American Idol's Casey Abrams Will Tape Semifinal Performance Tonight: Source

Get More: American Idol, Scoop

Wildly popular American Idol semifinalist Casey Abrams, who topped TVLine.com’s Idol Leaderboard this week in terms of reader votes, will perform Friday night when the Top 12 men tape the first round of the Season 10 semifinals, says a source close to the show.

Abrams was hospitalized for undisclosed reasons earlier this week, according to a number of media reports.

American Idol Recap: Those 24 About To Rock, We Salute You!

Abrams’ performance will air Tuesday evening on Fox. A spokesperson for the network declined to comment for this story.

Comments (30)

• Fantastic news! Hope he’s feeling much better so he can do himself justice.

Comment by Bobbi – February 25, 2011 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How, precisely, does one “do himself justice”? Argh.

Comment by BK – February 27, 2011 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HALLELUJAH! I love several guys and girls, but losing Casey this season would make it instantly more boring. I just hope he feels better/gets healthy ASAP.

Comment by ePastorJames – February 25, 2011 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! What a relief…
    Thanks so much for the update MIchael! We need Casey in this competition.
    He might not win but he is my favorite! He is special.
    Oh man I was so worried. I really hope he can do his best with is condition. Maybe a stool titting down type of performance.
    We lova ya Casey!

Comment by Titina – February 25, 2011 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Echoes of Bowersox. It boded well for her to get sick during the live shows.

Comment by Michael Sacal – February 25, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought the exact same thing!

Lord, if it had to happen to someone, why couldn’t Clint Junebug or Jordan Dorsey get ill?

Comment by darcy's evil twin – February 25, 2011 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought those things were live? Or is that only once the Top 12 competition begins?

Comment by Paco – February 25, 2011 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hear it is “Live” recorded… maybe more to see how Steven Tyler does… I bet they worry about him singing over the contestants and/or swearing too much… it will be easier to edit the early rounds before top 12 if they pre-tape them. IMHO

Comment by Just Jules – March 1, 2011 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Was Casey swearing and did they have to bleep him. I did not hear it but my friend tells me he was really swearing. What do you know?

Comment by Risa – April 5, 2011 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m with Paco — since when are these performances taped and aired later?

Comment by Alex – February 25, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know if it started this year – but the initial round before the top 12 will be previously recorded. When they arrive at the top 12, it’ll be live…

Comment by John Berggren – February 25, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by john t. – February 25, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I could be wrong but all the performance shows are taped, when they get to the top 12 they are taped earlier in the day. Only the result shows are live.

I hope Casey is well enough to sing as good as he did up til now. It would really be a shame to lose him now, his voice and attitude are wonderful.

Comment by TerBear14 – February 25, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • close. the top 12 perform live as well. however, they run through rehearsal a couple hours beforehand and use that footage for the numbers recap at the end of the live performance show

Comment by john t. – February 25, 2011 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good for him. It would have been a lesser season without him.

Comment by John Berggren – February 25, 2011 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited!
    BTW just had to say he looks extremely cute in that picture. The makeover is starting. Yay.
    I just LOVE this guy.

Comment by Titina – February 25, 2011 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the update, Slezak! SO happy Casey will be able to participate tonight!!! If you read the comments under your recap today, as you probably have, Casey is a clear early leader for Idol this year!

Let’s hope Casey gets 100% better and SOON!

Comment by Suncatcher – February 25, 2011 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I simply love this guy. He’s got the talent. On top of that, he’s got mad heart. On top of that…

I mean… just look at him. LOOK AT HIM! I would let that boy do things me that are illegal in forty-eight states.

Comment by Michael Mammano – February 25, 2011 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!!! Thanks so much for letting us know. I don’t expect him to win—he’s a unique talent, and that never works out on AI—but I sure want to see him perform for many, many weeks.

Comment by susela – February 25, 2011 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wishing Casey good health. I tend to agree with you about Casey’s chances of winning because of his uniqueness and obvious musical sophistication. In the past few seasons, they would be slim, but stranger things have happened on Idol. TAYLOR HICKS for example. Anyways, Casey is my clear favorite amid some very, talented singers this season. Congrats to the judges for raising the bar and bringing this singing competition back to a singing competition!!

Comment by Cathi – February 25, 2011 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Every time I see him now I see a younger Joss Whedon. Anyone else think so?

Comment by ErixN – February 25, 2011 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Been thinking since day one that he looks like Joss Whedon – glad to see I’m not the only one lol

Comment by s – April 15, 2011 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! Thank heavens! I was so scared! Good to know we won’t be losing one of this season’s best. Hope he can arrange and rehearse a good enough performance to make the finals. Let’s hear it for Casey! (And also: Brett, Robbie, Naima, Paul, Tim, Julie, and pretty Kendra!)

Comment by IdolFlash-7-9-35 – February 25, 2011 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, yeah, and Rachel, too. She’s just so… interesting! And Stefano, Karen, Scotty, and Pia aren’t bad, either. Say what you will, but James is my boy. I think he can control the screaming, I have Asperger’s, too.

Comment by IdolFlash-7-9-35 – February 25, 2011 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When Crystal (who I love) was ill, the guys stepped up and went first to give her an extra day to recover. Why not have the girls do that for Casey?

Comment by Atticus – February 25, 2011 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Casey is very talented and the show without him wouldn’t be as good as could be, very original voices and talents will make this season one of the best I’m just excited to see them next week!

Comment by Mey – February 25, 2011 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Casey Abrams = Taylor Hicks

I can already tell this dude will annoy me the way Taylor Hicks did. He will win and sell 500 records and get dropped 5 months later.

Comment by Taraq – February 26, 2011 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Comparing him to Taylor Hicks would be insulting Casey. He is way better

Comment by iurqal – February 27, 2011 12:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Comparing Casey to Taylor Hicks is spot on…both are not mainstream, but both are musician’s musicians. Wildly talented,but probably not what the music buying public ( teenies and tweenies) will buy…They like the Justin Beibers, and Lady Gaga’s. Don’t think Casey will win, but hope he stays around a long time for people who appreciate his talent.

Comment by Sam – February 28, 2011 06:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • where is idoolonies for this week!

Comment by James – March 1, 2011 12:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post