Harmon Cops Role In TV-Movie/Possible Series

Get More: Casting News, News

TV will be getting a little — and maybe a lot — more of America’s Favorite Television Personality, now that USA Network has greenlit an original movie starring Mark Harmon and based on a series of best-selling crime novels.

The NCIS star will play Minneapolis Deputy Police Chief Lucas Davenport in Certain Prey, a two-hour USA original based on one in a series of page-turners by John Sandford.

In this particular story, Davenport is on the trail of a hitwoman while he himself is in the crosshairs of a killer. Production will start in May.

CBS Renews NCIS For Ninth Season as Mark Harmon Inks New Deal

If Certain Prey is a hit — and given that USA has rights to all 20 of the novels in this Sandford series — Harmon could find himself fronting a TV-movie franchise à la Tom Selleck’s Jesse Stone (which airs its seventh installment on May 22).

Do I have any fellow Sandford/Prey fans out there? Are you liking the casting of Harmon as Davenport? And would you love to see this one-off TV-movie turn into a franchise for USA?

Comments (180)

• Truly disappointed! This was a terrific chance to hire an actor who wasn’t so damn white.

Comment by Lisa – September 17, 2012 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a huge Sandford fan and love the Lucas Davenport character. I cannot imagine Harmon doing the role justice. He doesn’t fit the look or the age range. I like Harmon, but not in this role. I was, frankly, so mad when I heard they’d lined him up to play Lucas. Pretty much how I felt when I heard Tom Cruise was going to portray Jack Reacher. Who’s casting these shows? I too, thought, Lucas deserved the big screen.

Comment by Brenda Ambrize – October 2, 2012 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmmm. I love the Lucas Davenport series, and have the characters envisioned in my head. I like Mark Harmon, but Ted Bundy as Lucas??? It may work, and work well monetarily for all involved, but I’ll take a pass. And let’s face it, Weather would kick Mark Harmon’s ass (which makes me think that he could play the villain in Storm Prey). Fits well with the Bundy thing too.

Comment by Michael Elek – October 10, 2012 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutley proceed with a series of this writer..very compelling plots.

Comment by Bill Mill – October 26, 2012 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I did see the television movie Certain Prey with Mark Harmon playing police chief Lucas Davenport; The movie was excellant. I wish that I could buy that production on a Blu-ray Disc. Certainly, I look forward to more of the Sanford series with Mark Harmon as chief Davenport. I have not read any of the Prey books so no preconceptions about Davenport. The young hit woman will return.

Comment by Chris – November 9, 2012 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ted Danson would have made a perfect Davenport. I hope they make Mortal Prey into a movie. I was kind of pulling for Clara to get away.

Comment by steve buckman – February 1, 2013 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As always you have delivered by having a number of really
    intriguing items and I’ve already incorporated this particular webpage to at least one I will pay attention to ! ? !

Comment by website creation – February 8, 2013 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mark Harmon is great but a miscast for Lucas Davenport. I think Jim Caviezel (Person of Interest) would be PERFECT!!! He’s got those eyes that I’ve pictured when read the “Prey” series.

Comment by Mulligan – April 19, 2013 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m from Minnesota and do like the Prey series. I was at a book signing when John Sandford said he thought Pat Riley would be a very good choice to play Lucas. I didn’t picture that but also didn’t picture any of the others mentioned above. Currently John Sandford is my favorite author. I’ve read most of the Prey series and the Kidd series twice. Now, I’m reading the Virgil Flowers books as well. He’s the only author for which I buy the books when they come out in hard cover. I hope he keeps writing but says he’s going to retire soon.

Comment by Stan – July 4, 2013 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post