Ratings: Both Criminal Minds Shows Score Big

Crime paid 2-to-1 for CBS this Wednesday night, as both Criminal Minds and its offshoot scored across-the-board increases.

Even opposite a half-hour’s worth of American Idol, Criminal Minds: Original Tangy Flavor registered a 7 percent gain in audience (14.33 million total viewers) and a 13 percent surge in the demos (with a 3.6 rating).

With SVU running a repeat this week, Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior (10.32 mil/2.6) went on to enjoy its own bumps of 4 and 8 percent, respectively.

Elsewhere on Wednesday:

8/7c | American Idol‘s 90 minutes of girl power averaged 22.58 million total viewers and a 7.7 rating, on par with a week prior. Survivor was flat in the demos but saw a small uptick in audience (to 11.34 mil). While ABC’s sitcombo of The Middle and Better With You showed little movement, The CW’s Top Model (2 mil/0.9) dropped 11 and 18 percent, respectively.

9/8c | Versus Idol and a strong Criminal Minds, Modern Family held steady with 10.1 million viewers and a 4.1 rating. Mr. Sunshine matched its week-ago rating (2.4) and saw a tiny bump in audience (breaking 7 mil). And yes, Fox’s Traffic Light hit all kinds of “all-time” highs in its aprés-Idol slot. The CW’s Shedding for the Wedding shed 17 percent of its already measly premiere demo rating, hitting a (gulp) 0.5.

10/9c | ABC bubble show Off The Map — aka the farm team for NBC’s The Crossing pilot? — was flat in both viewers (just under 5 mil) and in the demo (1.7).

What was your Wednesday TV of choice?

1. Jak says:

Don’t care about CM:SB because I think it’s a bad show but I’m happy to see the bump for the original. Hopefully the love shown for a Prentiss-centric episode will show the producers that her character can still draw an audience (even opposit Idol).

I don’t know what Paget’s plans are for next year but if she does come back to CM I hope the producers welcome her with open arms and keep her for good.

• sashay says:

Me too!

• charley says:

I watched the new CM and I really don’t care for it. Something about is dark and creepy, and there is not the chemistry with the characters that you get with the original CM.

• gloria says:

Yea. dont see point of cm suspect behaviour. another CM – only differences are creepy creepy cast in scruffy clothes working out of scruffy office…

too bad about paget and cook leaving original CM – a much better show- can lose cm suspect behaviour – no loss

• silkrose says:

my guess is she is getting killed off next episode…just saying…

• rosemarie piserchia says:

without Prentiss on criminal minds.. there really is no show to be watched.
      she has to come back..
      the show lacked quality once jj left.. so we need emily.

2. Colleen says:

I know its not the critics darling like Cougar Town but where’s the Mr Sunshine mention? It had a rise from last week and is up for ABC from this time last hear.

3. Suncatcher says:

I have been a CM fan since the first show. I stopped watching when CBS and producer, Ed Bernero, dumped AJ Cook and threw Paget Brewster under the bus for next season.

Now I read CBS wants Paget back for next season and is trying to get her. Problem is, she may have already signed with a new pilot comedy for next season and is now unavailable for CM. Hey, talent like hers doesn’t sit on a shelf for long CBS, Ed… BTW, I hear Paget is fantastic at comedy. We wish you all the best, Paget!

• LDSK says:

She is fantastic at comedy. If you get a chance check out reruns of “Andy Richter Controls the Universe” and you will see for yourself. (not to mention watch any video of her being interviewed on a talkshow. YouTube has one of her on Conan from several years ago that is an absolute riot!)

I’m really conflicted right now. I really don’t want her to leave Criminal Minds but I would also love to see her in a comedy again. Just as long as she’s on my TV I guess I’ll be happy.

4. diana says:

Last night’s episode of Criminal Minds is killing everyone! There’s a lot of questions to be answered and I don’t think the next episode will be big enough to do so!
    Was that just a dream Emily had? That “Happy Birthday My Love” was directed to whom? How did the team knew that Emily had worked for the Interpol 7 years ago if when she came to the BAU she said she had been working on the FBI for 10 years?

5. diana says:

SEE? Lots of questions! Will we ever get the answers we want? Will Emily leave forever??

• Dav says:

I noticed the continuity error as well. When she first joined the BAU she told Hotch she had been working for the FBI for the last 10 years mostly in the midwest but last night they said she was working for Interpol 7 years ago. The timelines don’t match. I suppose it’s possible that she lied to Hotch to cover her work with interpol but then how would Hotch have known about it last night?

We are just going to have to face facts: The writers needed to shoehorn in this story so they could account for Emily leaving and therefor took some liberty with the backstory. I’m willing to overlook it only because I think it’s a good story…but personally I think the whole thing sucks because it means Paget is leaving the show.

6. Elizabeth says:

It’ll be interesting to see how “Suspect Behavior” (ironic title is ironic) fares with the return of “SVU” in three weeks…given that last night’s episode of the latter was a rerun, I wonder how that affected The Spin-Off of Doom’s numbers.

7. Gina says:

So mad that AJ Cook and Paget Brewester are gone from the show. Next week JJ comes back for one episode and then both of them are gone!! I refuse to watch the spin-off that show is probably the reason we lost Paget and AJ!!

• Casey says:

Why would the SPIN-OFF be the reason that the ORIGINAL show got rid of Paget and AJ? It’s not like they planned on leaving to be on the spin-off. So how does that make any sense? The spin-off has nothing to do with Paget and AJ leaving the original Criminal Minds. So refusing to watch it for that reason makes absolutely no sense.

• Dav says:

Casey, the reason that CBS gave for getting rid of AJ and Paget was money. They said the show was costing too much and they had to cut back. Many people blame the spin-off for stealing money from the budget.

Personally, I think if you are going to blame anyone for sucking up all the CBS money is should be that total lunatic Charlie Sheen and his Two Million an episode pay check. How’s that working out for you now CBS?!?!?

• Charley says:

Well, Charlie is gone, and they have stated how it is saving them all of this money. I know where they can spend it. Give us our team back permanently and make everyone happy.

• catbean says:

That’s exactly what I said last May when it was announced that all these women from CBS’s crime shows were getting kicked to the curb for money reasons but they had $1.8 million to give to Charlie Sheen for playing himself? (and I admit I watch his show) And now he won’t comeback for less than $3 million a show — goodbye, don’t let the door hit you on the way out!

• silkrose says:

Just as long as we don’t lose Penelope and Spencer…that would be the end of it for me.

• Scott says:

The spin off sucks.

Getting rid of Paget to pump that show would be stupid. They’ve now eliminated all of the sex appeal from the show for men. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Maybe Charlie Sheen is calling the shots…

8. Bob-O says:

Hey Matt! Just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate you guys covering Criminal Minds here (unlike most other entertainment websites.) And thanks for the picture of Paget!!!

9. Gee Gee says:

I will never watch the spin off mostly due to the socialist hag who makes me nauseated when I see the previews. Too bad for CBS and C Minds fans.

10. Charley says:

I don’t care for the new CM. I tried to give it a chance and it comes across as dark and creepy. The cast does not have the same connection as the original CM, and it really lacks, well everything.

11. Amiee says:

What a well done episode of Criminal Minds. The story, the direction, even the camera work. I loved the shots of Emily in the metro interspersed with the families in danger. It definately had a darker tone and Paget did a great job. You could really feel her ever increasing panic as the team got closer and closer to the truth and her growing sadness as she began to realize that she would have to run and leave all of her friends behind.

Such a shame that it’s all because Paget is leaving. :-(

12. Karen says:

it is bittersweet to watch a great show, which showcased strong women, fire their best women characters. the characters developed over time and had become an intregral part of the dynamic. now they have brought in a new character also a woman (no offense to her) but why??? it was a mistake by the producers and has cost them good will of the viewers, as well as many viewers. it has hurt their show in the long run. SHAME ON YOU!!

13. Daisy says:

I watched the pilot and thougth this show might be the same caliber as Criminal Minds but with the casting of Janeane Garofalo I will not watch this show ever again. I cannot support a television show that casts someone with such progressive political views and condemn a group that she knows nothing and throws the raciest and redneck cards. I can’t get passed her radical views and will not watch the show.

14. lee says:

I love the show, even the reruns