Exclusive

Exclusive First Look: The Biggest, Boldest House Episode Ever!

Brace yourself for a House divided.

Unless you’ve been holed up in Doc Crankypants’ bathroom for the past three months, you know that this season’s 15th installment — airing March 7 — represents a radical departure for the Fox smash. The episode is one part traditional — i.e. there’s the requisite POTW story — and one part what the frak?!

To be more specific, the bold, ambitious hour — helmed by the show’s lead director, Greg Yaitanes — is interspersed with about a half-dozen fantasy sequences that find our Princeton Plainsboro faves spoofing a number of classic Hollywood genres, including the Western, the big-budget musical, the classic sitcom and, as you can see in the exclusive image below, black-and-white ’50s TV.

I had the good fortune to screen the episode earlier this week, and I can confirm that it’s a dazzling mind trip rooted in a poignant and momentous House/Cuddy story. (Let’s just say there’s a reason the episode is titled “Bombshells.”) I’ll be dropping more clues about the can’t-miss hour in the coming days, which will give me time to sneak in a few more viewings. In the meantime, hit the comments and tell me how you’re feeling about this episode. Excited? Scared? Both?

1. Rita says:

March 7th. I bet there will be a rerun after this one. Regardless, looking forward to it.

2. Jermd says:

Im excited for anything new, it looks like its going to be a fun episode!

3. Kathi says:

I love house & am looking forward to the retro. I hope you give clues to the old shows

4. Louise says:

It also would be wonderful if House and Cuddy would lose their jobs due to their ethical problems when treating her mom. I don’t know why that hasn’t been followed up yet. It just disappeared into the ether.

5. grace de gold says:

i cant wait. it sounds like fun :P

6. Frank says:

I don’t get everyone against the Huddy thing…it hasn’t changed House at all…in fact get to see act more like an ass so yay Huddy…besides Cuddy has been great for the show an opposite for house that is not a male figure…Cameron didn’t work out she sucked…Buddy good the whole thing with drug hallucinating last season sucked so keep it real and know Huddy is good for tw show….a little nervous all those scenerios sounds a tad stretched

7. m.c. says:

omg they look horrible inn that pic. cant wait to watch that episode. aahhahaha that pic is soooo funny. :) :) :) :) :)

8. Susan says:

Finally! I love episodes that break the show’s old boring formula. I can’t wait for this one.

9. Sharona says:

So intrigued by this episode. I hope it captures the off-kilter thing they do so well.

Ridiculous as it sounds, I do wish they’d quit with the promotion overkill. The producers claiming every episode is a game changer is ridiculous and they’re just making checks they can’t cash. Heck, some of the eps I’ve enjoyed the most in the past few seasons have been ones where there wasn’t a bunch of fuss – just a good case and good character interactions.

10. judy joyce says:

When it Looks too Good to be True, it Usually is!! Heeelllloooo out there 13, Where are YOU?!?! Love, Love HOUSE!!

11. lari says:

They’ve hyped this one so much that it’s probably going to suck.

12. j-rod says:

Looks like it might be an interesting episode. It has been my experience that there aren’t too many bad episodes so the odds are in favor of a positive outcome. Maybe we’ll all get lucky and Amber Tamblyn’s God awful character will die in a bus crash. (hint-hint for the future all you House writers out there who creep the boards)

13. Dragoslav says:

I think they just ran out of ideas.
    Probably this is the last season.

14. Os says:

I love Huddy, but I think if the creators are gonna spend the whole season telling their story, it will bring them nowhere. I think Cuddy has to go somewhere urgently (although I love her character a lot), and House has to keep contact with her only by cell or maybe skype or smth. Then it would give House a little rest from all that “muffin theme” and he would be back to form – as witty as he was before. With all due respect to the House’ team.

• Shawntel says:

Whenever people say they get too much screen time or they focus too much of the plot on them, I always find myself scratching my head. Obviously the entire episode can’t be dedicated to them (of it could if I had my way) but of 42 minutes, the amount of time House and Cuddy are on screen together is 10 minutes. 12 tops.

15. Sofia says:

I love House. Best show on TV. And Lisa Edelstein and Hugh Laurie are the best actors with the most intense chemistry. Can´t wait.

16. Suz says:

I can’t wait for this!!!!! I LOVE House, and I love how the writers are so creative and keep things new and exciting. And I love Huddy too. YAY!!

17. popcorn says:

Sounds amazing. can’t wait.

18. Simkhak says:

This Huddy line is so boring, End it pleeeeeeease! LE cannot act, there is no chemistry between them and it destroys the main character. Pleeeesae, end HUDDY!!! House was brilliant, where is he? I am so bored with Cuddy’e garbage and toothbrush lines!!! It really sounds so juevenile and silly!!!

19. Loves House and Cuddy says:

I cannot wait to see this House episode!! I have loved the show from the begining and excited about the Huddy relationship after all it was inevitable. I hope the writers keep this relationship up. Even house deserves happiness it will probably turn to marriage then misery if the show lasts that long LOL. If anyone has a problem with the Huddy relationship its because misery loves company or they cant deal with change GET OVER IT PEOPLE IT HAPPENS!!! I believe in the writers they have pulled through all these seasons and AWARDS are stacking the shelves for these characters and writers. WAY TO GO!!

20. JKMichelson says:

love it, sounds like great fun!!!!

21. Electra says:

I’m thinking this is going to be a crash and burn episode. That being said, I love the show and have been a fan since day one and have been waiting for this spectacular Huddiness for what seems like forever. I like seeing House out of his element a little and dealing with real relationship issues. I don’t even mind that they periodically come back to the staple/formulaic House. Either way, I’ll watch and always will.

22. coNs says:

WHAT THE HELL. WHAT HAPPENED WITH THE DRAMMA?? D: When did this turn into a comedy?
    I must say I loved the Cuddy’s mother episode. For the first time in months I really felt like this was a dramatic, powerful episode. We really saw their inner struggles. Don’t forget the true essence of House, a man trying to fight with his demons! ._.

23. Mookie says:

“little House on the Prairie!”. Aside from Michael Landon and Victor French rolling over in their graves, I love the idea of a Huddy devil spawn. Can you imagine Dr. Ego-Maniacal having to not only care about but tAKE care of Cuddy. It would kill him or be the death of at least Wilson and his cat.

24. Mike says:

Seems like many TV shows do this kind of thing when they are running out of ideas and getting ready to jump the shark.

25. Jamie K says:

I think people are seriously overthinking this whole thing. Stop complaining. I love some episodes more than others, but I have liked every episode of House. I’m sure this next episode will be great!

26. cami says:

I think that this episode is gonna be polemic in all the ways… just waiting to see what happens

27. James says:

How much would it be a bombshell if Cuddy was pregnant?
    NO I am not some sad bastard who thinks House needs to be domesticated… but… it would be interesting to see what House would do

28. melissa gibson says:

No matter what antbody says, House is the bomb! I look so forward to ALL episodes, even if it drives me crazy!!!

29. Salazar says:

Love the show! Keep up the good work!

30. toni kunde says:

I am all in. We remain totally crazy about House and his gang.

31. Amanda L says:

I can’t wait! Love the 50′s and love House. This has got to be a good one!

32. Rick says:

Didn’t they have like a odd episode last week with the kids, i liked it but wasn’t the best house episode and now they got more coming??? Ok, well see

33. summer_782 says:

Wow. When the writers of House start taking creative tips from the worst episode of Roseanne ever, we really have a problem. This whole fantasy style episode has been done, and it is not likely to be pretty. I hope I am wrong, as I love this show, but this just seems like a really bad idea. The only thing that would make sense about the crazy crap was if House was having a drug relapse.

34. Britt says:

SO sick of all the haters who have nothing better to do than post comments about how the show has “jumped the shark” or how they hate this or that character.

If you all hate it so much, stop watching. Simple as that. Spend your time pursuing other interests that you actually enjoy. Find another show that you want to watch instead of subjecting yourself to something you no longer enjoy. Trust me, you won’t be missed.

• Eleanor Rigby says:

And I am sick of all the “haters” who complain when people voice legitimate complaints about the show. A few of you are so full of your own self-importance that you somehow think your snarky, dismissive comments, which have already been repeated OVER and OVER throughout these three pages, should send all us “haters” packing.
      Let me return your words to you, Britt. If you hate it so much, stop reading it. It’s not going to stop because you or anyone else demanded it. Grow up and learn to share the sandbox.

There are some wonderful Huddy fans out there, but some of them who are represented here baffle me. You have what you want. You’ve got your “Huddy” and plenty of it. You’ve got Greg Yaitanes and Ausiello hanging on your every word. It’s your fanfiction come to life, but you still aren’t happy. Why not? Because you want the world to see what YOU see in Huddy. You want the ratings to soar, you want critics to gush over Huddy, you want all comments about each episode to be puppies and sunshine about how wonderful and realistic Huddy is. You want it so badly that you manipulate polls (wink, wink) so that TPTB thinks that EVERYONE loves House and Cuddy. Hell, they’ll even brag about it on their website!

35. Tatiana says:

This one better live up to the hype. We’ve been hearing about how fantastic it is for MONTHS now.

36. July Wolfe says:

I thought Huddy would be a disaster but its beautifully hsndled. Can’t wait for more.

37. Carolyn says:

Huddy, I love you. And the show. PLEASE don’t jump the shark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was bad enough House spent half of last week talking to 5th graders. Get back to formula. It works!

38. Oval says:

I don’t get why people are so anti “Huddy,” (shipping is dumb, fanbases need to stop) but I don’t think the show is getting any worse because of that. The thing that has been bugging me, but hasn’t become a fullblown problem, is the disproportionate spreading of character exposition. Taub has effectively hogged the spotlight for two seasons now, Chase is on the right track, and it seems the writers have forgotten Foreman and Wilson even exist. Well, I shouldn’t say “forgotten,” as they’ve acknowledged they don’t do anything with Foreman anymore and because of their lack of attention, they wrote the other characters’ perception of him as a complete bore. Or, most recently, a “humorless hardass.”

Oh yeah, the upcoming episode. I’m looking forward to it. House, despite its faults, is still one of the best shows around.

39. Towler™ says:

Being a die hard House fan find every epi great, but I have to say that my favorite shows have been a departure from the standard. One being his stint at teaching students, and the handfull of others that that are similar in style, so this season with views and contexts from the view point of the other characters is the best yet. If this season doent rock it at the rewards I don’t know what will. Keep it up, because it opens the show up in so many directions and other various ways that the future possibilitys are just becoming endless.

40. Towler™ says:

In response to Carolyn, I have to disagree I thought last weeks show with the 5th graders was one of the best epi’s yet. I laughed my ass off the whole way through, more then I have (at a tv show) in a long-long time. Its informitive to see how many different ways people look at a single show. It is an art and like a good book or any other type of art people are moved in various different ways, because everyone sees it through there own eyes and experiences. That’s what makes it stand apart from a lot of the others.

41. Grace says:

PETRIFIED! SCARED TO DEATH!! ANXIOUS!! TERRORFIED!!!
    I think you get my point!

42. Brent says:

I like the idea of Hugh Laurie showing off the comedic talent that put him on the map before he became House.

43. Lucy says:

I really like the Huddy story line. Not for the romance and not because I think that Cuddy is especially interesting. I LOVE watching how House responds to his relationship ups and downs. It’s the one thing that House gets wrong, a lot. It proves that he is fallible and makes him human. I think his relationship with Cuddy makes the show more well-rounded.
    There’s really not a whole lot of romance in the show anyway, the difference now is the show follows the main characters lives more in-depthly and that’s just not something we’re used to on House. Honestly, do we really care about Talb’s wife? Do we have any interest in Chase’s sexcapades? NO. In my opinion, it just makes the character’s more complex.

44. gm says:

What is wrong with you people? Be a bit more flexible and have faith in these brilliant actors. As long as Hugh continues to play House, he will never disappoint.

45. hughsgirl says:

Oh,for heavens sake. What else can they screw up this year? The Huddy arc has just about ruined the show and changed House so much I don’t know if it can be saved.

46. Armen says:

When this show started, most of its fans were intelligent people. Now it is beloved mostly by housewives and fans of Brazilian and Mexican soap operas. Well done guys!

47. Ceil says:

Love House and Cuddy together. Like the looks of this episode. Can’t wait.

48. MiMi says:

I’m so sick of these “if you don’t like, stop watching” mantras. Yes, I don’t like this season, I find this Huddy-fest awfully boring, and I hate that Cuddy gets a buttload of episodes. I’m watching it anyway, because I loved this show for 6 years, and my favorite character and actor is still in it. I just CAN’T stop watching, while he’s in it. I’m not-so-secretly hoping they’ll write him out this season…. but I can’t see it happen, sadly. So I have to stay whit the show even if I don’t want to.

(Yes, my English is not the best, forgive me for that.)

49. Regina says:

Cannot wait for the next episode. I LOVE Huddy and would love to see a pregnancy scare or reality materialize in the future. This would make for some fantastically funny, emotional,controlling, and/or devastating, etc… episodes to come. I love seeing House in love, and happy, but still maintaining his typical House behavior. There should be no other love for House besides Cuddy(or vice-versa) because the House journey over the years has proven that this is indeed true love, which is not easily available for these intense characters. They need to remain a couple and have the writers go wild with it. The POTW story should always remain the focus of every episode, which has been what has intrigued viewers for all these years.

50. St says:

It all been a trip from House’s mind.?
    The whole guy gets girl he has always wanted… that has ruined more than one TV show…..

…….. I agree they are trying to jump the shark……