Scoop! Community Pays Homage to Pulp Fiction

Get More: Exclusive, News, Scoop, Spoilers

Abed’s birthday is right around the corner, and the Community crew is celebrating it the only way they know howPulp Fiction-style!

Sources tell me that Community has another awesome episode in the can, and it revolves around the Greendale gang — namely Jeff (played by Joel McHale) — planning a surprise party for Abed (Danny Pudi). And what better way to mark the birthday of a pop culture fiend than with a little love for Pulp Fiction?

Community‘s Return to Warfare: Exclusive Details!

Of course, themed costumes are mandatory at the festivities, so we’ll see Shirley (Yvette Nicole Brown) in her Samuel L. Jackson finest and Britta (Gillian Jacobs) channeling Uma Thurman’s knockout. But the best part of it all might be that the cross-networks love letter between Community and ABC’s Cougar Town continues throughout the episode, in which our other favorite TV comedy figures largely into Abed’s dialogue.

I’m hearing that the NBC comedy’s homage to Tarantino is chock full of some very, very strange stuff — what, Big Kahuna Burgers? Foot massages? Adrenaline shots? — and could top Community‘s growing list of obscure, and thus brilliant, installments.

What are your thoughts on Community‘s latest genre-bending adventure? Anyone else hoping to see Ken Jeong as The Gimp? Hit the comments!

Comments (27)

• THIS!

Comment by rob – March 3, 2011 05:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This will be legendary. So looking forward to it.

Comment by Anders – March 3, 2011 06:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Most creative and consistently funny show on TV. Looking forward to this.

Comment by ItsJustDoug – March 3, 2011 06:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the ‘cross-network love letters’ between Cougar Town and Community. Two of my favorite underrated shows!

That being said, this sounds like a fantastic episode

Comment by Sara – March 3, 2011 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • mm,mm. This IS a tasty burger.

Comment by Kaibosh – March 3, 2011 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Could someone please tell me what is meant by “cross-network love letters” between Cougar Town and Community is referring to? I guess I never noticed anything. No surprise there though…I am one of those who just gets caught up in what I am watching and don’t notice meta references sometimes. I had no idea that there was a countdown on HIMYM in the episode where Marshall’s father dies.

Thanks in advance! Now I can start paying better attention.

Comment by Jodie – March 3, 2011 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It is referring to the fact that in two earlier episodes of Community. In one, Abed says that he watches Cougar Town (2.09) and in the other, he looks at the world like he is a robot and one of the tasks in the corner was to dvr/record Cougar Town (2.07).

Comment by Amelia – March 3, 2011 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ahh I completely missed those references myself! Probably because I can’t stand Cougar Town. I wonder if Dan is friends with CT’s showrunner or if there is some other connection there.

Comment by sashay – March 3, 2011 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Besides the fact its an hilarious and smart show?

Comment by Jaymii – March 3, 2011 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There was also an episode of CT where Travis’ girlfriend mentions all they did on their last date was watch a Community marathon

Comment by Yamas – March 3, 2011 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the executive producers of scrubs – neil goldman and garret donovan are now the executive producers of community. might explain the love for cougar town.

Comment by timelord – March 3, 2011 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • well anything community is a winner in my book

Comment by lonestarjrs – March 3, 2011 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Raksha – March 3, 2011 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish there were more shows that were even REMOTELY as good as Community. It is just beyond amazing!!! GO COMMUNITY!!

Comment by Raksha – March 3, 2011 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow! How did you double-post? One of the best things about this site is, it doesn’t usually let you do that. Drives me crazy about TWoP’s blogs – comments are usually double-posted or not posted at all.

Comment by sashay – March 3, 2011 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very excited for this.
    More love for Community here – perhaps the best comedy on television right now. Watch this show, people!

Comment by Bry – March 3, 2011 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whatever they do, I’m along for the ride. Their continued excellence has earned my trust.

Comment by Rich – March 3, 2011 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL, didn’t House just pay homage to Pulp Fiction two weeks ago? PF has been getting a lot of love, lately!

Comment by Volta – March 3, 2011 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community does Pulp Fiction? In a word: awesome. I can not wait for this episode. Fingers crossed Community returns in the Fall for a third season, it’s so under-rated and being up against The Big Bang Theory has not helped its cause. Especially for those of us who love both shows.

Comment by Scott – March 3, 2011 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • loving all the Community Love on Tvline!!!!!

Comment by Kathryn – March 3, 2011 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How in God’s name is Cougar Town a “favorite TV comedy” here? I see 2 things wrong with that statement.
    1) Comedy and 2) favorite

Comment by Max – March 3, 2011 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is my favorite show right now, but I feel like I’ve seen this done already on Gilmore Girls (Rory is invited to a Pulp Fiction themed party and must dress the part). I guess Community will puts it’s own spin on it. None the less I will be definetly tuning in…can’t wait to see how it turns out!
    TWITTER – @kristycnyc

Comment by Kristy – March 3, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was the AA blind spot, and I knind of guessed it right!!! Well my second guess hehe. So cannot wait!!!

Comment by Becca – March 3, 2011 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Two of my favorite things, Community and Pulp Fiction. Can’t WAIT for this. Although I believe there was ANOTHER show that had a, oh wait, that was Finn’s “Tarantino” themed party on Gilmore Girls. Anyway, CAN’T wait! I LOVE Community. Best show on TV.

Comment by Cynthia – March 6, 2011 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, this should be awesome. I hope it can outdo the action movie episode where Joel does his best Bruce Willis impression, because that one was pretty good too. It was my favorite so far. Also, I hope Joel takes his shirt off again. And maybe his pants too and be in the leopard print underwear again. “Troy and Abed in the moooorning!”

Comment by Amber – March 7, 2011 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is the name of the song that played during the dinner party?!! Thanks all.

Comment by Jake – March 24, 2011 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jeff and Britta’s pulp fiction dance made me so happy; Favourite ever tv relationship and favourite ever show.

Comment by K – July 6, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post