CSI Exclusive: Nate Haskell Returns For Killer Season-Ending Arc

Not unlike a persistent pimple, serial killer Nate Haskell is popping back into CSI during May Sweeps for — presumably — one final showdown with his longtime archenemy Langston (Laurence Fishburne).

A show rep confirms to TVLine exclusively that Bill Irwin will reprise his role as the murdering menace for two episodes. Look for Haskell, who escaped from prison at the end of the Feb. 17 episode after switching ID bands with a minimum-security prisoner, to resurface in a very surprising way.

“Breaking out of jail was only the beginning,” teases exec producer Carol Mendelsohn. “As Haskell warned, he’s always five steps ahead of our CSIs, until he’s not…”

Thoughts? Do you share my hunch that this will probably mark the final chapter in the Langston/Haskell war? And being that it’s May Sweeps we’re talking about, do you think the erstwhile Dick & Jane Killer will add a high-profile victim to his body count? Hit the comments!

Comments (37)

• What happened to the bendy man who hid in the back of cars?! When is he coming back!?

Comment by Lucy – March 3, 2011 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I”ve been wondering the same thing. I thought he’d be the season long CSI nemisis not nate Haskell.

Comment by Angie – March 3, 2011 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I had serious nightmares because of that bendy black rubber guy. Creepy, dang good villain, that one.

Comment by Tin – March 3, 2011 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t expect him back. He’s actually a character owned by the guy who wrote the episode. The CSI people are fans of the series and got the author to write a “crossover” episode as a one-shot.

Comment by Rock Golf – March 3, 2011 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • More info: The character of Sqweegel originated in the novel Level 26: Dark Origins (2009) by Anthony E. Zuiker with Duane Swierczynski, and had been played by Daniel Browning Smith in its “cyberbridge” companion videos. The episode’s broadcast date coincides with the release date of its sequel Level 26: Dark Prophecy (2010).

Since Zuiker is a CSI producer, he could be back, depending on how the novels do.

Comment by Rock Golf – March 3, 2011 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • god. I remember that. He was really creepy. Sorry I do not know when.

Comment by Jawsome88 – March 4, 2011 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am scared to death of the bendy guy in the black suit…still. It was the creepest episode i have ever seen on CSI. i will forever be scared of that guy.

Comment by Tatortot – March 6, 2011 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With all due respect to Mr. Fishburne, I hope Haskell kills Langston. Please, PLEASE convince Petersen to come back. This show is only a shadow of its former self without Grissom! It used to be Must-See-TV and now it’s Will-Watch-Reruns-When-I’m-Bored-TV. I beg the producers to put us out of our collective misery. Thank you.

Comment by Chatty – March 3, 2011 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Regardless of how big a fan I am of Bill Irwin, it’s really time to wrap this story up. Here’s hoping.

Comment by Jon88 – March 3, 2011 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think that’s the whole idea…

Comment by Robin – March 3, 2011 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Unless it’s another cliffhanger. Worse, a season-ending cliffhanger.

Comment by Jon Delfin – March 3, 2011 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope that story ends. It’s dragged on too long. Sqweegle was much better. It was the best storyline since the miniture killer.

Comment by Amy – March 3, 2011 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i thought they were going to continue the Sqweegel storyline…it left with a kind of cliffhanger…and is Nate Haskell the Dick and Jane killer?

Comment by Emma Weidenhamer – April 7, 2011 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I believe we will be seeing Dr. Ray’s ex-wife again. Her and her new husband might be the perfect targets for the resident serial killer

Comment by Gibbs – March 3, 2011 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think I read somewhere that Squeegel may be back before the season’s over. I hope so, he was creepy and interesting. I liked Haskell at first, but now he’s like an overplayed song.

I’m not sure how the Haskell/Langston thing will end, it depends on whether or not Fishburne wants to continue to be on CSI. I do think Ray’s ex wife will be involved in some way. I think Haskell will probably target her.

As for Billy Petersen returning, he doesn’t want to return full time. As much as I miss Grissom, I respect Billy’s wishes.

Comment by Elle – March 3, 2011 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First fully agree with the view expresed by Chatty. Second, season finale again with Langston-Haskell?. BORED. Haskell’s character was interesting to close the arc output Grissom and input Langston. His constant appearance less atractive. When producers will understand that many of the fans of the series do not care Langston. Please, please billy petersen returns.

Comment by Graciela – March 3, 2011 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry…but I didn’t like the GSR crap they did and don’t really miss that part of the show. I did like Grissom – pre-GSR and miss the chemistry of the team with Gris and Warrick. It just goes to show that the shows have basically run their course and are mostly formula shows interchangable between Vegas, Miami and NY. That said, I like Fishburne and his Langston character and thought after the breaking in eps that the series became watchable again.

I also stopped watching house before the Huddy thing happened. I don’t like the soap opera crap they interject for these rabid shipper fans. I guess it boosts the ratings temporarily, but it ruins the show for the rest of us.

Comment by tekkie – March 3, 2011 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I so hope that the dick and Jane killer takes out Ray. Do not like him on CSI he was introduced poorly and the character was never developed to be likable. Let Fox and Eads give the show a run as leads, It will be a better show for it!

Comment by holly – March 3, 2011 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so sick of the Haskell storyline. They have carried it out over three seasons now and it is boring now. I also hope he kills Ray and then kills himself. I have never really liked Ray and the writers have made a mistake making Haskell only involved with Ray’s character. I rather see the rest of the cast than him all the time.

Give Greg, Nick, and Sara more focus. They’ve been on the show since the start!

Comment by Sand – March 3, 2011 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Actually, I don´t care about him.

Comment by Teresa – March 3, 2011 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Although I think it’s great to have Bill Irwin back and tosee what Haskell’s been up to, I do NOT like that these last remaining epsides will be all about Langston. I don’t care about him, he’s the least interesting character and yet he gets all the good stories.
    Don’t know if the CSI writers are aware of this, but Greg, Nick, Catherine etc are a LOT more popular, and have been a part of the show since the beginning. Ray’s a newbie, nobody likes the newbie to get all the stories.

Comment by Dominique – March 3, 2011 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The only way this will be right is if Sqweegel shows up and kills Haskell once and for-all.

I blame the writers, particularly Mendelssohn, most of all. She’s picked her favorites (GSR, Langston, Haskell) and she writes for them to the exclusion of the others. She’s the show-runner so her picks rule CSI which is a horrible shame and she’s completely messed up the potential Fishburne could have had by creating this huge confusion between him passing out all the wisdom to the other CSIs when he’s the newby. That’s only served to inflame the other actors’ fans against Langston.

Mendelssohn should go.

Comment by ginnee – March 4, 2011 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There would be no CSI without Mendelssohn.

Comment by kay – March 6, 2011 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There would be no CSI without Mendelssohn.

Comment by katie – March 6, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well said… “Not unlike a persistent pimple.” Haskell is the Lady Heather equivalent of CSI 2.0 in terms of contrived character. Let’s hope this will be his final appearance.

Comment by Danie – March 3, 2011 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am tired of Haskell too. If William Peterson wanted to come back, he would come back. He is not coming back.

Comment by Carm – March 3, 2011 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CSI needs to return to it’s roots, where we all fell in love with it. These impossibly intelligent crooks are getting old.

Comment by Ross – March 4, 2011 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the show then, I love it now. Whomever is cast, I’m a fan…always will be. So listen up drones…Grissom’s character isn’t returning. So enjoy the show, quit ‘itching, and accept change…not the Obama baby mama drama kinda change…if not, don’t watch the program. This is America, and you have a right to turn the t.v. station, and to remain silent. Please do. So shut already!!

Comment by Cicero – March 4, 2011 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One can only hope that it’s Langston’s swan song.

Comment by leigh – March 6, 2011 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is “GSR”? Besides Gun Shot Residue?

Comment by E – March 7, 2011 01:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Grissom-Sarah-Romance

Comment by Gina – March 13, 2011 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you answered your own question, Do you know what gun shot residue is? If you don’t it’s the burnt powder that goes backwards after bullet explodes. happens with every firearm

Comment by Phil – April 1, 2011 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • GSR IS GRISSOM SARA RELAIONSHIP

Comment by shie – April 28, 2011 11:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to agree that haskel is getting a bit much. For one thing a lunatic criminal such as he is supposed to be would never have escaped. The intense watch and chains any high-profile such as he is subjected to makes it impossible. He would have had a dozen guards on him at all times and for a csi to tell the guards of one such as haskel to leave the room so he can have a head-to-head and personal is ridiculous. My opinion of this haskel saga is it has become silly when he is supposed to be such a high-profile insane criminal. Get it over with. As far as langston, get rid of him to. They should have closed with Grissom leaving maybe killed Sarah, Grissom goes after killer, kills him and disappears

Comment by Phil – March 22, 2011 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now we know–someone here predicted we would see Haskel return–and this story is so past being stale, it won’t create much of a stir. WHO cares–about Haskell or Langston? Maybe Squeegel will take both out. Last year the powers that be tried to keep discussion going all summer with Haskell-Langston, and it didn’t work. So why do it again?
    The ensemble group Petersen put together could carry this show, but Mendelsohn had to have a big star with Fishburne. He’s just about destroyed the best of the CSI group, so its time to more his character out, wrap the series and use season 12 to give everyone a life after the lab. Let Catherine run her dad’s casino, Nick find a girlfriend, Brass retire, Sara joins Grissom hunting bugs, and make Greg the new supervisor!

Comment by mamamimi – March 25, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not all of the old lot have run their course…Brass is amazing, effortlessly funny – i’d really miss him if he went. catherine willows is due to leave soon i think she’s going to be killed but i hope not. and Nick is amazing i don’t want to think of csi without him. i agree that raymond langston is boring and his characters introduction was contrived to the point that the only way to keep him interesting is to bring out haskell who has done at least three too many episodes now. Every time is ee him i think its that dude out of heroes – the cheerleaders dad… but i convince myself it isn’t him

Comment by dan – April 21, 2011 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man!!! They left us hangin! That want the season finale was it???

Comment by Jess – May 5, 2011 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post