The Cape's Crusade Will Conclude Online

Get More: Cancellations, Finales, News

It appears The Cape has been grounded — not that the dude, like, ever flew in the first place.

A rep for NBC confirms for TVLine that the show’s season finale, which was to have aired this past Monday as part of a double-header, instead will premiere online at NBC.com sometime in March.

The season-ender’s reassignment was first speculated on by TVSeriesFinale.com, which noted this advisory on The Cape‘s NBC.com hub: “The creators … are prepping an exclusive episode just for online fans! Keep watching this site in the days ahead to see a full-length special episode.”

The disappointing performance of both The Cape (which early last month saw its 13-episode order cut to 10) and The Event has caused much shuffling of NBC’s midseason schedule. At first, The Event‘s return from a winter hiatus was pushed back a week so that The Cape could wrap its run on February 28 with a pair of episodes. Instead, NBC made way for Chuck (no argument there!), leaving The Cape‘s finale unaired.

And even the Cape hour that did run on Monday performed far from super-bly: It drew an all-time low 1.1 demo rating, and barely collared 4 million total viewers.

TVLine will let you know as soon as we hear the exact online premiere date for The Cape‘s season finale.

Comments (83)

• “prepping an exclusive episode just for online fans”. In other words our finale wasn’t good enough to air on TV but we begged for an online release.

Comment by Scott – March 2, 2011 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is one of the times when I wish Syfy could just grab something and let it develope a bit more than regular broadcast TV does. I’m sure The Cape could find a real following if the story was allowed to grow and beef up. I hate the way network television makes these ham-handed decisions anymore; if it’s not an instant hit, they dump it without giving it a chance…

Comment by Akuma – March 5, 2011 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I second that. Also, they need to factor in other ways of watching it. I’ve followed The Cape since day one, but, due to my schedule, have always watched it on Hulu. I am really sad that they are cancelling the Cape, and I agree that it would probably do well on Syfy. While I was too young to experience Firefly when it first came out, I’m sure that this is how the fans of Firefly must have felt.

Comment by David – March 8, 2011 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Just like Firefly…… Didn’t give it a chance…

Comment by Nicole – March 21, 2011 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I enjoyed watching the cape. Can’t believe they took it off of the air. They should cancel some of the trash on tv like teenage moms or housewives of nj etc.

Comment by Susan Leisey – April 3, 2011 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Amen to that.

Comment by Andrew – April 17, 2011 09:11 PM PDT
      • The syfi or usa could pick it up. And firefly, the good shows you take off the air. What is on nbc but football

Comment by Tim Davis – April 9, 2011 02:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I liked The Cape ….to the fools who cancelled it!

Comment by Cindy Beasley – March 7, 2011 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t know how they decided how many people watched the show but everybody at work was watching and are mad it was taken off. I work with some 5000 other employees.
      Why would you replace it with the event, I hate it!

Comment by Randy Eddy – March 14, 2011 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is exactly why NBC ranks at the bottom in most categories when it comes to network television shows. Why is it that CBS, ABC, and the cable stations FOX, TNT, CW, and SCY-FY seem to find hit shows that keep coming back and NBC doesn’t? It’s because NBC typically doesn’t give a new show a chance. If the show’s ratings don’t live up to what NBC wants, it announces the possibility of the show’s demise, basically causing folks who may have watched the show to say, “What’s the point?”. And then to have the gall to not even air the final episode? Geez!!! I, for one, looked forward to the weekly episodes of the “The Cape” and I am a real fan of Summer Glau. It’s a shame that the show didn’t run on one of the cable stations such as SCY-FY. Perhaps someone else will pick up the show.

Comment by Willard – April 22, 2011 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hey,
      I’m from Belgium and i just watched all the 10 episodes of ‘the cape’ on demand. I loved it !!! Episode 10′the end’was also available. I just went on the internet to see if there was a episode “2″ i could order, but what did i saw ‘THE CANCELLED IT !!!’. I really don’t understand that.
      To te people of NBC, shame on you. I’m just a teenage boy from little Belgium (so sorry for my english) but you just took away a HERO out of million teenagers lives.

Comment by Mich – June 15, 2011 02:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking of watching this cape thing through NetFlix but knowing ABC Production run and how they just hook fans to watching something and then dropping it. Made my decision easier. I believe that the American Viewer just want a good show like Kyle XY, No Ordinary Family and maybe The Cape to just air for more then one Season. But the problem is we know what this TV Station and other Stations are doing. So they are just shooting themselves on the foot. ABC just think about it why should we look at your show if you have already proven that you can’t keep it going pass one season. why even turn to your channel. I am one of those viewers that wait after the season is over and see if a second season will start to then decide if its worth watching. I hope you understand how instant viewing options online and the computer age has effected your competition. I say Wake up ABC…

Comment by giwil – December 20, 2011 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Canada?? Where and when it’s gonna air???

Comment by Hugues – March 2, 2011 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It ain’t gonna air in Canada either. The Cape air slot has been taken up with The Event.

The a-holes at NBC need to be strung up by the too-tight ties that they wear.

1080i HD far exceeds the quality available for the type of web streaming they will end up using.

AARRGGHH!!

Comment by Mr Video – March 2, 2011 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think the Cape was very good, but I also think that it’s foolish to expect anything BUT declining ratings when you announce that you are cutting a show’s episode order. A lot of people don’t want to bother watching a show they know is ending early.

Comment by XK – March 2, 2011 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s too bad this show did not do better with ratings. It definitely improved as it continued. I hope that since it will end with a “season finale” rather than a “series finale,” the producers will be able to give the dedicated fans a real conclusion rather than a typical cliff hanger. It really had turned into a pretty good show with interesting, deep characters.

Comment by Kim – March 2, 2011 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sad that Summer Glau’s show got cancelled but hope she’ll show up on Chuck again as “Greta.” Maybe she could team up with Casey on his new team of ass kickers.

Comment by Ali – March 2, 2011 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bad ratings or not it’s BS that they don’t show the finale on TV

Comment by Torchwood68 – March 2, 2011 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, it sucks that it didn’t find an audience. Would’ve been a nice premise to have on primetime.

Comment by DryedMangoez – March 2, 2011 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully Summer Glau and David Lyons will find work elsewhere. They’re both great.

Comment by Brianne – March 2, 2011 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope to see David Lyons on another great show,your very talented.Looking forward to seeing more T.V. projects from you.

Comment by Kanani – March 2, 2011 09:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on at least run it On Demand for gods sake.

Comment by BrianR – March 2, 2011 10:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • that’s why the TV gods created Saturday.
    Ratings don’t matter on Saturday,
    Run it off on a Saturday.
    Problem solved.

Comment by calebJ – March 3, 2011 01:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man, i love summer Glau. I hope one day she gets a show that’s awesome and doesn’t get cancelled. She deverves that much, such a talented actress.

Have you seen Summer Glau on the FHM Magazine UK (May 2011) :

Comment by jerry – March 3, 2011 06:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • David Lyons is the worst excuse for an actor I’ve ever seen and he had the lead in an hour long drama, just unbearably awful which, along with bad idea of the show (what is his possible reason for watching his son and wife continue to fully and firmly believe that he was dead and there be no revelation to them at all that he is still alive, and to play “The Cape” for them was just demented and sad) and bad dialogue, is the reason the show failed. The fact that he could barely deliver a line and had zero chemistry with anyone in the cast was just the tip of the iceberg. Summer Glau, Keith David, and David Frain all deserve better shows than this waste of time and deserve to be working with better actors than David Lyons.

Comment by BHM1304 – March 3, 2011 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are freakin’ retarded

Comment by NA – March 8, 2011 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I keep hoping for a GOOD super hero show and each and every time I am horribly disappointed. This one had so much promise (David Lyons was wonderful and Keith David never failed to entertain), but I just gave up when I heard the episode order had been cut. I couldn’t invest more time in a show that was essentially cancelled.

Comment by Janene – March 3, 2011 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Cape final ratings (according to http://summerglauwiki.com/news/the_cape_1_09_razer_ratings/2011-03-01-141) were adjusted up : 1.2 in 18-49 demo and 4.1 millions viewers.

I know it doesn’t change anything but it’s not anymore an “all-time low 1.1 demo rating”.

I hate to say it but l.m glad the show is done and the actors can move on to other projects.

Comment by jeremy – March 3, 2011 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck sucks OP. The Cape had flaws but was a much superior product to that garbage Chuck.

The Cape numbers didn’t get totally awful until NBC cut the order. Then people just dumped it except for the Frain and Glau fans. It still pulled better numbers than Dollhouse iirc.

The media machine and turbonerds chided this show since they first heard the name “The Cape” and saw the first stills. It was rejected before it was even seen, evident by the mediocre premiere numbers.

Chuck deserves to be canceled so hard. I would rather watch Oprah have sex with Kathy Bates on Harry’s Law then watch Chuck, ponder that one numbnuts.

Comment by Anonymous – March 4, 2011 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You have no taste in shows…Chuck was a very good show..We need some comedy/action in the tv line up. You are a real douche bag

Comment by André Maillet – March 4, 2011 10:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • >Chuck… comedy

Yeah, maybe if you are clinically retarded.
        That Jeffster arc is the most unfunny cringe-inducing anti-comedy I have seen in a long time.

Chuck is utter garbage for people with horrible taste.

Comment by Anonymous – March 6, 2011 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show! I hope they don’t cancel it!

Comment by Erik W – March 5, 2011 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They’re saying that “only” 4 million people watched the most recent episode? 4 million is still a whole lot of people to dissappoint — at least air the finale so people can see it….

Comment by Steve – March 6, 2011 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am one of the 4 million that liked it…considering the corruption in the united states at this time..at least a comic book figure was saving his “city”. I really liked the cape swirl thingy. Made me smile every time.

Comment by lady cape – March 6, 2011 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoy the show. Too bad it’s canceled. The acting and directing was great for a show about a comic book, and I thought the whole idea was a great breath of fresh air for network television. Forget the ratings, the Cape blows away Entertainment Tonight and The Event, no matter what the execs at NBC have to say about it.

Comment by Joboc – March 7, 2011 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jeez, talk about low confidence. Rather than give a show a chance after a sluggish start, they just dump it and move on to something else.

Cheers had a bad start, it was at the bottom of the list in ratings after its first episode, but after getting passed that it became a major hit. Networks these days simply don’t have the guts to stick through with a slow start. Wimps. I’ma just go back to watching FOX I guess. You lost a viewer, NBC.

Comment by mike – March 7, 2011 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Declining ratings? I don’t even watch TV anymore thanks to the garbage that’s on it. And who’s fault is it? Our own. We brought reality TV upon ourselves, and now we’re paying for it.

I watch everything online, and online only as do many of my friends. What’s happening to TV is exactly what happened to the radio when TV first came out. More and more people are migrating over to the internet, and it’s time for the people with too much stock in television to rethink about their investments. It’s quickly becoming an irrelevant dinosaur.

Comment by Benn – March 7, 2011 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Summer Glau, but for gods sake everything she’s on gets cancelled, shes kryptonite for television. I liked the cape, it had real potential.

Comment by anthony – March 8, 2011 12:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There Is No Such Thing As A Summer Glau Curse!

Because she’s become a science fiction icon, and thus ripe for takedown.She’s one of the few actors of the past decade to have a string of really memorable science fiction roles — even if she’d only played Cameron in T:SCC she’d have a huge cult following. And thus she’s ripe for a backlash. Because nerds love to hate anybody that nerds love.

Full article (via io9) : http://summerglauwiki.com/news/there_is_no_such_thing_as_a_summer_glau_curse/2011-03-08-148

Comment by michelangelo – March 8, 2011 02:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Firefly – cancelled after 1 season, terminator – cancelled after 2 seasons but almost didn’t get a 2nd season, dollhouse – cancelled after 2 seasons, right after summer joined the cast, the cape – cancelled mid season. I don’t hate on nerd stuff, I’m a big nerd myself, otherwise I wouldn’t be upset about the cape being cancelled. Summer is hot and even becoming a decent actress, but that girl is cursed.

Comment by anthony – March 8, 2011 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn I love The Cape… great show … the bad thing is they had to air it just after the Event which is one of the worst shows I’ve seen… I agree with Akuma SyFy should take the show and let it grow I bet there will be a lot of fans for it that wont be forced to watch lame shows while waiting

Comment by marcela – March 8, 2011 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fans in Canada will not be able to see the conclusion–even if we get NBC on cable, because Canadians are barred from viewing online content on NBC.com. So this just sucks.

Comment by Paul – March 9, 2011 07:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show probably would have done well on Fox or SyFy. The show wasn’t that bad and the comic book type villains were cool.

Comment by Bobby – March 10, 2011 04:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well heck. This was the one show the kids and I watched together. I can’t stand that Disney junk and most Network weekly shows are too adult (boring or sexual) for my kids. We were waiting on the mom to get killed so the Cape and “what’s her face” could hook up. I would DVR it and have family night. Guess it is back to watching recorded episodes of “Little House on the Prairie”…the only other show we all like somewhat…whoo-whoo.

Comment by Jeremy – March 10, 2011 05:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My son and I really enjoyed watching this together. It’s a shame that they don’t give it some more time to develop. They’ll probably replace it with another reality show which costs them nothing to make……..Booooo NBC!

Comment by Mike & Elijah – March 11, 2011 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Cape was getting interesting to watch every week.Its too bad a great show had this happen to it.NBC seems to give Reality Shows more of a chance than gjving a great show with a very talented cast any chances.I do hope David Lyons will have another show that blows us away!You totally rock!!!Good Luck and dont lose hope.

Comment by Kanani Rodriguez – March 12, 2011 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the cape, & I am a 57 yr. old that watches Days Of Our Lives religiously.. Wow how disappointing to have this like a rug jerked out from under all the follower’s that were just getting into this.. I am on this forum because I had to to find out what happened to my program I so looked forward to watching! Kinda like ending a soap in the middle of it.. I thought the characters and the whold deal was perfect for kids, & adults! It wasn’t hire to kill program over and over or cops, you can get sick of after awhile.. It was fantasy super hero like the old days! Geeezzz I guess not enough crap content for it to make it.. I will watch it on line if I have to but to get rid of it was ridiculous! Kinda like canning Passions right in the middle of it!

Comment by Ibgabby – March 14, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked this show. ABC cancelled the last one I was digging as well, Flash Foward! Arg!

Comment by Tanisha – March 14, 2011 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was googling trying to get info on my fave show and why I wasn’t seeing it on the schedule for NBC today…How sad

I just found it on VOD on Time Warner Cable NYC

Will be watching the final episode at 9pm

Comment by Marcos – March 14, 2011 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC REALY SUCKS i will not watch another show on nbc.First it was knight rider they cut and my whole family would gather around the tv and watch that show now i had my family into the cape and they killed that one.So nbc is realy not a family station we will be watching wb for smallville until it goes off the air.It is real sad that nbc would take off shows that familys would sit together and watch for some dumb s-it.

Comment by bill – March 14, 2011 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I kinda liked the show too, but i’m sure everyone agrees with me when i say : “BRING HEROES BACK!”
    Chuck is a great show…but i liked Heroes more

Comment by John – March 16, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely loved the cape; it was the only show that I consistently watched and made time for. I really hope that syfy gets a hold of it and turns it into something great

Comment by belle – March 18, 2011 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • thank god this show was one of the worst pieces of garbage i have ever seen nbc should have just re-upped HEROES insted of putting this zero of a show on

Comment by pudge – March 18, 2011 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The cape was a wonderful superhero show and if you say otherwise your an idiot! you probably also like to watch Cake boss and RuPaul’s Drag Race! Canceling this show was almost as bad as canceling Firefly.

Comment by Randall – March 20, 2011 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe that nbc did this to this show.I loved it.It is so unfair to just cancel shows no ending like we don’t count.I think if you gave it more time to find its fan base it would do well.

Comment by joy smith – March 21, 2011 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another mistake made by the conglomerates

Comment by KJ – March 21, 2011 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If people watch marvel and DC movies in theaters, don’t they think an actual series would hook people, sell the rights and keep the show going geez!

Comment by Marwayne – March 23, 2011 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is a shame they took off The Cape. It was a show that was enjoyed as a family. They leave all the trashy shows on. Every time we start to enjoy something they take it off. Why watch tv???

Comment by Kellie – April 4, 2011 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 4 million viewers wasn’t enough??? I watch this online along with probably tons of other people, they need to start taking the online viewers into account for shows like this. I pay for cable but generally don’t have time to watch shows live. No more cable for me if shows are just going to be cancelled anyway. I should just wait and see if the show will make it before watching it if everyone is going to continually cancel shows. So frustrating…

Comment by Benjamin – April 5, 2011 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OK, lame nuts, what is wrong with us? Huh? I mean really, these old fracks at the networks obviously still rely on old school data. Nealson, (aren’t they dead yet?), really! In today’s world, change is started online, which by the way, is where I watch my programs. So, if any of you “OLD” frackin stupid heads are reading this, this is why your information is so WRONG. Come on now, there will come a time when, even your little “nickle” of info won’t get “fill in the blank” a dime of information. So, when are you going to get it? Do we, the bloggers, have to start an online “revolution” like Tunisia, Egypt and those that are following to get your old fart asses to wake up?

Comment by J – April 6, 2011 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BRING BACK HEROES!!!!!

The Cape was supposed to be the answer to Heroes but come on now… I’d love to see Heroes come back on SciFi. No, I will not call that network by it’s new name.

Comment by cmonster – April 7, 2011 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wtf.I loved that show.I had to dvr it because of work.it was my favorite show bring it back.

Comment by mike moore – April 11, 2011 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My husband and I love this series. It was a good family show. It showed good versus evil which is a traditional show that I think the youth would enjoy. Good family values. Not like a lot of the trash shows that are being exhibited on tv nowadays. That was our family together show. What are we going to do now?

Comment by lynelle moore – April 11, 2011 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG it really upsets me that NBC cancelled the show I loved it had everything a goof show should have I wish some other network picks it up NBC canceled a gra8 show highly upset

Comment by Jade – April 17, 2011 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC execs…U are definetly a bunch of screw ups…that is why 80% or more watch CBS U folks at nbc get a good show that the whole family can watch and u take it off…don’t u realize that America NEEDS a super Hero for our grandchildren NOW..and u all had it…to bad sssooo sad for us “The Cape” fans out in nether land…

Comment by hank – April 18, 2011 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aw man this sucks. This is Firefly all over again.

Comment by Lamar – April 25, 2011 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was really in awe when I found out the show was off air there is only a handful of shows that I take time for to watch even if I had to record it. The Cape was a must see what a downer!

Comment by melodie bernard – April 28, 2011 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post