The Office: Will Michael and Holly Not Get Their Happily Ever After?

Get More: News, Spoilers

Well, this is a little unsettling. Amy Ryan says that Michael Scott’s soulmate, the lovable Holly Flax, isn’t even in Steve Carell’s final episode of The Office.

“I will say that I left the show before he did,” Ryan revealed to Access Hollywood when asked if the two will ride off into the sunset together — you know, like we were all hoping to see. “He’s actually filming his last episode right now. I [finished] a few weeks ago.”

What does this mean for Michael and Holly’s much-deserved happily ever after?

It’s highly unlikely that the absence means doom-and-gloom for the lovebirds. In fact, sources close to The Office tell us that Carell didn’t want a cookie-cutter happy ending for his character, which may explain why Holly if MIA from his final episode. But that’s not to say there won’t be some memorable moments between the two in his penultimate episode.

What else do we hope to see before Carell’s big-slash-sad send-off? For one, Toby (played by Paul Lieberstein) just has to come back to Dunder Mifflin for his nemesis’ last hurrah. And that would mean the Scranton Strangler case must have been solved and Holly is no longer needed as the branch’s temporary HR rep… right?

Thoughts on Holly missing Michael’s sad so long? Are you still hoping the two end up together? Hit the comments with your Flax reax!

Comments (18)

• If Michael and Holly don’t end up together, this show is garbage.

Comment by Office Fan – March 3, 2011 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree!

Comment by Suzanne – March 3, 2011 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was actually hoping Michael’s movie got picked up by Hollywood and he was heading there to see it produced. Maybe Holly had to tie up loose ends before she went, too.

Comment by Margie – March 4, 2011 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will be really mad if they are not together. Why even bring her back then? I do not think they are that cruel.

Comment by Em – March 3, 2011 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They’ll be together. My guess is he hangs back to sell his condo, and she goes back to Nashua.

I’m actually glad their relationship won’t be the center of his last episodes. I love them together, but we should celebrate just Michael.

Comment by Josh – March 3, 2011 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think they’ll be together — just because she’s not in Scranton anymore doesn’t mean her and Michael head off somewhere else. She could’ve been offered a job somewhere, and he decides to go join her?!?

And the show’s success isnt predicated on whether or not Michael or Holly end up together.

Comment by Landun – March 3, 2011 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They’re not soulmates, they’re soupsnakes goddddddddddddd. Also I’d be really disappointed if we didn’t have some huge Michael and Toby explosion in the finale.

Comment by Matt – March 3, 2011 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Michael and Holly will end up together. She’ll probably just go back home early because of Toby’s return and then Michael will follow her. Toby definitely has to be there on Michael’s last day.

Comment by Carrie – March 3, 2011 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Leaving the show before he did” isn’t necessarily synonymous with “not being in the episode.” Maybe they shot a single scene with Holly for a later episode while Amy Ryan was still on the set, rather than make her come back another time to just do one scene. Maybe she’ll be a voice at the other end of the phone. There are a dozen different possibilities other than “they don’t wind up together.”

Comment by Jaded Devil – March 3, 2011 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They don’t always film the episodes in order, this could be a mislead.

Comment by Truthiness – March 3, 2011 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • if these two don’t end the show together i will go bonkers. i have been waiting for this for 2 years?! if he leaves and they are not together i’m gonna have a melt down!

Comment by amy – March 3, 2011 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why would they spend so much time on this arc and bring back Amy Ryan just to break them up? Nobody knows anything… not even gossip columnests. There was a pretty heart warming Michael\Holly promo last night on. Nbc… they aren’t that crewl.

Comment by jill – March 4, 2011 05:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • she could leave first, and he follows her. Just because she’s not in the last episode dosn’t mean their not still together.

Comment by max – March 4, 2011 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally I could see them ending up together, but truthfully I’m glad she’s headed off first, because I want the Michael Scott sendoff to be more about closure for the series-long relationships (Dwight, Jim, especially Pam). Also, Michael and Toby not having some sort of final showdown (or awkwardly missed one) would be more heartbreaking than anything feared above.

Comment by John – March 4, 2011 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe Michael gets offed by the Scranton Strangler….?

Comment by Jason – March 5, 2011 04:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m probably completely alone in this thought, but I never found Holly to be lovable. Their entire relationship from the very beginning has felt very awkward to me, and not awkward in that way that The Office has of making awkward moments super funny, but just plain awkward! I always thought that The Office did its best writing when things didn’t work out for the characters, and having a happily ever ending for Michael Scott would completely ruin the entire series for me. I’m cool with Jim and Pam being together, but they are really pushing it by giving Michael the girl of his dreams. It’s too much. But I do really welcome the return of Toby, if only because it means I don’t have to look at Holly’s face ever again.

Comment by Amber – March 7, 2011 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amber- I totally agree with you, I cannot stand Holly!!! And any time I bring this up it seems like everyone disagrees with me. I just think she is extremely obnoxious and any scene with her and Michael becomes a chore for me to watch as they are so juvenile. I much prefered seeing Michael being abused by Jan.

Comment by NlC – March 23, 2011 10:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This means that she will be the reason why Michael left the office.

Comment by Teresa – March 10, 2011 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post