American Idol's Top 12 Gals Perform: Vote for Your Favorite, and Tell Us Who Needs to Go!

In the words of the great philosopher Kool: “Oh yes it’s ladies’ night, and the feeling’s right. Oh yes it’s ladies’ night, oh what a night.” Or to put it another way, the top 12 women of American Idol‘s tenth season just brought it to the big stage, and now we’re faced with the tough work of advancing a quintet to the finals, while forcing the other seven to walk the reality TV plank. Somehow it doesn’t seem fair, does it?

Check out the full setlist for tonight’s show below, then vote in our polls for your favorite and least favorite. (I’m rather partial to the one whose name rhymes with Thia, but is not Thia, as well as the chick with the rogue/silent ‘h’ in her first name, but need to give ’em all another listen before I completely make up my mind.) With that in mind, I’ll  save the rest of my opinions for my full episode recap, which will publish overnight right here at [Update: The full recap is liiiive!] Until then, feel free to hit the comments and sound off on which contestants impressed you, which ones fell flat, and which ones you feel didn’t get a chance to show their true potential. And for all my Idol coverage, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

Tatynisa Wilson: Rihanna’s “Only Girl (In The World)”
Naima Adedapo: “Summertime” (from Porgy and Bess)
Kendra Chantelle: Christina Aguilera’s “Impossible”
Rachel Zevita: Fiona Apple’s “Criminal”
Karen Rodriguez: Mariah Carey’s “Hero”
Lauren Turner: Etta James’ “Seven Day Fool”
Ashthon Jones: Monica’s “Love All Over Me”
Julie Zorrilla: Kelly Clarkson’s “Breakaway”
Haley Reinhart: Alicia Keys’ “Fallin”
Thia Megia: Irene Cara’s “Out Here On My Own” (from Fame)
Lauren Alaina: Reba McEntire’s “Turn on the Radio”
Pia Toscano: The Pretenders’ “I’ll Stand By You”

Loading video...

Loading video...

Loading video...

Loading video...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. sara says:

Pia was horrendous – screechy and completely off key. The judges gave her a standing ovation because why exactly…?

The judging panel is severely missing Simon. These 3 are far too willing to bow to the pimping orders of Nigel.

• Shari says:

You need to get yourself something better than mono to listen with if you though she was off key. You don’t like her just because the judges do. It happens every year. People like to vote for the underdog not the one the judges like.

• Ablo says:

Guys — being on or off key isn’t a matter of opinion. You can like someone who is off key — you might even like that better than someone who is on key — who would you rather listen to Bob Dylan or Donny Osmond? But liking something doesn’t change whether or not he/she is on key. And while I don’t dislike Pia — she strayed from the key — and she had a number of squeaky moments. That’s what I was getting at below about Thia — everyone has a right to like or not like her. But she wasn’t perfectly on pitch — that just isn’t accurate.

• darcy's evil twin says:

“who would you rather listen to Bob Dylan or Donny Osmond?”

Okay, THAT made me laugh! :-)

Can I vote to listen to Donny Osmond sing Bob Dylan songs?

• sara says:

huh?? you need to get yourself to a hearing specialist, she was painfully screetchy and off key. Perhaps you should try listening for yourself and stop believing someone is good simply because the judges are pimping them to such a laughable degree.

• flutiefan says:

agreed. she was quite sharp.
      definitely not the best of the night by far.

• Definetly not the best but very very good. I thought Pia is definetly Top 5 girls worthy. I think the judges might have gotten caught up in the moment. I think Pia, Lauren A and Karen are locks, the other 2 slots can go to Naima, maybe Kendra. It’s a tough decision. Should be interesting tomorrow.

• Bdubbs says:

I agree, she was definitely pitchy. I think Lauren Alaina really stood out.

• Snsetblaze says:

And I thought she was terrible and looked terrible. Lauren Turner, who has not been pimped, blew her off the stage.

• tvlover44 says:

couldn’t agree more! i powervoted for lauren turner – she’s the one that i thought, man – i’d buy her record, right now.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Hey, Snsetblaze, I loved Lauren Turner tonight as well. Her song choices are interesting and her rendition of Etta James’ “Seven Day Fool” didn’t disappoint me.

• JR says:

I thought I was crazy and the only one that found her performance less than stellar and yes off key. Definitely not worthy of a standing ovation. The judges were way too nice overall, especially J.Lo and Steven, with Randy actually being the voice of reason. Lauren Alaina was the only one to stand out to me and I’m picking her as the early favorite to go all the way, on the girls side at least.

2. MEL31602 says:

I actually thought Pia was overrated- she was very good but if anyone deserved a standing ovation it was the girl whose name IS Thia. On another site everyone is complaining about the poor performances but the only ones I really didn’t care for were TaTynisa, and Haley. Naima was better than Randy said but not as good as the other two judges said. Kendra was great. Rachel sang well but her style is not really for me. Karen sounded kareoke and I’m surprised she got so much praise. Lauren T. has great potential but I didn’t like the song. Asthton is not my thing but I admit she is very good. Julie has a great voice but picked the wrong song. Lauren Alaina was overpraised as usual.

So my top five would be Thia, Pia, Lauren T., and Kendra and my fifth spot would probably go to Julie based on prior performance.

• Ablo says:

Honestly, I thought Thia was awful. So out of tune.

• Tekkie says:

• brandy says:

Agreed! I threw a pillow at the TV when Steven said something about her pitch being perfect.

And I LOVED Rachel. Most interesting one of the bunch, in my opinion. I want her in the top 12 so badly.

• Snsetblaze says:

I thought Randy said Thia’s pitch was perfect. It wasn’t. It was far off several times. Not the worst performance (that was Tatanisa who should never have made the top 24) but not one of the top ones either.

• Maple Syrup says:

I thought Thia was as flat as my granny’s buttermilk pancake.

• Q says:

take the sh*t out of your ears, and you’ll realize she sounded great.

• Noel Lewis says:

THANK YOU. Thia has good tone, yes, but she was barely on pitch at the beginning, and then was barely hanging ON pitch for the last 60% of the song. Steven Tyler seriously needs a hearing aid or something. I usually like his comments, but he was way off in terms of pitch analysis . . .

• Sally in Chicago says:

This is the best crop of girls in a long long while…anybody remember Megan Joy? That’s what I mean…these girls can SING and they work the stage.

My faves: Ashton, the two Laurens, Naima (she was sure different), Karen Rodriguez.
      Should go: Tataina — sorry but she just seems to pick the wrong songs and goes into meltdown mode. Julie Z and Zavita.

It’s going to be tough. Good night, every entertaining.

3. Leigha says:

I’m not as excited as Michael about the girls performances tonight. Thought Randy was the only voice of reason. Loved Pia’s performance, though. Anyone else think Kendra looks and sings like Sophie B. Hawkins? And Rachael looks like a younger, smaller Dita Von Tesse. Wish they could use both wild card spots for the guys.

• dbaj says:

Its CRAAAAZY….Randy, the only voice of reason!!! It only took 10 seasons for him to step up! And Steven Tyler is the Ellen Degeneres of this season. Everyone sings “beautiful” to him. Can barely say anything negative! I had so much hope for him based on the last few weeks….

• Suncatcher says:

Tyler is nobody’s fool. He was tough when he had to be when they were on the road. Now the selection is up to the audience. He can wear the white hat from now on. However, he will – and did – say something if someone is r-e-a-l-l-y bad. It’s still his reputation.

PS – I thought all but 2 of the ladies were shockingly off key last night. It was like we were listening to different folks altogether! Only consistent one last night was Lauren Alaina (and I can’t stand her).

4. Christina says:

What was Julie thinking singing Breakaway? She went from a sure thing to a nothing with that. On the other end Pia went from fodder to a sure thing with her performance. And the one who really needs to go is Rachel. I didn’t even recognize that her song was criminal because she destroyed its identity.

• darclyte says:

I agree. Julie was one of my favs. Not only did I like her singing, but I found her to be the most attractive (it IS a tv show too.) So, I was expecting her to make the Top 5, but she was awful. Bad song choice. Like a couple of the guys last night, she chose a song that “wasn’t her.” I’m not sure who was the worst, Julie, Ta-Tynisa, or Rachel.

If I had to pick the Top 5, just from the performances shown tonight only, my Top 5 would be: Naima, Lauren Turner, Pia, Thia, and Ashthon. For the “wild card” I’d probably take Kendra.

Up until tonight, I haven’t liked Thia at all. Heck, up until tonight, I had no idea who Lauren Turner was. She may look and seem like a young Bette Midler, but NOBODY has really seen her on AI, and I’m sorry but being a “young Bette Midler” probably isn’t going to get too many votes from men and young tweenie girls. Still, she had one of the best performances of both nights. Naima wasn’t perfect, and was a bit “theatrical,” but it worked for her and that song. Loved the dress, and if she stays I hope she sticks with dresses like this yellow one and the blue one from when she made the Top 24, and stays away from the African and Jamaican inspired dresses. I don’t think those will win her fans with “middle America.” Pia looked great and sang well. Ashthon had a nice combo of voice and sass. When Lauren “The Chosen One” Alaina decided to speak up, she seemed like she was a bit “spoiled” or “entitled” to be able to speak, whereas Ashthon’s “spunkiness” came through in her song and when she was “sassy” after, it was playful banter with Ryan and the judges…not “entitlement.” Kendra did pretty well and seems to have potential to show us more. I will say that I like her “tenor” tones much better than her “soprano” tones. When she goes up, it almost gets grating (and was when she sang “Blackbird” in Vegas.)

I’m just bummed that my “eye candy” Julie “Gorilla” Zorrilla pretty much flopped tonight. I guess I’ll have to turn my eyes to Pia, and my ears to Casey who is STILL my overall fav.

5. James says:

I thought Haley was the best of the night and brought back “Sexy” to the idol stage. I also agree that Pia was average at best in her song…6 / 10

• stevenjaba says:

Oh my gosh- I thought Haley’s performance was one of the worst I’ve ever seen on the Idol stage. She was like her very own SNL skit.

• CoCo says:

What? I voted Haley for the worst of the night. She was so overperforming and oversinging.

Naima was the best, followed by the two Laurens.

• kellybelly says:

Ta-tynisa & Julie Zorrilla were thee worst of the night. Julie totally butchered “Breakaway” so much so that I didn’t even know what she was singing until Randy said the name. Wrong song,bad peformance and she was flat most of the time,and she’s a robot — no feeling.

Best was Kendra and Lauren Turner.

My Top 5: Kendra, Lauren Turner, Lauren Alaina, Naima, Karen and my wild card is…..maybe Haley or Rachel . Yes Rachel. Cause she has a great voice and is totally unique and definitely entertaining. LOL

• Haley's Comet Crashed says:

LOL @ SNL skit!

Haley’s performance dripped with dreadful.

• simmy says:

Am I the only one who noticed Haley’s nip slip?

• kellybelly says:

Ta-tynisa and Julie were the worst of the night. Julie totally butchered “Breakaway”. Wrong song choice, poor performance, bad vocals, off key, wrong key, fakey emotion and performance style.

Kendra rocked it along with Lauren Turner.
      My Top 5:
      Kendra, Lauren Turner, Lauren Alaina, Naima, Karen and wild card:
      Pia or Haley or Rachel. (yes rachel cause she’s different, can sing her ass off, and always performs)

6. Logistics says:

Lauren Turner is the dark horsemof s10. Mark my words. Shes a force.

• Me says:

Big fan of Lauren Turner here too even though I didn’t think tonight was her best effort. She is so real compared to some of the others. That genuine quality also comes through in her singing which is earthy and fresh. I hope she makes the cut so we can hear more from her. Opening night on the big stage is a tough gig. A lot of the contestants don’t have their best stuff.

• GingerSnap says:

Oh yea. Lauren T is the hidden jewel in the crown.

• Marta says:

I’m not quite sure if this is her— but neo-soul is VERY marketable right now (Winehouse, Adele, older Alicia Keys, Janele Monae)– if she kinda channeled that genre I think it could do wonders for her in the competition. I also get a bluesy rock vibe from her, too. Whatever it is- I hope she finds a voice in this competition! I’m rootin’ for her!

• darcy's evil twin says:

Marta – I think Lauren Turner is the Real Deal. Her “sing for your life” song choice was “Steal Away”, a traditional spiritual. I found that to be a VERY risky selection but she did a wonderful job.

• em says:

Lauren T…..definitely my favorite of the night!

• Snsetblaze says:

My favorite of the night. I hope she gets through. Would love to see her do something from Susan Tedeschi, Bonnie Raitt (not “I Can’t Make You Love Me” because that’s been done on the show to death), Grace Potter and the Nocturnals or Amy Winehouse.

7. Tekkie says:

I want my money back! I didn’t like any of the performances at all. I’m only 37 but feel like I need geritol after all those old fashioned contrived karaoke performances. My votes will be going to the guys this year. I miss Crystal already! BOW ER SOX! BOW ER SOX!

• Lizbeth says:

I miss Crystal too. She is a thousand time better than any girl that sang tonight. You could feel Crystal when she sang. Plus, she had such beautiful vocal quality. She knew when to power it and when not to go there. True artist

Most of these girls my have some technical chops–but very robotic–including Pia.

• CoCo says:

I miss Crystal too. It’s funny how last year she blended in too much and this year she’d be a refreshing shot of real and raw in a sea of mellisma.

• Idololdie says:

That’s exactly what I was thinking tonight….I miss Crystal Bowersox! She blows them all away with not just her vocal talent, but also with her artistry and authenticity.

8. Sam says:

I would hate to enrage the Slezak, but I actually love Thia’s performance tonight. While some girls were hitting all-time lows with pop songs (*ahem* Julie *cough*), she really brought it with a very non-Idol performance. I also loved Rachel Zevita, again, a very non-Idol performance. Lauren Alaina and Haley Rinehart need to go away stat.
    My only worry is that Naima and Kendra won’t get in because they went pretty early in the show.

• SpyKi says:

The two best do not need to go away.

• Q says:

Yeah, Thia was great. Slezak is simply being an asshole, and I don’t know why. I don’t know what that girl did to him to make him pick on her on EVERY SINGLE write-up about the girls. There were so many worse performances tonight.

9. Vetle says:

This will be HARD!

Some girls did amazing tonight. Personally, I think at least two girls deserves a wildcard, maybe even THREE of them.

Deserves to go through:

Pia (she sang her butt off)
    Naima (I liked how she did a jazzy version of Summertime)
    Lauren T. (I loved her, and Randy was spot on (with the blues soul vibe))
    Lauren A. (sorry folks, but she did sing well)
    Kendra (I’m not sure though. It’s a toss up between Kendra and Thia – I hate to say it, but Thia did well – I loved the a cappella vibe too)

Those who probably will make it:

Lauren A.
    Haley (ughhh. she did well, but I hate her voice)
    Naima/Kendra or Karen.

Greatest disappointment: RACHEL ZEVITA. :(

10. Tamara says:

Was I the only one who didn’t like Lauren A’s performance? Maybe I just didn’t like her song choice. My faves tonight were Haley, Lauren T., Naima, and Kendra. Pia was OK, but I didn’t think she was as great as the judges made her out to be.

• MEL31602 says:

You could hear that Lauren A. has talent but the song didn’t really do much to show it off

• GingerSnap says:

Well, let’s say that I think she is middle of the pack. I rank her about 7th or 8th out of the top 12 ladies. If she doesn’t make the top 5, I see the judges using a wild card on her. The problem is, there are more intriguing singers this season. If I had to choose between her and Kendra or Karen, my vote would be Kendra/Karen.

It’s going to be a tough cut, but there some great talent among the ladies.

• Sally in Chicago says:

Lauren A has a bright future. Believe me, she’s already got a record contract already signed somewhere. Don’t worry about her.

• GingerSnap says:

Uh, I think most of us aren’t concerned about her future. It would be a shame if she’s awarded a spot that should go to one of the other ladies.

• Snsetblaze says:

No you weren’t the only one that disliked her performance. She looked terrible (every other girl attempted to dress up). The song wasn’t great and she did hit some bum notes. And her performance style comes off as much too old for her (so did her flirting with Ryan). It just has a Lolita vibe to it.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Why in the world Lauren Aliana picked a Reba McIntyre song is beyond me. Reba is a vocal powerhouse and Lauren Aliana doesn’t support her notes consistently. I’ll give her credit because she is only 16 but she doesn’t deserve to hang around long, IMO.

11. l says:

My Top Five Are: Lauren A, Pia , Karen, Naima, and Thia.

I also liked Lauren T and Kendra.

12. jef says:

Overall underwhelmed I’m sorry to say. I had hoped a girl would win this year but based on tonite it’s looking pretty grim.

The best performances imo were Alaina T and Pia.

The other Alaina was overpimped as usual.

13. agrimesy says:

I took notice of Thia . . . the acapella portion got to me.

I wanted to like Haley but her “you are entitled to your opinion” comment to Randy ruined it.

Lauren T was okay but there’s a strangled quality to her voice that irritates me.

I voted for Kendra! I didn’t even remember her from Hollywood week! I was like, “Who’s this?” But, I liked her voice a LOT!

IDEK . . . I’m so confused about the girls. I wanted more.

14. Mary says:

I actually enjoyed most of the show. My top 5 are Pia,Lauren T, Thia,
    Namia, and Lauren A. I thought Thia voice was much better than the chosen one, but Lauren did work the stage tonight. I hate to admit it but I agreed with Randy on a couple of his remarks. I thought Jennifer did a good job helping where the contestants were off. I’m still on the fence with Steven, I kinda thought he would be more forth coming on his critiques.

15. Davey says:

To be honest, the two performances I liked the best were Naima and Thia.

There was some good singing tonight but there was also a lot of screaming, hand movements, and lounge performances. Karen was something out of a beauty pageant from 50 years ago.

I can see Lauren A is talented but I don’t like her personality at all and why does she dress like a mess?

Pia was good but not standing ovation great.

Rachel looked lovely tonight. Too bad her song was awful.

I thought most of the song choices were terrible.

Having said that, most of the women were 10X more exciting than last year.

• Amy says:

I thought pageant on Karen also. Great voice, but movements and style so Miss America.
      FF’wd Lauren A. I like that Reba song and she wasn’t about to spoil it for me.
      Enjoyed everyones performances that I listened to. No awful singers, which makes the cuts harder.
      1. Kendra – great talent
      2. Julie – like her attitude, wish she’d connect like on Beatles night
      3. Ashton – didn’t like her attitude, but loved her voice.

16. Becky says:

Standing O? I listened twice. Didn’t stand up once.

America votes to move on:
    Lauren Alaina (did you notice how she was moved to the center of the stage at the end when all 24 were gathered. Thank you, Captain Obvious.)
    Lauren Turner (a well deserved top-5 spot, IMO)
    Naima Adedapo (because she’s beautiful and sings well. This performance was a bit lounge-singer, as Randy correctly pointed out.)
    Thia Megia (Who would buy music sung by this child? Not me, but the judges won’t allow her to go home)
    Pia Toscano (last one to sing, judges on their feet, done deal).

If one of the wild cards has to be a girl, the judges will see that Haley Reinhart gets another chance.

17. susan says:

Loved Naima. She’s the only one that will make me really bummed if she goes.

• Me says:

Agreed on Naima, but she really needs to tone down the on-stage histrionics. So distracting! Great talent though.

18. Sarah says:

Personally, I thought they were all horrible. It was like a bad karaoke party. At least Thia was on perfect pitch throughout her song. Most of these girls just seem like they are entitled to be there, when none of them are that good. Here’s hoping for a boys race this season!

• Ablo says:

If you have DVR, go back and listen to Thia — her pitch was in no way perfect. There were cringing notes in there — one at the end required the mute button. Now, I realize she’s only 15 — and clearly she has some talent, but that wasn’t very good. I hate that they lowered the age — maybe in a couple of years she would be ready.

The performances were weak throughout the whole show. Some were better than others, but overall that wasn’t a good night.

BTW — really bad judging tonight. Is this what we have to look forward to this season?

• Ruby says:

No. You’re flat wrong. You must be one of those people who thinks they can sing but actually sounds like a drowning cat if your ear is that bad. Sorry, but Thia was astonishing, period.

• Snsetblaze says:

No, Ablo is right. Thia was quite off in places – though she was not the worst of the night. I actually still have the record from the original Fame movie and know that song really well. And no, I have no illusions that I am a singer but I also know I don’t sound like a drowning cat. And if you read all the postings, most people so far have found that she was off.

• Marta says:

I kinda got certain whiffs of entitlement (one of my least favorite human traits) tonight– especially from Rachel and Haley during their critiques. Beyond what I thought was a valiant effort on Pia’s part, I get a pretty gracious vibe from her— and that goes a long way in this competition. You gotta be able to take both praise and critiques like a grown-up….

• DC says:

RRRRRRRRRRROOOOWWWW, here kitty kitty

19. Me says:

Best of Show goes to…

Lauren Alaina! That girl at half throttle is better than most of the girls at full throttle. She is maybe a little too Kelly Clarkson, but she is who she is, there’s no sense of pretension to her. The singing is great and she’s got personality too. Outstanding Performance!

• GingerSnap says:

Well, we already have Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood. How’s she gonna separate herself as a distinct artist if she’s a blonde copy cat? If I want Carrie Underwood, I want the real thing. Let’s see how she does when she has sing things outside of her comfort zone.

• Bdubbs says:

I agree 100% and I don’t even listen to country music – she’s by far the best female in this competition.

20. annab says:

I actually really, really enjoyed Rachel’s performance. It was fun, and exciting, and made me want to listen. Was it the best version of Criminal? No. Was it kind of Broadway – yes, but so is Glee, and those songs are certainly doing ok for themselves on itunes these days… The contrast with Karen following was ridiculous – so pageant-y, boring, and I really almost felt like the Spanish was pandering to that demographic.

My favorites tonight were Kendra, Pia, Rachel, Lauren A. and Naima.

• Snsetblaze says:

Agree with this statement. And the Spanish was pandering since it is the fastest growing demo in the nation.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Honestly, I liked Karen Rodriguez’s “Una prensa para Ingles, pulse dos para Espanol” version of “Hero”. I’m a sucker for good old fashioned singing! In any language. I thought her voice had a lovely quality.

And Rachel…oh my. I will give her credit for changing nearly everything about “Criminal”, but the beat and unique phrasing are what make the song so interesting.

21. Elena says:

I saw Pia singing “Bleeding Love” on youtube about two weeks ago and I was blown away. I knew then that she could win this entire thing. She’s a lock for the top 5. Picking the other 4 isn’t as simple because the talent is so deep this year.

I’d say the other 4 are: Lauren Alaina (she really is adorable but I’m beyond sick of the pimping), Thia (though she has been a little bland so far), Lauren Turner and Naima (because she’s so colorful and brings something different). Karen was awesome as well and I thought the Spanish singing was a brilliant move. Still, there was something very pageant-like about her dress and performance. I’m not sure how that will go over.

The absolute worst was Tatynisa. Cute girl, cute dress but the voice did nothing for me. Kendra’s good but I don’t think she stands apart from the rest. I really had a WTH moment with Rachel. Part of me applauded her and another part thought she tried too hard. I was totally stunned by how poorly Julie performed (poor song choice, poor vocals). I thought she was a shoo-in and I wouldn’t be surprised if she receives the Wild Card because the judges love her. Ashthon was too divalicious. IOW, her overconfidence may turn people off. It did for me. Haley sang the best she ever sang but still, something about her annoys me. Maybe it’s the excessive growling. Maybe it’s because she reminds me of Taylor Swift and I’m really not a fan. Wild Card prediction: Karen or Julie but I’d prefer Karen without a doubt.

22. stevenjaba says:

I can’t wait to hear what Michael has to say about Haley. Someone from SNL should repeat her performance as a skit – no embellishments needed. It was one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever seen on the Idol stage.

23. sara says:

Thia has an amazing voice for a 15 yr old. She has my vote

24. Lilly says:

Most of the performers were good tonight, only two people really stumbled, Julie and Rachel. I will say that too many of the ladies acted like they thought they were on Broadway or doing a cabaret performance. The standouts were Thia, Lauren Turner, Naima, Pia, and Karen. Aston has a beautiful voice, but she picked the wrong song to showcase it.

The ladies mopped the floor with the guys, and all three wildcards should come from tonight. At the least, two of the wildcards should be women.

• Coco says:

No, the guys were much better, more unique. The girls started to blend together after awhile.

• antidisestablishmentarianism says:

Only Casey Abrams, Jacob Lusk, and — much as I hate to admit it — James Durbin — did anything special last night. I think that Tim Halperin has a lot of potential but he really laid an egg on opening night.

The girls OTOH were ready to go and at least half of them are excellent singers. I would have to agree Lilly that this is the girl’s year by a mile.

25. Ali says:

I think the one giant cut from 24 to 12 is a big mistake. There have been a few eventual front-runners/standouts from previous seasons that didn’t quite establish themselves as such until a couple of weeks into semifinals (Bowersox, David Cook..). Not that I was outright against the extra Hollywood eps, but I don’t think it’s worth sacrificing our ability to witness more of what they can bring in front of the live studio audience. This seems far too abrupt; almost unsettling that the first decision in “America’s hands” is now so consequential and based on assessing these first awkward, jittery performances when almost no one has found their groove yet. Sure, it’s easy enough to weed out one or two you know can’t hack it, but half? And not to put it all on the contestants, it doesn’t seem like the judging or production is the necessary caliber at this point either. (Is it just me or was something not quite right with the sound in these last two episodes?…. like the vocals were somewhat muted and band was overpowering.) It just seems off….we need a transition period! Anyway, let’s face it; votes will more likely depend on impressions/cult favorites formed from what we saw (correction….what we were allowed to see) in earlier episodes. Who knows, maybe that’s by design but I would prefer not to lose the potential for a dark horse to sneak through and end up surprising us down the line.

• Marta says:

You’ve summed up my feelings on the 24 down to 12 (or is it 13?) format perfectly! Appreciative golf-clap for you, Ali!

• annab says:

Well said. Although I think Crystal was a frontrunner from Hollywood week, before the live shows. It certainly did take David Cook a few weeks to break out. I’d like to see one or two before totally making up my mind. It sounds like that’s what we are kind of getting with the wild card round next week…but only kind of – very high-pressure! And I think they usually start off with smaller, more intimate non-full-band venues, which is why so many performances have been getting swallowed up this week. I too wondered if the sound was totally off!

• Sandy says:

Well said.

• ladyhelix says:

It does seem abrupt to loose so many, and I know being on the big stage for the first time is nerve-wracking.

But with one or two exceptions (which is what wild card is for) the contestants performed pretty much as expected tonight, and their weak spots weren’t new and probably aren’t going to change. Granted some of our past winners weren’t front-runners out of the gate – but NONE of them “tanked” in the first audience/live shows (these shows aren’t even live yet).

Between last night and tonight – I can honestly say there are at least 10 contestants I don’t EVER need to hear again. Taking 3 more weeks to get rid of them all would be painful.

• Ruby says:

I agree. And I also hate that it has to be equal boys and girls. There are a LOT of great guys that are going to get cut this year for mediocre girls, and that just plain sucks.

• Snsetblaze says:

You hit it on the head. And since its one of the most watched tv shows, wouldn’t you think Fox would want to put an extra week or two of the show on the air so we could see a lot of the contestants during Hollywood week and allow us to pare them down gradually. Ok, maybe not in 4s as in the past (perhaps 6 and 6 or 7 and 7 to allow the judges to bring in the wild cards).

• forrest says:

It’s all about scheduling and hitting the ratings period in May for the finale. Fixed number of shows, but I do think there could have been a more amicable cut down method – Instead of this drastic cutdown after 1 performance, have 2 or 3 go home per week instead of 1. I think this would allow for an extended hollywood week and allow the best to find thier voice by weeks 3 and 4. Just a thought for future seasaons IMHO.

26. NedPepper says:

According to the new judges, everyone is wonderful and deserves a gold star! (Except Rachel…who actually dared to DO something tonight and take a chance.) Tonight was painful. We have two Ellens and a Randy…I never wanted to say this, but I miss Simon. Even Kara. Yeesh.

• Simon Says says:

I super miss Simon. Steven and JLo are just seat-warmers. They offer no true guidance to these kids.

• forrest says:

so with J.Lo the mold has been cast. The harshest thing she’s going to say is, “You were fantastic, but next time I expect you to do better……” Wow. Steven’s mic was obviously cued tonight to when Randy tossed it to him and not before. Randy, the voice of reason? Who would’ve thunk it. No, this is a different show without Simon. We just have to accept that.

27. andrea says:

I love Lauren Turner. I like Naima.

I thought Julie and Rachel blew it big time with awful performances and weird song arrangements

Don’t care enough about any of the others to comment

28. antidisestablishmentarianism says:

Someone needs to do some work on posting process here.

For each post we need to plug in not only a name but an e-mail address too? And then once posted, not returned to the comment made? Very clunky.

• antidisestablishmentarianism says:

Weird, that time I was returned to the post. Oh well, it still needs some work.

• Erica says:

Maybe this wouldn’t bother you so much if your name was shorter :)

• antidisestablishmentarianism says:

This is getting spooky. When I pressed “reply” this time it popped up with both my name, e-mail address, and previous comment, all filled in and ready to go.

At any rate, I don’t type my name out each time. Have a way around that.

Is there any way to edit a post also? Don’t see that if there is.

29. Sandy says:

Naima was my fave of the night. I was not looking forward to another rendition of “Summertime” but she surprised me with an upbeat take on it and her voice soared. I agreed with Randy that it was “loungey” but I don’t think that’s a bad thing.

Thia also surprised me. I never realized how pure and clear her tone is until she started her song tonight a capella (or at least almost). This was my fave pure vocal of the night.

I hope these two make it through along with Kendra and the Laurens.

Really wanted to like Ta-tynisa and Haley (love her growl) but didn’t like them as much as I wanted to.

30. marie says:

My top 5 is surprisingly easy: in NO particular order: Lauren, Lauren, Ashthon, Thia, and Pia. With Naima as wild card based on previous weeks.

31. Gaier says:

Ugh, I didn’t like anyone, same as last night. I’m not even sure why we will already be to the Top Ten. I sure would like to hear Simon’s comments on this group.

32. Joe says:

First impressions?
    The last 3, Thia, Lauren A. and Pia were the best. Pia was amazing. I don’t know what show most of you were watching who are complaining above. I think a lot of you get too caught up in what people look like and dismiss them. The voices of the 3 three were amazing. I counted 8 girls who deserved to go through. The three mentioned above, Karen, Ashthon, Lauren T, Haley and Kendra all were very good tonight and deserve spots. There’s more talent in the girls than the boys hands down.
    The way I see it only 1 of Kendra/Haley makes it and it will probably be Haley because she’s more memorable even though Kendra is a better singer. Karen will probably slip through the cracks and not make the show. Lauren T will either get voted in or will be a wild card. I’m almost expecting that the final 12 (or 13) will have 7 girls in it. The talent is on the female side of the competition big time.
    Rachel was horrid. I know the type that likes her. You like her cause she’s so quirky. But that performance was a mess. If she sang that song straight she would have crushed it and gotten into the top 10 without a doubt. With that arrangement? She ended her idol run.
    Julie whiffed big time. I think so big that she will not get a wild card save from J. Lo.
    Naima isn’t likable. Middle America won’t vote for her.
    The first girl was terrible too.
    Right now I can see a battle of the teenagers shaping up in the finals between Thia and Lauren A. Lauren A may be annoying, but she killed it tonight and deserves all the praise she gets.

• Sandy says:

Naima seems pretty likable to me. I thought she came off nice when talking to Ryan and very gracious when facing the judges, even when hearing negative feedback from Randy. Of course “likability” is more than a little subjective, so I can’t say if most people saw it that way.

• Joe says:

Sandy, Fair point. Likability is subjective. I know, for me, there’s something off putting about her. I also get that from Julie Zorilla. The rest of the contestants don’t rub me the wrong way like those 2 seem to.

• hooch says:

Yeah there is something off with Julie for sure. Why would she wear that barbie pageant dress and then sing a kelly clarkson coming of age song? She seems out of touch with reality almost.

• Joe says:

Julie strikes me as the type of girl who wants it so badly, thinks she deserves it, is used to getting it, but doesn’t really know why. She has talent and drive, but she doesn’t have heart. If you said that to her or her family, they would no doubt tell you she’s all heart, but I think she wants to be famous and put on a pedestal more than she wants to make music. There’s something cold and calculating that you see visibly on her face and in her performances. I’m sure she’s a nice girl in real life, but when the spotlight is on her you see through her a bit. She doesn’t connect.

• Katillac says:

I agree with most of what you said, but don’t understand why you think Naima isn’t likable. Also wasn’t as crazy about Lauren A as you were.

• Snsetblaze says:

Yes, I agree. Naima is very likable. I don’t find Lauren A. likable at all (Lauren T on the other hand … I love although we have seen very little of her personality).

• CatwithaC says:

I agree. I don’t care for Lauren A’s personality at all. She turned me off on group week with her pandering to Steven. To me, Julie seems like the girl who was the star of her schools musicals and prom queen and thinks she’s the best thing since sliced bread. I think Thia is adorbale, considering her age, she seems so poised and very humble! Pia was good, but in no way deserving of a Standing O, if anyone should of gotten a standing O, it should of been one of the guys last night. Jacob and Casey were both amazing!

33. Shari says:

Can both wild card spots be given to a female? I would go with 7 girls and 5 guys in the top 12. My pics Pia, the two Laurens, Ashthon, then there are about three others that could get in . I liked Naima before but can’t help remembering Fantasia belting that song off the planet. Don’t pick a song somebody else has done unless you do it MUCH better. Especially don’t pick a Kelly song unless you have power. Thia has a nice voice good tone, but I haven’t heard much of a range from her. You just wait for somebody to be able to go from soft to full throttle and know when to do it and when to hold back. All in all I say the girls beat the guys. Pia will lose some votes just because the judges liked her. Not fair but look what happened to Daughtry.

• GingerSnap says:

It takes a lot of courage to open your song accapella. If you’re flawed at all in your performance, people will hear it. I don’t see Thia as a belt-it-out full throttle singer. She’s always going to be more comfortable with a jazz/blues style (Diana Krall). The great thing is she seems to know who she is as an artist at 15, and she’s got a unique tone to her voice that makes her interesting. She makes my top 5 because I’m intrigued with the possibilities of her vocal talent.

• Ablo says:

I wish instead of going to top 12 they would go to top 5. 3 guys, 2 girls. That was such a painful night that the thought of listening to 5 to 7 of them again is discouraging. However — not to be completely pessimistic — people do grow on the show, and they might be better next week. And one hopes the coaches will be working iwth them.

• Ali says:

Yeah, in some cases I feel it’s unfair to compare current contestants with previous ones (like when it’s just based on their age, looks, or style). However, in other cases (Naima, Julie) it’s unavoidable. I was so with Randy when he brought up the Fantasia & Kelly mentions tonight. I mean in theory, one “should” be able to choose what to sing as they wish without prejudice. However, anyone familiar with the show is aware of those “magical moment” performances that cement the association of a particular song with a previous contestant/performance. You’re just begging for the comparison. And as for Kelly songs…again, you’re setting yourself up to underwhelm (unless I guess you completely change it up…but maybe not even then). You’re not gonna out-Kelly Kelly on a Kelly song.

34. Sally in Chicago says:

The cutdown to 12 is going to be tough to take. I would like all the girls (minus 3) to go forward. I don’t know what show the complainers saw, but I saw some polished performers tonight.

35. Amber says:

I just wish Ryan would stop asking people for their response to the judges criticism, when the judges have something negative to say. There’s not really a good response to that question, and it’s always just awkward and embarrassing for the contestant. They either come off as conceited or lacking in confidence.

36. AmericanIdolit says:

Rachel Zevita went the way of Robbie Rosen. She changed up the song (which takes balls) and unfortunately mangled it too much.

BTW, did anyone notice that the ONLY singer who didn’t get a standing O from her fellow female contestants was Julie Zorrilla? I know she sucked a big one tonight, but there seems to be something else behind that lack of respect for your peers. Julie must not be a nice girl, because there were other performances that didn’t deserve a standing O.

37. JayK says:

Rachel looked like a little girl playing dress up. I was embarrassed for her. Haley is hilarious – I loved the comment above about her being her own SNL skit. I thought Pia’s performance was the best of the night, but “unbelievable”?? Let’s dial it back ten or twelve notches, mmkay?

Still so disappointed with JLo and STy this week. What is the point of saying over and over again how great people are, when that’s neither useful nor true??

• Marta says:

YES! That is exactly my thought on Rachel too… Maybe its because we saw her audition a few season’s back when she was younger– but she still just seems like a little kid yearning for some recognition and approval. I also got that vibe from Haley. Not quite “grown into themselves” yet and trying to be a confident individual but deep down aiming to please above all else.

• Sandy says:

Yeah, the judges’ vibe is a little weird this week. Steven & Jennifer seemed more comfortable in the audition & Hollywood rounds. Now they’re starting to come off like celebrity guest judges who aren’t used to being critical. They’ll grow more comfortable as the season progresses (I hope).

I’ve actually heard Randy make some perceptive, helpful comments in past seasons, but it especially stands out now. He’s still not as brutally honest as Simon (and he doesn’t resort to snark and insults), but he at least brings a little bit of reality when the other two seem afraid to hurt any feelings.

Also, I’ve never liked the judges rotating the order with each performance. I prefer one set order like last night with the guys.

38. Erica says:

Yeah, I’m really mystified by the judges. What happened to the insightful critiques?

39. Rick says:

Am I the only person who noticed that this is the third time that Haley has performed “Fallen” on this show? She sang it for her audition, she sang it again as her “sing for your life” song, and now again tonight. I am sorry, but anybody who sings a song three times on this show needs to go regardless of how well they sing it. SING SOMETHING NEW! I think she is afraid too though because we all saw during Hollywood Week what happened when she drifted away from this song. Um, she sucked to put it lightly.

My favorite tonight was actually Lauren. I thought she had a good melodic tone to her voice (to steal a Steven Tyler phrase :P), she worked the stage well, she didn’t litter her song with too many runs, she hit all of the notes, and generally she was fun to watch and listen too.

40. Lizbeth says:

My fave of the night was probably Niama. She’s interesting. Nice voice.
    Thia (or her coach) was smart to have her sing without Bandzilla. I don’t really care for her voice–but at least she will be remembered and not over shadowed by that loud band and lousing sound mixing.

I really think that many of the girls seem pageant-like to me. Pia, Thia, Karen, Ashton, Haley and even Kendra somewhat. Some may have vocal chops and technical know-how, but I didn’t feel anything. It was very robotic or without soul.

Rachel tried to be different and it backfired–but she gave it a shot.
    Both Laurens did fine. The younger one does have a lot of raw talent and will get better with experience.

I felt very bad for Julie. I bet Nigel made her do that song.

Anyway, I don’t think any of them could hold a candle to Crystal from last season. That girl was so good. I am so sad that she is linked with the “worst” season ever on idol. She is one of the best talents in all the seasons of the show ever on that show.

• BOW-ER-SOX BOW-ER-SOX says:

Crystal indeed was one of the best talents of all time on Idol. Shortly after she sang “Natural Woman” during Hollywood Week, I heard Carole King sing this song live in concert——and I’ll have to say that Crystal outshined even the great Carole King.

41. brandon says:

42. Genie says:

Randy’s vocabulary is too limited and his scope is also too narrow to be the voice of reason. What he is is objective, he is not attached to the contestants (but he certainly has his favs). JLo and Steven are attached, they like these people and have watched and listened to them compete so they are looking at improvement as opposed to singing talent. They could use Randy’s objectivity but add some constructive critique, which is lacking. He’s just a bad communicator period, if he was good then I might say he is the voice of reason but I just can’t.

I looked at performance and vocals, although they didn’t put down their best vocals tonight I still choose Naima and Rachel. I also liked (but didn’t love) Kendra and Lauren (who needs a spark, a twinkle something, some fire, charisma maybe?), if Lauren had that something something she would have been best. Most of the rest were way over-rated but only one was bad,and she was baaaaaaad, Tatynisa. the rest in the words of Randy were just a’ight.

43. Sally in Chicago says:

Love Melinda! She needs to be a music teacher.

44. Linda says:

I adore Naima and so hope she makes it in. She’s interesting, beautiful, and I loved her version of “Summertime”.

I also got chill bumps when Thia sang … she looked so small and tiny and just stood so still and sang a capella …. I was really impressed with her and love the tone of her voice.

I also love Karen’s tone of voice but believe she should pick more unusual songs and make them her own.

Lauren T is very interesting …. I like her a lot.

As far as the two that seemed pimped so far …. Lauren A DOES have talent, but I’m finding that my favorite performance of hers was “Don’t Want to Miss a Thing” during her initial audition. I didn’t like her song choice or her performance tonight. She’s too cutesy for me … I just can’t force myself to vote for her.

And Pia …. I liked her a lot more before tonight. I thought that she was a little screechy at the end and you could hear her vibrato being forced on her last night. I also wasn’t moved emotionally by her performance. She’s a very good singer … but so far I haven’t felt touched by anything she’s done.

The one I’ll be most broken hearted to lose is Naima. I sure hope she stays for a long time.

45. Mamalambie says:

I liked Karen best tonite. But, loving the boys better…Go Casey!

46. hooch says:

Lauren T was good, im most excited about her, i hope she makes it through.
    i thought ta-tynisa and shockingly Julie were the worst. Randy was spot on – dont sing kelly if you can’t do it as well! You’re basically showing right out the gate you dont deserve it.

47. Sarah, not Sarah says:

I’m still in something of a state of shock over Rachel’s senseless butchering of ‘Criminal’. I didn’t even recognize it until we were halfway through the first verse despite the fact that it was one of the defining songs of my college years. What on Earth was that girl thinking?

I love-love-loved Karen’s take on ‘Hero’. Definitely my favorite of the night. The Spanish was a nice change up and she’s got a lovely smooth voice.

Second place definitely goes to Pia’s ‘I’ll Stand By You’, because I also love me some Chrissie Hynde, and I’m also rooting for Lauren T and Naima.

I really kind of loathe Lauren A. A lot. She sets my teeth on edge and has from the very producer-pimped beginning. But up until she went all country today, she’s been fronting more of a pop-rock vibe that is reminiscent of (but not as clearly committed to as) our beloved Ms. Iraheta who had me dialing my stubby little fingers off. I can’t decide if I really do dislike Lauren for being Lauren or if I’m giving her the short shrift because the producers drove me to it. If she’s going to go the country route I probably won’t worry about it overmuch, (the poppier stuff generally tends to turns me off – gimme old school Dolly any day,) but if she suddenly takes it into her head to cover Garbage or Florence + or even Pink, I may have to take a harder look at my motivations.

48. Jonathan says:

Snap judgment:
    1. Lauren Turner
    2. Kendra
    3. Lauren Alaina (though I won’t be voting for her yet)
    3. Naima and Haley tied
    4. Karen and Ashton tied — great vocals (espec. Karen), dull songs
    5. Pia (not sure why she’s getting so many votes above, it was ok)
    6. Julie (really disappointing tonight), Rachel (mannered and dead-eyed, she has sung way better than this before), Ta-Tynisa (major pitch problems)
    7. Thia. I suppose she did the song okay but I suspect she is incapable of singing with an actual band. And she’s overrated, lacks charisma.

49. Kevin C. says:

Excellent: Lauren A, Pia, Thia for the first half of her song.
    Very good: Lauren T, Kendra, Karen, Randy
    Decent: Naima, Ashthon, the second half of Thia’s song, Haley’s singing
    Pretty bad: Rachel, J. Lo, Steven
    Awful: Ta-Tynisa, Julie, Haley’s facial expressions (who ever knew ‘Fallin’ was so happy?), the general trend of “look at me, I’m doing a key change!” moments in these arrangements.

50. rochelle says:

the irony of rachel zevita singing criminal kills me because what she did to that great song should be illegal.

at least it was interesting though. unfortunately this episode was so boring i had to stop myself from changing the channel. good singing is not enough for season ten. why haven’t they figured this out yet?