Law & Order: SVU Scoop: Diane Neal Returns!

Onetime Law & Order: SVU ADA Diane Neal is returning to Law & Order: SVU this spring for one episode, sources confirm.

Neal’s five-year SVU stint came to an end in May 2008 when her character, Casey Novak, was disbarred for violating due process in a rape case. To this day she remains the show’s longest-serving ADA.

Neal most recently recurred on NCIS as Special Agent Abigail Borin.

1. Jackie says:

I wish they were bringing back Alex Cabot again instead!

2. Jared says:

F**K YEAH! YES YES YES!
    Oh, and it’s ADA CASEY NOVAK, not ADA Diane Neal. (Or rather it’s just Diane Neal, whatever)

3. Ashley says:

For one episode? Really? The way they treated her, I’m surprised she agreed. But she loves her fans and we love her, so that’s probably why. They better not pull what the pulled a couple weeks ago and bring her back to kill her or victimize her. I wish they’d bring her on regularly again. She was the best!

4. Mylène says:

I followed that link, full of anticipation and excitment and…. No, it’s Not Alex Cabot. Bummer. I really wish they’d bring her back and for more than one episode, too.

5. angela b says:

May I go wheeeeee? :)

6. Irritated New Yorker says:

Really, Neal Baer? After all the crap she has spread around town? I heard first hand what she has said. I can’t stand her. Give Stephanie March what she wants and bring her back instead. Diane Neal and her immature ways of talking about her co-stars in her “comedy” routine at Comix, ruined her for myself and a lot of people. She is so unprofessional and I can’t get past that.

• Jesslyn says:

It’s about the PERFORMANCE and CHARACTER. NOT about the PERSON. She’s a fan favorite. Period. Besides, are you not aware that comedians make fun of others for a living? Are you THAT jaded, Mr. Irritated New Yorker? Perhaps you’ve got the Empire State Building stuck up your bum. She’s well liked by the FANS, AND FRANKLY THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS BECAUSE WE ARE THE ONES WHO WATCH AND MAKE THIS A SUCCESSFUL SHOW.

• Bensss says:

First, I love how those who don’t want her back have the ability to be way more respectful than those who do.

Second, she hard core bashed her co-workers as a whole in her little comedy bit. She did get fired and has the right to be pissed but it has been going on 3 years now she need not be immature anymore and she did say that SVU blows and she clarified not ONE tweet later not even TWO but TEN tweets later after all the hate mail came in, she had to watch her own back. She also continued to trash talk SVU throughout her filming of NCIS in hidden ways but just out there enough everybody knew what she was doing. I do follow because I am a HUGE fan of this show and have been for 8 or 9 years now. I am so disappointed in her actions.

7. Lincoln says:

I’m so excited about this. Hands down, Ms. Neal is the best ADA SVU has ever seen. Certainly a step up from the ridiculous guest stars hired as ADAs.

8. SVUFan says:

WOW! What a let down! She blasted SVU and the actors all over twitter and has been bitter ever since being let go and they are letting her return? Won’t be watching her crybaby ass for that episode at all. She really can’t let things go. You should read her twitter sometime!

• Lincoln says:

She’s never actually blasted anyone specifically on the show. Which actor has she blasted? Do you have specific quotes? Research her Twitter feed. You’re spreading rumors AND you’re making misguided assumptions. She was sad and upset about her firing. She spoke out about it accordingly – like anyone would. You my friend ought to do some research on Mr. Dick Wolf. He is notoriously famous for being dificult and a pain in the ass. The two lead actors have gone up against him MANY MANY MANY times before. Facts before opinions, SVUFAN.

• dmso says:

Diane tweeted:

Let me clarify. SVU as a show does not blow, just my “leaving experience” if you can call it that. Still an amazing cast with great eps.

I’ve never seen her blast the cast. The only person she seems to have a problem with is showrunner Neal Baer.

• Alex says:

Thank you for that – clearly she did not blast the show, and just points out that the circumstances of her exit are what she had the problem with.

• teniba says:

then yes why are they bringing her back even for one ep if she is so unproffesional? I really wish they made room for her on NCIS though she was so funny as a female version of Gibbs

9. Alex says:

Wow! I never thought I’d see the day! This is fantastic!! Now I’ll actually watch SVU. I hope the episode wraps up her character in a better way, I hope Casey is all right. This should be an apology for her unceremonious firing and the AWFUL way in which her character, the longest A.D.A. in L & O, was crappily and disrespectfully written off.

10. Dirk says:

It’s been a while since I’ve continuously kept up with SVU, so don’t hate me if this question is obvious: Was she actually confirmed as being disbarred? Because if I recall the episode correctly (that I admittedly haven’t seen in a couple of years), disbarrment was only a possibility, not necessarily what would happen. They left the end of the episode a little vague.

But maybe it’s vague to me because years of TV watching has left me with that You-Don’t-Believe-It-Until-You-See-It syndrome. As anyone knows when watching serials, somebody isn’t dead unless you actually see them die. If it’s only hinted at, they’re probably still living somewhere.

• HGFM says:

In Confession (Season 10, episode 2) Kim Greyleck stated Novak had been disbarred. Under New York law, she can’t petition to be reinstated for 7 years after the disbarment. So we should see Novak back practicing law.
      But the writers for SVU have shown themselves adept at ignoring the laws in the real world.

11. giggity says:

Yeeeeeeeesssssssssss. #WeGotNovakBack. Best ada svu ever had. PERIOD.

• jeremy says:

Come on alex cabbot was the best ada ever casey made more mistakes then and lost more they any ada bring back ada alex

12. Nicole says:

So glad she’s back, can’t see stay longer than 1 episode?

13. Emily says:

Wow, are they really letting her come back? SVU must be really desperate for ratings – she’s done nothing but trash-talk SVU, she even tweeted that it sucked. Anger is understandable; she was fired. But she STILL rants about it, years later. It’s time for her to get over it. She’s extremely unprofessional and I’m surprised she’s still getting work. But, the way SVU’s been going, they’ll take just about anybody now.

• Josie says:

Emily, excuse me but she NEVER publicly said the show sucked. Never, ever. Before you start commenting with fabrication, get your story straight. It’s dangerous to make assumptions or create stories.

• Emily says:

You’re correct. She used ‘blows,’ not ‘sucks.’ My mistake. You can see the tweet in this screencap: http://bit.ly/g1kROT

• LDSK says:

And if you look up about 10 post you will see her clarification in which she says it was the firing experiance not the cast and Crew of SVU. No selective fact picking…tell the whole story please and get your facts straight.

• Emily says:

I left that part out because many of the SVU fans that follow her tweeted her after the previous tweet, getting mad at her for making that statement. She didn’t tweet the “clarification” of her own accord, she did it because she was receiving so many negative tweets and wanted to make herself look better.

• Alex says:

Wow, Emily, it’s amazing that you have the ability to read minds and know what Diane was thinking! <—-Sarcasm.

• Janny says:

Yet you read her twitters and take the time to post here several times defending your negative statements? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

14. Kris says:

I for one am excited to see Diane back on our TV screens as Casey Novak. Maybe now they can actually give her character a decent send-off with a lot of great courtroom scenes (which I hear the show has been seriously lacking). I also hope they give the fans some explanation as to the ‘disbarred’ comment that Greylek made, maybe she wasn’t really disbarred? lol.

Looks like I will now have to tune into this episode of SVU!

15. Nicole says:

This is Hollywood where quotes and misguided observers aka SVUFans can skew anything. I’m sure she’s not the first actor to make comments about her work environment. On a scale of 1 to 10 Charlie Sheen is a “10”, so that’d make her a what, -15 on the slander scale? What makes you think she’s always writing her own posts on twitter anyways? These people have layers of peeps working for them, assistants, publicists and the like. It wouldn’t surprise me if her people stirred up her twitter to get you all talking. Who is to say she approves every single one? Besides, any publicity is good publicity in Hollywood. It’s hard to make enemies in that town. We can’t act like we know her, who knows a celebrity? Most motives are professional, I’m sure her twitters was just positioning. Did she really do a show at a comedy club? Who knew she was funny!? If so, I’m sure she followed the rules ala Joan Rivers, Rosanne Barr, Kathy Griffin who do NOTHING but make jabs at their employers. Good for her! That doesn’t show lack of character! That shows a comedy formula followed for centuries. Guess it’s just too bad you paid to go and judge her instead of enjoying the ride. The haters sound like the same person rewriting their own comments over and over on this thread. Hmm, what bone do you have to pick? Is it personal?

16. Dwayne says:

I love her sexy lips! I stopped watching when she was off the show. It’s like they stopped working like the other Law & Order where they had the crime, the cops then the lawyers and the courts. they outta bring that girl back for good! I’d watch again! Hot! Hot! Hot!

17. JJ says:

I haven’t watched the show in 3 years but I will tune in again to see her!!!

18. caseylooooover says:

H3LL YEAH! :)
    I love Casey! She’s my favorite ADA. I hope she returns for good. I literally cried when she was disbarred.

19. dee123 says:

This is SVU people! they will probably bring her back to be either the victim or to be killed.

20. JaneK says:

I love the idea of Diane coming back BUT for just ONE EPISODE! NOO give us more!

21. Clarissa says:

YESS I loved Casey. Stopped watching when they got rid of her. I did stumble upon a little bit of an episode a while back and it showed Olivia with a kid… did she adopt?

22. SVUisTheBest! says:

YES! THANK GOD! CASEY NOVAK! <3

23. LS30 says:

Gosh, I love Casey the most of all the ADAs. lol I cant even watch the ep where she was suspended. They better keep her as Novak, and not change her character or make her a vic, bc then I’ll be angry… :)

24. Carrie says:

I really liked Diane Neal on NCIS. I’d like to see her become a regular there. She blends in nicely, and besides Abby and Ziva need another female to pal around with. Also, she looks good with Gibbs.

25. DiNovia says:

Excellent! Limers everywhere must be rejoicing. Casey Novak will be a sight for sore eyes.

I haven’t watched an episode since the character was eviscerated and Diane Neal fired for no good reason.

For those of you who do not wish her return, please do not watch. No need to comment about it here or anywhere else. Just don’t tune in. That’s what I did all those times they tried to resurrect Alex Cabot. It works surprisingly well.

26. Hannah says:

What is the episode that she comes back called? Anyone, pleeeeeeeeaseeeee! :)

• Kris says:

Her episode is #22 and will be called ‘Reparations’ and according to dmwaldron & svumac on twiiter (both whom work for SVU) the air date should be 4/13 (of course this is always subject to change)

• Kris says:

due to a schedule change her ep will air on April 6th according to exec producer neal baer via twitter :)

27. MATT CHIODO says:

I glad she back for one show I wish be there more then once. I wish be a regular on the maybe other ada i enjoy her character.

28. Svusuperb says:

Hands Way Down that Alex Cabot is and will forever be the best A.D.A EVER!!! Casey Novak shouldn’t even be in comparisons to Alex.

29. kat says:

stopped watching the show when she left her and are alex cabot best ada’s of all time! They should bring one of them back for good all the other ada’s suck

30. SVUDude says:

Casey is the best ever! If Dick Wolf is so hard to work with why does he have so many long-running series with so little fluctuation in lead actors? Wolf and Bruckheimer have the best stables of writers and editors in town.

31. Tarcotti says:

YAY!!!!!! I love both Cabot and Novak. I wish they would just stick to one (or both) of them and not switch the other ADAs around so much. I can’t really decide which one i like better…probably Cabot but I hope Novak is here to stay. I heard Cabot is never returning to SVU! Is that true? :(

32. Reverend Joey says:

I like Diane Neal’s acting on L&O: SVU, but I have never liked how her character, Casey Novak, always babbled on about the law. The law, the law, the law. Jesus! Give me a break. Basically, she never saw some of those cases the way the detectives saw them.

33. Kandy says:

I wish They would bring her back permenately!! I love Casey Novak!!

34. thatguy says:

i hated when they “fired” her. by far she was the hottest ADA. in total geekdom ill only watch dvd seasons 5-10 minus the first half of the first disc of 5 and the very last episode where shes all in trouble.

you need to bring her back. greylak SUCKED where the hell did you find her. i did like cabot but novak had more balls in court.
    SVU was my fave series but seriously took a nose dive after the novak firing.

oh and stop making episodes so predictable.. im getting tired of knowing the ending 5 minutes in.

fire your writers, give new contracts to people who need them and bring back novak…. i forsee the ER downfall if this doesnt happen.

35. nick wales says:

Cabot will ever always the best.

36. Bill Johnson says:

I am trying to find out what Mike Sauberlich’s(not sure of spelling of last name)had to do with production of show.. Played golf with him today, great guy, would like to follow his work.

Bill

37. jason says:

diane neal was unjustly fired from the show who had fireing power who ever did made bad ass mistake you keep actor who make the show good not fire them law and order has became a bad show in the last few years law and order as a whole has became dreadful

38. Mj says:

I love her! She’s the hottest, sexiest and prettiest ada svu could ever had! Want her back!

39. YAKKIE says:

Would it be possible for her return to be more than once. She would be an asset to the show hands down. Why she was let go is beyond my comprehension.
    I saw the NCIS episode. It was nice to see her back in action. Please have her come sooner than Spring and stay longer than one episode.