Scoop: Grey's Anatomy 'Crisis' Intensifies

The prognosis is looking grim for the Chief’s ailing wife on Grey’s Anatomy.

Loretta Divine confirmed to TVLine at Sunday’s Night of 100 Stars Oscar party that viewers will be seeing a lot more of Adele as the season progresses, all but confirming that the character’s recent memory issues will turn out to be early-onset Alzheimer’s.

“I’m booked for about five episodes,” she confirmed. “Adele and Richard are going through a real crisis.”

Of course, said crisis is further complicated by the fact that the Chief’s ex-lover (and Meredith’s mother) also battled Alzheimer’s.

News of Divine’s extended Grey’s arc comes amid a bit of a career renaissance for the acting vet. The Tony winner recently landed a high-profile guest stint alongside Kathy Griffin on Glee, and will also co-star in the new ABC Family comedy The Great State of Georgia.

“I play Raven Symone’s wacky aunt,” Divine said of Georgia. “It’s about her trying to be an actress in New York.” (Reporting by Michael Maloney)

1. John says:

Who’da thunk Lorrell would be the Dreamgirl with the real career longetivity? I do love some Loretta Devine and her sass, and enjoy watching her in anything.

2. Ana M. says:

Bummer. It was coming but bummer. I love Adele.

3. Tammy says:

so does this mean Adele will enter Derek’s study too?

• Tiffany says:

Ooooh what if she got the placebo though? And what if the Chief tried to force Derek to skew the study going against the ethics and rules and giving Adele the real stuff? Oh things are going to get ugly and nasty and heated and GOOD!

• Davad says:

I think we’ll see more of a just sneak her the drug pressure from the Chief to Derrick. Just my guess on what’s coming.

4. Hank N. says:

Ugh. Don’t want to see more of the chief’s wife. Her voice is so grating.

5. xav says:

BORING. Would have liked it to be something else other than the same thing Ellis had and Meredith and Derek just happen to be working on.

6. starbuckcubed says:

I’m still hoping it turns out to be something else. It would be educational if it’s another disease/aliment that presents like Alzheimer’s.

7. Jen says:

I figured this was the case, just based off of that last promo with Derek/Meredith sitting at a table across from Richard and Adele, with Richard all but begging Derek for something.

Says to me that they will definitely be trying to get Adele in on the trial – just will they let it be random, or will they insure that Adele gets the drug?

• Davad says:

I think it will be more along the lines of just asking Derrick to give her the drug study or not. That would be very frictional, story-wise.

8. Kacey says:

Well this sucks, I really like Adele. I’d rather it would have been something else. Clearly having a relationship with the Chief is Alzheimer’s inducing.

• Davad says:

Hah. At least it gives Adele something to do other than showing up to scold the Chief every few episodes. Should be some really good performance.

9. Jennifer says:

I’ve had two grandparents pass away from/with Alzheimer’s, so I’m very familiar with it.

However, while I know that Alzheimer’s is the top cause of dementia, it is not the only cause. I would have liked to see another cause of dementia in this instance, just to see something new.

10. Jame says:

I thought with the clumsiness and forgetfulness is would be M.S. which would make a compelling story and something neurosurgeon Derrick would find interesting. It’s a terrible disease and one that’s not talked about much on TV. Also, it’s somewhat treatable so she could have hope she’d live for a few years.

11. Katherine says:

From the promos last week Adele obviously has early onset Alzheimers. Then the chief is going to ask Derek to put Adele in the study, but only if she can have the drug, or outright just ask for the drug. Either way, this is a highly unethical move and one that would jeopradize the legitimacy of his study. CONFLICT. Save the chief’s wife or keep on with your research with the potential to save thousands?

12. Kellly Reich says:

I loved her in Eli Stone. She has great timing and it’s good to see her again.

13. sylvie says:

lol, why is this still news? grey’s has run its course. in fact, anything shonda rhimes comes up with has run its course. who wants to see more doctors hooking up, cheating, getting their personal lives confused with their medical drama? it’s been done and it was great. let’s move on if all rhimes and team can do is recycle their crap. :-I