Lynda Carter Weighs In On Wonder Woman Adrianne Palicki: 'I Hope She Kicks Butt!'

Not long after the news broke that Friday Night Lights alumna Adrianne Palicki had landed the lead in David E. Kelley’s Wonder Woman pilot for NBC, Lynda Carter — TV’s previous Amazonian lasso-wielder — effectively passed the baton by sharing on Twitter, “Congratulations, Adrianne!”

TV’s New Wonder Woman Is Adrianne Palicki

Carter went on to say, in an interview with the Baltimore Sun, that while she’d never presume to offer Palicki advice on how to tackle the iconic role, “If she wants to talk to me, that would be a whole different thing.”

“She’s a good actress and she’s beautiful,” Carter adds, “and I hope she kicks butt.”

Noting that Wonder Woman is an “amazing role to play,” Carter imagines that Palicki “is going to be really nervous about it, just because you would be. But I have a lot of confidence in David Kelley and what he’s going to come up with.”

An early draft of Kelley’s Wonder Woman pilot script has raised some eyebrows among comic-book purists, seeing as it gives the superheroine not one but two alter egos and refashions her as a corporate titan by day/Los Angeles vigilante by night. Carter, though, seems open to any tweaks. “I think the story needs to be retold. It needs to have a fresh look at it.” she told the Sun. “I spoke with David… and he’s really, really excited about it.”

How are you currently feeling about TV’s new take on Wonder Woman, which is detailed a bit more in our previous story? Are you willing to wait and see? And does anyone have any “dream casting” to suggest for the role of Steve Trevor? Or the new series’ big baddie, Veronica Cale?

1. Scott says:

I’m still really nervous about the show just because it’s David E.Kelley handling one of the great feminist icons of all time.

That said,

Steve Trevor – Ben Browder
    Veronica Cale – Melinda Clarke or Stephanie Romanov

2. Becca says:

Awesome!!!

Justin Hartley for Steve Trevor

3. Michael Sacal says:

15-20 years ago, Megan Mullally would have been a great Mindy Meyer.

As for Veronica Cale, how cool would it be if they were to cast Bridget Regan, who the ten people that watched Legend of the Seeker* wanted for Wonder Woman, as Wonder Woman’s nemesis?

*I’m JOKING about there only being ten people who saw that show :)

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Good thought, but I can’t see them pitting brunette against brunette, if only for aesthetic reasons. Maybe go red with Rebecca Mader? Or blonde with Sarah Brown?

• Michael Sacal says:

Well, just like Palicki has dyed her hair blonde or brunette depending on the role she plays (she was a blonde in Smallville and Supernatural), I’m sure that Regan could dye her hair blonde and cut it to match the depiction of Cale from the comics.

Mader is a good choice too, though.

4. Michael Sacal says:

Depending on that direction they take with the character (Pre Crisis or Post Crisis), Nikki Blonsky would be cast a Pre-Crisis Etta Candy.

5. Jones19 says:

I’m so excited for this show. I love David E. Kelley’s work and I’m very happy with the casting of Adrienne Palicki.

6. Ryan says:

yeah give Justin Hartley some work since CW is stupidly not producing a Green Arrow show

7. Renee says:

How do I feel? YEAH for Adrianne Palicki!!! CRINGE for David E. Kelley

8. raelee514 says:

2 alter egos is ridiculous.

• wonderking says:

They only need Diana Prince and Wonder Woman. This is not another “Sybil” remake. Being a life long fan of Wonder Woman I am heart sick of what I have read of David E Kelley’s rumored script. I’ll check the pilot out but am 99% sure I will NOT be watching if it actually makes it to a series after the pilot. And if it does not have a look and feel of what Wonder Woman has always been in a preview I will not be even thinking about wasting my time on the pilot either. DC Comics would never allow Superman or Batman to become this messed up. We wouldn’t even be discussing a crappy new costume or 3 identities, ice cream sleep overs, and dancing to Katy Perry. The whole thought drives my blood pressure through the roof. The idea we have waited over a decade for live action WW and in the same breath with what they are delivering you might as well say it’s an empty delivery. It’s an understatement to say im upset.

9. Steve says:

I actually think that they shouldn’t hire anyone from Smallville…Only because it might be worth it to see if they can have them guest star. Not so much Tom Welling as Superman, but definitely Justin as Green Arrow…Would be a fun cross over.

10. Sam says:

Bridget Regan is actually a natural redhead I believe, or at least has been one at one time.

11. I_Captain Blanco says:

Seriously, if this pilot goes to series, they NEED to cast Lynda Carter as Hippolyta, Diana’s mother.

• syvyn11 says:

Lynda Carter will be 60 when this starts. Too old to be Hippolyta. I say a actress in her mid to late 40s. I vote for Mariska Hargitay.

• Shell says:

it depends on how old Diana/Wonder Woman is supposed to be. if the script is accurate and she’s a corporate titan, she’d have to be about 30, I’d say. And I agree, Lynda Carter looks great for her age, she could pull it off!

• Tom says:

Of course, no matter how old Diana, Hippolyta, or any Amazon is chronologically, they will look 20-30. (Unless Kelley is ditching the immortality.)

12. Natalie says:

Palicki is a great choice! But I’m not sure about the plot. I say keep it clean and simple, but give us enough action ;)
    Justin hartley as Steve. After all he will be free after smallville is over.

13. dee123 says:

Carter should work more, i still love that episode of Smallville & i’m not really a Chloe fan.

14. leigh says:

Linda should’ve play Mama Bartowski on Chuck. While I love Linda Hamilton, I think Carter would’ve been better and Sara Lancaster looks just like her. OT I hope they make changes to the script and it doesn’t blow

15. wonderking says:

I am completely let down by what I have read where David E Kelley’s script is going. It is in no way Wonder Woman other then in name only. I’m fine with the actress they chose but the way the leaked script is at is frightful. Another remake going bad. I will not be watching this show if Wonder Woman is not in a version of the iconic costume and if follows to the leaked script. Thank god Charlie’s Angels will be another option. It’s an OUTRAGE DC Comics and Warner Bros. has allowed this of one of the three big heroes in the DC Universe. Pathetic! Then when it fails they will blame that on lack of interest in Wonder Woman or female action heroes when in fact it’s how Kelley is slaughtering her history in his crappy reboot.

• Tom says:

Agree 100%. I am cultivating a desperate hope that the leaked script everyone has reviewed is either an early draft with changes being made in response to critical and fan reaction, or is misinformation designed to push our buttons and then surprise us with how good the real show is. But I doubt it.

Bad as it may be, Batman survived Adam West and Joel Schumaker, and Superman survived the Salkinds, so WW will survive a crappy TV pilot. She has before: remember “Who’s Afraid of Diana Prince”? (If not, be thankful.)