Simon Says: X Factor Is Unlike Any Show You Have Seen - Plus, Audition Sites Revealed

Not that he would dare to steal any of American Idol‘s current thunder, but Simon Cowell appears in a new video touting Fox’s The X Factor as a reality competition the likes of which you have never seen. (Unless, that is, you live across the pond or watch videos of the UK version online).

“It’s basically a singing competition with a twist,” Cowell says in the video below, noting that because there are no age limits on either end, X Factor is “open to anyone” who can carry a tune.

X Factor Announces $5 Million Grand Prize

With the contestants vying against their peers as solo acts, or as groups, and the yet-to-be-announced judges doubling as coaches, Simon assures us: “You have never seen a show like this before in America. A lot’s going to happen that will surprise you.”

Fox has also announced audition dates and sites for its X Factor, which premieres this fall:

Sunday, March 27 | The L.A. Sports Arena in Los Angeles
Thursday, April 7 | The Bank United Center in Miami, Fla.
Thursday, April 14 | The Prudential Center in lovely Newark, N.J.
Wednesday, April 20 | The Key Arena in Seattle, Wash.
Wednesday, April 27 | The Sears Centre Arena in Chicago
Date and Site TBA | Dallas, Texas

Additional audition details, including eligibility requirements, are available at Fox.com/TheXFactor.

Will you be checking out the U.S. X Factor?

1. Sam says:

If this is as great as I think it’ll be, and if American Idol continues to have good seasons… I don’t know if I could take that much awesomeness.

• AWMc says:

lol i was thinking the same thing! i’ve pleasantly surprised with how much better idol has been this year and im assuming Xfactor wont disappoint either! overload!

2. Debi says:

Looks like the Idol Hollywood rejects will now have time to run try out for X Factor, LOL

3. Esmee says:

I’m from Holland and we have actually already had a couple of seasons of X-Factor and I have to say I like it much better than Idols (that’s the Dutch version of American Idol). I really like how the judges become coaches to the contestants and therefore are more honest in their critiques.

Though X-Factor can of course never live up to The Voice (of Holland, soon also America, or so I’ve heard)!

• Nat says:

As a UK resident, I always found that the judges being mentors makes them more dishonest, biased and manipulative because they want to “win” rather than give constructive criticism. For anyone who complains about pimping on Idol, it’s so much more overt on X Factor. Having said that, this is just the UK experience – the US version may be different.

4. Patrick says:

What’s with the snide diss on Newark? Unnecessary, unwarranted, and obnoxious. F Mitrovich!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I live 20 minutes from Newark — it was said with affection :)

• Patrick says:

It’s not affection when it’s at the expense of Newark and its residents. Sorry, nice backtracking but it doesn’t change anything. What you should have done is pull a Nikki Finke and edit your original post…

5. Dirk says:

I’m already tired of hearing about US X Factor.

6. DryedMangoez says:

“Unless, that is, you live across the pond or watch videos of the UK version online.”

Exactly. Haha, I’ve watched an entire season even though I live in the US and while it IS something I’ve seen personally, it is different for American TV. However, NBC’s “The Voice” seems to be more fitting of the “you’ve never seen” meme.

7. b says:

I think I might audition here in Chicago just to say I did it, since I’m too old for Idol now – you think they’ll mind that I’ll be 8 months pregnant?

• Lisa says:

GO for it, you being pregnant should not mater! GOD, gave you a voice and you should use it. My husband is from Chicago, and he is 46 year’s old and has a fantastic voice. I’m a little worried about not knowing what to expect. My husband is going to be at the auditions on April 27′ 20011. I hope to see you there. GOD BLESS!!!

8. nae says:

what about newyork auditions

9. Rachel says:

Omg this my dream come true!!!!! Can’t wait to try out in Chicago XD

10. Jayme says:

11. Jayme says:

This looks awesome but I am a really shy person but singing has been my dream for 10 years! Dallas aditions please be cool!!!! (P.S. does anyone know if we have to singup like online or before hand)

12. Emily Teed says:

I am in the same boat about being to audition for idol. The year I was to audition I was pregnant. I think auditioning for xfactor will be fun

13. fresko says:

I tried out for idol I really am a good singer but didn’t make it past the first producer I’m wondering what are they looking for a woman in a wedding dress made it I auditioned with hello by lionel richie the guy looked mean and mad when I first went in there just had a feeling he wasn’t going to pick me but its ok I will try again and I will make it

14. Scott Crider says:

Im going to get ATLEAST 10th or better.
    COUNT ON IT

15. Doresha Transfer says:

When will the next upcoming audition be held…please keep me posted…I sing from Opera to reggae…willing to give it a try….

16. Samantha Bowman says:

I amy only be fourteen but the teenagers on the show now are amazing and i would like to give it a shot…if anyone knows when the next audition will be please PLEASE tell me thnks so much

17. sierra says:

I would like to know how do you sign up for the xfactor show? Like do I just go to the city and sign up there on the day of the audtion?

18. sierra says:

19. tim langdon says:

When and where are next try outs?

20. g. d. b. says:

there are many poor people in oklahoma that can not afford to travel more than a couple hundred miles. They have dreams and talent worthy of a chance for a better life as well. So, with respect, where should we begin?

21. taylor says:

yeah lol and alot more people will watch because the let a younger age group

22. may I have the next audition date please.

23. May I know the next audition date please, I’m a New Yorker.

24. Kaila Weston says:

Who knows when the next X Factor auditions are and when?

25. Kaila Weston says: