Exclusive

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on The Good Wife, NCIS and Other Hot Shows

Mondays tend to suck. Let’s see what I can do to make yours a bit better with a flurry of scoops, teases and sound bites from some of TV’s hottest shows and stars.

A Kiss Is Just a Kiss…? | Apparently there is no such thing as a run-of-the-mill episode of CBS’ The Good Wife, because this Tuesday’s hour raised my eyebrow at least twice. For the case of the week, you have Ken Leung delivering a nicely understated performance that’s a far cry from Lost’s Miles, plus there’s a nifty callback to a previous episode. Beyond that, you get:
* Alicia caught off guard by a gesture of Kalinda’s
* Cool zigs and zags (including one untimely death) as the equity partner vote nears
* A “smoking gun” –- and from a surprising source — that may shoot down someone’s bid for the state’s attorney office
* A kiss that (almost) comes out of nowhere
Oh, and if you thought Peter and Will were the only ones who are chasing after Alicia, think again. By episode’s end, somebody else will express an avid interest in her. And it’s not necessarily a guy.

“CI-Ray Is On the Way!” | That is wordsmith Michael Weatherly’s way of trumpeting that fans of CBS’ NCIS will meet Ziva’s mystery man later this season, and he will be played by Without a Trace‘s Enrique Murciano. “I think it’s going to be interesting,” Weatherly told me. After all, he notes, “Tony killed Ziva’s last boyfriend.” (Hate when that happens.) There’s also the none-too-small fact that “Tony cares about Ziva and wants to make sure she’s not mixed up with the wrong kind of guy, so he’s going to be watchful and protective of her.” Check back Tuesday for Weatherly’s full Q&A, where he talks about making his directing debut on TV’s most-watched scripted series and previews the sparks-filled arrival of Special Agent EJ Barrett (played by Brothers & Sisters‘ Sarah Jane Morris).

Castle‘s New Adversary | At Sunday’s Night of 100 Stars Oscars viewing party, TVLine ran into Bruce Davison (X-Men), who this week is shooting an episode of ABC’s Castle. Davison revealed that his district attorney character will be “trouble for everybody. I piss everyone off!” Davison said he would “love” to see the role become a recurring gig, if only so that he could work more opposite Stana Katic (with whom he previously costarred in The Librarian: The Curse of the Judas Chalice).

A Big Engagement? | Now that The Big Bang Theory has three of the boys in committed relationships, we have to imagine that at least one of them might be heading for a wedding. But who? Johnny Galecki told me that his money is on Howard and Bernadette, “because whether he is or not, Howard fancies himself a romantic. So I wouldn’t be shocked if he got down on bended knee.” What do you think, Big Bangers, is “Hownadette” (yes, I just made that up) built to last? And don’t you worry that wedding bells will break up that gang of ours?

Smallville: The Lost Footage! | The Mattcave (aka my apartment) is getting an upgrade, so I’ve been packing for the move. Along the way, I came across videos that I shot of Smallville cast members answering this question: “What would you like to see happen for your character during the show’s final season?” Mind you, I put them on the spot with this inquiry, so bless the actors (Mr. Welling included) for patiently thinking up replies. Here is what each of them said:
* Allison Mack: “I’d like to see Chloe fulfill her destiny – and I’m not going to say more than that!”
* Erica Durance: “Well, I have been pushing for Lois to go undercover as a dude….”
* Justin Hartley: “What I would like most is to see my character extend his wardrobe a little bit, beyond underwear. That’d be nice!”
* Tom Welling: “I’d like to see Clark inspire people that the future is going to be OK.” [Cue imagery of American flag waving behind Supes.]

And perhaps my favorite answer, from Cassidy Freeman: “What I would love is for Michael Rosenbaum to come back and for Lex and Tess to have an absolute throwdown. He always got beat up, and I always get beat up, so I wanna know who’d get beat up between the two of us.” Hmm, with Rosie now booked for the grand finale, sounds like someone’s wish has a chance to be granted!

If there’s a show or hot topic you’d like the Inside Line on, email mattmtvguy@gmail.com, and maybe it’ll get some love the next time around. (Additional reporting by Michael Maloney)

1. xav says:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Are you suggesting that Kalinda’s going to express an interest in Alicia? I mean, I love the idea but I’d prefer it wasn’t known by Alicia and just have Kalinda being annoyed about wanting someone she can’t have when she so obviously can have everyone else.

• TheGoodFan says:

Either that’s what he’s suggesting (because he knows we’ll love it), or he’s just a terrible tease.

It all sounds amazing to me!

Love The Good Wife-centric scoop, Matt! Keep it comin!

• cailey says:

I love the Kalicia friendship, but I dont really dig the lover thing. I mean, they totally get each other, but I never really thought that Alicia every really felt anything for her that way. For Peter and Will sure, but Kalinda?? … Plus I’m a hard core Willicia shipper, so that might be it ( :

• xav says:

Well, in any case, a kiss doesn’t mean love or a relationship or even sexual attraction. But I don’t think Kalinda is going to kiss Alicia unless there’s some sort of ruse going on.

• Sourabh says:

I wonder if its Jill Flint’s FBI character that takes an interest in Alicia.

2. Jayne says:

Yea for Matt!! So glad to see you back with your (sometimes witty) and always awesome scoop! So glad you’re back doing it. Missed it!

3. zaza says:

Perhaps Bruce Davidson’s character on Castle will end up being the mysterious third party involved in the murder of Beckett’s mother.

4. Martin says:

Well, the only ones of that Smallville list we have yet to see, especially after Fridays episode (i’m looking at you Justin Hartley) is the Lois one as Allison and Justins were fulfilled on Friday and we know Tom and Cassidys will be by Seasons end.

5. TamIWas says:

If you want to be technical, Howard already did get down on bended kneed after the third date. I would love to see the characters grow a bit. Obviously living together didn’t really pan out, but how many more years will that whole Howard-mom schtick really work?

6. tejas says:

I couldn’t care less about Ray, but it’s good to see someone from the show acknowledge that Tony’s simply protective and not jealous.

• Tiva says:

He’s both. Its true. Deal with it.

• Mel says:

True. You would want to protect someone you love, someone you care about.

• tejas says:

Someone you’re wired to protect, like a teammate. And goodness knows, she’s shown herself to be completely incapable of taking care of herself without a man looking after her.

• tejas says:

There’s been zero evidence of it.

• Kay says:

There’s been all kinds of evidence actually.

• Dan says:

Yet you list no evidence since it makes me wonder what TIVA fans THINK they see. As for being protective of Ziva as evidence of love.. well if that is a sign then Tony must love the whole team by how he acts and he must really love GIBBS. Look at the times he had protected Gibbs six or how much he looks into Gibbs personal life or the amounts of times he has gone to Gibbs house. Wow he must be head over heals if we want to use protectiveness as a guideline. Or how protective he was over Abby when she got in trouble or how he stood by and protected Tim when he shot the cop. Wow Tony must love a lot of people. I have a feeling TIVA fans will not be happy with this story line.

• Mr. Wolf says:

Dan, Dan, Dan. Don’t try to use reason with the women on this site. Especially if they use the stupid word “shippers” to justify their 6th grade schoolgirl dreams of romance, or the mashup of two names to delinate themselves as “true” fans. These are the same women who actually think the “Twilight” books are real literature, and especially the movies are the epitome of steamy romance and love. Just back away, dude. You…will…not…win.

• Spikenalabama says:

Mr. Wolf – Please don’t lump all the “women on this site” together like that. I am a woman and I definitely DO NOT want to see Tony and Ziva get together as a couple.

7. El says:

Thanks for the Good Wife Scoop! I LOVE the show and think its one of the smartest, well written and acted show on TV today! its a joy to have a show on network TV that is such high quality & phenomenal!

8. nut says:

I don’t think cassidys wish be fulfilled when MR was up there for his scenes i think she was in NY doing some things plus i think all MR scenes are with clark/superman and lois

9. Lorie says:

Matt, thanks for the scoop! Can’t wait to meet Ziva’s new BF and see Tony’s reaction.

10. Jake says:

Hownadette made me LOL :) As did Shamy and probably (if it lasts) Prinard :)

So my bet: yeah Hownadette is going to the chapel!

11. Mel says:

Thanks for the NCIS/Michael Weatherly scoopage! Can’t wait to see the rest of Weatherly’s interview, and excited about Tuesday’s NCIS.

12. Sam says:

Love Justin Hartley’s answer. And what exactly is Chloe’s destiny? Been a reporter? inspiring Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman? Marrying the Green Arrow? eeesh! Love Allison Mack though, she will be greatly missed :(

13. Toronto says:

Smallville is so good this year. It’s not moving at a snail’s pace, things are actually happening. Allison’s answer about where she’d like to see Chloe end up is cryptic, but I like that!

14. Ingmar says:

Thanks for The Good Wife scoop! Cant wait till next episode, lol. I think the kiss will be between Cary and Kalinda realy, cause I dont see a kiss between Will + Alicia and Cary grew closer to Kalinda in the last couple of episodes…
    I dont know who else has an interest in Alicia thought. Maybe Kalinda? But that would be weird since they never hinted that. Besides she is assumed by me ofc kissing Cary this episode and still has chemistry with Blake…oh, the drama! And the death? Maybe Julius or something? Or Lee? I dont know :(

15. mgb says:

Could Tom Welling be any more amazing? I think not! Maybe he really IS Superman…

16. Bella says:

Matt’s obviously hinting that the gesture Kalinda makes surprises Alicia is tied to the hint about someone else expressing interest in Alicia, I can’t see Kalinda making a play for Alicia when she knows that Alicia is conflicted between Peter and Will, but not conflicted about her sexuality. As far as the Big Bang Theory is concerned, I liked Howard a lot better before the cohabitation episode, but at our house, we looked at each other and asked what in the world Bernadette could see in him after that whole debacle. They need to go a long way before they can redeem his character in our eyes.

17. anonymous says:

I think the kiss will be between Cary and Kalinda. I’ve heard other spoilers that seem to hint at something romantic happening between them. If the person who is interested in Alicia turns out not to be a guy than the only established character it could be is Kalinda and since a kiss is probably happening b/w her and Cary it doesn’t seem likely so it probably is a guy.

18. Jason says:

I can’t wait until Tony kills Ziva’s boyfriend, again!

19. Cecilia says:

I have a feeling the (not entirely) unexpected kiss will be between Carey and Kalinda. I can’t wait!!! =D

20. NCIS FOR EVER says:

NCIS FOR EVER JUST THE GREATEST SHOW EVER!

21. NCIS FOR EVER says:

NCIS FOR EVER JUST THE GREATEST SHOW EVER! :)

22. tivabeliever says:

Well, in my personal opinion, suddenly the people who report on TV shows have dubbed Ray as a boyfriend, but Ziva INSISTS he is just a friend. (Up until now)

I see Ray as no threat and Shane Brennan is just riling us fans up for an explosive moment.

• oscarschoice says:

I hope you’re right, but I’m not as hopeful as I once was. I will say I’m more worried about the EJ storyline than I am Ray.

• Frenchie says:

That would be because it’s fine for ZIVA to have a boyfriend but God Forbid Tony shows an interest in any other woman because he totally belongs to you, uh, I mean Ziva…

23. Jill says:

Interesting news about Castle. I wonder if this DA will be the missing link in Beckett’s mother’s murder.

I’ll be back tomorrow for your Michael Weatherly interview. Hope it doesn’t end Tiva, I’d like them to get together after all this.

24. MGL says:

I love The Good Wife, but have been a Will / Alicia advocate since last season, and this season has just disappointed in that area. I don’t think they need a 3rd person in that arena, but at least up the vive between Will and Alicia.

25. walter says:

It seems nowadays one can’t watch any TV series without being bombarded with some guy/lesbian scene. I mean we all know whats what in gender relations, but to push this agenda constantly on what are really good shows is becoming a real drag. What’s next: Zeva comes out of the closet too………….. Back to Cartoon Network, at least Twitty is still straight……

26. walter says:

it should have read Gay/Lesbian……….

27. anonymous says:

If you feel bombarded by gay/lesbian scenes then your probably uncomfortable with that sort of thing so it seems a lot more common to you than it is because the vast majority of what I see on tv and on this show is still straight romance/sex. Kalinda has only kissed a woman once and Alicia’s brother does not have an onscreen love life probbaly never will.

28. Elicia says:

LOL Justin Hartley: “What I would like most is to see my character extend his wardrobe a little bit, beyond underwear. That’d be nice!”
    Absolutely not! Wish not granted! I want my eye candy LOL

29. bhm1304 says:

Is the lovely Cassidy Freeman’s “Tess” going to be around for “Lex”‘s return? I worry her character is going to get croaked beforehand. Aside from Allison’s big send off last week; Cassidy Freeman and Allisandro Juliani’s duet, the actual on stage part;), was the highlight of the episode. Any time a show can give AJ a chance to perform is OK by me, he’s 1000x etter than any of those overrated singers on “Glee” and has the classical training to boot.

30. Carrie says:

The quotes from the “Smallville” cast were fun to read. I’m satisfied with Chloe’s send-off. I like the idea of her being a reporter again and helping other superheroes, but I would love it if she made another appearance in the finale. I’m worried about Tess’ fate, since she’s the other character that was created for the show. I like her, so I’m hoping they won’t kill her off.