True Blood Exclusive: Look Who's Returning!

You already know that True Blood‘s upcoming fourth season will feature witches, werewolves and more Nan Flannigan. But here’s what I’m fairly certain you don’t know: It’ll also mark the return of vampire legend Godric!

TVLine has exclusively learned that Allan Hyde will reprise his role as Eric’s late, forever young-looking maker when the HBO drama resumes this summer.

The duration and exact timing of his stint are unknown. It’s also unclear what form the onetime vampire sheriff of Area 9 will take given that he succumbed to the worst sunburn in history during season 2. (He returned briefly from the great beyond in the season 3 finale to deliver a message to Eric.)

Blood EP Alan Ball isn’t offering too many clues, except to say that fans will see “a different side of Godric.”

Thoughts? Guesses? Hit the comments!

Comments (376)

• Maybe Sookie’s blood & power will somehow be able to turn him back into a vampire again :-P

And if that happens…maybe that’s when we’ll see the “different side of Godric”, maybe trying to take advantage of Sookie’s power & blood like all the other vamps.

Comment by Miss Prina – February 24, 2011 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wish the show followed the books a little more closely sometimes…

Comment by Amy – February 24, 2011 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the show and its so addictive, but in my personal opinion,once their dead leave them dead. I don’t want this to turn into days of our lives.when someone dies and they keep brining them back.

Comment by kell – February 24, 2011 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think he’s going to come back nice and happy the way he was before he burned. Eric ended season 3 disappointing Godric…and I think this will have a negative effect on him!!! I*m anxious to see!!

Comment by Amy – February 24, 2011 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • squeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! *shrieks* Godric’s back! Godric’s back!! when I calm down, I’ll be able to think out the details but for now, I’ll enjoy being in fangirl mode XD

Comment by iafaS – February 24, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Has it occurred to anyone that Godric has already appeared in the series since his death NOT as a flashback? All those times he was trying to help Eric make the “better” decision were NOT flashbacks. It was Godric’s spirit, if you want to call it that, that appears to steer Eric in the direction he should go. Meaning, Godric will probably appear again in the show in a way that is not just a flashback but also present time. Just some food for thought.

Comment by Anonymous – February 24, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe he’ll be like Eric’s conscience or something.

Comment by Jennifer – February 24, 2011 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It will be flashbacks for sure, after all Godric was a “nice” vampire, but in the end he admitted that it was is fault the way Eric behaves. So based on that and on the “the fans will see a different side of Godric” it’s fair to assume that we’re going to see tha old days of Godric.

Comment by Carlos – February 24, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope he does comeback as a badass,it was really disappointing with all the build up and he turned out to be such a wussy.

Comment by rusty – February 24, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’ll appear as a ghost. For sure.

Comment by krissyT – February 24, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thinking he may be forced back into the world as a spirit. Perhaps a spell gone wrong by one of the witches. Or whatever those things are where they all sit in a circle and try to communicate with the dead. I know what they’re called and how to say the word, but haven’t got a clue how to spell it. Sounds like Say’onse. Anyway there was alot to read here so sorry if someone already suggested this.

Comment by Jason – February 24, 2011 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just wanna know wat happens to sookie cause she like just disappeared out of know were I hope she comes back and gets back wid bill they make an awesome couple and bill is really sexy so yeah if I could I would marry him ;p

Comment by Bailey – February 24, 2011 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Jesse – February 24, 2011 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Godric, I hope he comes back corporeal and not just in flashbacks and haunting visions.

Comment by Scott Cocktail – February 24, 2011 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, if A.B. said his return will be like we haven’t seen him before…then I would guess as a cruel vamp. We’ve seen him in flashbacks and good already in past eps.

Comment by Anne – February 24, 2011 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it seems obvious to me that he’ll come back as an evil monster instead of the light fluffy vamp he died as- lets hope so anyhowllllllllllllll

Comment by tony santucci – February 24, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He definitely will come back in flashbacks, but I also think he will come back as a ghost. Every season seems to have new types of creatures to take part in the story: that Mary-Ann thingy, the werewolves, the cat-shifty people, more shifters like Sam, the fairies, etc . . . They haven’t done ghosts yet. Godric’s body was destroyed so really, coming back as a restless spirit is the only other choice. Love the show! Never end it ok! Don’t let be another Firefly! >.<

Comment by Sara R. – February 24, 2011 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In the Sookie Stackhouse books, Godrick has a liking for young boys.

Comment by nicole – February 24, 2011 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • like a Phoenix from the flames- he will be a bird

Comment by ethan – February 24, 2011 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woo! Godric is super sexy. I wanna see him lose control cuz hes always so calm and sure of himself. I think it would be insightful and hott;)

Comment by Sierra:) – February 24, 2011 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad to see Godric make a come back! He was very interesting to me, and his part was so short lived. I just hope he sticks around longer this time!

Comment by Kersty – February 24, 2011 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why would he return? In the books he never died. Well doesn’t die untill about the 8th book or so. WHY !! D:

Comment by Taylor Hanna – February 24, 2011 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think we will get to see his “bad” side – before he found his inner Buddha!

Comment by Mackena – February 24, 2011 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This season is going to be so far from the book! Calvin dead, godric returns (even if he was supposed to be in memories, this is the season eric is supposed to lose them!)

Comment by trueblud – February 24, 2011 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you have read the books any Godric should not eaven be the the episodes yet, he comes out near the end!!!! Not dieing and comming back!!

Comment by mena vongethicker – February 24, 2011 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That is exciting news!! Godric is a tremendous character, an evolved vampire that has a message for all of us. I imagine he will communicate from another dimension or plane of consciousness to someone else (Eric or Sookie)who evolves to a higher energy level. I can hardly wait!

Comment by Patti Zimmerman – February 24, 2011 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t tell you how happy this makes me! My favorite fun-size Zen vampire is coming back!

Comment by Jennifer – February 24, 2011 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Flashbacks….definitely because Godric isn’t really Eric’s makers real name in the books. I lo e the show, but COME ON Allen Ball…stick with the true story line already!!!!

Comment by tricia – February 24, 2011 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I predict that Godric will return to try to convince vamps to show love and compassion as there is a God and there is a way of light.

I predict that they will have another Godric type of person but as a young child…Godric could return as someone else like a reencarnaton.

Sookie will have to decide if she is going with vamps or weres…eithr way it will be bloody..

Comment by garden lady – February 24, 2011 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love everyone’s comments….But seriously…SEASON 4 needs to hurry up and START! And it needs to be for a longer period of time. I absolutely love the show!

Comment by Maday – February 24, 2011 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok I keep hearing bout the books for a long time now. Yes I love love love True Blood and everything bout it but I want to check out these books. So can someone give me the 411 on the books and tell me the name? Thanks

Comment by turnin_headz – February 24, 2011 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The books are AWESOME. Really funny, told from Sookie’s point of view. You get how smart she really is. The sex scenes are top notch!

Different from the TV show. Some of the same characters, different plot twists. I think the TV show HAS to be different, just because it’s such a visual medium. And because it’s visual it’s so titillating. My husband & I are always saying OMG! I can’t believe they showed that!!!

Our Catholic upbringing upbraids us every time, but we continue watching ‘cuz like that 2nd or 3rd brownie, yes, it’s THAT good!

Comment by zumbita@zumbita.com – February 24, 2011 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who cares how, I’m just glad I get to stare at him! Yummie! He is perfect everywhere:)

Comment by april – February 24, 2011 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Flashbacks definitely. and has anyone actually read the sookie stackhouse books. the Eric storyline this season should be pretty steamy. mmmm

Comment by Erin – February 24, 2011 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that he will be brought back in his vampire form. With all of the media and HBO blogs to bring him back. Alan knows that he is wanted back on the show. It won’t be in just flash backs.

Comment by Brittany – February 24, 2011 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This whole series is so far beyond my knowledge of Vampires and werewolves (an believe me, its exstensive)that its hard to say how things will go. I seriously doubt Godric will come back as an angel, he is after all a vampire, and not a vegetarian one ;)I believe it will just be flash backs of how him and Eric came to be, but like I said, this series never ceases to surprise me…

Comment by Barbara – February 24, 2011 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A witch will bring him back. Maybe Eric will pay a witch to bring him back. Maybe he’s too old to die. His ashes got reconstituted somehow & landed in a pool of blood? He comes back to save Eric from the witches or from the King Eric buried in the cement!

OOOOooo! Can’t wait. “Sook-ahy!”

Comment by Fran – February 24, 2011 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will just be glad to have him back. He was GREAT as Godric. However, he would be good in any role.

Comment by Nite – February 24, 2011 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok,ok, we get it: the show isn’t an exact copy of the books. There are differences. Can we stop repeating it OVER and OVER?

The article said that Alan Ball stated we will see “a different side of Godric.” Now, what have we seen of his character thus far? He is gentle, repentant, and doesn’t feed much anymore. He hates himself and regrets that vampires feel that humans are cattle; it makes him ashamed. So, seeing a “different side” of him, that would mean he would probably be: brutal, egotistical, ravenous. He will be the vicious monster that the worst of the vampires are. That means it will be him in the past, and that means someone’s memories…probably Eric’s.

Seeing Godric as ‘an angel’ or even as a being only Eric can see that helps him (Eric) choose more compassionate acts and choices still puts him (Godric) as a ‘good guy,’ which is NOT a different side of the character.

So, IMHO, logic dictates he will be a meaner, more brutal Godric, which means seeing him from the PoV of someone’s past, Eric being the most likely candidate for that.

I personally hope the series’ plotlines/stories continues to stray from the books in the same manner that it has so far, as you can then have two series to follow and be surprised by: books & tv! I would hate to read all the books (which I have started to do) and know exactly what was going t happen in the tv show — BORING! Plus, the stamp of Alan Ball, the twists and changes he makes I find very entertaining, very engaging, and I can’t wait for more, in fact, I like the show BETTER than the books (so far).

Comment by Kim – February 24, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Godrick. I hope they can bring him back in his true form.

Comment by Lori Davis – February 24, 2011 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think he comes back and shows his darker side.
    They have always portrayed him as forgiving and how he learned over time to change for the better.
    They probably will show him before his change of heart before his kinder side.
    Sexy.

Comment by Amarah – February 24, 2011 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Eric and sookie to screw and get it over with. I am ready to see Eric naked dude! I’ve been waiting since the first season!

Comment by Harley – February 24, 2011 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t care – need more Eric!!!!

Comment by Bearsmum – February 24, 2011 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you’ve read the books…Godric is not Eric’s maker. But, Eric’s maker did introduce Eric to homosexual sex.
    Hmmm.

Comment by c-red – February 24, 2011 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think they’re going to show more of his & Eric’s past

Comment by tracey – February 24, 2011 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG!! Godric!!!!!! Eric!!!!!!! CANT WAIT FOR SEASON FOUR!!!!

Comment by Beth – February 24, 2011 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • thats great, i like godric, i think their gonna be telling the backstory of eric and godric and what happened in their lives throughout the years and centuries together, thats the only explanation i can think of as to how he can return but idk, you never know with true blood, should be interesting, can’t wait for the return of true blood, love the show

Comment by bren – February 24, 2011 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He will almost definitely be brought back as he was in the end of season 3…as a vision seen by Eric. But well if you’ve read the books…Godric isnt even Eric’s maker…so I wonder how they are gonna work that out. Then again I dont know if they plan on making as many seasons as there are books…I highly doubt it…But a girl can hope.

Comment by Sam – February 24, 2011 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, he’ll probably appear in flashbacks and I imagine his character will be quite the opposite from the wise sage we first saw. I.E. he’ll be completely animalistic orgiastic and vicious, in other words, completely adorable! And Erics lover to boot! God I hope so.

Comment by Ian – February 24, 2011 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I totally agree with The One.I was surprised how different they portrayed him in the show.

Comment by angella Hallam – February 24, 2011 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is possible, that since Sookie’s grandfather is fae “royalty”, that he is capable as bring Godrick back as human, or vampire…… Just a thought!

Comment by michelle – February 24, 2011 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • sorry for the mis-spelling!

Comment by michelle – February 24, 2011 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I am not sure in which form he will return, However, I believe he will be in a very serious mood to have Sookie since she was one of the only people who showed Godrick the good side of human nature. I think that he will really want to posess her in any way he can. I don’t think he will care overmuch about Eric because the whole reason he wanted to walk in to the sun was because he was into little boys. He was a very EVIL vampire. I think that maybe Eric will have to kill him a second time to save Siookie if in fact he actually died to first time. Who knows?? Sookie only knows what she THINKS she saw! You know…TV magic!!!!!

Comment by Sherry – February 24, 2011 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post