Chris Egan Is Poe, and More Pilot Casting News

Kings alum Chris Egan is going from playing a rich man to a Poe man, as the titular sleuth in an ABC pilot set in 1840s Boston. Tabrett Bethell (The Legend of the Seeker) has been cast as Poe’s muse.

Other pilot castings, per our pals at Deadline:

* Jesse Bradford (Outlaw) has landed the lead in Other People’s Kids, an ABC comedy about a 32-year-old guy who falls for an older woman (Bonnie Sommerville) who comes with two kids, an ex-husband and a set of former in-laws.

* Marcia Gay Harden will play overbearing mom to Kyle Howard (My Boys) in the ABC sitcom Smothered.

* Sherri Saum (One Life to Live) and Abigail Spencer (Mad Men) are Eric Roberts’ daughters (via different mothers) in Grace, an ABC drama pilot penned by Krista Vernoff (Grey’s Anatomy) and set in the world of professional dance.

* Bruce Greenwood (John from Cincinnati) is a TV explorer who goes missing in The River, an ABC horror thriller.

* Swingtown‘s Miriam Shor will give Leslie Bibb (Popular) a less-than-warm welcome in Good Christian Bitches, an ABC drama about a former “mean girl” who returns to her hometown, post-divorce, hoping to make nice. Yeah, good luck with that.

Catch Up on All of TVLine’s Pilot Season Casting News

1. Andrea says:

I was probably one of the ten people on the planet who watched KINGS. Will check out Chris Egan and POE for that reason.

• David says:

Kings was a brilliant show.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

KINGS was terrific.

• Erin says:

Kings deserved better. It was a show that should have aired on HBO or Showtime, I love that NBC took the risk but man they screwed with the programming. Let alone it’s wasn’t exactly prime-time fare.

He did well in Kings and I was wondering where he had gone to after watching Letters to Juliet just the other week. Not sure about Tabrett though, heard she was good in TLOTS however I only know her from school and after that, her slightly unsucessful modelling jaunt.

• Mikaylah says:

I love Kings too! I’m excited to see Chris Egan in something that sounds as interesting as this. I also loved Tabrett Bethell in Legend of the Seeker, so I will definitely be checking out Poe.

• Saulo says:

I’m number 11!

• Jenny says:

I loved Kings and Legend of the Seeker so I will definitely check it out!

2. Kris says:

Bonnie Somerville is playing an “older woman?” She’s 37! She’s only like 5 years older than Jesse.

3. Jess says:

LESLIE BIBB! Love her!

4. Tim says:

You’re kidding, right? KINGS was DOA. What a waste of money and talent.

5. Chuck says:

Wait… how many supernatural/fantasy detective series does that make for next season?

6. Michael Sacal says:

“Good Christian Bitches”

Won’t the PTC just love that title?, heh.

7. Tristan says:

Umm, Chris Egan did NOT play a rich man in Kings, despite the title. Duh.

8. dee123 says:

Thank you Tristan, glad to know at least someone else around here knew that.

9. Andrea says:

David wasn’t rich at the beginning of KINGS, but he did acquire a certain amount of favor, standing, and some monetary gifts as a national war hero after he saved Jack. One could also say that David also curried the most spiritual favor throughout the run of KINGS, thus making him “rich” in that way. It seems that Matt might have just been going for a play on words for “Rich man, poor man.” Rich man, Poe man.”

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

You’re right, Andrea — I mixed up the two lads from KINGS, Chris played the war hero who rose up the ranks. But I like my intro line too much to change, so I hope no one’s weekend was ruined by my oversight ;)

10. Kate says:

LOVE Chris Egan, i had a crush on him back in his Home and Away days, and Kings was really good shame about how it didnt last, also Love him in Letters To Juliet which i watched last night, will defo check this show out now, which i have to say i wasnt planning to do!

11. Sandy says:

I also Loved Chris in Aussie Soap Home & Away, He was such a lil cutie

12. cliff says:

am i the only surprised that marcia gay harden will be on a television sitcom!?!? i really hope it works out well for her. she’s an oscar winner who deserves better than a presumably supporting role in a sitcom, and a supporting role in that amanda knox lifetime movie.

13. laura says:

Hated him in Home and Away. Even by their standards, his acting seemed poor. Will wait to see the ratings before i sign up for that pain. If it rates well, then there must be more to the show than him, like Tabrett.

14. Jane says:

Well Poe’s casting just got a little more Australian with both leads Sydney born.

15. Sue says:

The show is set in Boston? I wonder if the two Aussies will try to do a Boston accent. That should be interesting. LOL

16. boidiva02 says:

In what world is Bonnie Somerville an “Older Woman?” she is 38 and Jesse isn’t much younger; he’s 31.