Harmon Cops Role In TV-Movie/Possible Series

Get More: Casting News, News

TV will be getting a little — and maybe a lot — more of America’s Favorite Television Personality, now that USA Network has greenlit an original movie starring Mark Harmon and based on a series of best-selling crime novels.

The NCIS star will play Minneapolis Deputy Police Chief Lucas Davenport in Certain Prey, a two-hour USA original based on one in a series of page-turners by John Sandford.

In this particular story, Davenport is on the trail of a hitwoman while he himself is in the crosshairs of a killer. Production will start in May.

CBS Renews NCIS For Ninth Season as Mark Harmon Inks New Deal

If Certain Prey is a hit — and given that USA has rights to all 20 of the novels in this Sandford series — Harmon could find himself fronting a TV-movie franchise à la Tom Selleck’s Jesse Stone (which airs its seventh installment on May 22).

Do I have any fellow Sandford/Prey fans out there? Are you liking the casting of Harmon as Davenport? And would you love to see this one-off TV-movie turn into a franchise for USA?

Comments (180)

• mark harmon is a rare type of actor. He is outstanding as leroy jethrow gibbs in NCIS and will most likely be outstanding in Certain Prey. I am looking foreward to it.

Comment by mike – October 10, 2011 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • y this rold. I have read ALL the PREY novels. NO ONE better to play this role. I LOVE Lucas Davenport and LOVE Mark Harmon. Great pareing these two. I like the posts I have read, watch NCIS reruns every day on tv and we have bought all the DVD’s.

If someone had just had enough sense tp choose Sandra Bullock for the Stefanie Plum books, as you did this with Mark Harmon, ALL WOULD BE WELL!!

Comment by Chyrl Gibson – October 10, 2011 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Mark Harmon on NCIS. Can’t wait to see the movie.

Comment by Cheryl – October 11, 2011 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My husband is a big fan of the Prey books and he is so excited that MH was chosen as the detective. Hoping it becomes a series!!!

Comment by Cburns – October 11, 2011 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mark Harmon is god but he does not fit for Lucas Davenport. I love NCIS but this ain’t it. Harmon needs to stick with that. USA is gonna screw this up.

Comment by Brad – October 11, 2011 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mark Harmon is awesome. I will watch anything that he in. I hope the new Sanford stuff won’t take him away from NCIS. It wouldn’t be the same without him. I hated it when he ran off to Mexico for the few episodes that were minus his amazing charisma!

Comment by Jill – October 12, 2011 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AHH no,no, no, no, no! I’m a huge fan of Mark Harmon, NCIS and have read 19 of the 20 Prey novels. Lucas Davenport was in his mid 30′s in Certain Prey. To John Sanford’s credit his character is aging and growing from book to book. Mark Harmon is 60. Michael Weatherly would have been a better choice and he’s probably not hard enough for the role. Whomever did the casting could not have read the book.

Comment by Randy – October 12, 2011 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Based on the description at the beginning of the novels, I always pictured Davenport looking like Rupert Everett but I doubt he could pull off the macho or the accent. Ideally, Josh Brolin would fit the part. The description of Weather made me think that Anne Heche would be perfect. She fits the books physical description to a tee, is intelligent enough and a good enough actess to pull off being a semi hard nosed plastic surgeon. No real fix on who should play Clara Rinker. Why are they airing an adaptation of the books in the middle of the series first?

Comment by Randy – October 13, 2011 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great casting. Read all the books

Comment by Ruth – October 13, 2011 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have read all of John Sandford’s novels, twice. I like Mark Harmon, but I like Lucas Davenport even better. I will have to see if Mark Harmon is properly cast as Lucas Davenport. He is, after all, supposed to be an actor, but the character of Leroy Jethro Gibbs is far different that that of Lucas Davenport. The Davenport persona is what makes Sandford’s “Prey” series so successful. It remains to be seen whether Harmon is up to it.

Comment by Emiliano Quindiagan – October 13, 2011 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Before this movie deals had been signed or cast, I had read the books up to the 20th book envisioning Mark playing the character of Lucas Davenport. I would tell you who I envision as Virgil Flowers too. I see a slightly younger Sam Elliot as Del. Then when it was announced it was like someone was actually listening to my fantasies but, the release date of the movie……….God love this production company….is my Birthday. Go me!

Comment by Brenda – October 15, 2011 10:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously?? Mark Harmon? Playing Lucas Davenport? What a shame and a waste of an excellent character. He is supposed to be a BIG, dark complected guy with a hockey player’s build! Other than him playing a cop on TV, what about Mark Harmon fits this character profile? Good choice guys, maybe if Harmon doesn’t work out you can use Steve Martin.

Comment by Nick – October 16, 2011 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Harmonious will make a much better Davenport than Lasalle did. Much truer to the character in the book

Comment by brenda morris – October 17, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mark Harmon is dreamy!!!

Comment by Nancy – October 17, 2011 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds good but I’ll wait until it comes to my library on DVD. The commercials on USA are horrific. They’ll make a 90 minute movie at least 120 minutes, probably more.

Comment by donald – October 18, 2011 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just jumped out of my seat when I heard they were making this movie! Mark Harmon may be a little small to “be” Lucas Davenport he is the best silver fox out there and will do him justice!

Comment by Krazy G – October 18, 2011 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Worst casting ever! Well, not ever. Eric La Salle as Lucas in Mind Prey was as mind-boggling. I like Mark Harmon, but he’s no Lucas Davenport. Don’t know if I can watch.

Comment by Carolyn – October 18, 2011 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mark will make a great Lucas. What I want to know is who will be playing Del? Big fan of Sanford.

Comment by Michael A. – October 19, 2011 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Mark Harmon and Sanford’s Prey series, now this gives me a reason to read the books again, hope they do turn into a movie franchise! Can never get enough of Mark.

Comment by Kim – October 20, 2011 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never thought Lucas was that young? Plus, I thought he had Indian features. Therefore I always imagine jimmy smits.

Comment by scoobblack – October 20, 2011 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wowzer Mark Harmon as Lucas Davenport, I can hardly wait!!!!!!!! I love Mark Harmon and what a face to put on Lucas Davenport!!!!!!!!! USA has hit a goldmine!!

Comment by Nidama – October 20, 2011 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Mark Harmon and never miss NCIS. Having said that, Mark Harmon is NOT Lucas Davenport!

Comment by Pat – October 23, 2011 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mark Harmon has given so much of us something to enjoy with his role in NCIS. He has always shown people that the crowd from hollywood are not the same! He has such a good reputation and we can be proud of any show that he will be in. My wife and myself think he is the best! thanks Mark ps i met him many years ago when he was an owner of a minor leauge baseball club,,,he is great Jeff Burnham

Comment by Jeffrey Burnham – October 23, 2011 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was so thrilled to hear about Certain Prey being made into a movie. Hopefully they’ll do all the novels. Sanford has quickly become my absolute favorite author.

I don’t watch NCIS (rarely watch TV at all), so I don’t have a strong opinion about whether Harmon can do the role justice. But I will tell you who I always pictured as Lucas Davenport: Richard Ferrone. Who, you say? He is the narrator for the Prey series audiobooks, and a great actor in his own right, and he really brings all the characters to life. He IS Lucas as far as I’m concerned. Can’t wait to see who they cast as Rinker. And Del, Weather, and all the others.

And I agree with a previous poster who thought Owen Wilson would make a great Virgil Flowers. He’s someone I pictured when I read those books.

I’m sure Harmon can pull it off. As for Tom Cruise playing Lee Child’s Jack Reacher…I don’t even want to think about it.

Comment by Don G. – October 23, 2011 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hear, hear! No way can Tom play Jack Reacher who is described as 6 foot five and weighing in at 250 pounds. Get a pro wrestler to play Reacher. If Tom needs the work get him on the Gideon’s Sword movie to play Gideon Crew though Shia Labouf would be a better choice.

Comment by Michael – October 25, 2011 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How about Cote de Pablo for Clara Rinker?

Comment by Michael – October 25, 2011 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love watching Mark Harmon. Watch reruns of NCIS all the time. If this movie has him in it, it’s gotta be a good one.

Comment by Christina – October 23, 2011 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Mark Harmon is an excellent choice for Lucas Davenport. P.s. I’ve read all the Davenport books and might spring for cable to see all the movies.

Comment by Michael – October 25, 2011 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have read all of these books and love Mark Harmon in NCIS what a great combination CAN’T WAIT!!!

Comment by Denna – October 27, 2011 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hard to lose Gibbs, but look forward to the new show.

Comment by Gene Wells – October 29, 2011 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Perfect mark harmon in another show. Awsome!!!!! love mark on ncis! he will be perfect! but dont take him off ncis he makes the show.

Comment by shelley garvais – October 30, 2011 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a huge John Sandford fan and love all of his “Prey series”. When I first saw the commercial today that “Certain Prey” will be a movie on USA starring Mark Harmon as Lucas Davenport, I couldn’t see his face as the character I have read so many books about. I guess I have a different picture of what Lucas should look like. Nonetheless, I will be watching this movie Sunday night (in between my STEELERS game). And, if more of the Prey books were to become movies, that would be totally awesome.

Comment by Deana – November 1, 2011 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that Harmon is the safe TV personality to get an audience but I think they should have started at the beginning with Rules of Prey and someone like David Boreanaz should have played him. then again, I was always surprised no one pushed for a feature movie based on the prey novels.

Comment by Ed – November 1, 2011 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe that no one ( I didn’t read EVERY comment) has come up wih Christian Bale as the perfect Lucas Davenport—tall, thin, wiry, thin nose, brooding. He’s the perfect Lucas—-unless we can get in a time machine and go back 20-30 years, in which case Clint Eastwood would have been perfect. Again, long and lean. I think Mark Harmon is a bit too pretty for the rugged Lucas Davenport, but I will surely watch the movie and enjoy it.
    Now, if we can just get Stuart Woods to sell the rights to the Stone Barrington series…………

Comment by Duffy – November 2, 2011 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love mark harmon as Lucas davenport!

Comment by Renèe – November 3, 2011 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait to watch the movie this Sunday. I have four more of the 21 books in the Prey series to read, and will miss my nightly dose of Lucas Davenport when I finish the series. TV movie series? Wonderful. Bring it on.

Comment by Jane S. – November 3, 2011 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve read all the Sandford books including the “non-Davenport” ones and am an avid watcher of “NCIS”, so I’m looking forward to the movie. I just hope Jethro Gibbs doesn’t show up and try to be Lucas Davenport.

Comment by Michael V – November 3, 2011 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree that he is the perfect choice and I have also read all of the Davenport books! A bad choice has been made on the person to play

Jack Reacher in the Louis Child books…such an amazing choice-Tom Cruise. If you have read the Jack Reacher books you know that he is
    6’6″ and tough…why did they choose Tom Cruise?

Comment by Carol – November 4, 2011 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • … back in the day, Mark Harmon soured me with his betrayal of Ted Bundy… didn’t see him as much more then a pretty boy cameo… but his performance as Gibbs on J.A.G. spun me 540 degrees, and when N.C.I.S. hit the box… Nobody and I mean nobody, not Ford, not Selleck, not LaSalle, nobody does; “I’d shoot you through the heart and you’d never now it happened/and the rest of the world stands by wondering what the hell” any better.

Comment by paul joseph – November 5, 2011 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have read all of the novels, and I love the character of Lucas Davenport. I love Mark Harmon, but Lucas Davenport in the book does not physically match Harmon’s body type. I think Mark Harmon is a great actor, and I don’t have an actor in mind who is more appropriate, so I guess I will wait and see his portrayal before I make up my mind.

Comment by candic – November 6, 2011 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Having just watched CERTAIN PREY, I found Mark Harmon as Lucas Davenport about as believable as Tom Cruise is going to be as Jack Reacher. TERRIBLE choice.

This casting was a crime against the novels. Though I would love to see some PREY movies, should this become a series with Harmon as Davenport, my husband and I will not be watching.

Comment by Jan – November 7, 2011 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Mark Harmon as Lucas….better then when they did Mind Pray… that was just wrong!! Sorry… Now bring on the rest of the Pray stories!!!

Comment by Kerri – November 7, 2011 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • read only one Sandford Prey novel prior to finding out that “certain prey” was being made into a movie am now playing catch up reading “Mortal Prey” because Clara is in it, but will start reading
    them in publication order after that. Love Mark Harmon in the role althought a big fan of his I had my doubts about his playing Lucas Davenport, but just like Morgan Freeman playing Alex Cross when the Patterson novels were made into movies he fit the role and I no longer have to use my imagination when reading…….Hope there
    are more to came

Comment by marianne – November 8, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please people – Mark Harmon as Lucas Davenport proved that you can be an adequate actor and still murder a character or in this case a whole series. Too bad.

Comment by Gail – November 9, 2011 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have read every single Prey series book written by John Sandford. Let’s see one including another male feature character, namely, Virgil Flowers. Whereas I watch and re-watch and re-watch NCIS and think Mark Harmon is great as Gibbs, I do not think he measured up to my mental image conjured from Sandford’s detailed descriptions of Lucas Davenport. Most prominently, Minneapolis is home to a large population of Scandinavians. I married a Swede myself; they are thick-necked, large headed, big boned, heavy striding and often imposing physiques. Harmon clearly is not. Also, Davenport’s most prominent feature is a facial scar and “scary” smile that intrigues the many women he attracts. Mark Harmon has been and currently still is “Gibbs” which also makes it hard for me to accept him as anyone else at this time.

Supporting case also missed the mark. The primary antagonist, Clare Rinker, was a complete unknown (at least to me) with such a mousy demeaner that just didn’t work. She needs to be smooth, a lot more chic and chameleon-like instead of presenting with such an obviously bad wig as a disguise. She is supposed to be sleek, glamorously devilish, and even a bit of a sympathetic villain. For the other antagonist, utilizing another character from such a well known, long played part of “Elle” from Criminal Minds, also didn’t work for me. She was not believable as a high powered lawyer. There have been many lawyer shows over the years who have portrayed a much more sinister psychopath perhaps with a sneer to match Davenports’ and a lot more elegant.

Thanks for giving me a place to voice my opinion about this because it has been bothering me mostly because I would like to see many more of Sandford’s Prey books done into movies. I even think they might be adapted into a TV drama series.

My retired friend and I have often talked about what great movies or shows could be adapted from the Stuart Woods “Stone Barrington” mystery book series. With the appearance of Michael Connelly and other authors on the Castle show, it really opens up the possibility of bringing more fiction to life on the small screen or even to Hollywood’s big screen. Maybe then more attention would be paid to more accurate casting. I did, however, feel the screen play fairly adequately converted the essence of the storyline, however, the nuances of the written word were not quite brought to life accurately, again, by the ‘mis-chosen’ cast. I hope someone keeps trying–I’ll keep watching, and am rooting for better!!

Comment by delta paris – November 13, 2011 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree
    Watched “Certain Prey” and think Mark Harmon is perfectly cast! Bring on more!

Comment by Jane D. – November 19, 2011 11:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I PICTURE DAVENPORT AS A BIG MAN WITH A LOT OF HAIR and TOUGH W/A LOT OF CHARACTER IN THE FACE !!! NOT Mark….. I’m sure he could handle the role but the casting could be better–like “Stone”.

Comment by Jody Garrett – November 21, 2011 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am confused as to what is going with the new show Certain Prey. When does ir come on?

Comment by John – November 29, 2011 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a MPLS police officer and love the Prey series by Sanford…. absolutely fantastic novels and it is time for the series to come out with the right lead as Lucas Davenport. My vote is actually for Tom Selleck who as a veteran actor I believe would absolutely sinch the role and make the series a great success!!! Cannot wait!!! Just finish the latest book, Buried Prey and it is awesome… explaining some of Davenports history as a new cop… great job John!

Sincerly,

Ken Tidgwell

Comment by Ken Tidgwell – December 1, 2011 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mark Harmon can play anything and be great at it, never read the books, but loved the movie, watched it 2 times already, sure hope they make it a series, but do not want to lose him on NCIS. If not, then yes yes yes, make it a series with Mark Harmon Please. I will sure watch it and probably record it.

Comment by Anna Rhoades – December 3, 2011 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just watched the movie never read the book now I defently will. Love Mark Harmon

Comment by crystal – December 22, 2011 02:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked the movie, but I’be always pictured William Peterson as Lucas. He just seems to capture the whole essence of the character.

Comment by birdman – June 9, 2012 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post