Blind Item: Which Show Will Be Seeing Double?

The fans of a certain primetime actor will double their pleasure by season’s end, when their favorite star pops up in a dual role.

Is this a case of an “evil twin” (viva Grant Putnam!), an unexplained doppelganger (remember Peter Brady and Arthur Owens?), or the increasingly trendy alt-universe counterpart? I’m not at liberty to say, because the reveal is meant to be quite the finale-time showstopper. (And trust me, it will be.)

I can only part with this one hint: The show in question is a drama. Also, I’m personally curious to see the performer in question share his/her take on this “double take.”

TVLine Blind Item: Hit Show May Give Diva the Boot

Does this “double blind” item leave you sufficiently twin piqued? Share your guesses about whose workload could be increasing in the comments section below!

1. Mercedes says:

This feels like something Grey’s Anatomy would do.

• Mary says:

I was thinking the same, especially because it’s a finale showstopper. Grey’s is getting pretty good at this!

• JossisGod says:

Greys. The best part about these blind items is that usually there are textual clues as to which show it is. As he referred to it as a “showstopper”, i can only imagine that is a reference to the greys musical.

• TJ says:

Yes. Surely this must Grey’s. To complicate things a bit – can this be a-kinda-crossover-thingy with Private P?

• Nick says:

What if Addison began working on both shows, or if Ben came back to Greys AND worked on off the map. Would personally love to see two lots of Cristina. –> How many other shows are out there with a spin-off series that could actually attempt to pull this off?

• JohnDoe says:

People still watch Grey’s Anatomy?…

• Zilly says:

Yes, people still watch Greys. Us and then 10 million other people!

• reed says:

UH yeah.. have you been living under a rock or something?

• James M Joice says:

Ya, I can see where your coming from, Just when you watch a couple of episodes and resart following the time line…they show reruns and you lose whats going on. I’ve been forced, more than once, to catch up on the story line, online….shame on ABC

2. timotey says:

Wasn’t there a spoiler some time back that the NCIS team will be getting their dopplegangers?

• tmb510 says:

I thought NCIS at first, but does it qualify for a drama? Or would they say cop show.

• Bethany says:

NCIS is definitely a drama (there are 2 over-arching categories for fictional TV shows–drama and comedy. Procedurals are a sub-category of drama.) But this would never happen on NCIS. They’re too classy, too careful for an episode like that.

• Jill says:

That is patently untrue. I love NCIS, but “classy” is not a word I would use to describe it.

That being said, they’ve already done two episodes where they met their “dopplegangers” (from other agencies), so I feel like this would be lazy writing.

THAT being said, I’d love to see Michael Weatherly do it.

• Alicia says:

Weatherly has basically already done this. Remember the episode where he was accused of murder and thrown in jail for the day? He played out his cross-examination in the jail cell, as the attorney and the witness.

• Charli says:

I don’t know, an evil DiNozzo could be awesome

It won’t be Criminal Minds, cause that would be an eviler twin

3. Rob says:

First thing I thought of was Peter on Fringe.

• Denise says:

I thought Peter too. For a while I’ve been thinking that there’s more to the guy than we’ve been shown. I’ve been wondering if maybe Walternate didn’t switch Peters as well as Olivia’s. Our Walter took a Peter from another universe, who’s to say Walternate hasn’t done the same and made him a secret agent.

• song4ten says:

Except that there isn’t an our-universe Peter. He is dead, which is why Walter took alt-Peter from the other side…

• michael says:

Yes but there is more than just 2 universes, who’s to say walternates unstabble universe is due to him searching for a peter with no father

• jinq says:

The show has been hinting that there are more universes out there, so I’m thinking this might have some merit as well!

• Michael Sacal says:

So, maybe Walternate has been scouring the multiverse for alt-versions of Peter to find one that can activate the machine only to discover that his son, the one Walter stole, is the only one that can do it?

I suppose it’s plausible (I’m not particularly fund of the idea, though).

There’s one thing I don’t get. The machine is millions of years old, meaning that it was built before Peter was born, so why would the First People calibrate it to only work for him?

@song4ten

Two words, Zombie Peter (this is Fringe after all).

• Rich says:

Unless there’s a 3rd universe and that Peter shows up…

• real1 says:

What ? Walternat did a clone of Peter ? or had another son = Peter’s twin brother ?

• Kate says:

This is hugely stretching and I don’t think it fits the clues quite so well, but if Peter and Olivia’s relationship is looking towards up, wouldn’t it be crazy to see Alt-Universe John Scott, our Olivia’s old boyfriend, made an appearance?
      Bound with little to no evidence to suggest otherwise, but he is one of the few (if not the only) recurring characters who hasn’t shown up in both worlds. I just think that would shake the show in an interesting way.

4. ruby says:

i can’t think of anything that’s not a soap opera my mind is totally blank

5. Justin says:

Why must everyone assume that all of these Blind Items are Grey’s Anatomy?

• JohnDoe says:

Agreed. People still watch Grey’s Anatomy?…

• Trew says:

ITA. It doesn’t even make sense for GA.

• Ss says:

exactly. Greys is “real” not scifi. This is clearly a show with more possibilitys to do freakishly crazy stuff, say.. Scifi shows.

• CC says:

I think those suggesting Grey’s aren’t thinking in terms of sci fi, but soapy drama/insane season finales. Which Grey’s does (the Mark/Callie/Arizona baby, anyone?), which is why so many of us have stopped watching. Fringe sounds like a good choice to me, though.

6. JMJE says:

Oooh is it possible that original Peter on Fringe didn’t really die as a kid? That would be fun.

7. Jess says:

My first thought is Fringe… but we already know that there’s “doubles” from the Alt Universe.

But the producers keep teasing fans that we’re in for some unexplained surprises for the remainder of the seasons, so maybe!

8. Karen says:

Peter on Fringe … maybe Walternate kidna… Would that be tooo much of an odd story for Fringe?

• Butter says:

How about our Lincoln Lee? We haven’t seen his equivalent in our world!

• Holly says:

Didn’t they find the Lincoln on this side already? I thought he was the one with the sister and he was a bad guy. They chased him on to a roof. Then Olivia had to talk him down. Something like that.

• Oz says:

No that was Nick Lane, another of the kids in the Cortexiphan trials. He was “bad” but he was able to learn how to control his abilities and joined the Rescue Peter group in last season’s finale. He disappeared with Sally, another kid from the Cortexiphan trials, while they were being chased in the alternate universe by Lincoln.

• xav says:

Lincoln is showing up in an episode very soon. Photos have already been released of him in This Universe.

9. Joe says:

Peter’s machine destroys the alt-universe. But, moments before Bolivia and Walternate, and Lincoln cross over using one of the alt-children.

10. Amy says:

I’m guessing it’s Peter Bishop from the Third Universe :)

11. RMH says:

‘V’ is the first show that comes to mind. Perhaps Elizabeth Mitchell has a Visitor lurking under her skin?

12. Craig says:

Oh, Mitovich, your Vampire Diaries piece was published about a year too late. ;)

…kidding :) I actually am curious what this one will be.

13. Michael says:

I’m new to watching Fringe, so I’m not sure if people are really fans of Joshua Jackson as much as they are just fans of this show and this article implies the person who’s doing the dual role has a big fan base.

Hopefully it’s a show I watch! :D

14. chris says:

My first thought too Rob was Peter from Fringe. For many reasons, let alone that show doing awesome, crazy things that leave you dying at the end of the season!

15. Diane D says:

I’m not going to guess, but just note that I haven’t heard the name “Grant Putnam” in a long, long time.

16. Cass says:

Sounds like Peter (or, I suppose, Nina Sharp–although she’s a mysterious character already) on FRINGE, if they create yet another universe; we already see double with the rest of the cast. Then again, it wouldn’t surprise me if simply interacting with the freakin’ doomsday/creation device spawns an evil Peter twin or something. You never know with that show, and if it’s meant to be a season-ending shock, it certainly sounds Fringian. But perhaps not. As for other shows, I really don’t know.

17. Kathy says:

Here’s one to ponder…Beckett on Castle….

• Rick says:

Or better yet, Castle on Castle. A look-a-like as a murderer who captures Beckett at the season end. Maybe he can be the one who ordered the murder of Beckett’s mom? Hmmm.

• Terry says:

I just saw this on a Castle update….
      Castle

• Courtney Hill says:

I knew there was a reason I thought it was Castle! I read that tweet earlier today. An evil Castle (or Beckett or really any of the gang) would be awesome.

18. Meredith says:

Could be Smallville given the alternate universe storyline.

• Melissa says:

That’s what I was thinking! Maybe Bizzaro comes back? Or could it be something to do with Lex/Michael Rosenabum?

19. Jessica says:

It’s gotta be NCIS. There was a spoiler a while back saying that they were gonna do a doppleganger-type story and it would play into the finale because the team wouldn’t realize that one of their own wasn’t who they said they were.

20. JT says:

We’re definitely going to the yellow universe on Fringe. Enjoy playing the THIRD Peter, Josh!

21. Loiter says:

Peter – Fringe – 3rd universe.

22. Gambs says:

How about “Smallville?” Bizarro Superman, anyone?

• Cujo says:

Sorry, that storyline was done in season 7

• mattblows says:

it is bizarro some one got to suck the green k out of lana so her and clark can ride of in the sun set and plus a good friend of matt’s over at k site by the name of greg been waiting to spill the beans on kk coming back for a while.greg been droping hints on his tweeter for a while.

23. FH14 says:

I feel like it could be Kalinda on the Good Wife. She already has a [SPOILER] secret husband, why not a secret twin sister?

24. Duncan Houst says:

“Fringe” is too obvious, so I’m going to say it’s some other show.

25. Jon says:

Double the shirtlessness of Alex O’Laughlin? Hells yes!
    Hawaii Five-O.

26. Alex says:

My guess is William Bell on Fringe. But maybe not because I think I remember Nimoy saying that he was retiring. So maybe Nina Sharp.

• Aimee says:

Ah, But Nimoy confirmed that he is coming back to Fringe. But I don’t think they are talking about any of the Fringe cast. Plus, I like the fact there is only one Peter Bishop that we know of.

27. mgb says:

Clark has an evil twin in an alternate universe on Smallville. Tom Welling does an excellent job playing a bad version of his character, so it’s fun to watch. I’d like to see that again.

28. Saracen Riggins says:

IF it is another Peter on Fringe, it’d definitely have to be a 3rd universe. Because he’s known as missing in the 2nd universe. That wouldn’t be the case if Walternate had somehow managed to steal the original universe’s Peter and somehow cure him.

29. Goldie says:

Leonard Nimoy hinted on twitter a couple of weeks ago that he was headed back to Fringe. Maybe there’s another William Bell?

• Doug says:

The alternate Bell died in a car accident, it was revealed either at the end of last season or the beginning of this one

30. Andie says:

Maybe I’m reading too much into his pun, but the reference to “twin piqued” makes me think of Psych, which is theoretically planning another Twin Peaksy episode. I don’t watch the show, so I’m not sure if its season is even going on, but maybe this is it.

31. Scott says:

Charlie Sheen as “sane” Charlie.

32. Lou says:

I don’t think its a sci-fi show otherwise it wouldn’t be showstopper as that kind of thing happens regularly in that genre.

33. lefty says:

I’m guessing Jason on True Blood :)

Or Vampire Diaries…Stefan? Damon? Another Katherine Doppelganger?

• Anissa says:

If you read the TrueBlood books then your theory has a lot of merit…esp since this season has the fairy angle.

34. Matt says:

Patrick Jane has multiple personality disorder, and he’s been Red John the entire time!

• Rich says:

I would love this idea.

• JohnDoe says:

I think this is what it could be too. Simon Baker would be fascinating to watch as some sort of evil twin on The Mentalist.

• caitie says:

But in the S2 finale, Patrick was restrained to that chair while Red John killed people.

Anyway, I am a bigger fan of the theory that Red John is a master hypnotist and he hypnotized Jane when he was restrained there, thus the shoulder clasp and the “Roll Tide” and the poem.

• JohnDoe says:

I think the fact that we’ve never heard about Jane’s mother, or possible other siblings makes me think it could possibly be a twin. Red John does tease him with:
        “Tyger, Tyger, burning bright, in the forests of the night…what immortal hand or eye could frame thy FEARFUL SYMMETRY?…”

35. Elisabeth says:

Why do I have a feeling that this is Castle…?

36. Elisabeth says:

Oh! I know, it’s because Castle on Facebook just posted this message;
    “Murder is an everyday occurrence on the set of Temptation Lane, but this time, it’s not an act. Could this mean there won’t be a guest appearance by a previously unknown twin?”

37. sietsx says:

I would like to see Alicia from The Good Wife. Then she can be a good wife to Peter, and the dirty mistress to Will lol.

38. paige says:

OMG if it is Peter that would be fan-freaking-tabulous!!! Holy crap!

39. Donna says:

There’s been a rumor going around that a second Peter will be generated by the Machine on Fringe… who knows…

40. Amanda says:

Matt, you’ve joined Michael on the dark side!

41. Jon says:

Peter from the first universe. He didn’t really die. Ooooo shocking

42. tj says:

pretty little liars!

43. yesmin says:

Smallville? Well i hope so it is! Lol

44. Dragen says:

Charlie on Two and a Half Men.

45. yesmin says:

hmm i think it talk about wonder woman?

46. TJCrinc says:

return of bizarro?

47. Media Ho says:

Bwahaha, Matt….an evil smile came over my face as I read the name “Grant Putnam”! I started watching GH because of Grant & Celia….and will never forget the evil grin on his doppelganger’s face as he entered the courtroom with his hair slicked back a la Grant. Classic soap reference!

48. Ingmar says:

Althought I dont know for certain ; I do strongly believe it has to be someone from either The Vampire Diaries or Fringe. I dont see a cop show or hospital drama or something make a stunt like this.

• luvprue1 says:

I would love for this blind to be about the Vampire Diaries, although I seriously doubt it. However I think it would be way cool if there was an doppleganger of Matt. Could you imagine “Evil Matt”….or better yet, I think it would be great if Stefan,or Jeremy had a evil doppleganger.

49. Lily says:

Jameson Rook in Castle! The producers of Nikki Heat chose Nathan Fillion to play the character!!! So funny :)

50. Jonah says:

Stop me if I’m wrong…but didn’t this already happen…in the season one finale of Haven.