Ratings: Smallville Has Good Fortune

The CW’s Smallville this Friday night started showing signs of liftoff during this second half of its final season, registering a 16 percent gain in audience (to 2.55 million viewers) and a 10 percent bump in the demos (to a fourth place-worthy 1.1).

Lead-out Supernatural, despite mega meta buzz, dipped a hair week-to-week, to 2.17 million viewers and a 1.0.

TVLine Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Axed? What’s on the Bubble?

The night’s other genre show, Fringe, held steady at just over 4 million viewers and placed second in the demos in the 9 o’clock hour (behind CSI: NY) with a 1.5.

Fringe Recap: Ah, So That’s How It Happened!

Elsewhere this Friday:

* CBS led the night in average viewership and tied Fox for the demo win. Among The Eye’s offerings, The Defenders inched up in viewers (8.72 mil) but dipped in the demos (to 1.3) — as did CSI: NY (10.83 mil/1.7). Blue Bloods, meanwhile, copped increases in both measures, scoring 11.6 million viewers and a 10 o’clock slot-leading 1.7.

* Though down a few percentage points, Kitchen Nightmares topped the demos in the 8 pm hour, with a 1.6. As previously stated, CSI: NY (1.7) and Blue Bloods (1.7) did best with the 18-49 crowd in the later periods.

Friday can be a tough night — what did you watch live, and what awaits you on your DVR?

1. moviefan says:

great to hear sv did well last night. I was hoping for increase after the last few weeks in being down. Hope they will hold it for next week before they go on their final break.

2. allie says:

Yeah Smallville! I think the Lucky Lemur worked like a charm!

3. Marc says:

I’d be surprised if both Supernatural and Fringe weren’t renewed at this point. Both have most stabalized in their Friday numbers and neither one is suffering dramatically from the competition. FOX has to be fairly satisfied with Fringe being second in the demos for its hour — only behind CSI: NY.

4. Michael says:

Good for Smallville. Pity it was for such a diabolical episode…..and I usually enjoy the light hearted ones.

5. luck says:

now that chole fans are happy whats the odds we get happy stuff for clark and lois. wedding hopfully but it is not looking good.

6. mgb says:

Too bad this is the last season for Smallville. It’s got a lot more life left in it, especially if the Superman transformation hurries up. I’m more than ready for it to happen. I do hope Supernatural and Fringe are renewed soon so the writers can plan long-term. Great writers!

7. Vlrech says:

Watch Smallville, CSI NY and Blue Blood ~ DVR Supernatural and Fringe only until I catch up on Fringe and then watch and DVR CSI NY

8. margita says:

i think fringe will be renewed with these numbers. I’m more concerned about Tim Roth and Lie to Me. That’s my favorite show on tv, and i’d like to see it renewed as well.

9. JohnDoe says:

I’m really hoping that the writers of Fringe take care of business, and negotiate and end date for Fringe, instead of leaving the fans hanging at the end of each season as to whether it’ll be back or not. It would be great if they could negotiate a 4th and 5th season.

10. Donna says:

The Smallville episode this week was a waste of an hour of my time.
    What a piece of junk it was. Stop the light hearted baloney and get back on track Smallville.
    I want that hour of my life back…thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!

• Jeff says:

How incredibly boring and close-minded. Did you… not see the two episodes before it? How were those light-hearted? They were dark and dramatic.

I think it’s okay for the show to have ONE last light-hearted episode, because it doesn’t look like there will be much more starting this coming week until the finale.

And really, Smallville almost NEVER does comedic episodes. Just enjoy a fun silly hour of television.

• Imzadia says:

DITTO!!! 3X

• Carrie says:

I agree. Fun episode. I liked that they didn’t make a big deal out of Chloe’s departure. They left it open-ended and gave her touching scenes with Clark and Oliver. I also loved the shout-outs to Wonder Woman and Batman, since we know they’re not allowed to used the characters on the show. If she doesn’t return before the finale, at least she got a happy ending. I was a little afraid that she’d end up sacrificing herself for Clark or Oliver. Chloe fans should be happy that she’s going to be a reporter again.

• AlistairCrane says:

I HATED this episode too. Definitely filler.

11. Matt says:

Every episode of Smallville is comedic…just usually not intentionally.

12. luck says:

I think the next episode of smallville scion looks better looks like in the clip that will be out monday with MR luthor and lois and little lex/clark aka superboy it’s about time the MB had a scene with lois and looks like he has got a gun to her going to be great.

13. Jen says:

Fringe – LIVE. I couldn’t miss how Peter and Olivia first met.
    As for CSI:NY – I DVR’d it. It was really good. Don’t understand why they moved it to Friday the Night of Death. Same with Fringe….

14. xforce11 says:

My Fridays
    Young Justice (not on last night)
    Smallville (Funny ep but a great ending)
    Fringe (That was an OUTSTANDING and well acted all around)
    CSI:NY (DVRed very good ep and why I only watch this out of the 3 series)
    Blue Bloods (I really enjoy the cast)

15. promi says:

Knew Smallville would do better than last week, seeing CW actually bothered to promote this episode more than once.
    The lemur was brilliant. LMFAO.
    Smallville has been running for ten bloody years; I’m sure a few light hearted episodes are a given since the writers are running out of ideas.

16. Jason says:

Worst Smallville episode in a while. And there have been some stinkers as of late.

17. caro says:

great numbers for smallville last night episode was so funny loved it, next week looks serious can’t wait

18. rachel says:

Fringe and Blue Bloods live. Glad BB went up. Love that show. Wish Fringe went up…great episode. And CSI NY dvred.

19. Jaclyn says:

Of all the CSI shows and I’ve been watching since the getgo – my favourite by a long way is CSI NY. It’s a far better show than the others. Miami has completely gone haywire, whilst Laurence Fishburne has improved CSI – but it still lacks the intensity given by Mac Taylor. Especially now we have Jo Danforth, Sela Ward is AMAZING and has improved the dynamic tenfold!

20. k says:

I know some think this was an awful episode, but go and watch “subterranean” from season 6 and tell me how awful fortune was lol

no, better yet watch the stride gum episode with pete ross’s return. lol