Exclusive

Law & Order Crossover Scoop: LOLA's Terrence Howard Drops By SVU!

In a shrewd bit of product placement, NBC is embedding Law & Order: Los Angeles leading man Terrence Howard in an episode of Law & Order: SVU.

The crossover — slated to air during May sweeps — finds Howard’s LOLA character, DA Joe Dekker, stepping outside his official DA post to defend a friend’s son. Representing the people will be returning ADA Casey Novak (Diane Neal).

NBC has yet to announce a return date for LOLA, which underwent a major revamp earlier this year in the face of disappointing ratings and reviews. The network is no doubt hoping a little exposure on SVU will give the rookie drama a boost.

1. Abigail says:

I’m so excited!!! I LOVE Casey and wish they wouldn’t have gotten rid of her. I wonder how she is going to be able to defend the case. They got rid of her in the series by disbarring her.

• mike says:

she never was truly disbarred. she got a minimum of year censure (suspension) and then a hearing would take place, which we never what happens with that. Donnelly said she reported her but not that she got her disbarred. so she could technically still be an ADA just she never came back to SVU until now.

2. Alex says:

Yeah go Casey!!!! I’m so happy she’ll be in the court again!!!!

3. Nikki says:

cant wait for the return of Diane Neal…i never really watched LOLA but i do LOVE Terrence so im looking forward to the two of them to be on the show TOGETHER!!!

4. kim in dallas says:

Maybe she had the ruling overturned(disbarrment)

• HGFM says:

It is possible to have an appeals court overturn a disbarment. This is a very rare thing which the US Supreme Court says should only be done “when there has been an abuse of discretion”. Given Novak’s offense, I don’t see that as a possibility. Nor is it likely that the DA’s office would hire Novak back after her ethics violations were exposed.
      More likely, the writers/producers will simply rewrite SVU history and ignored the disbarment.

• Esaul says:

Quite honestly and personally, I doubt they will do that. Both Cutter and McCoy have done a lot worse, if you’re comparing and contrasting them. And I wouldn’t doubt that McCoy would hire her again, since he’s the big cheese now and what not. If it were Arthur, then that’d be another matter.

• HGFM says:

MoCoy was the one who threatened to fire Casey and have her lose her license over her abuse of authority as an ADA in the episode Blinded. If he was willing to do that for something that small, he was certainly supporting the Bar’s decision over a Brady violation. That’s a much bigger deal. I can’t see him rehiring someone when every defense lawyer will try to use her past ethical mistakes against her.

5. Jon says:

Final nail.

I’m sorry, but I have never understood Howard’s appeal. He seems like he is on the verge of crying in every single scene. His voice and his watery eyes drive me away. He is the reason I skipped every other LOLA episode, and I will not be watching it when it comes back even if it means I miss the wonderful Alfred Molina and the fascinating Corey Stoll.

6. Reena says:

Agree with @jon I did not like the episodes with Terrance Howard although I think he is a good actor he was a bit over the top for me espicially when he talked it did sound like he was about to cry all the time…I liked Alfred Molina in the DA role and I was dissapointed they got rid of megan boone I liked her character too…I hope this new cast works out better I did like the story lines of LOLA

7. Mena says:

I wonder if NBC will just burn off the unaired episodes of LO:LA during the summer and then relaunch the show next fall with Connie Rubirosa as the new A.D.A.?

8. Diane says:

They need to make Sawyer and Miles the cop partners. Alana De La Garza is already there. The ratings will be smoking!

9. J-Mo says:

I like Howard in LOLA – he’s a damn good actor. I think he is just trying too hard esp. in a role that doesn’t really suit him. He’s even said in an interview he wanted to play a cop on LOLA (makes me question Dick Wolf’s actions by changing out Molina and bringing in de la Garza)!

But as for this SVU/LOLA character crossover – I’m game. Must be a perfect case for A.D.A. Novak to ‘put on the heels’. Will Melissa Sagemiller be in it? (She should be, wouldn’t fit like w/ Lahti coming in/out while Hardwicke is).

10. Tania says:

LOLA is dead to me. It’s now SVU, the final season of CI and L&O UK (now that the mothership is gone).

11. L says:

The news that Casey is coming back was pretty unexpected (for me, anyway) but I’m interested to see how it turns out. Speaking only on my behalf, I guess NBC’s plan may actually work – I mean, I was pretty annoyed that they cancelled Law & Order but if I like DA Joe Dekker enough, I may give LOLA a chance. Although, in all honesty, I wouldn’t even be considering this if they hadn’t of casted Alana de la Garza on LOLA. I loved ADA Connie Rubirosa. She is one of my favorite ADAs in the franchise.

12. Deborah McNamara says:

I am going to stop watching LOLA now that Skeet U. is off of the show it is the only reson that I started wathing it in the first place. Would some one put Micheal Mority back on one of the shows please! I would like to see Chris North sometimes revise his role.
    I know he is on the good wife, but he could be a guest some times.

13. boidiva02 says:

Wait, but wasn’t Casey disbarred from practicing law? I cannot wait to see how they get around that story plot.

14. robinepowell says:

I already knew Diane Neal was returning (Tuesday’s news on TV Guide) and I hope she returns full time next season to SVU. I’ve only liked her and Stephanie March and we need one of them back full time. I did like Chrsitine Lahti’s character, but unfortunately, the writers decided to kill her off. :(

As for LOLA it was nice in theory, but not the same the original, which should have been around one more season, so it could break Gunsmoke’s record. ;)

15. Grace says:

NO SKEET…..NO LOLA for me.

16. Jennie says:

I JUST HAVE ONE COMMENT….. SKEET GOES… I GO… NO MORE L.O.L.A FOR ME…