Ratings: NCIS Demos Best Glee for First Time, Good Wife Hits Low as Parenthood Surges

NCIS, which just weeks ago delivered all-time high viewership, has added another first under its belt: This Tuesday it bested Glee in the coveted 18-49 demo for the first time ever.

The eight-year-old CBS procedural surged 20 percent week-to-week to score a 4.4 rating, while Glee held steady at a 4.3. In total audience, NCIS was up 9 percent, with 21.28 million viewers.

Elsewhere on Tuesday night:

8/7c | With 5.04 million viewers and a 1.4 rating, ABC bubble show No Ordinary Family was down a few percentage points in both measures. One Tree Hill (2 million/0.9) saw increases of 15 and 20 percent, respectively.

9/8c | NCIS: LA led the hour with an audience of 18.6 mil and a 3.9 rating, up 10 percent and 18 percent. ABC’s V held steady-ish with 5.14 million viewers and a 1.9. (And no, I still don’t understand what’s up with all the DNA splicing and what not.) Both Fox’s Raising Hope (6.2 mil/2.5) and Traffic Light (4.1 mil/1.7) enjoyed double-digit gains.

10/9c | The Good Wife led in total viewers (with 11.5 million of ‘em), but dipped 7 percent to hit an all-time low 1.9 rating. Parenthood capitalized on that opportunity by surging 11 percent to top the demos with a 2.1; the Kleenex-worthy drama also saw an 8 percent bump in viewers (drawing 5.5 mil). ABC’s decision to sub Primetime for Detroit 1-8-7 resulted in better demos, but shed 20 percent of the freshman cop drama’s total audience.

What was your TV tuned into this Tuesday?

1. Svenja says:

Yay for NCIS and Glee..
    Both shows deserve this…

2. Allison N says:

Awesome ratings for NCIS and NCIS LA! Those shows DEFINITELY deserve the viewership :)

• Jeff says:

Yes, and its time to cancel all the stupid shows like Glee. Lets get Glee, The Good Wife, and One Tree Hill taken off the air. No one wants to see this stupid drivel.

• Ann M. says:

Yes, I agree. You can keep Glee for the kids to watch, but let’s get rid of the Good Wife. Every time I started to like a character they start doing such slimy things. There are no “good” people on the “good wife”. Ironic. You need clear protagonists and antagonists on any program. I stopped watching. There days are numbered anyway. I’d rather watch Cathy Bates in Harry’s Law (even with the slight circus-like quality) for a law show.
        KILL THE GOOD WIFE CLUB, let’s go.

3. newsjunkie says:

You should note that The Good Wife was preempted/earlier in Chicago because of the election so this probably had an impact on ratings.

4. JB says:

Yay for Parenthood, but honestly I LOVE both The Good Wife and Parenthood. They are the 2 best dramas on tv. Why are on they on at the same time?1?

5. Sandra says:

I watched NCIS and NCIS:LA

6. kiks says:

I was watching the Good Wife! Fantastic with America F. Love Parenthood as well though and will be seeing that online. Hope NBC renews the show despite its low viewership average. Its one of the best dramas on television. Wonderful cast and inspired writing

7. Trisha Jondle says:

I love Parenthood! It keeps getting better!

8. Sash Fan says:

I’m watching V on Tuesdays, dude! It’s much better this season. Action, alien grossness, and chemistry between the characters. It’s good TV now.

• RICK-FAN OF V TOO says:

THEY MUST HAVE NEW WRITERS THIS SEASON IS MUCH MORE DRAMATIC AND A GREAT STORYLINE. HOPE ITS BACK THIS FALL

9. Jenna says:

NCIS rocks! Woo! =]

& NCIS:LA was a great show last night too. Just watched the Glee episode today & it was good too! I’m so glad Blaine turned out gay rather than bi.

10. Cheery says:

Hate all the industry emphasis on the 18-49 demo–people over 49 still buy stuff!
    If the Good Wife gets canceled I’ll be so pissed.

• deb says:

I agree! The world does not revolve around people 18-49 . I’m over 49 and my dollars have to count for something you would think.

• Cheery says:

I’m actually in my early 20’s and love the show, as does my mom, who’s over 49 and BUYS A TON OF STUFF–way more than me. The ratings geniuses need to check their assumptions.

11. Chmarin says:

They better not cancel The Good Wife. Seriously.

• Nicole says:

When a bad night is 11.5 million viewers, your show isn’t getting cancelled anytime soon. I love TGW, but Parenthood needs the ratings more right now – so happy more people are tuning in!

• Jim says:

Not true at all. I’m sorry for all The Good Wife fans, but the advertisers (thus CBS) hardly look at the total viewers, but they check how many users of the demo that is targeted it gets.

For CBS, the average to be a succesfull show is about 3.0, shows doing real awesome (like NCIS with 4.4 tonight) get in the low to high 4s, shows doing bad and are likely to be cancelled are in the low 2s, or high 1s.

The Good Wife (1.9) is such a show. Don’t forget that it loses about half it’s lead in from NCIS:LA (3.9) which is also a terrible performance. I feel only a miracle can save TGW.

• xav bibliosexual@gmail.com says:

If they cancel it TGW would probably get picked up by another network or a cable network. It was the ONLY network show to get nominated for a Golden Globe and only one of two to get nominated for an Emmy in a market dominated by smart, well-written cable dramas. Plus, there’s a reason why The Good Wife was paired up with NCIS: they’re all shows that dominate the older market.

• xav bibliosexual@gmail.com says:

Also, NCIS is a strange case as it was doing low 3s, with their average being around something like 3.3 for quite a while there and it was one of the most watched scripted dramas on tv.

• Michael says:

The Good Wife will most likely be renewed. Sometimes, networks are forgiving and everything I’ve heard up to this point(I have a few friends who work for CBS) indicates that the show will be renewed. They love having JM on their network.

12. Lady Magenta says:

Last night’s episode of The Good Wife was hard to watch with the nanny storyline. However, was it just me but wasn’t there some real interesting sexual chemistry between Eli and America Ferrera? I REALLY hope he redeems himself in this case.

13. Amy says:

Parenthood!

14. Thom says:

I’m not getting the DNA splicing either. The only thing I can figure is that they want the 6M Dollar man for Lisa LOL

15. Katie says:

Parenthood!

16. Alex says:

Parenthood was FANTASTIC last night. Glad to see it rise.

• DL says:

Agreed. I have at least one moment every Parenthood episode where I get misty-eyed, but last night’s actually made me cry. I swear, the show has the best acting ensemble on television. Where the hell are all the Emmy/Globe/SAG noms for this incredible show?!

17. MAS says:

The Good Wife is the best show on TV. I really hope the demo number won’t drive the decision.

18. Anna says:

I’m starting to worry for TGW.

19. Bethany says:

Yay for NCIS–it deserves the incredible ratings it’s getting! I’ll always be amazed but never surprised at how it’s number 1 in it’s 8th season–this is crazy, but fantastic.

20. Katie says:

Shame on ABC for their treatment of Detroit 187. It’s a great show that deserves a timeslot that gives it a chance. Maybe one that’s NOT up against Parenthood and The Good Wife. Also, if their PR department was on the ball, they would have immediately jumped on the Chrysler/Eminem Superbowl commercial buzz and tied Detroit 187 in.

21. Dorian says:

Will you people please stop watching Glee !!!!! I need this show gone from pop culture ASAP. Glee and the Jersey Shore…. damn.

22. xav says:

I’m only mildly worried about The Good Wife. It’s the only network show even getting nominated for any awards so if CBS was stupid enough to cancel it, it’d probably move to a better network, have the episode count reduced and win some awards.

23. Scribe says:

Its simple for those who don’t get the DNA splicing on V :).

Its like Star Trek’s Borg, except instead of assimilating humans to become perfect, they’re using the boys to to impregnate their females to make a superior V product, or the next generation of V.

24. Harry says:

Last night’s Parenthood episode was by far one of the best episodes this season anywhere on cable and network TV.

It’s still very perplexing that only less than 6 millions people watch this show. Now unless they are not able to receive NBC in their area, they have no excuse.

25. redreh says:

NCIS! Huzzah!

26. El says:

I ADORE the Good Wife. It is the smartest written show out there. The acting is impeccable and I love how all of the legal cases are relevant and unique. The personal aspect of the show is incredible. The character development is so strong, yet subtle; every character has changed significantly. Even the Florrick children have made great strides since the show began. It would be a tragedy if they took this show off the air. This might be overly optimistic, but I don’t think it will be canceled anytime soon. It has received a great deal of recognition & acclaim. If its smart, the network will leave it be.

27. Marie says:

Parenthood is the best!

28. DotDotDot says:

So glad more people are discovering the awesomeness that is Parenthood! Who wouldn’t want to watch Peter Krause every week?

29. Lena says:

Parenthood absolutely deserves this increase in ratings. This show has so much heart, so much to say. It deserves much love and attention, it simply has not gotten the kudos it should yet.

30. Leonie1988 says:

Yay for Parenthood and NCIS! I knew NCIS could do it!
    And Parenthood totally deserved this rise in viewers, I hope it’s stick!

31. Gail says:

Parenthood is my all time favorite show!! I also loved Brothers and Sisters which was axed last year! I also love Desperate Housewives that will end this year. CRAP! So Parenthood is the one! Hope it is here for years to come!

32. Joanne says:

Whatever TV exec(s) decided that changes were needed to Alisha’s character on The Good Wife should be fired. I can just hear it now…”We need to soften her up, make her more sexual, give her a new hairdo, make her more vulnerable, blah, blah, blah.” How could they not understand that what made the Alisha character appealing was the fact that she was NORMAL and NOT like most women portrayed on TV. She was not coy, she did not flirt like a school girl, she was not plagued with sexual insecurity and jealousy. No, she was believable and admirable. I predict the show will continue to lose audience until it’s cancelled sometime late next year. Shame.