Fringe Recap: Ah, So That's How It Happened

Raise your hand if you, as I did, yelped out an expletive while watching Friday night’s Fringe, upon realizing that young Olivia (played by Karley Scott Collins) had revealed to Walter — make that, the wrong Walter — how and when she crossed over to the other side.

Ratings for February 26: Smallville Up, Fringe Holds Steady

To see that “dot” connected — how Walternate, frustrated by his inexplicable loss for so long, came to discover just how his Peter had been kidnapped — was a serious goosebump moment, because right then and there so, so many dominoes began to topple over, ultimately leading us to where we are today, in real-time Fringe.

Of course, Olivia’s first crossing-over was a milestone moment in and of itself, triggered by her anxiety-slash-terror as she was subject to abuse by her father. We also laid witness to young Peter’s unsettled sense of self, as he insisted over and over again to his “parents” that he was not their son, that they had somehow robbed him from the world he knew. (In full disclosure, though young Chandler Canterbury did a fine job, “mopey Peter” wore on me a bit. Then again, who am I to question the disposition of a youth who suspects he came from another world at the bottom of a lake.)

Toward episode’s end, Peter and Olivia’s respective “outcast” feelings led them to the same genetically engineered field of tulips, setting the stage for their first meeting. And that was very cool. And it then fed into the aforementioned “slip,” when Olive — finally admitting to her father’s abuse — somewhere along the way crossed over into the other universe, and unwittingly shared with Walternate. I’m sure that many of you, as I did, played back that encounter at least once, to watch anew Walternate’s brain churning as this shocking intel is presented to him.

Other highlights:

* Seeing Bishop Dynamics, where just beyond Walternate’s office window we see a space shuttle readying for a mission. Fact: The first space shuttle launch took place in 1981.

* Another anachronisms include Rubik’s Cube (launched in 1977), a Battlestar Galactica board game (that’d be circa-late 1970s), and Walter’s brand-new Betamax (launched in 1975). They didn’t all quite jibe with an episode set in or around 1985 — especially the home-gaming version of Joust — but….

* Props of course to the always, always-stellar John Noble, and Orla Brady, each of whom had the task of playing two distinctly conflicted versions of their characters. I don’t know what your opinion is, but I remain impressed with how they de-age Noble for these flashbacks.

Share your thoughts on the episode “Subject 13″ in Comments!

1. Matthew says:

This was another great episode! I loved that last sequence where Olivia told the wrong walter. So well done. This writing team, cast, and crew is amazing week in and week out. This show better get a fourth season.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

When do you think Olivia crossed over? On her way into his office, or before she arrived at the center? E.g. Was that Walternate’s assistant she spoke to?

• Dan says:

The thing that this kicked in for me is that Walternate most definitely remembers talking to Olivia when she was a child. So, that makes me ask, did he manipulate Fauxlivia’s entry into Fringe Division? It also adds new depth to his ordering the switch at the end of Season 2.

Actually, it makes me want to see an episode set in 1992 or 1993. Let’s see exactly how Walter got put in the asylum. How he asked Bell to remove parts of his brain. How Walternate developed ZFT. And most of all, let’s see Joshua Jackson in a funny early 90s wig.

• Alice says:

I thought the same thing about the end of season two: Given that Walternate surely remembers that this is that same scared and terrorized girl who confided in him and gave him the information he needed to get his son back, his coldly leaving her locked in the cell as she pleaded with him to let her out is just evil.

• OMG says:

I am wondering the same thing too…did Walternate plan for Holivia to get preggo with Peter’s baby…i remember the scene when Walternate found out about the baby…he didnt seem that suprised…i also wonder if Walternate remembered Olivia from dat moment…
          One more thing…did Walternate predict that peter n olivia were gonna lurv each other from the pic she drew?????
          MY HEAD IS SPINNING WITH IDEAS!!!!!

• Rowan says:

SHe had to cross over either in the hallway or just as she got to the office door because Walter’s assistant is not Walternate’s assistant too, and they were together before Olivia went to Walter’s office.

Is it me, or why is it Olivia doesn’t remember meeting Peter (and vice-versa) when it was a rather important moment for them both at that age?

• Kim says:

Furthermore, if young Olivia was cognizant that she had crossed over into the other universe, you would think she would have remembered about that huh?

And definitely she would have remembered a Dr Walter Bishop and made the link to the daycare centre in Jacksonville when she went to get him out of St Clair’s in the pilot episode?!
          I can kind of understand Peter not remembering, given he was in all kinds of trauma from being stolen, although on the other hand, I’m certain he must have seen the blimp in her sketchbook if he also saw the tulips…

But we all remember the subject 13 betamax tape Walter rewatches over and over again, with young olivia cowering in fright and saying she doesn’t want to go there again…. To make it stop.
          I strongly feel in Subject 13 we only saw a glimpse of what is to come in further flashback episodes.

I don’t like to believe it, but perhaps something so traumatic happened to Olivia that her conscious mind repressed her memories of this period in her life, not to mention what was going on at home with her stepfather. And maybe her recovery of those memories may help our fringe team figure out how to stop Walternate…

My burning questions post watching this ep are all about William Bell. Where was he during all of these experiments? Was he ever actually in Jacksonville? And when did he first cross over himself? And when he did, did he represent himself as from the other side to win all the government and military contracts, or as from there? And why is the other side Massive Dynamic called Bishop Dynamic? Where is the William Bell from the other side? Did he have no involvement with the other side Walter Bishop at all? Please correct me if I’m mistaken, but the original other side William Bell has never even been referred to by any other the characters, on both sides right? (same as for the other side Nina Sharp).

And just to throw it out there, if these kids were able to cross to the other side via these experiments, then per string theory and quantum physics, why would they only cross over to one universe? If we accept that potential exists for there to be more than one reality, then that doesn’t preclude there being multiple realities right?

I rewatched Jacksonville from season 2 (and Peter) before watching Subject 13, and when Walter hooks Olivia up to the cortexiphan and makes her cross over, I swear to God when Olivia sees the younger version of herself and tries to protect her from the lights and scary noises in the forest, I had this distinct impression that the young Olivia was being hunted by something. And for a moment I thought, maybe she wasn’t on the “other side” but a whole new side altogether. And maybe it had something to do with the first people. Who’s to say where and what the younger Olivia interacted with? Having seen this unfortunate crossing over encounter with Walter, maybe other more sinister machine building beings got to her as well.

Ok I’m spooking myself out now… love to hear anybody else’s comments and theories!

• Grant says:

Nope, Alternate Bell died in an accident when he was young. William said it himself in the Season 2 Finale.

• sarah says:

what i find weird is that olivia cant remember her childhood at the age of 8 (or round about) but she did tell us she shot her step father at the age of 9 so how comes she remembers that but not anything else,so im guessing something happend between the age of 8 and 9 and depressed her memorories
            i also think that by walter helping olivia to stop her step father from hitting her, her father start hitting her mother what led her to shoot her step father.
            clip to see her story bout step father

• Gmayer says:

Remember in episode 17, Bad Dreams, Season 1? She didn’t remember meeting Nick Lane? She didn’t remember him at all because somehow her brain was erased from the childhood she lived serving Walter.

2. Dan says:

I don’t understand why these are anachronisms. They’d only be anachronistic if they occurred after the date in question or were wildly out of place.

The Atari 2600 version of Joust came out in 1983, so I don’t see that that’s out of keeping. The idea that Walter would be silly enough to buy a Betamax new in 1985…well, I took that as just Walter being Walter. The first batch of Rubik’s Cubes hit western toy shelves in 1980. I think the most implausible thing was the BSG game, still being on the shelf. And the shuttle was perfectly in place.

The best think for me about last night’s episode was Orla Brady. So good.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Right, the only “leap” was that Walter — who you would presume to be an early adopter type — would bust out a new Betamax at a time when Betamax had spiraled down to 8% market share in the wake of VHS seizing popularity. But yes, everything else synched up (though that kid in the store didn’t seem to be using the 2600 joystick; Joust wasn’t a paddle game, was it?)

By the way, by “anachronisms” I merely meant things out of time for us here in 2011.

• Dan says:

Not that I remember.

• John says:

I mentally justify the Beta-Max as Walter stubbornly hewing to fact that it was the superior format, market share be damned.

• Mikos says:

Maybe Walter just knew that betamax was better quality than vhs.

• Thea says:

In 1991, when I transferred to a circulating branch library from administration, we still had Beta videos available for checkout. There were still a few people living who had players. And I remember that, although you’re right, Matt, Beta was dying in the mid-80s, the controversy dragged on for years. Same as videodisc – even though it was a shorter fight, I remember the odd duck or two advocating for it in the 90s.

• Barb says:

I agree. None of that was anachronistic. If I put a wrist watch on Gaius Julius Caesar or on Moses, that’s anachronistic. If I put one on the President of the US in 2020, it may be unlikely (they are sort of going out of style) but not anachronistic.

• BigGuy says:

The worst anachronism were some of the comic books framed on his bedroom wall. Couldn’t see them all clearly, but that Justice League comic and The Dark Knight Returns comic were from a later time. Peter could not have owned them before he came over with Walter.

• Rush says:

What was out of place about the space shuttle was that Walternate’s office was in the same geographic place as our Walter’s day care center: Jacksonville, FL which is 160 miles away from Cape Canaveral. Olivia doesn’t move geographically when she moves between universes. It’s also possible that Bishop Dynamic, not NASA, owns the shuttle in the other universe.

3. forrest says:

I had my doubts going into this episode. I did not expect to see the alternate universe. Cute product placement. It answered a few questions along the way. With this encounter between Peter and Olivia wouldn’t they remember each other or merely being on a first name basis not cause any recognition of each other later in life especially with Walter being a centerpiece for both of them? Did I miss something in previous episodes to explain this amnesia?

• GimplyGump says:

That was my question as well. 30 years later, I remember many things from when I was 10.

• Nina says:

I believe they’re meant to be closer to 7 or 8 but as for Olivia not remembering, she didn’t remember Nick either when they met – and he said he thought “they” meant for them all to forget.

For Peter not remembering – he’s a childhood kidnapping victim. There’s lots of psychology behind why he truly would have forgotten his life before he was kidnapped as well as anything else that was contrary to his new life – including events from around the time.

We know both have said they can’t remember their childhoods. This episode tells us why really. It doesn’t mean they can’t recover these memories eventually. They just haven’t known they were there to recover until now. Walter too may genuinely not have remembered any or all of this encounter. That’s Fringe for you!

• DotDotDot says:

Nothing that’s been explained, but I would imagine that someone, either Walter himself, or someone who knew what he was doing, was not going to let all these kids walk away after being experimented on without some sort of memory repressing.

4. Dave says:

Can we get some love for those awesome 80s opening credits!?!?

5. Fringe Fan says:

The only part that has not been explained is why Peter and Olivia have no memory of this part of their childhood. To me, and the ones I watch this with, it is a MAJOR plot hole. BTW…Matt so happy to see you on here! Missed you on TVGuide. You are exceptional. And, yes, I did rewind my DVR to see what Walter was wearing and his reaction. John Noble needs an Emmy now!

• Sourabh says:

Agreed.
      I was half expecting the end of the episode to be an explanation about the memory loss.

• Lou says:

Jeff Pinkner explained on Twitter that it was due to ‘Repressed childhood trauma’ which makes sense but probably should have been explained in the episode for casual viewers.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

OK, cool — I was wondering about that, but assumed that maybe it had been established in the show’s very first episodes why they did or didn’t remember that meeting.

• CF says:

Repressed childhood trauma? BOTH of them?
        I’m sorry, that’s dodgy to start with, but for both to have forgotten without some Walter intervention is ridiculous.

• Rowan says:

I can see maybe Olivia repressing it, but Peter wasn’t experiencing a trauma that day. That was the day he realized he was stuck in our universe and had to accept it. And he did so with a lot of dignity.

• speedroc says:

I don’t see (Olivia/Peter not remembering) that as a plot hole at all. Can you really say that you remember EVERY person/event from your childhood if it wasn’t constant or traumatic? How many times in our lives do we meet/see people who knew us as children, and they come out with a story telling us of something we did years earlier that we don’t remember?

That’s a part of life.

• teniba diwara says:

there is an explanation hole those people from your childhood are not exclusively older, some of them were ur age and can remember u while u don’t but here it’s both of them who don’t. it’s oddly unsettling!

• Irishgirl says:

First off, I think Olivia is 9 in this episode, as I think it’s before she shot at her step-father. (and that was her STEP-father, not father.) I can’t say I remember every person I met when I was 9, but I remember the significant people, and there was a connection between Peter and Olivia. And, Peter was the only one who figured out where Olivia was when she ran off. That’s significant. Plus, he convinced her to tell Dr. Walter what her step-father did. So, I do find it a big plot hole that after over two years together, Peter and Olivia haven’t recalled that moment in the tulip field. And I find it odd that Olivia doesn’t recall how significant Walter was in her life at that time, especially as it pertains to her step-father. That is really troublesome to me as well.

I do love the twist that Olivia was the person that revealed the dual universes to Walternate. I didn’t see that one coming.

• Nicole says:

I think it’s been implied for awhile that – as JP said – the trauma of Olivia’s testing and Peter forcing himself to believe a huge lie affected their memories. But it’s never been said explicitly and it would be nice to have a clarification.

On the other hand, I do enjoy seeing the backstory come out more slowly. Peter and Olivia seem meant to be.

• yabot says:

Its the same as Olivia not remembering the cortexifan trails when she was little, and that Walter experimented on her when she was little, so she must have forgotten Peter in the process too.

• Nina says:

Actually it’s been explained various ways before. Peter has said he doesn’t remember his childhood on a couple of occasions (which makes sense as a childhood kidnapping victim raised by his kidnappers). When she “met” Nick and didn’t remember him, Olivia was told that “they” (those who experimented on them i.e. Walter/Bell) meant for them to forget. According to this episode, Olivia and Peter met *during* the experiments. If she was later made to forget the experiments, it makes sense that she’d forget this meeting as well as it was connected to the experiments.

• Thea says:

I’ve been curious about them calling her “Olive” consistently when she was a child. And then, when Olivia went to the Middle East to find Peter, she introduced herself as “Olivia”. We know her memory’s been repressed, and Peter may just possibly not connect her with little Olive, or only vaguely. We don’t know if they saw each other after the scene in the tulip field, so Olive could be a distant memory even if he did remember it.

• Jess says:

They’ve made it VERY clear throughout the last 2 & 1/2 seasons that Peter and Olivia do not remember anything from this time of their lives. Peter has blocked out everything having to do with the kidnapping and Olivia completely forgot about ever being experimented on until Walter told her the truth. She still hasn’t recovered any of her memories of the time. All she knows is what she has been told and what she has read in the files that remain.

6. nora says:

love this show. Sseason 4 please!

7. Leslie Lu says:

Great episode! I got more than everything I had hoped for (storytelling-wise) from this flashback. Orla Brady was magnificent.

8. Naomi says:

I could understand why Peter and Olivia don’t remember each other after one meeting…although that particular meeting was so bizarre that I don’t think I would have forgotten it. However it seems really far fetched that Peter wouldn’t remember believing that he was from another world and almost died when he jumped into the lake. Repressed memories doesn’t really do it for me. I expected that Walter had been responsible for their memory losses…some sort of drug or shock treatment.

Another thing…all this time, Walter has been thinking that he is responsible for the rifts on the other side. However, they had not yet started happening as of the moment when Olivia crossed over and told Walternate about her stepdad. So, it’s possible that it’s Walternate’s subsequent attempts to rescue Peter that are responsible for the rifts or am I missing something?

• Fringe Fan says:

I agree. You would think that Peter and Olivia would remember the tulip meeting. Walter would of had to have done something to Peter. How can he not remember jumping into the frozen lake with a cement block tied around his waist? That was frightening!

Love your theory about Walternate causing all the problems. Poor Walter, carrying the weight on his shoulders when it probably wasn’t his doing…although he did start the chain of events.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I agree with you both — Walter MUST have done something to repress Peter’s memories at some point. Maybe that’s the early-1990s flashback episode we’re all clamoring for now.

• taylor says:

In “In Which We Meet Mr. Jones” from season 1, when they were attaching the dead guy to some machine to read his thoughts, Peter said to Walter something like “You used to do this to me.” Maybe this has something to do with Peter’s lack of memory? Not sure, but I hope they bring that up again some time.

• kris says:

Especially since our Olivia allegedly has photographic memory…I don’t buy it at all. I thought the cortexifan stuff was supposed to be when she was much younger. This whole episode felt very uncomfortable to me. I could understand Olivia not remember one encounter, but blocking out what appears to be several months if not more of seemingly daily encounters with Walter? I don’t think so.

• Donna says:

I think it can be reasonably assumed that Olivia was drugged so much during the experiments that her memories of the research period have been severely compromised.

Peter is more problematic, unless he forgot these traumatic events by a supreme force of will.

The writers should do a little more to explain the memory loss, even if it’s just a throwaway line or two in a future episode, or perhaps they are saving the specifics for a future “flashback” type episode.

Also: Any information we previously had about the Jacksonville trials and when they took place, came from Nina (who is a known liar and obfuscator) and Walter (who had pieces of his brain cut out). Not exactly rock-solid information sources. Olivia must have been involved in these trials since the age of 3 and upward.

• Irishgirl says:

I have been wondering that as well….about Walternate being responsible for the rifts on the other side. Think about all the shapeshifters that are in our universe. I have been wondering that for awhile, because of all the universe crossings that had to take place for the shape shifters to get here. I would say Walternate’s actions have damaged the universes worse than Walter’s one leap.

9. David says:

Another Fringe masterpiece! SAVE THIS SHOW! Where are the emmys?

10. Cotsos says:

I have one big continuity question.
    Has it ever been explained how Olivia was picked at the beginning to lead Fringe division with Peter and Walter?
    I cant accept that it was such a huge coincidence.

One theory I have is that Nina (taking orders through Bell, who knew about her powers) told Broyles to hire Olivia in the pilot episode.

Have I forgotten something already explained?

• Tania says:

That’s a good theory. In the Pilot, when John Scott is dying he tells Olivia to ask herself ”Why did Broyles pick you?” So yeah, I don’t think Broyles recruiting Olivia was a coincidence at all.

• Nina says:

Mr. Jones also hinted at something nefarious behind her being brought in. I also think that Bell is behind a lot of the machinations going on behind the scenes setting things up and bringing our group (back) together.

11. Heather says:

Was I the only one who noticed the puzzle Walter made Olivia try to solve was the same one that Sydney solved on ‘Alias’?? That was just me? Really? Any J.J. fans out there?

12. Christina says:

I totally rewound the Olivia reveal to Walternate. My thought was “dang, so that’s how it started.”

13. erika says:

I loved this episode! It answered most questions, but I still wondered why Walter didn’t remember Olivia from the first episode (because they seemed to have a wonderful relationship, according to this episode). Now I have theory- maybe he didn’t remember her because Bell took those pieces of Walter’s brain. Not only did Walter forget the experiments, etc., he lost some memories as well.

• DotDotDot says:

Yes, I’m sure Walter can’t remember because his brain has since been compromised. And I think either Walter, or someone covering for him, did something to repress the memories of the cortexiphan kids…it wasn’t exactly ethical what they were doing. If not Walter, then William or Nina came along after and cleaned up after him.

14. Elin says:

The girl who played young-olivia was great! Loved her preformans :)! Love, love love the scene with her and Walternate. That was Awesome :D

15. Dan says:

They’ve not addressed the other mystery:

Does Walter’s hair get curlier as he ages? Or is he using some kind of product?

(I’m sorry, the wig does nothing for Mr. Noble.)

• Thea says:

As hair gets longer and consequently heavier it pulls the curl down and out. (That’s for standard curly hair. If you have like kinky, frizzy hair it’s not as pronounced.) It’s also possible that since it’s 80s hair he’d be brushing it more and maybe using products to keep it in place.

16. Cate says:

Can I just say: white tulip! Great callback.

17. Nina says:

Can I just point out how brilliant the child actor and actress were? I found them to be completely unaffected in their performances. Just brilliant!

18. Elizabeth says:

There’s a part of me that hopes I never figure out all of “Fringe”‘s mysteries…there have been few shows that keep me guessing like they do.

And Matt, if by “yelp” you meant “went completely bat-you-know-what crazy”, then no, it wasn’t just you.

• Juicy says:

this one raises question and actually try its best to answer those questions. please season4 at least to conclude the whole thing!

19. Jen says:

I loved this episode. It was nice to see into Olivia’s past and get a feeling for what she went through when she was a child. My issue with the whole ‘stepfather’ business is where was her sister? Was she not there at all or not being abused like Olivia was? I was happy to see they didn’t intimate that she was being sexually abused as well. As bad as the physical abuse was, I think the sexual abuse would’ve been worse. Seeing what her stepdad did to her really brings home her trust issues and the reasons it’s difficult for her to jump and trust that Peter will catch her. It would’ve been nice to ahve ended it with Peter and Olivia now, but wow, that last scene with Walternate was incredible.

It was nice to see that Walter wasn’t a complete douche and let her stay in that environment without any sort of warning. Although one question did come to mind, Why didn’t Walter realize Olivia wasn talking to Walternate? I think he did, but at a later date, probably when William Bell removed parts of his memory/brain, it erased that knowledge, and thus, here we are.

20. Lucha says:

This is an amazing show, it better get a fourth season and many more!

21. LG says:

I’m completely blanking on when we see Nick again in more recent times; can someone please refresh my memory.

Also, I’m fuzzy on what happened to Peter’s mom on our side – didn’t she commit suicide?

• Irishgirl says:

Nick was first seen in the season 1 episode Bad Dreams. He’s the guy who was an empathic. He projected images into people’s heads, making them do horrible things, or commit suicide. It’s his connection with Olivia that gets him caught, because she can see what he does. She has dreams of what he’s done and is the ‘murderer’ in the dreams. He later appears in last season’s two-part finale as one of the Cortexiphan children that help Walter and Olivia cross over to get Peter.

As for Peter’s mother, it’s been implied that she committed suicide, but I don’t think we’ve learned any details.

22. CF says:

Ooh, I get it. Walter plugged Peter and Olivia into VR5 to erase their memories.

23. emm says:

i must be the only one who is upset about olivia being an 8/9/10 year old, when we saw in the 2nd season that she was much younger when she was burning things with her mind. i think it is a much larger continuity problem than explaining the missing memories.
    and wasn’t peter sick when he was sixish? this is supposed to be less than a year later, and these are not even 7 year olds, they seem more like 10 yrs.
    help?

24. sandy says:

OK they keep saying it.. Somehow they made the children forget what happened to them therefore..she would not remember Peter. ( she was as suprised as we were that there is an “over there” SO natch she somehow was made to forget..) AND yes Peter says he does not remember his childhood. BLOCK out what you do not want to believe!! Possilby he begins to forget the moment he hugs his “mom” at the end of the episode. This was amazing story. I hoped the 80s credits would just be the new credits did not think about why it was new…BTW. The young Peter did kind of look like Joshua Jackson.. go look at the first Might Ducks movie.

25. Kyle H says:

Does this mean that the ‘stepdad’ at the end was abusive to Fauxlivia in that world?

26. laura says:

the blurry footage made my stomach churn. was like watching a 3D movie without the glasses on. Would have been ok if it had been limited to when “looking” through the video camera, but it was just plain annoying.

27. Teresa says:

In my opinion, it was an useless episode.

• FringeBinge says:

IMO, someone who writes “was an useless” is likely to have their opinion disregarded.

This episode provided a ton of great back story…calling it useless leads me to believe you don’t follow this series.

28. Jon says:

Excellent episode in all ways, except one. John Noble is a great actor, but putting a wig on that distinctly craggy face does not automatically reverse his age 25 years. He just looks like an old guy with a bad wig. In an age when CGI can have a younger version of Jeff Bridges playing alongside a real-aged Bridges in TRON, or put an one actor’s face on another to create the Winklevoss twins in The Social Network (http://goo.gl/jNBRe), then it would have been more believable if just Noble’s voice was used on another actor.

29. Debbie says:

After reading comments and seeing this website rave on this series, i decided to give it a try on Friday night. A time slot that is meant to put shows in the grave. Now i know why. This epsiode was horrible. How close in percentages does this episode represent the series? Because if i heard that this episode is 90% comparable to what you will expect from Fringe, count me out. I just figured that a friday night show might be more in sync with the feeling of a friday night. To those who watch, go forward and enjoy. If this is the show you wait for in anticipation all week or day, get out more. Fringe shouldn’t be something to look forward to, just an afterthought. As in, “Hey look, Fringe is on. I think i’ll use this time to change my colostomy bag.”

• Chris says:

Typical snap judgement from someone who decided to try something just because other people were saying it was cool. How can you expect to sample a single episode of a show in its third season and come away with any understanding of what’s happening. Why would anyone consider your opinion to have any relevance under these circumstances?

30. Roy says:

Great episode. But did I see it right that an Observer was standing in the doorway right of the entrance behind Walter when he had just entered Bishop Dynamics and the employee greeted him?

31. Kelly says:

Good episode. I love the little girl who played Olivia. I love that our Olivia/Peter have that connection and history. I just wish they could remember it as adults and wonder if they will and why the can’t. Also thought it was interesting and sad that little boy Peter could tell the difference in parents but smart conman adult Peter could not tell something wasn’t right with Bolivia.

32. An Observer says:

I really enjoyed this episode. However, one thing is confusing me. After Olivia crosses into the other universe near the end of the episode and inadvertently tells Walternate about the other universe, etc, etc…How does she get back? Does she stay in the other universe? If so, for how long? Does that mean she might meet Fauxlivia?

• Chris says:

Clearly she snapped back to “our” universe right after telling Walternate, as evidenced by Waletr appearing in the doorway behind her.

33. Chris says:

I used to tell friends that FRINGE was the new X-Files. Now I’m convinced it’s the new LOST (except with actual answers).

34. myoubi says:

Great episode! No one brought it up, but I believe that this encounter with kid Olivia is the reason why Walternate will not use children as a test subject.