The Cape's Crusade Will Conclude Online

It appears The Cape has been grounded — not that the dude, like, ever flew in the first place.

A rep for NBC confirms for TVLine that the show’s season finale, which was to have aired this past Monday as part of a double-header, instead will premiere online at NBC.com sometime in March.

The season-ender’s reassignment was first speculated on by TVSeriesFinale.com, which noted this advisory on The Cape‘s NBC.com hub: “The creators … are prepping an exclusive episode just for online fans! Keep watching this site in the days ahead to see a full-length special episode.”

The disappointing performance of both The Cape (which early last month saw its 13-episode order cut to 10) and The Event has caused much shuffling of NBC’s midseason schedule. At first, The Event‘s return from a winter hiatus was pushed back a week so that The Cape could wrap its run on February 28 with a pair of episodes. Instead, NBC made way for Chuck (no argument there!), leaving The Cape‘s finale unaired.

And even the Cape hour that did run on Monday performed far from super-bly: It drew an all-time low 1.1 demo rating, and barely collared 4 million total viewers.

TVLine will let you know as soon as we hear the exact online premiere date for The Cape‘s season finale.

1. Scott says:

“prepping an exclusive episode just for online fans”. In other words our finale wasn’t good enough to air on TV but we begged for an online release.

• Akuma says:

This is one of the times when I wish Syfy could just grab something and let it develope a bit more than regular broadcast TV does. I’m sure The Cape could find a real following if the story was allowed to grow and beef up. I hate the way network television makes these ham-handed decisions anymore; if it’s not an instant hit, they dump it without giving it a chance…

• David says:

I second that. Also, they need to factor in other ways of watching it. I’ve followed The Cape since day one, but, due to my schedule, have always watched it on Hulu. I am really sad that they are cancelling the Cape, and I agree that it would probably do well on Syfy. While I was too young to experience Firefly when it first came out, I’m sure that this is how the fans of Firefly must have felt.

• Nicole says:

Just like Firefly…… Didn’t give it a chance…

• Tim Davis says:

The syfi or usa could pick it up. And firefly, the good shows you take off the air. What is on nbc but football

• Cindy Beasley says:

I liked The Cape ….to the fools who cancelled it!

• Randy Eddy says:

I don’t know how they decided how many people watched the show but everybody at work was watching and are mad it was taken off. I work with some 5000 other employees.
      Why would you replace it with the event, I hate it!

• Willard says:

This is exactly why NBC ranks at the bottom in most categories when it comes to network television shows. Why is it that CBS, ABC, and the cable stations FOX, TNT, CW, and SCY-FY seem to find hit shows that keep coming back and NBC doesn’t? It’s because NBC typically doesn’t give a new show a chance. If the show’s ratings don’t live up to what NBC wants, it announces the possibility of the show’s demise, basically causing folks who may have watched the show to say, “What’s the point?”. And then to have the gall to not even air the final episode? Geez!!! I, for one, looked forward to the weekly episodes of the “The Cape” and I am a real fan of Summer Glau. It’s a shame that the show didn’t run on one of the cable stations such as SCY-FY. Perhaps someone else will pick up the show.

• Mich says:

Hey,
      I’m from Belgium and i just watched all the 10 episodes of ‘the cape’ on demand. I loved it !!! Episode 10’the end’was also available. I just went on the internet to see if there was a episode “2” i could order, but what did i saw ‘THE CANCELLED IT !!!’. I really don’t understand that.
      To te people of NBC, shame on you. I’m just a teenage boy from little Belgium (so sorry for my english) but you just took away a HERO out of million teenagers lives.

• giwil says:

I was thinking of watching this cape thing through NetFlix but knowing ABC Production run and how they just hook fans to watching something and then dropping it. Made my decision easier. I believe that the American Viewer just want a good show like Kyle XY, No Ordinary Family and maybe The Cape to just air for more then one Season. But the problem is we know what this TV Station and other Stations are doing. So they are just shooting themselves on the foot. ABC just think about it why should we look at your show if you have already proven that you can’t keep it going pass one season. why even turn to your channel. I am one of those viewers that wait after the season is over and see if a second season will start to then decide if its worth watching. I hope you understand how instant viewing options online and the computer age has effected your competition. I say Wake up ABC…

2. Hugues says:

What about Canada?? Where and when it’s gonna air???

• Mr Video says:

It ain’t gonna air in Canada either. The Cape air slot has been taken up with The Event.

The a-holes at NBC need to be strung up by the too-tight ties that they wear.

1080i HD far exceeds the quality available for the type of web streaming they will end up using.

AARRGGHH!!

3. XK says:

I don’t think the Cape was very good, but I also think that it’s foolish to expect anything BUT declining ratings when you announce that you are cutting a show’s episode order. A lot of people don’t want to bother watching a show they know is ending early.

4. Kim says:

It’s too bad this show did not do better with ratings. It definitely improved as it continued. I hope that since it will end with a “season finale” rather than a “series finale,” the producers will be able to give the dedicated fans a real conclusion rather than a typical cliff hanger. It really had turned into a pretty good show with interesting, deep characters.

5. Ali says:

I’m sad that Summer Glau’s show got cancelled but hope she’ll show up on Chuck again as “Greta.” Maybe she could team up with Casey on his new team of ass kickers.

6. Torchwood68 says:

Bad ratings or not it’s BS that they don’t show the finale on TV

7. DryedMangoez says:

Well, it sucks that it didn’t find an audience. Would’ve been a nice premise to have on primetime.

8. Brianne says:

Hopefully Summer Glau and David Lyons will find work elsewhere. They’re both great.

9. Kanani says:

Hope to see David Lyons on another great show,your very talented.Looking forward to seeing more T.V. projects from you.

10. BrianR says:

Come on at least run it On Demand for gods sake.

11. calebJ says:

that’s why the TV gods created Saturday.
    Ratings don’t matter on Saturday,
    Run it off on a Saturday.
    Problem solved.

12. jerry says:

Man, i love summer Glau. I hope one day she gets a show that’s awesome and doesn’t get cancelled. She deverves that much, such a talented actress.

Have you seen Summer Glau on the FHM Magazine UK (May 2011) :

13. BHM1304 says:

David Lyons is the worst excuse for an actor I’ve ever seen and he had the lead in an hour long drama, just unbearably awful which, along with bad idea of the show (what is his possible reason for watching his son and wife continue to fully and firmly believe that he was dead and there be no revelation to them at all that he is still alive, and to play “The Cape” for them was just demented and sad) and bad dialogue, is the reason the show failed. The fact that he could barely deliver a line and had zero chemistry with anyone in the cast was just the tip of the iceberg. Summer Glau, Keith David, and David Frain all deserve better shows than this waste of time and deserve to be working with better actors than David Lyons.

14. Janene says:

I keep hoping for a GOOD super hero show and each and every time I am horribly disappointed. This one had so much promise (David Lyons was wonderful and Keith David never failed to entertain), but I just gave up when I heard the episode order had been cut. I couldn’t invest more time in a show that was essentially cancelled.

15. jeremy says:

The Cape final ratings (according to http://summerglauwiki.com/news/the_cape_1_09_razer_ratings/2011-03-01-141) were adjusted up : 1.2 in 18-49 demo and 4.1 millions viewers.

I know it doesn’t change anything but it’s not anymore an “all-time low 1.1 demo rating”.

I hate to say it but l.m glad the show is done and the actors can move on to other projects.

16. Anonymous says:

Chuck sucks OP. The Cape had flaws but was a much superior product to that garbage Chuck.

The Cape numbers didn’t get totally awful until NBC cut the order. Then people just dumped it except for the Frain and Glau fans. It still pulled better numbers than Dollhouse iirc.

The media machine and turbonerds chided this show since they first heard the name “The Cape” and saw the first stills. It was rejected before it was even seen, evident by the mediocre premiere numbers.

Chuck deserves to be canceled so hard. I would rather watch Oprah have sex with Kathy Bates on Harry’s Law then watch Chuck, ponder that one numbnuts.

• André Maillet says:

You have no taste in shows…Chuck was a very good show..We need some comedy/action in the tv line up. You are a real douche bag

• Anonymous says:

>Chuck… comedy

Yeah, maybe if you are clinically retarded.
        That Jeffster arc is the most unfunny cringe-inducing anti-comedy I have seen in a long time.

Chuck is utter garbage for people with horrible taste.

17. Erik W says:

I love this show! I hope they don’t cancel it!

18. Steve says:

They’re saying that “only” 4 million people watched the most recent episode? 4 million is still a whole lot of people to dissappoint — at least air the finale so people can see it….

19. lady cape says:

I am one of the 4 million that liked it…considering the corruption in the united states at this time..at least a comic book figure was saving his “city”. I really liked the cape swirl thingy. Made me smile every time.

20. Joboc says:

I really enjoy the show. Too bad it’s canceled. The acting and directing was great for a show about a comic book, and I thought the whole idea was a great breath of fresh air for network television. Forget the ratings, the Cape blows away Entertainment Tonight and The Event, no matter what the execs at NBC have to say about it.

21. mike says:

Jeez, talk about low confidence. Rather than give a show a chance after a sluggish start, they just dump it and move on to something else.

Cheers had a bad start, it was at the bottom of the list in ratings after its first episode, but after getting passed that it became a major hit. Networks these days simply don’t have the guts to stick through with a slow start. Wimps. I’ma just go back to watching FOX I guess. You lost a viewer, NBC.

22. Benn says:

Declining ratings? I don’t even watch TV anymore thanks to the garbage that’s on it. And who’s fault is it? Our own. We brought reality TV upon ourselves, and now we’re paying for it.

I watch everything online, and online only as do many of my friends. What’s happening to TV is exactly what happened to the radio when TV first came out. More and more people are migrating over to the internet, and it’s time for the people with too much stock in television to rethink about their investments. It’s quickly becoming an irrelevant dinosaur.

23. anthony says:

I like Summer Glau, but for gods sake everything she’s on gets cancelled, shes kryptonite for television. I liked the cape, it had real potential.

• michelangelo says:

There Is No Such Thing As A Summer Glau Curse!

Because she’s become a science fiction icon, and thus ripe for takedown.She’s one of the few actors of the past decade to have a string of really memorable science fiction roles — even if she’d only played Cameron in T:SCC she’d have a huge cult following. And thus she’s ripe for a backlash. Because nerds love to hate anybody that nerds love.

Full article (via io9) : http://summerglauwiki.com/news/there_is_no_such_thing_as_a_summer_glau_curse/2011-03-08-148

• anthony says:

Firefly – cancelled after 1 season, terminator – cancelled after 2 seasons but almost didn’t get a 2nd season, dollhouse – cancelled after 2 seasons, right after summer joined the cast, the cape – cancelled mid season. I don’t hate on nerd stuff, I’m a big nerd myself, otherwise I wouldn’t be upset about the cape being cancelled. Summer is hot and even becoming a decent actress, but that girl is cursed.

24. marcela says:

Damn I love The Cape… great show … the bad thing is they had to air it just after the Event which is one of the worst shows I’ve seen… I agree with Akuma SyFy should take the show and let it grow I bet there will be a lot of fans for it that wont be forced to watch lame shows while waiting

25. Paul says:

Fans in Canada will not be able to see the conclusion–even if we get NBC on cable, because Canadians are barred from viewing online content on NBC.com. So this just sucks.

26. Bobby says:

The show probably would have done well on Fox or SyFy. The show wasn’t that bad and the comic book type villains were cool.

27. Jeremy says:

Well heck. This was the one show the kids and I watched together. I can’t stand that Disney junk and most Network weekly shows are too adult (boring or sexual) for my kids. We were waiting on the mom to get killed so the Cape and “what’s her face” could hook up. I would DVR it and have family night. Guess it is back to watching recorded episodes of “Little House on the Prairie”…the only other show we all like somewhat…whoo-whoo.

28. Mike & Elijah says:

My son and I really enjoyed watching this together. It’s a shame that they don’t give it some more time to develop. They’ll probably replace it with another reality show which costs them nothing to make……..Booooo NBC!

29. Kanani Rodriguez says:

The Cape was getting interesting to watch every week.Its too bad a great show had this happen to it.NBC seems to give Reality Shows more of a chance than gjving a great show with a very talented cast any chances.I do hope David Lyons will have another show that blows us away!You totally rock!!!Good Luck and dont lose hope.

30. Ibgabby says:

I loved the cape, & I am a 57 yr. old that watches Days Of Our Lives religiously.. Wow how disappointing to have this like a rug jerked out from under all the follower’s that were just getting into this.. I am on this forum because I had to to find out what happened to my program I so looked forward to watching! Kinda like ending a soap in the middle of it.. I thought the characters and the whold deal was perfect for kids, & adults! It wasn’t hire to kill program over and over or cops, you can get sick of after awhile.. It was fantasy super hero like the old days! Geeezzz I guess not enough crap content for it to make it.. I will watch it on line if I have to but to get rid of it was ridiculous! Kinda like canning Passions right in the middle of it!

31. Tanisha says:

I liked this show. ABC cancelled the last one I was digging as well, Flash Foward! Arg!

32. Marcos says:

I was googling trying to get info on my fave show and why I wasn’t seeing it on the schedule for NBC today…How sad

I just found it on VOD on Time Warner Cable NYC

Will be watching the final episode at 9pm

33. bill says:

NBC REALY SUCKS i will not watch another show on nbc.First it was knight rider they cut and my whole family would gather around the tv and watch that show now i had my family into the cape and they killed that one.So nbc is realy not a family station we will be watching wb for smallville until it goes off the air.It is real sad that nbc would take off shows that familys would sit together and watch for some dumb s-it.

34. John says:

I kinda liked the show too, but i’m sure everyone agrees with me when i say : “BRING HEROES BACK!”
    Chuck is a great show…but i liked Heroes more

35. belle says:

I absolutely loved the cape; it was the only show that I consistently watched and made time for. I really hope that syfy gets a hold of it and turns it into something great

36. pudge says:

thank god this show was one of the worst pieces of garbage i have ever seen nbc should have just re-upped HEROES insted of putting this zero of a show on

37. Randall says:

The cape was a wonderful superhero show and if you say otherwise your an idiot! you probably also like to watch Cake boss and RuPaul’s Drag Race! Canceling this show was almost as bad as canceling Firefly.

38. joy smith says:

I can’t believe that nbc did this to this show.I loved it.It is so unfair to just cancel shows no ending like we don’t count.I think if you gave it more time to find its fan base it would do well.

39. KJ says:

Another mistake made by the conglomerates

40. Marwayne says:

If people watch marvel and DC movies in theaters, don’t they think an actual series would hook people, sell the rights and keep the show going geez!

41. Kellie says:

It is a shame they took off The Cape. It was a show that was enjoyed as a family. They leave all the trashy shows on. Every time we start to enjoy something they take it off. Why watch tv???

42. Benjamin says:

4 million viewers wasn’t enough??? I watch this online along with probably tons of other people, they need to start taking the online viewers into account for shows like this. I pay for cable but generally don’t have time to watch shows live. No more cable for me if shows are just going to be cancelled anyway. I should just wait and see if the show will make it before watching it if everyone is going to continually cancel shows. So frustrating…

43. J says:

OK, lame nuts, what is wrong with us? Huh? I mean really, these old fracks at the networks obviously still rely on old school data. Nealson, (aren’t they dead yet?), really! In today’s world, change is started online, which by the way, is where I watch my programs. So, if any of you “OLD” frackin stupid heads are reading this, this is why your information is so WRONG. Come on now, there will come a time when, even your little “nickle” of info won’t get “fill in the blank” a dime of information. So, when are you going to get it? Do we, the bloggers, have to start an online “revolution” like Tunisia, Egypt and those that are following to get your old fart asses to wake up?

44. cmonster says:

BRING BACK HEROES!!!!!

The Cape was supposed to be the answer to Heroes but come on now… I’d love to see Heroes come back on SciFi. No, I will not call that network by it’s new name.

45. mike moore says:

wtf.I loved that show.I had to dvr it because of work.it was my favorite show bring it back.

46. lynelle moore says:

My husband and I love this series. It was a good family show. It showed good versus evil which is a traditional show that I think the youth would enjoy. Good family values. Not like a lot of the trash shows that are being exhibited on tv nowadays. That was our family together show. What are we going to do now?

47. Jade says:

OMG it really upsets me that NBC cancelled the show I loved it had everything a goof show should have I wish some other network picks it up NBC canceled a gra8 show highly upset

48. hank says:

NBC execs…U are definetly a bunch of screw ups…that is why 80% or more watch CBS U folks at nbc get a good show that the whole family can watch and u take it off…don’t u realize that America NEEDS a super Hero for our grandchildren NOW..and u all had it…to bad sssooo sad for us “The Cape” fans out in nether land…

49. Lamar says:

Aw man this sucks. This is Firefly all over again.

50. melodie bernard says:

I was really in awe when I found out the show was off air there is only a handful of shows that I take time for to watch even if I had to record it. The Cape was a must see what a downer!