Fall TV Preview

Who Will Judge Fox's X Factor: Paula Abdul? Katy Perry? Cheryl Cole? Simon Says….

Simon Cowell says the producers of Fox’s The X Factor, which premieres this fall, have “spoken to lots of people” about serving as judges on the U.S. port of the British hit, and when it comes to Paula Abdul, yes, she has a spot on their increasingly short list.

“We’ve taken it down to a smaller group of people and she’s in that panel,” Cowell told Access Hollywood, saying that he himself has had discussions with his onetime American Idol foil. “But it’s more than me who makes the decision.”

Simon Says: X Factor Is Unlike Any Show You Have Seen – Plus, Audition Sites Revealed

Cowell says it is “crucial” that the X Factor panel include “a hit-maker who worked in America and has had experience” — especially since, unlike Idol, this singing competition has the judges also serve as mentors.

So in addition to Abdul, Mariah Carey and Pussycat Dolls frontwoman Nicole Scherzinger are also in the running. But California Gurl Katy Perry is not, Cowell confirmed.

And while George Michael has a spot on the short list, another British recording artist — Sir Elton John — doesn’t, contrary to rumors. “He’s so grumpy nowadays,” Cowell notes with apparently no sense of irony. “He’d be moaning the whole time.”

Fox’s X Factor Announces $5 Million Grand Prize

As for Cheryl Cole, a favorite panelist from the U.K. X Factor (though hardly a household name in these parts, yet neither was Simon pre-2002), Cowell told E! News “she’s definitely in the mix.”

Cowell also hinted that an unexpected name could claim a seat at the dais. “We [just] met somebody who I’ve never met before in my life, who I just loved,” he said, not naming names. “That’s why it’s good to [take your time with] the process.”

Comments (53)

• Nicole Scherzinger is in the running for the UK X Factor. No way George Michael is going to be on the panel. Mariah Carey won’t be either if Tommy Mottola is in. And if you’re trying to launch a new show based on the premise that it’s completely different than American Idol would you put former American Idol judge Paula Abdul on the judging panel? I don’t think so.

Comment by XFactorFAN – March 4, 2011 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I so agree about choosing Paula. I think it will be too much like Idol if she is chosen. Plus, her dance show did not do well in the ratings, so American does not really seem to be looking for more Paula.

Comment by MDEP – March 4, 2011 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • of course she would be great soft and loving so missed on idol. She and Simon are great together. he’s so honest and she softens the blow.

Comment by SAM – March 10, 2011 03:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG, please, let it be Paula Abdul!
    I’d love to see these two together again!

Comment by Doma – March 4, 2011 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cheryl Cole is not a well-known name over here. Every time someone mentions her, I go: “Cheryl Cole? Surely you mean Sheryl Crow, right?” :)

Besides, since “one of them has to be Asian British” (C 30 Rock), I’d say Simon is more than enough. Paula deserves a spot. Carey is over the hill career-wise and Scherzinger already has The Sing Off.

I’d like for the third judge to be a woman, though. AI has almost always been two guys, one girl. The X Factor can do the opposite.

Comment by abc123 – March 4, 2011 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “The X-Factor” will have 4 judges/mentors: each one of them will guide one of the contestant’s category: Girls, Boys, Groups and Under 20-Something!

Comment by Saulo – March 4, 2011 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • *and Over 20-Something

Comment by Saulo – March 4, 2011 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why does Paula “deserve” a spot? Sorry, but she’s done nothing to suggest she “deserves” anything. Sorry, but when it comes to Paula “judging” (if that’s what you’d call her non-sensical, drug induced yammering)a singing competition she’s already been there – done that. She had her chance, didn’t do it very well and now it’s time for her to move on. Based on her Valentines day call to 911 I’d say she’s better suited to be on “Cops” than anything else.

Comment by djm – March 4, 2011 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wow! You’re pathetic. Paula obviously had a reason to call the cops if her bf wouldn’t let her out of his car. And yes, she does deserve a spot because she is amazing at what she does. She is an amazing singer and really does know what she is talking about. So how could they not pick Paula? Ohh, and Paula DOES NOT do drugs, or drink. Thank you very much,

Comment by Jessica – March 4, 2011 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • very well said jessica..she’s amazing,sometimes new show needs some familiarity and of course chemistry..she deserves the spot..:)) thank u..xx

Comment by Paulasangel – March 15, 2011 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Nicole Scherzinger on UK X Factor, instead of the awful Cheryl Cole you lot can have her. Out of those four (excluding Nicole) Paula Abdul would be the best.

Comment by Ben – March 4, 2011 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @abc123 There are FOUR judges on the panel, two men and two women.

Cheryl Cole is not a well-known name over here. But neither were Piers Morgan, Craig Ferguson, Simon Cowell, Hugh Laurie and the hundreds of Australian and Canadian actors on prime time television. That’s the thing, that you can introduce someone new and make a big name out of it.

I would like to see Shania Twain on that panel.

Comment by RPA – March 4, 2011 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @RPA Agree would love Shania I think she would be a great judge…I wonder who this person he just met with is…I was also thinking maybe Jamie Foxx or Queen Latifah they both have both have had hit movies, tv shows and music and with Latifah she is the face of cover girl she would be great to mentor the contestants she has done it all.

Comment by Reena – March 4, 2011 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Next? Nothing against Cowell, but none of the above. Hoping show fails, I can’t take another one of these shows.

Comment by John – March 4, 2011 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • who is forcing you to watch it? Don’t hope for a show to fail just because you’re not interested. There are others in the world besides you, John.

Comment by Sen – March 4, 2011 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well Cheryl Cole is very very good on the UK version and would be great if she was but wouldn’t there be too much cross over? I believe Abdul is a shoo in and will be one of the female judges. As for the other 2 i think they could be an unknown. Cowell did say he met someone for the first time and it could be that person who is going to be the 4th judge.

Can’t wait for this show i really can’t. This will be better than Idol and i love Idol.

Comment by Guy – March 4, 2011 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cole was good on the Uk show? Did you watch it? Her mentoring was awful, in fact one of the girls this year asked to do her own stuff for one week and it was the only week she was safe for!
      The her song choices, put it this way in the Beatles week she choose Yesterday and Imagine (A Lennon song), for voices that would have been better with songs like Blackbird,
      Cole knows nothing about music she is just a pretty face and thats how shes made it here in the UK, happy she wont be a judge over here any more but people in the US will not like her and her moronic critics!

Comment by Kate – March 5, 2011 06:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love how we all laugh a bit at Paula’s rambling but everyone still loves her. She would thrive as a mentor.

Comment by Matt – March 4, 2011 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m rooting for Cheryl Cole and Paula Abdul.
    I absolutely love Cheryl, she’s great on UK X Factor, she’s funny, sensitive and feisty, she makes a great pair with Simon, fans call them Chimon.
    I think a mix between Saula and Chimon could be pretty hilarious, given that Chezza and Paula always speak their minds and always fight with Simon.

Comment by Sam – March 4, 2011 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anybody but Nicole! She grated on my nerves on DWTS and I’d never watch XFactor if she is a judge. Too full of herself for no reason. I’d like to see Paula or Mariah. If Mariah is anything like her hubby, she’d do well and Lord knows the woman can sing anything. Katy would be ok but she’s still new and benefits a lot from autotune and being hot, not necessarily vocal ability. Personally, I love George Michael but with his history, no way will he be on here.

Comment by GS – March 4, 2011 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “But California Gurl Katy Perry is not, Cowell confirmed.”

“Sir Elton John — doesn’t, contrary to rumors. “He’s so grumpy nowadays,” Cowell notes with apparently no sense of irony. “He’d be moaning the whole time.”

I don’t know if I will watch this show as yet if they will be as manipulative as Fuller, Warwick and Lythgoe are with American Idol, but if I do decide to watch, I have to say THANK GOODNESS the two in quotes are not in the running. I’m ODing on Katy Perry and as for Elton…never liked him since he accused Americans of being bigots during Season 3 of American Idol.

As for Paula Abdul. She doesn’t thrill me either. She’s too emotional and too in love with half the male contestants, IMO to be a good and qualified judge. If X Factor hires her…it will be for the ratings. I think, inasmuch as I only peek into Idol Season 10, that they are better off without both Simon and Paula AND Kara. If they got rid of Randy, now that they have another label…then the show might gain some legitimacy.

Comment by Doseofrealism – March 4, 2011 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Over Emotional” Paula Abdul would be perfect for this show.

“THe X-Factor” is different than “Idol”. They don’t use to criticize the competitors, but their mentors. The mentors work WITH the contestants, because they all wanna win this competition. There is a lot of rivalty between the panelists… that, more the awesome talent America will provide, will make this show the greatest hour on television!

I’ll watch the two versions (US and UK), so I don’t care each side of the Atlantic Cheryl will be… but I love her so much and hope to see her on the franchise later this year!

Comment by Saulo – March 4, 2011 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted Cheryl Cole just so she gets off our (UK) version. Annoying idiotic woman.

Comment by Matt Durrant – March 4, 2011 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am hoping for Paula. Just because her dance show did poorly does not mean America doesn’t like her. There are just too many dance shows already. Simon and Paula are more fun together.

Comment by dj – March 4, 2011 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Paula! No matter her actions there’s no doubting their amazing chemistry together and it makes for great tv! Those two together are tv gold! PAULA!

Comment by leon – March 4, 2011 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Paula all the way!! No one else comes even close.

Comment by Ann – March 4, 2011 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so looking forward to seeing Paula and Simon again. Saula all the way. I also love Mariah and hope she takes the other female spot. But with Rumours of Tommy Mottola being on the panel, I am not sure if that is going to happen.

Comment by Lee – March 4, 2011 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please let it b paula

Comment by Dianna – March 4, 2011 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anybody else still hoping that David Foster is in the running to be a judge?

Comment by Joey – March 4, 2011 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 4I lov paula and think she wud b pfect people stil twet about misng paula on idol

Comment by Dians – March 4, 2011 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Paula ended up being such a joke on Idol I really don’t understand why people are pushing so hard for her to get a seat on this show. She ended up having absolutely no credibility towards the end of her run and honestly it was just sad.

Comment by David – March 4, 2011 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She was what kept the show together. It totally fell apart after she left and this season they needed not one but two people to fill the void she left because there’s no one like her. JLo and Steven Tyler are both filling aspects of what she brought to the show and they’re still kinda just poor man’s substitutes for the real thing.

Simon said himself Paula is one of the best judges he’s ever worked with. Even if she doesn’t get credit for it she is amazing at picking talent.

Comment by akh – March 4, 2011 10:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am hoping for Paula. She’s a great mentor and her and Simon have amazing chemistry. I think this is a done deal.
    Cheryl and Nicole don’t have enough success in the US to be on the panel or not a big enough draw. Mariah Carey is a great singer but is little annoying listen to. I would prefer someone like Jessica Simpson, Alicia Keys, or Shania Twain. I wouldn’t be surprised if one singer is from Sony since Simon works for Sony it would be away to promote one of their artist and making money off it.

Comment by Sue – March 4, 2011 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Paula would be one of the judges, I would really feel bad for the contestants who would get her as their mentor. They would be in a poorer position from the get-go.

Comment by Emma – March 5, 2011 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HEY FYI.paula’s the one who picked for ADAM LAMBERT.. if you can recall simon criticized him being a theatrical singer but paula believes in him so he gets through..even for danny and matt giraud..if your close to simon you can also ask him about it,,..thank u..xx

Comment by Paulasangel – March 15, 2011 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Paula Abdul please! She’d make an amazing mentor and her chemistry with Simon is amazing!

Comment by Jenna – March 5, 2011 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Paula Abdul should be getting the judge because
    1. SHES AN ANGEL!!!
    2.SIMONS INLOVE WITH HER!!!
    3. SHES THE BEST JUDGE ON THE PLANET!!!
    4. XFACTOR WILL GET WAY MORE VIEWERS!!!
    5. SIMON AND PAULA COMPLEMENT EACHOTHER AND THEY ARE EVERYONES FAV JUDGES :)))
    6.PAULA ABDUL IS MY IDOL AND ID ONLY WATCH XFACTOR IF SHE WAS IN IT :)

Comment by Milly – March 5, 2011 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Paula Abdul shouldn’t be on the judging panel because

1. PEOPLE LIKE YOU SHOULD CALL PLANET EARTH FOR HELP!!!

Comment by Me – March 6, 2011 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Just because you don’t agree with this person doesn’t mean you need to say something like that. That’s kind of hurtful. It’s ok to have your own opinion but don’t be rude about it

Comment by Leon – March 6, 2011 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Ha! it’s not that I don’t agree with this person, it’s that her listed number 2 is reason enough to think this person needs serious help.

Comment by Me – March 9, 2011 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • you mean her “simon’s inlove w/ her ” reason is enough for her to needs a serious help?? you’re the one who’s out of your mind..we can show you a lot of proofs about it..even simon said before that “I LOVE HER TO DEATH NOW,I HATE TO ADMIT THIS BUT I DO” if you want to see the tape i can post it in here..” thank u.xx

Comment by Paulasangel – March 15, 2011 05:40 PM PDT
  • PAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULAPAULA ABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDULABDUL
    PAULA ABDUL!!!! :D love her America Loves her just… ya pick her please!! hahaha

Comment by RoseMarie H. – March 7, 2011 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love or hate her Paula is entertaining to watch. He’ll yes bring on the over emotional crazy sweetheart.

Comment by Marie – March 12, 2011 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I MISS PAULA AND SIMON TOGETHER ON TELEVISION…SAULA 4EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by anne gonzales – March 14, 2011 10:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SHE DESERVE THE SPOT…MANY FANS WOULD LIKE 2 SEE THEM TOGETHER IN ONE SHOW..WE LOVE SAULA!

Comment by anne gonzales – March 14, 2011 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • as long as PAULA ABDUL’S ON THE PANEL..I’M GOING TO WATCH THE SHOW..IT’S GOING TO BE A NEW SHOW,THAT SOME PEOPLE ARE NOT FAMILIAR W/ SO I THINK SEEING PAULA ABDUL AND SIMON COWELL ON THE PANEL WILL HELP THE AUDIENCE TO RELATE AND BE FAMILIARIZED…and people,i know paula’s show was not that successful but it’s not enough reason for u to judge her ability,and also i know some people criticizing her judging ability but if you stop seeing all those negative stuff and look at the positive things that paula can give to the show you’ll see the reason why we love her being one of the judges..for being a mentor she’s sure to be the best one,you can’t deny the fact that she’s one of the best pop singer in the world,she can do her own thing,she can sing,she can dance,she can perform,she’s a tv gold,,let’s be honest here, you love or hate her i’m sure you’re still going to watch the show,some people here will going to watch even though they hate paula,because criticizing her is what they do best,they’re going to watch the show just to say awful things about paula,GROW UP PEOPLE!!..she’s not perfect anyways here’s my message to you guys.” a person’s biggest admirer is her HATERS” have a great life people..xx

Comment by Paulasangel – March 15, 2011 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still holding out for Shania Twain.

Comment by Bru – March 18, 2011 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well when it comes to talent, Mariah Carey beats this bunch by a wide wide margin. I’m not surprised she’s being considered as she really know what she is talking about. On the other hand, Mariah has a sweet persona. I don’t think she’d be comfortable criticizing people. The other choices? I don’t care. Nothing against Paula but when she was on Idol, I thought she was often blank. Didn’t know what to say and often mumbled. Nicole? Really? I hope not. George Michael, never mind. I’ve heard about Cheryl like 2 times in 3 years so I guess it’s safe to say Cheryl who?

Comment by aznwin5 – March 20, 2011 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the judges should be Simon cowell, Cheryl cole, axl rose and britney spares. That would be a bit different. And why not they have Steve Tyler on idol and britney would benefit by the work and publicity that’s what its all about right.

Comment by cazbat1978 – May 5, 2011 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think I would be a great judge. Give me a call Simon… ;)

Comment by Cher – May 5, 2011 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • mariah is a great choice to be a judge…because she is a one of greatest voice and singer ever…….so it is very suitable to choose her as a judge for X Factor 2011….because we must remember…this programme is for searching the talented and great new singer…….so she will give any idea….as we know…she more know about the voice the picthing…the things about the voice technic………so she is a best choose to be…..:)

Comment by cairol fyrdaus – May 8, 2011 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sometimes we forget to realize that we have a jewel … sparkling gems for us to use it as an ornament …. when we saw our world as Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Aretha Franklin, Whitney Houston, and besides them, we lose precious -new gems that have the magical charm of sound like them … they are able to sing and entertain the fans with a variety of genres of music ….. after they were few who could be born among the newcomers in world music such as Beyonce, Kelly clarksorn and like them … so here Mariah Carey is the best candidate because she is the best female singer of all time …. what’s more, she is skilled in every voice and vocal control based on the experience and expertise in singing in various genres of music. .. she is also the best performer … just look at the performance it was never embraced the answer why she is the best candidate and the candidate most suitable to be judges for the X Factor 2011 … remember how American Idol contestants in the year 2011 This is the best against AI players before this …. why the participants in this year’s AI is the best? … the answer is so simple because the jury itself among the singers and musicians …. just a singer who knows their needs and tastes ….. because it is the staple food for them …. and since they are the singer ….. it sounds, the right choice was Mariah Carey ….!!

Comment by cairol fyrdaus – May 8, 2011 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was guest speaker from Malaysia, who has taught vocal in egypt strongly agree with the comments of cairol fyrdaus ….. not to deny the feasibility of Paula Abdul as a judge but he was accustomed to look on television and she even had a judge for American Idol before there is no harm in this … we try new faces who are more experienced and better qualified to hold office ….. so, Mariah Carey is more qualified because she has the experience and success in the music industry, she is the author of this …. song, singer and entertainer … there is no harm in us trying to Mariah Carey as the jury for listening to us equally detailed advice and guidance from him later …. Cheryl Cole and Nicole Scherzinger is a new face in the world of music than Mariah Carey .. not to deny their ability, but that is the reality …. but their success is still more vague and ambiguous than the success of which is owned by Mariah Carey …. Cheryl Cole was also an X Factor judge and not before this .. There is nothing wrong if we choose a more qualified judges for this time ….. I’m sure fans of X Factor and the plan would not wait and are not fed as X Factor was transforming the face of this new, more sensational for the program this time … remember, 2011 was the popularity of X Factor should be more prominent and popular than American Idol this year which Amrican Idol this time around is so popular with the presence of new faces among the jury of professionals such as Jennifer Lopez, Steven Tyler and Randy Jackson ….. the more we should thinking with analytical and critical thinking ….. who is more George Michael is also a candidate that I feel less qualified to be judges because we already have a man like Simon Cowell judges and one that I forgot his name … if we put all three judges are men, feared what would happen is the players are all from the same flavor as they are men …. it should be highlighted as a woman … and a qualified jury, is Mariah Carey …..!!!

Comment by zuhayrie – May 8, 2011 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post