Pilot Scoop: CBS Snags Becki Newton

Further proof that NBC’s troubled anthology series Love Bites is DOA: Leading lady Becki Newton has found other work.

The Ugly Betty MVP has signed on to star in a CBS comedy pilot that revolves around a blue-collar man who lives under the same roof with his wife, their grown daughter (Newton) and her 12-year-old son, and his recently widowed mother.

The script is by Jeff and Jackie Filgo (That ’70s Show), while sitcom vet Andy Ackerman (Seinfeld) is on board to direct.

Newton’s Love Bites costar Greg Grunberg recently scored the lead in the A&E comedy Big Mike.

1. Michael says:

Love Bites the Dust.

Badum bum pshhh.

2. Joe B. says:

I think Love Bites going to series was just a story NBC made up to kill time and distract during pilot season.

3. Brock says:

Love Bites was one of my most anticipated shows… the trailer last year looked hilarious and I love Becki.

I like the sound of this premise, will obviously depend on the writing and casting… but I can see MONDAYS at 9 being free on CBS….. ;)

4. Dirk says:

The pilot sounds abysmal, but I do love Becki Newton. I don’t think they ever actually filmed enough scenes of Love Bites to form a full episodes — just enough scenes filmed to put together a pilot and mess with everybody’s minds. Kudos to you, NBC. You actually made me care.

5. John says:

I have a suspicion that the suits at NBC (the old suits at least) were never really cool with the “anthology show” idea (“what do you mean the story will focus on new people every week?!”) and were constantly trying to retool it into a more tradition romantic comedy (which explains Grunberg becoming a regular post-pilot). That fight, creative against network, probably led the show to get delayed over and over again, finally to the summer, where it will now die a sad, burn-off death, a shortened order of creatively disasterous episodes.

6. amber says:

so i dont get what its about?
    anyways, im THRILLED to hear her on a new pilot. Lets hope this gets picked up. I would have rather seen her in Love Bites but oh well.

7. Cheery says:

Omigod, I loooove this woman. She was seriously the best thing about Ugly Betty–no one was funnier than Amanda!

8. Sam says:

Seriously, what happened to ‘Love Bites’ it went from being one of fall’s most anticipated series to never seing the light of day. Ausiello could you please get behind this and atleast explain the story behind it.

9. Katie says:

So SO glad to see Becki in something new. I’ll definately be watching if she’s going to be a regular.