Kyle Bornheimer Joins Fox's Council of Dads. Is Perfect Couples Over?

Perfect Couples fans, avert your eyes: Kyle Bornheimer has been tapped to co-star in Fox’s comedy pilot Council of Dads.

The potential new series tells the story of a dying man named Michael who enlists the help of five of his male friends to form a “council of dads” for his two children, Deadline reports. Bornheimer, who joins the already-cast Diane Farr, Patrick Breen and Ken Howard, fills the part of “fun dad” perfectly, which calls for a funny, loud, larger than life personality.

Bornheimer’s Council casting is technically in second position to NBC’s Perfect Couples, whose future is still up in the air.

Are you hoping Perfect Couples lives on, or are you ready to see Bornheimer shine in another comedic role? Sound off in the comments!

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, News, Pilots

1. FH14 says:

Not sure whether to feel horrified by that plot (of a sitcom) or applaud network TV for going outside the box. O__o

2. joey says:

i’m so happy that Olivia Munn gave up her job on Attack of the Show so she can take the Perfect Couples role. Now all we need is to get Jon Stewart to get rid of her and the world will only have to avoid her at the checkout lines of grocery stores when her career goes the sad path of magazine cover model.

3. Barbara B says:

O No, ‘Perfect Couples’ is hilarious..I hope that show stays alive *fingers crossed*

• marcia says:

I love “Perfect Couples” – Funny, great writing, Kyle is frankly adorable – the show is hilarious – and miracle of miracles, my husband likes it too!

4. movieaddicted says:

I like Perfect Couples, it’s a really nice new show!

5. Lauraxoxo says:

I LOVE PERFECT COUPLES!!!! It’s so funny and ir perfect for my demographic!! I watch a lof of teen dramas and it’s nice to see shows for people between 25-35 like Percfect Couples or How I met Your Mother.

6. RP says:

This news stinks. Perfect Couples was really just hitting it’s stride. Shows get yanked SO fast nowadays, it’s stupid.

7. L says:

This guy is not funny and all his shows get canceled shortly after airing.

8. Dan says:

To be honest, Perfect Couples never caught on and had it not been on NBC, I am sure it would have been cancelled early. Unfortunately, Kyle Bornheimer doesn’t have much luck with sitcoms: Worst Week, Romantically Challenged and Perfect Couples, none of which made it to a second season.

So while I wish him well, I don’t hold out much hope for his new sitcom on Fox who are notorious for messing around with sitcoms: ‘Til Death, Arrested Development, Stacked or not renewing them at all: Undeclared, Sons Of Tucson, Running Wilde, Traffic Light and far too many others.

I think the last hit sitcoms Fox had were Malcolm In The Middle and That 70s Show, both of which ended in 2006. And apart from Raising Hope which seems to be a poor man’s My Name Is Earl, funnily enough by the guy who created Earl, Fox are lacking behind even the NBC network in sitcoms.

9. Jon says:

I tried to like Perfect Couples, but just not feeling it. Bornheimer needs a win. Olivia Munn – overhyped.

10. Cy says:

‘Perfect Couples’ gets better and better each week! Kyle is hilarious!! Great ensemble–even Olivia Munn. Very annoyed to hear this!

11. Henry says:

Kyle Bornheimer is amazingly talented – rare combo of funny, handsome, immensely likeable. Sadly, “Perfect Couples” is anything but perfect. This guy needs to land something worthy of his talent. Maybe the Fox sitcom will be it.

12. TigerNightmare says:

I thought I was cynical. What’s with all these people posting on every freaking article about how much they think something sucks? I enjoyed Kyle Bornheimer’s work on Worst Week and am looking forward to what he does next. Perfect Couples is far from a perfect show, but there’s not a lot of point in needlessly bashing it, other than enjoying the sight of your own word vomit. No one else wants to see that. Seriously.

13. katiel says:

good for Bornheimer! that guy is hilarious and he elevates every project he does — be it a tv show like “perfect couples,” a movie like “you again,” or even those hiliarious T-Mobile spots he did. the guy is kind of a comic genius and I hope this show is the one.

14. Excelda says:

I’m not “needlessly bashing” Perfect Couples, but I don’t find it watchable (not my kind of humor at all), and I’d like to see it replaced with something that fits better into the NBC Thursday night lineup so that I don’t have to change the channel for 30 minutes and then have to worry about changing it back in time to catch the rest of the shows. I’m guessing that other people feel the same way, which is why it’s possibly getting canceled. For those of you who like it, I’m sorry. I think it’s very much on the wrong network at the wrong time.

• Jonathan says:

The new lineup has been perfect for me since I don’t like Community or Outsourced, and it seems to have bumped up the ratings for Parks & Rec, which is my current favorite of the evening, probably my favorite comedy currently on network television.

15. Jonathan says:

I’ve been pleasantly surprised with Perfect Couples. I figured with Munn and another three-straight-couples formula that it would just be eye-rollingly bad, but it’s been fairly funny and (shock!) inoffensive. It’s great to see Mary Elizabeth Ellis on network TV, and I’ve been missing Christine Woods since FlashForward tanked — she’s a fantastic comic actress, as it turns out. I won’t be heartbroken if it’s canceled, but considering what else they’ve had on NBC Thursday nights (*cough*OUTSOURCED*cough*) I wouldn’t mind if it stuck around.

16. Jorge Jose Herrera says:

This will be Bornheimer’s fourth pilot in four years after Worst Week was axed, then Romantically Challenged and now presumably Perfect Couples.

17. John Berggren says:

I like Kyle a lot more than his projects. I hope he finds success.

18. Tim says:

I watched the first 15 minutes of Perfect Couples. It’s completely unwatchable. This guy and the chick from Flash Forward were actually funny in the few minutes I watched. The rest of the actors made the show completely terrible.

19. Wes says:

Personally, I enjoy Perfect Couples. I find it getting better and better as the weeks go on. I hope it doesn’t get cancelled.

20. Al says:

Olivia Munn is too good for this show. She needs her own show. People who don’t like her, especially the guys, are probable fat ugly losers who can’t get laid.

21. Sourabh says:

I know most people here hate Outsourced, but it’s Perfect Couples that’s the weak link in the wonderful wonderful NBC Thursday comedy chain.

22. Todd says:

Perfect Couples has been horrible. I have not been able to watch it for more than two minutes at a time. Good riddance.

Unless I hear massive, spectacular things, I won’t be watching Council of Dads. It sounds pathetic.

23. 002 says:

When I saw the first episode of perfect couples I immediately wrote it off. The show does progressively get better and better with each episode. I can understand why you would not like the show if you only saw the first episode but I really hope NBC gives it a chance to get a fan base. Personally and I know I will catch hell for this but I can’t stand the office type shows which includes parks and rec. I guess I’m more for traditional sitcoms with the exception of Arrested Development. So it’s hard for me to say this being a die hard arrested development fan and also now being a fan of Perfect couples since the 2 shows couldn’t be any more different. Hopefully NBC will at least give it another 7 episodes at least.

24. Yastach says:

I really hope that Perfect Couples is cancelled. It was clever of NBC to wedge a crap show like that between Community and The Office to try to trick people into watching it but overall it was a massive failure. I actually found myself seeking out old reruns of Sanford and Son on TVLand as a viable option to this badly written show. And just so you know… I really tried to like Perfect Couples but it just wasn’t funny. The dynamic between the characters was awful and no matter how hard I try I can’t bring myself to like Olivia Munn.