get rid of something else??? What about “Being Human” is it in trouble too? I like it as well…

Comment by tvdiva – March 7, 2011 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can I predict now that the final showdown will be Fringe vs. Chuck ? It the only reasonable and expected thing to happen

Comment by Mario – March 7, 2011 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I took a look at the full slate of 16, figured out which one would win each stage of the brackets (fairly easy given the intersection of Ausiello’s fanbase with the larger tv-geek fanbase) and came to the same conclusion: Chuck Vs. Fringe. When it comes to that level, we should get a third option to vote for:

Tie.

Comment by Rob J. – March 7, 2011 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Both of them.

Saw the entire bracket. Fringe vs Outsourced? Really? Outsourced vs Off The Map would have been better.

Comment by Sourabh – March 7, 2011 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck!!!!

Comment by Noe J. Oaks – March 7, 2011 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love both, but if I had to pick, it’s Chuck.

Though I have the complain about the pairings. Fringe vs Outsourced? Fringe should go up against V or The Event!

Comment by Karen MT – March 7, 2011 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • #Chuck, #SaveChuck, #ChuckS5 –> WHOOP! Whoop!

Comment by Sheldon – March 7, 2011 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHUCK all the way!!!!

Comment by Britt – March 7, 2011 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why does it have to be a choice???? You should just put all of the contenders in one poll and let us to pick our top three!

Comment by Amanda – March 7, 2011 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You could, except that it defeats the entire idea of a “March Madness”-style tournament.

Comment by Alice – March 7, 2011 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If I want March Madness, I’ll watch the NCAA.

Comment by Amanda – March 7, 2011 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Has to be Chuck. The stories remain fresh and the characters vibrant. What more could you ask for in this incredibly endearing show?

Comment by Megan – March 7, 2011 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate you for making me choose. Its like Sophie’s choice….

Comment by Jared – March 7, 2011 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also, don’t get me wrong — Human Target is my third pick to get renewed (and No Ordinary Family is my fourth), it’s just that when you put Target up against Chuck in the first bracket, it’s not a fair contest: Chuck should win.

Now, Human Target Vs. Nikita — *that* would be a tough choice.

Comment by Rob J. – March 7, 2011 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love love love Human Target and will be really upset if Fox does not renew it…truly loved season one but season two was even better…want to see Mr. Chance and Mrs. Pucci get together!!!!!

Comment by Carolh – March 7, 2011 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously? Go Chuck!

Comment by Cat – March 7, 2011 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to admit I’ve never watched Chuck but I love love LOVE Human Target! It’s like a high energy action movie every week and you can NEVER tell how it will turn out. None of the characters are perfect and that’s exactly what makes them relatable. PLEASE SAVE HUMAN TARGET!!!

Comment by Karen – March 7, 2011 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BOTH!!!! I love them both. But I voted for Chuck, because I can’t live without it. I’d still be heartbroken if either one was canceled.

Comment by Jenny – March 7, 2011 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHUCK!

Comment by Stufisch – March 7, 2011 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Botgh

Comment by Davey – March 7, 2011 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a big fan of both shows, but if I had to pick, I’d go with Human Target. Chuck with the girl is less entertaining than Check pining for the girl.

Casey has been de-clawed, making Guerrero the bigger bad***.

Comment by side3 – March 7, 2011 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck!!!

B/c it’s awesome!!

Comment by Andrew – March 7, 2011 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuuuuuuuck!!!!
    Do I need to eat more Subway?

Comment by MRinLA – March 7, 2011 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is Detroit 187 not on this list? It gets no love.

Comment by joe – March 7, 2011 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes save “Detroit 187″, “Human Target” and “Lie to Me” and “Fringe”. I like these show along with “SGU” I hate reality shows

Comment by debbie – March 8, 2011 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Human Target is still a fairly new show. I feel it still has a long way to go story-tellingwise. Plus the action sequences are so much better.
    Chuck has gone stale. Same ol’ same ol’ every week. What used to be fun (Jeffster) is now just annoying. Capt. Awesome rarely used. Casey has been quiet most of this season.
    While I still love Chuck, it’s not longer must-see for me, Human Target is.

Comment by Jon – March 7, 2011 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you. And why is Casey so quiet. Dude barely gets any lines… its all about Chuck and Sarah – and to be honest, they are now annoying me more, and I never thought I would ever see this day.

Comment by Vanny – March 7, 2011 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A life without Chuck wouldn’t be a life at all. My vote is for Chuck all the way!

Comment by Brynna – March 7, 2011 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck FTW

Comment by mitch – March 7, 2011 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community is a total certainty?! Awesomesauce!

Comment by Ryan – March 7, 2011 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry, I can’t vote as you only gave two choices. There should be at least three, with the additional one being “Both” (my choice) or perhaps even four, with “Neither” (boo, hiss) being the last choice.

Why is it that every time there is an online poll we never get real selections like “both, all of the above, none of them, never heard of them, who cares, who are these people, never should have been on the air in the first place, hope they keep going for many more years, send them to fame whore heaven/hell, put them out to pasture, they’ve had their 15 minutes (and it was 14 minutes too long), etc. I’m sure you get the drift.

Comment by amadeline75 – March 7, 2011 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Omg I love chuck and i’ve only seen a few episodes of human target and I really enjoyed it but I pick chuck this was a great idea

Comment by Berry – March 7, 2011 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only character I love from Human Target is Guerrero because he’s a real badass and I would love to keep watching him but the girls made the show weak. Now Chuck on the other hand has many things to look forward to like obviously Chuck and his merry band of Morgan, Casey and Jeffster. I’m a fan of both shows but I pick Chuck.

Comment by Nilsy Feliciano – March 7, 2011 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is really unfair… 4 of my favourite shows are facing off in the first 2 weeks and I don’t give a damn about the rest on the list.

But as for Human Target, I agree, the girls detracted from the main idea of 3 bad ass guys saving lives. Ilsa was especially irritating at the beginning when she was trying to control all the legality’s of what they were doing, after promising she’d be a silent partner…

So chuck it is, they need at least one more season for syndication anyhow so maybe they’ll take that into consideration besides the low ratings and wrap things up with a fifth.

Comment by Boksta101 – March 7, 2011 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. I’m female and I loved the storyline last season. Now they are (predictably) trying to shove Ilsa and Chance into a relationship and setting it up for Guerrero and Ames to get involved and I was just getting used to the heartbreak of Chance’s lost love at the end of the first season. It was so very Casablanca. I loved the direction they were going last season and this season has been a huge disappointment. I’d rather see Ilsa with Guerrero. Ilsa always seems so bewildered by Guerrero.

Comment by Tammi – March 7, 2011 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oh I so agree with you on this one. I was really into Human Target but this year has been a huge disappointment.
          So I guess my vote is gonna go to Chuck.

Comment by Elicia – March 9, 2011 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why do we have to choose one or the other? I really like both of these shows and hope they both return.

Comment by Jennifer – March 7, 2011 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love both shows – Chuck and Human Target should both be renewed. (Although, the lovely dovey Chuck and Sarah story – it will hit a wall sooner or later). All reality based shows…they can all go away. Honorable mention, Fringe and Chase are great too. Networks, pay attention.

Comment by pwong – March 7, 2011 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • do I ever agree with this comment, the whole comment.

Comment by Linda – March 9, 2011 06:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Human Target. I just know this show is gonna get disrespected yet it’s one of the best on tv. Great characters, it’s funny and has excellent fight scenes.

Comment by Sandy – March 7, 2011 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to agree with you about the fight scenes. Human Target has some of the best fight choreography I’ve seen on TV. Both Valley and Haley (and their stunt guys) do great job of selling the fights and making it look as brutal as TV standards will allow.

Comment by Ktak – March 16, 2011 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post