When TV Headlines Collide! Hugh Laurie 'Replaces' Charlie Sheen

You’ve heard about next week’s pivotal episode of House (Monday at 8/7c), in which Cuddy’s health crisis is couched by a series of dream/fantasy sequences — including a black-and-white retro TV take (watch video here) and a Butch Cassidy send-up.

But one segment that has gotten little play has Fox’s medical drama channeling a certain headline-making Monday-night comedy.

Lisa Edelstein on House‘s Uncertain Future: ‘Nobody Wants to See it Go Off the Air’

House executive producer Greg Yaitanes, who also directed Monday’s “Bombshells” episode, sums up the sequence as “basically Two and a Half Men, with House, Wilson and an 8-year-old Rachel Cuddy.”

And yes, you guessed right: You’ve got House, the rehabbed drug abuser, filling the Charlie Sheen role. Yaitanes, though, shrugs off the coincidence. “We shot this back in December,” he tells TVLine, “so it is interesting how events ended up playing out.”

“Maybe,” he posits, Sheen’s real-life situation “is our fault.”

House Scoop: Terriers‘ Donal Logue Checks In

With House taking on Charlie (Harper), you can also expect the doc to don the requisite bowling shirts, while Wilson is buttoned up in conservative plaid (a la Jon Cryer’s Alan). Says Lisa Edelstein of the sitcommy scenes, “The wardrobe is hilarious.”

1. Patty says:

A Cuddy centered episode focused on Huddy written by Hess and Freedman, directed by Yatanes and completely off beat. What could make for a worse House episode? Sounds like a one hour nightmare for fans of the show.

• ada says:

I’m pretty sure TPTB can do even worse and if this ends in wedding proposal then episode 20 (or the one with the wedding) will surely top this one in stupidity since at least this one is a dream sequence thing

• anastacia says:

Even if they do a proposal they would never go through with a wedding. TPTB aren’t this stupid. Could you imagine House and Cuddy of all these characters on the show getting married? What a laugh!! All those marriage spoils are just trying to rile up stupid huddy fan girls and make the people like us roll our eyes. its working.

• Jen says:

I think if they do Cuddy leaves him at the altar. That is what I would bank on. I agree they wouldn’t go through with it. It doesn’t fit the show. The marriage plans falling through fits it to a tee.

• Patty's mom says:

You’re a real disappointment Patty, you know that.

• Patty's mom's doctor says:

Come on, it’s time for your meds, idiocy induced by huddy is a serious condition, you know

• Yvette says:

I bet that is what they will do! They are having this episode occur the next day after he tells her that she makes him a bad doctor. She wasn’t happy about that. Then the next day before they can discuss it or anything she finds out she has a health issue. And in the end, if the proposal actually occurs, then it sounds like it happens at the end of this episode. After the scare where she would normally say no or think about it more, she ends up saying yes. And they make plans and whatnot, then when it comes time, Cuddy has been having doubts because she doesn’t want to do that to his gift and to other people’s lives, even though she loves him. So she leaves him standing at the altar. Just like Diane did with Sam. It all makes sense and I know there is no way they would really get House and Cuddy married because it wouldn’t work or go with the show, as you said. This is my theory for what really happens.

• echo says:

Yes! I thought it was weird that they specified the episode was the next day. Why do that unless it’s significant? It’s atypical. Cuddy is so jilting him. I thought it was strange that they’d actually get House and Cuddy married. There had to be a catch. And all they have to do to keep it a secret is to do what they did last season for the finale-film the scene where they don’t get married separately and no one will know, just like last season. Plus, they ended on an up note last year. They rarely do that. So something bad has to happen in the finale and dramatic. I bet that’s part of it. When finale time comes, we called it! ;)

• hannah rox says:

That’s a no brainer. No way is Doc Crankypants getting married. Can you imagine? They’re just toying with the huddy idiots of the fandom. And Diane did that to Frasier not to Sam. They decided mutually not to get married when they were writing Diane off because Shelley Long decided to leave. I wonder if they’re writing Cuddy off??? When Yotanes tweeted about the wedding he never said there would be a marriage. He said he promised a wedding. You are so right! aha! Imagine the huddies faces! I will LMAO @ them!!! This is just like the hallucination in BSN. Remember how ripped off the Huddies felt then? This is even better!!!s

• Skye says:

OMG, you are so RIGHT! I knew they weren’t that insane. House went out and got drunk that night and fell asleep in her lap. That seemed innocuous at the time, but I bet they did that too so they couldn’t seriously discuss his allegation that Cuddy made him a worse doctor and that he would always pick her. They put it in Cuddy’s lap right there to be the one to have to break it off. That’s why she has a health scare the next day right after she gets up. All this makes sense now. That’s why they stressed it’s the next day. Last week was the beginning of the end of Huddy.

• futility says:

Shore has said House can never be happy. He loves Cuddy and said he would always pick her and happiness. So somehow it must be taken away from him.
          House, M.D., this is your life over and over and over again, until you die or the series ends-

At the end of the rainbow there’s happiness,
          And to find it how often I’ve tried,
          But my life is a race, just a wild goose chase,
          And my dreams have all been denied.
          Why have I always been a failure?
          What can the reason be?
          I wonder if the world’s to blame,
          I wonder if it could be me.

I’m always chasing rainbows,
          Watching clouds drifting by,
          My dreams are just like all my schemes,
          Ending in the sky.
          Some fellows look and find the sunshine,
          I always look and find the rain.
          Some fellows make a winning sometime,
          I never even make a gain, believe me,
          I’m always chasing rainbows,
          I’m watching for a little bluebird in vain.

• Tania says:

Really? It sounds like a one-hour nightmare for EVERY fan of House? As an ACTUAL fan of the series, speak for yourself. What arrogance! People who think like you lack imagination. Why are you still watching, to complain? Mission accomplished!

2. raelee514 says:

This House ep sounds alot like SPN’s Changing Channels just without an arch angel reveal at the end.

3. ccs says:

This is going to be amazing!

4. Erin says:

I’m not sure I’m on board for this episode; sounds interesting, but then sounds a bit off the rail.

On a side note: that’s the photo of CS that was picked? He hasn’t looked like that in years! ;)

5. luke says:

you guys sure are pushing this house episode. in how many different articles do you have to mention it? how about some publicity for some other shows?

6. ErixN says:

Really looking forward to this episode. I picked up the show last fall (started with season 1 DVDs and caught up) and I think the show keeps getting better!

7. Tracy Murray says:

I have to admit I have not been really watching this season except for a few good clips and fan made videos on YouTube , I am planning to catch up on episodes of House on the Internet ( once I get a new computer ) , I am looking forward to Bombshells , either on Monday or when I get another chance to go online ( don’t like my shows being interrupted by ads ) , but I have to say I am not looking forward to the ” Two and a Half Men ” segment of the episode , as I am not a fan of the show and I am having Charlie Sheen Fatigue , though it would be interesting to see how that scene goes , I do wish Sara and Liz would have picked another sitcom as one of the dreams / hallucinations like maybe My Two
    Dads from the 80s .

8. Tania says:

Are many of you commenting on here from England? The common trait of whining, the overall pessimism. LOL

9. FmHvFv says:

Isn’t it time to start using “winning” era pictures of trainwreck Sheen?

10. bill says:

I hate house, and if he replaces Charlie Sheen I will never watch that show again.