Pilot Scoop: Don Johnson Returns to NBC In Mann's World

Sonny Crockett is trading his Italian sport coat and linen slacks for a hairbrush and curling iron.

Don Johnson is returning to NBC for the first time since his Miami Vice days as the star of A Mann’s World, a drama pilot set in a Beverly Hills spa.

Produced by Sex and the City‘s Michael Patrick King, the project finds Johnson playing Allan Mann, a celebrated (and straight) hairdresser in his 50s who is struggling to stay young and relevant in a business fixated on youth. Successful and rich, Allan has no interest in following society’s traditional timeline for retirement. Instead, he decides to expand his beauty empire by purchasing the building next door to his salon to transform into a day spa.

The cast also includes ex-Vampire Diaries hunk Taylor Kinney as the spa’s “it” stylist.

1. Emily says:

I know the article said it was a drama but this has comedy written all over. This show will be a trainwreck and I can’t wait to watch for that very reason.

2. Ryan says:

Didn’t he have a show called “Just Legal” on the WB or something a few years back? It was definitely less than a decade ago.

3. Alex says:

Oh god, cue the obnoxious gay stereotypical hairdresser in 3…2…1…

4. Steven says:

He was in Just Legal in 2005 on The WB. It lasted only a couple of episodes.

5. susela says:

“In his 50s”? Isn’t he a good bit older than that?

6. AJ says:

Well if this makes the schedule, should be complete failure. Is there really a call to see Don Johnson back on TV?

7. AJ says:

Well if this makes the schedule, should be a complete failure. Is there really a call to see Don Johnson back on TV?

8. Chris Bergman says:

I cant wait to see Don on Tv again I just love him I miss seeing him

9. Bella says:

I loved Nash Bridges, so am feeling optimistic about this show. I’ll give it a try, anyway, if it’s picked up.

10. Pierre Bontenbal says:

There haven’t don there homework as well.
    After the Vice-period Johnson played in Nash Bridges and Just Legal.
    Unfortunally that last show didn’t make it very well.

Dons career is the last years very steady and he did make some fine small films in Europe. Bless him with his succes, family, health and wealth.

Greetings from a close Johnson friend.

Pierre Bontenbal / Netherlands

11. sonny says:

Don is awesome and always am excited seeing him.just legal was awesome,just wrong network,he even sent me an autographed pic.so i am a big fan….good luck don!!!!

12. Emily says:

i wonder how this latest one will do on rating ! it seems the last two ( Nash Bridges and Just Legal )were not well accepted . I remember back in 1986 after the last season of Miami Vice , both Johnson and Bruce Willice ( Moonlighting )said publicly , ” No More TV ” , well , Bruce made it by his fisrt movie Dead Hard I , but Johnson never make it( success ) on movie . This is his forth attempt back on TV . I am looking forward to see the rating .

13. Jennie says:

Yes, I have been waiting for Don to have a new,successful television series…Just Legal was dropped without much of a chance and, Southern Discomfort was shelved because there wasn’t an actress available to play Don’s daughter in the series.

Possibly this time, Don…if not…next time…You are missed and deserve to please your fans…all the BEST !!!

14. pat m says:

When is this show a. mann’s world going to be on?

15. Jim Munyon says:

Where can I find a manns world online ? I never saw it and would like to !!!!!!!