American Idol's Casey Abrams Will Tape Semifinal Performance Tonight: Source

Wildly popular American Idol semifinalist Casey Abrams, who topped TVLine.com’s Idol Leaderboard this week in terms of reader votes, will perform Friday night when the Top 12 men tape the first round of the Season 10 semifinals, says a source close to the show.

Abrams was hospitalized for undisclosed reasons earlier this week, according to a number of media reports.

American Idol Recap: Those 24 About To Rock, We Salute You!

Abrams’ performance will air Tuesday evening on Fox. A spokesperson for the network declined to comment for this story.

1. Bobbi says:

Fantastic news! Hope he’s feeling much better so he can do himself justice.

2. ePastorJames says:

HALLELUJAH! I love several guys and girls, but losing Casey this season would make it instantly more boring. I just hope he feels better/gets healthy ASAP.

3. Titina says:

Yay! What a relief…
    Thanks so much for the update MIchael! We need Casey in this competition.
    He might not win but he is my favorite! He is special.
    Oh man I was so worried. I really hope he can do his best with is condition. Maybe a stool titting down type of performance.
    We lova ya Casey!

4. Michael Sacal says:

Echoes of Bowersox. It boded well for her to get sick during the live shows.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I thought the exact same thing!

Lord, if it had to happen to someone, why couldn’t Clint Junebug or Jordan Dorsey get ill?

5. Paco says:

I thought those things were live? Or is that only once the Top 12 competition begins?

• Just Jules says:

I hear it is “Live” recorded… maybe more to see how Steven Tyler does… I bet they worry about him singing over the contestants and/or swearing too much… it will be easier to edit the early rounds before top 12 if they pre-tape them. IMHO

• Risa says:

Was Casey swearing and did they have to bleep him. I did not hear it but my friend tells me he was really swearing. What do you know?

6. Alex says:

I’m with Paco — since when are these performances taped and aired later?

7. John Berggren says:

I don’t know if it started this year – but the initial round before the top 12 will be previously recorded. When they arrive at the top 12, it’ll be live…

8. TerBear14 says:

I could be wrong but all the performance shows are taped, when they get to the top 12 they are taped earlier in the day. Only the result shows are live.

I hope Casey is well enough to sing as good as he did up til now. It would really be a shame to lose him now, his voice and attitude are wonderful.

• john t. says:

close. the top 12 perform live as well. however, they run through rehearsal a couple hours beforehand and use that footage for the numbers recap at the end of the live performance show

9. John Berggren says:

Good for him. It would have been a lesser season without him.

10. Titina says:

So excited!
    BTW just had to say he looks extremely cute in that picture. The makeover is starting. Yay.
    I just LOVE this guy.

11. Suncatcher says:

Thanks for the update, Slezak! SO happy Casey will be able to participate tonight!!! If you read the comments under your recap today, as you probably have, Casey is a clear early leader for Idol this year!

Let’s hope Casey gets 100% better and SOON!

12. I simply love this guy. He’s got the talent. On top of that, he’s got mad heart. On top of that…

I mean… just look at him. LOOK AT HIM! I would let that boy do things me that are illegal in forty-eight states.

13. susela says:

Yay!!! Thanks so much for letting us know. I don’t expect him to win—he’s a unique talent, and that never works out on AI—but I sure want to see him perform for many, many weeks.

• Cathi says:

Wishing Casey good health. I tend to agree with you about Casey’s chances of winning because of his uniqueness and obvious musical sophistication. In the past few seasons, they would be slim, but stranger things have happened on Idol. TAYLOR HICKS for example. Anyways, Casey is my clear favorite amid some very, talented singers this season. Congrats to the judges for raising the bar and bringing this singing competition back to a singing competition!!

14. ErixN says:

Every time I see him now I see a younger Joss Whedon. Anyone else think so?

15. IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

Yes! Thank heavens! I was so scared! Good to know we won’t be losing one of this season’s best. Hope he can arrange and rehearse a good enough performance to make the finals. Let’s hear it for Casey! (And also: Brett, Robbie, Naima, Paul, Tim, Julie, and pretty Kendra!)

• IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

Oh, yeah, and Rachel, too. She’s just so… interesting! And Stefano, Karen, Scotty, and Pia aren’t bad, either. Say what you will, but James is my boy. I think he can control the screaming, I have Asperger’s, too.

16. Atticus says:

When Crystal (who I love) was ill, the guys stepped up and went first to give her an extra day to recover. Why not have the girls do that for Casey?

17. Mey says:

Casey is very talented and the show without him wouldn’t be as good as could be, very original voices and talents will make this season one of the best I’m just excited to see them next week!

18. Taraq says:

Casey Abrams = Taylor Hicks

I can already tell this dude will annoy me the way Taylor Hicks did. He will win and sell 500 records and get dropped 5 months later.

19. Sam says:

Comparing Casey to Taylor Hicks is spot on…both are not mainstream, but both are musician’s musicians. Wildly talented,but probably not what the music buying public ( teenies and tweenies) will buy…They like the Justin Beibers, and Lady Gaga’s. Don’t think Casey will win, but hope he stays around a long time for people who appreciate his talent.

20. James says:

where is idoolonies for this week!