Candice Accola Talks Tyler, Matt and that Dreaded Vampire Diaries Death

Tyler who? Candice Accola just chatted with TVLine about all things Vampire Diaries and this seems to be the consensus: Michael Trevino is missed on set, but Caroline’s focus has shifted back to Matt, the clueless boy next door.

TVLINE | What can Caroline fans look forward to in the next few episodes?
Tyler (played by Michael Trevino) has just left, so Caroline is just working on everything being OK. He had been consuming her time — obviously she had his back and he didn’t have hers , and he’s been the one standing in between her opportunities with Matt (played by Zach Roerig). So she’s trying to get back to herself.

TVLINE | How are things going with Matt? We’re hearing there’s a romantic moment in this Thursday’s episode.
This week’s episode creates a wonderful opportunity for Matt and Caroline to talk without Tyler there — at least they’ll have an opportunity for a potential honest conversation. And that’s all I can say.

TVLINE | Do you think Matt should be let in on Mystic Falls’ secrets? It would certainly make things easier for Caroline.
On one hand, it’s a vampire show so what fun is it if the secret is out and everyone knows about it? [Laughs] The show needs that conflict of people being in the dark. And the best part about it is the anticipation of what will happen when they do find out. I’m excited to see what the writers decide to do.

TVLINE | Kevin Williamson has revealed that no one is safe going into the end of the season. What are you thoughts on the impending Vampire Diaries death(s)?
Day one of us all getting to Atlanta, we were very plainly told that we’re on a vampire show and characters will be killed off — that’s just the premise. So it’s been in the back of our minds, but it’s hard. There are always going to be more job opportunities, but we’ve been really fortunate with the people we have had the opportunity to work with. Everyone’s just so wonderful to be around so it’d be unfortunate. When you’re part of a series, you become such a close-knit family — it’s been almost two years that we’ve been working together. It’s sad and difficult, but at the same time we know that it’s coming — although we really don’t know who it’s going to be. We feel the anticipation just as much as the audience does.

TVLINE | If you could leave fans with one good tease of what’s ahead, what would it be?
Right now, there’s so much story to be told around the sacrifice, whatever that’s going to consist of and who’s going to be involved, so a lot of the upcoming episodes are very information-based. And for Caroline, it’s just exciting that throughout this second season she’s had an opportunity to become such a stronger person through her supernatural change.

What do you think is next for Caroline? Will she and Matt live happily ever after? Catch an all new Vampire Diaries Thursday at 8/7c on The CW.

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Interviews

1. lorna says:

please kill bonnie off.

• t.t says:

*rolls eyes*… go watch twilight

• Maureen says:

While I’m not a Bonnie fan, the problem with that is it might put Jeremy on permenant suicide watch. And I’m not sure I can take emo-a**hole Jeremy again.

• Rashida says:

Still never going to understand why everyone hates Jeremy. I don’t get it and will never get it. I have adored him from season 1. I guess with all the stuff he had been through everyone expected him to not be depressed about it. *rolls eyes*

• Anonymous says:

I completely agree. I hate her character and I really hate the Bonnie/Jeremy pairing. Nothing would make me happier than if they got rid of her permanently.

• SharA says:

Totally disagree. Think Bonnie and Jeremy are one of the hottest and sweetest couples happening on TVD at the moment, great potential there I think, and there is insane chemistry on screen for those two. It always seems to be the one’s who vocalise their dislike of these two together, particularly when they stress their dislike of the Bonnie half, are either Anna Stans (sorry, but she’s dead), or the other wishful-thinking fans of the non existent Jeremy/Tyler “pairing”. Whatever. Haters gonna hate, and some ships aint gonna happen. Dear TVD: Please get rid of Jenna. And Uncle John. And Matt!

• xav says:

I love them together too. They’re really cute.

• Anne says:

I agree with you about their insane chemistry and it’s refreshing to see a couple that doesn’t involve Elena/Stefan/Damon.

I’m ready for Aunt Jenna to bite the dust as I don’t feel like she really adds anything to the show. I can say the same thing for Matt, even though I really like him. Lol.

• clair says:

i agree that they should get rid of John, definatly, he’s so irritating :@

• TVD fan says:

If they kill off Bonnie then I’ll quit this show forever: the show its bad enough as it is, imagine how worse could it get without resident Buffy, the vampire slayer (Bonnie). Same if they get rid of Caroline.

• LDJ333 says:

I’m with you…I can’t stand Bonnie. I haven’t liked her since the first episode.

2. Michelle says:

Can’t say I’m a fan of Matt. Or Matt and Caroline. Girl deserves someone equal to her awesomeness. Don’t you kill her, Kevin and Julie!

• Heather says:

I can’t stand Matt either. I’ve enjoyed the episodes that he wasn’t in. Why does everyone on the show have to be in a relationship? Let Caroline be single.

• clair says:

I love Caroline and Matt, but Caroline is awesomeness, if she got killed of i’d be so angry shes like great :))))

• Ruth says:

Totally agree that Caroline rocks and if somethings happens to her I will quit watching the show.
      Tyler needs to come back ASAP, Matt needs to tell Caroline the truth about his last talk with Tyler and then DIE already! I really hope that Matt kicks the bucket at the end of the season so that Caroline and Tyler can realize they belong together.

3. Patrick says:

So what, Tyler’s gone for good? Aw man! I loved him and Caroline together, as much as I love Matt I kinda want him to find a nice girl and leave town before he’s vampire chow!

• M says:

I don’t know if he’s gone for good. A reporter at Entertainment Weekly contacted the CW after 214 aired and said he was coming back, but who knows. However, if they plan on just bringing him back to kill him off in the finale, no thanks.

4. GrrrArrrgh says:

I LOVE Bonnie! No killing her off! They could get rid of uncle John, Sheriff Forbes, Jenna or, I have to say, Matt without most people noicing/caring though. And quite frankly I’m already bored with the main love triangle of Stefan/Elena/Damon, so if they want to get rid of one of them that’s fine by me! They must keep Caroline, Bonnie, Jeremy, Alaric, and bring back Tyler. Oh, and Elijah lives!!! (I hope).

5. Marly says:

I really don’t want anyone to get killed off! I know they have to lose some characters, so maybe Mrs. Lockwood or the sheriff? I would actually like Uncle John to bite it! Since Elijah died, i just feel deflated about the show, I really hope they bring him back and maybe kill Katherine…even tho i find her entertaining.

6. Jamie says:

Kill off Bonnie?

She’s the best part.

• GrrrArrrgh says:

Agreed.

• GrrrArrrrgh says:

Agreed!

• Kelly says:

In what universe? The girl can’t act.

• Adam says:

• JettaJameson says:

@Adam Are you on crack? Nina can’t act? She plays TWO characters and the differences between the two are so huge. Her mannerisms as Katherine are completely opposite of Elena. The girl is a gifted actress.

• Adam says:

@JettaJamson,No she can’t act and as Katherine, she has made the character a stereotype character,(ramp walks & some bitchy one liners are not acting, if one liners are acting then Heather Morris is best in TV) which it should not be and as Elena, give me one scene she has done any justice.I’m not crack, I have seen her in degrassi also, she was awful there too.If it’s Nina’s only project, I will give her some points but no she is completely lifeless here.Candice can do much more better what Nina can do and I like Katerina’s emotional scenes in TVD and these two girls have not made their character stereotype.Nina is a sweet girl with gorgeous girl but her acting sucks, she should be model or sth, not an actress.

• Kris says:

Nina isn’t good at playing Elena, I’ll give you that. Her range is very limited when it comes to playing her. However, she is amazing at playing Katherine which is why the differences between the two characters are so noticable. Nina has actualy personality when she plays Kat. I get that part of it is the writing, but just because Elena is the show’s “moral compass” doesn’t mean Nina has to play her so lifelessly.

• tina says:

Agreed Kris.Even as Katherine she overacts sometimes such as when Stefan was torturing Katherine.I like Nina but her acting is really bad.

• TVD fan says:

C’mon! Her eyes are the most expressive in the entire show! Those who have seen what she can do with Bonnie around Jeremy or Damon knows it!

• TVD fan says:

Bonnie it’s the ONLY good part!

Well, at least until they turned Caroline, now they both are the only good part.

7. M says:

Honestly, Matt and Caroline together make me want to vomit. I don’t get the big deal with Matt. At all. I think they were horrible together.

Caroline needs to be single and then maybe the show can bring Tyler back and they can be together.

8. Candace says:

You can’t kill Bonnie because they need a witch in the story. However, I wouldn’t mind Jeremy being gone. Unless they give more story to Jenna she is kinda pointless, so I can see her gone. They won’t kill Tyler so soon after the wolves becoming a main part of the story. Alaric is WAY too popular for them to kill. And unless they give more story to Katherine, I hope to god she dies.

Honestly, my money is on Katherine or Elena.

I’d like to say they wouldn’t turn Elena so soon, but I don’t know. It’s beginning to look that way. Plus, if they are gonna follow the books more, which apparently they are, Elena needs to die and turn before Katherine finally eats it.

Honestly, I would LOVE to see Katherine go.

• MrsStefanXxStephanieXxSalvatore says:

Yeah so true! But if they followed the books in that sense, would they include stefan and Elena gettin engaged?? There have been some roumors of that…

Honestly, I think that Elena will die at the sacrafice bt come back to life cause she drinks stefans blood(unless part of the ritual involve klaus actually drinking her blood??) Who knows? Anything could happen on this show.

9. Kelly says:

I think Alaric will die. No need for him anymore and he gave John back the ring.

• Adam says:

@Kelly, you are confusing her with Nina.Nina can’t act, one facial expression.Lol..And please just because you don’t like a character, don’t take it on actors, watch the actress’s emotional scenes like Grams death, her losing power and tell me then,I guess your favorite actress is Kristen Zombie Stuart.

I watch the show only for Caroline and Bonnie.Don’t you dare writers to kill my girls.Candice you are my favorite , you are so much better than Nina as actress.

• Jen says:

That would be way too obvious to kill off Alaric, we all know he’s vulnerable now without the ring.

• lorna says:

alaric is my fave other than caroline and damon, so noooooo!

10. DJ says:

I like Matt, but if anyone in Mystic Falls needs to be single, it’s him. Caroline and Tyler would have been much hotter than Elena and Stephan. A vampire and a werewolf? Willow and Oz, who?

• M says:

Seriously. I thought they were gonna play Tyler/Caroline like Romeo and Juliet amidst warring families. It was something new and exciting. But nah. Instead they pull some BS and then ship off his character to prop a fail pairing. Why does Matt of all people get to stick around? He doesn’t add anything to the plot. People just feel sorry for him cause he’s a lonely, blue-eyed woobie. I’m annoyed at Candice too because she was saying something completely different a couple months ago. I guess TPTB must seriously feed them stuff to say. And if they’re just planning on bringing back Tyler/MT for the finale to be killed off in some OMFG moment? Don’t bother. It’s a waste of time.

• Rashida says:

I completely agree. Very disappointed about the writing off of Michael Trevino. And it completely contradicted what the TPTB were saying about their slow buildup pairing a few months ago. *sigh*

• iNewbie says:

Totally agree, Tyler/Caroline had the potential to become the best romance on the show. And Candice and Michael had really great chemistry! I seriously don’t understand Caroline/Matt shippers, he’s an annoying wuss and has been treating her like crap the whole time they were together…

11. L. says:

Weid, but actually Caroline is my favorite character in this show, so I hope she’ll be here in the next season.

12. Kem says:

I love Matt\Caroline! I really hope that one day Matt will be let in on the secret. Also, they should never kill Caroline off, she’s just too good to let go.

• clair says:

i love M/C too, most people have gone off them, but i really love them. and caroline is the best charcter in the show i also like Damon. and Katherine a little bit too :)

13. Chris says:

I used to like Matt and Caroline but now that she’s a vampire and a liar I’m not sure if I’m looking forward to watching them get together again. I think Matt deserves a good storyline or die and Caroline should be with Tyler and soon die. She’s having an awful lot of screentime this season.

14. Molly says:

I like bonnie but the storylines she gets don’t fit her characters timid personality. They should give it a twist and let stefan back off from the elena/stefan/damon triangle to spice it up. They obviously aren’t following the books because bonnie and damon should be together in the book, but tv bonnie can’t stand Damon!!!

• TVD fan says:

Well, I think Damon has the hots for Bonnie and that’s what all the “kill her off” it’s all about: those two have more chemistry than the love triangle combined!

• lorna says:

i dont feel any chemistry btwn bonnie and damon, ew. and no, it’s not a racial thing. she is a good actress, just dont like the character. and ive been a caroline fan since day one, they better keep her, i think they will though.

15. Chris says:

Just saying…has anyone thought of the death being Elana…she becomes a vampire to stop the curse being lifted? That would be alot more shocking then someone just dropping…i wouldn’t expect it if I hadn’t of been watching shows like this since birth…

16. sarah says:

Please kill Katherine or Elena, both annoy me.

Love Matt/Caroline and Started to like Bonnie/Jeremy also.

• kay says:

No you can not kill Elena she is amazing Katherine can go i suppose but not Elena what story would there be with out her. She is the reason for everything that is going oon with out Elena or Katherine Caroline most likely never would have became a vampire.

17. I think Matt’s going to die. While he certainly is pretty, he’s really kinda dead-weight. It’ll shock and saddened the characters, but doesn’t get rid of the core that is the show. Also, then it’ll allow Tyler to come back.

But you’re right. Alaric might die too. I like him and Jenna though, I think he grounds the show by being firmly human but also aware of the supernatural.

18. Lindsey says:

I get some distinct feeling that one of the deaths will be Katherine. Maybe in some strange, bizarre twist she decides to redeem herself by sacrificing herself in some situation.

And I think Matt might bite the dust. They’re setting up some super romantic scene with Caroline…only to have him killed? Maybe?

Other possibilities: Alaric (but I hope not), Mrs. Lockwood (leaving the town mayor-less), the Sheriff (how would Caroline handle THAT?), Klaus (well, he is coming after them and they want to be rid of him – an original like Klaus dying – shock?), Bonnie (trying to save people/stop the sarifice), Elena (but I HOPE to goodness NOT)

19. tamim says:

I think that Katherine could be killed and that could lead to a really interesting emotional reveal for Stefan. If Stefan cries too much over Katherine’s death, but Damon takes it in stride, Elaina might have to reevaluate just who Stefan was really in love with and she might jump over to the Damon camp for a while…

• Marly says:

I’m pretty sure based on what we’ve seen that Damon would be the more devastated one. It was Damon who has loved her for 145 years, made out with her and cried when she told him she had never loved him. I’ve never seen Stefan so much as smile at her.

20. Sophie says:

Interesting. Here’s the thing, Caroline is one of my favorite characters and hopefully she doesn’t get the boot because that girl has so many potential love interests! Seriously. I think Candice just has chemistry with everybody, that’s probably why any pairing they try, I kind of just love…and that’s never happened before. I loved her with Damon, then Matt, then I loved the potential of Caroline/Tyler, and she and Stefan have this weird friendship that could be more but I know will never be because of Elena. But I think I just generally love this cast. Though, I’m not gonna lie, Elena annoys me this season and I have no idea why.

That being said, I really do hope Tyler comes back because I could totally get in on the Vampire/Werewolf love story…well, until he bites her, then…well that’s just not fun.

• Jessa says:

I totally get what you mean! No matter who she has a romantic scene with, she nails it. Even in scenes with Stefan, I can’t help but think how cute they would be as a couple and I’m a hardcore Stefan/Elena girl.

21. music says:

I really enjoy the show as a whole, so I actually like all the characters – some more, some less but I wouldn’t want any of them to die.

At this point of the story the most obvious deaths would be Luka and his father… but too obvious maybe? :/

22. Sparky says:

Kill off Jenna. No reason to keep her in the show anymore. John is Elena’s real father and Uncle to Jeremy. He’s got a blood link to both. Jenna just to one of them. Much prefer to see him stick around long term than Jenna!!!

• kay says:

Actually John may have a blood link to both but so does Jenna, she is Jeremys aunt and is Elenas aunt too. Because if John is her dad that still makes Jenna her aunt.

23. Justine says:

I know it will probably never happen but can’t they just kill off Elena and make it the Caroline show? Dawson’s Creek became Joey’s Creek from season 3 and after, and it was far better. Nina has no expression what-so-ever and Stefan is pretty boring too. Caroline should be the focus. :)

24. Kay says:

Ithink Damon/Elena/Stefan are perfect i love them, and the ‘love triangle’ that is going on. And Jenna is awsome you can’t kill off Elena’s aunt the only family member she likes besides Jeremy. I think all off the characters should stay. Except Elijah and his whitch buddies. Katherine can either leave or stay i like her so i don’t care where she goes. I think that the writers Kevin & Julie are doing a great job. I love the show it is amazing!

25. TVDFAN says:

I’d rather they kill Elena off rather than Caroline or Bonnie.. for Elena to be the lead, I find her extremely annoying. I wouldn’t be sad to see her go.. Kill Elena, keep Katherine!!!!!! Put Caroline with Stefan, Bonnie with Jeremy, Damon with Katherine!!!!! JMO

26. quirky says:

i have a feeling Luka might die…after all he gave out the secret to bonnie (though out of compulsion)….and his father threatening bonnie (to have to deal with him) if anything happens to his son wld also make sense

27. SR says:

Caroline can’t be killed off, she is too awesome.
    Alaric is still important to the story, doesn’t matter what anyone says.
    Jenna, she won’t dies, it’d be too obvious, i think. She would have to fins out about vampires first or something. She still has unfinished business, i think.
    Bonnie, though i would love it, she isn’t going to be killed off, she is “important” to the storyline and she’s a witch and what not.
    Elena? Maybe, by her becoming a vampire, but not this weeks episode, that’s for sure.
    Katherine, KW said it’s be a mistake to kill her off this early, i agree. She’s too awesome.
    Matt…as i’ve heard before “random sack of potatoes” he’s just there

I think Luka might be in danger though, and Sherif and Mrs. Lockwood. They are expendables….

28. Mike says:

I’m pretty sure Luca is not going to die. They obviously introduced him so he can leave at seasons end and move to New Salem, thus introducing the witch based series Secret Circle as a VD companion series.

29. A Matt Fan says:

Why do they always have to kill characters off? its getting to the point to where its just not shocking. In the first season yeah it was shocking but now its just dumb imo. Matt doesn’t need to be killed off he just needs a decent story and needs to know what’s going on. CA is wrong it makes things better/interesting when characters know things…. look at Buffy all her friends knew what she was and about vamps and it was good and eventually her mother. When a character is left in the dark this long it makes them look like fools and pointless and I love Matt and want him to stay.

30. Ron says:

Oh god. A show with both Elena/Stefan and Caroline/Matt pairings? It’s a double billed snore-fest. I was already fastforwarding through the Stefan/Elena parts. I may have to give up on this show.

31. jess says:

I want Caroline and Tyler together that’s where all the heat is!!

32. C says:

UGH..Matt/Caroline is so boring and they don’t have any chemistry or whatever?!Boring , boring..I want Tyler back because this whole Damon/Stefan/Elena damn triangle bores me a lot.

33. Melissa says:

Wow! The opinions here are so mixed, Let’s give Julie & Kevin some credit. I’m sure there’s a good reason for what they are doing. They have never disappointed before so sit back….relax & prepare to be shocked!

34. Lore says:

i really want the kill Bonnie, but they cant, the thoght is i like Bonnie, but the actress is the one i hate, she is not that little friend on Elena, that supportive, Bonnie in the books are, im just not happy with Kat Graham, thats all.

• Ela says:

It’s not Katerina Graham’s fault that Bonnie is not always supporting Elena or Elena’s friend always, it’s writers decision to give her a different POV that she will not always support Elena on vampires, lol…As an actress, KG just got paid to play the character and she has to do what writers make her to do, and as an actress, she has made believable that Bonnie is somebody who has strong yet vulnerable personality and it’s her credit.She is doing good in her part whether in crying or in smiling, I don’t like stoned face actors/actress at all. you are not understanding what writer’s decision or what’s actors acting.Know your facts.

35. Jessa says:

I wouldn’t mind if they killed off Bonnie. I find her character irritating and inconsistent. Plus I’m not a huge fan of the chick that plays her.

Jeremy would be fine if he could have a storyline that doesn’t involve a love interest or trying but utterly failing to save the day all by his lonesome. Seriously. Give him something else more interesting to do!

They’d best not kill off Alaric. His character is such a badass! I love him. Same with Caroline. She’s one of my favorite things about the show this season and there is so much potential for her character.

• Ian says:

Everybody that hates Bonnie should just STFu and get a life lol. The writers and editors however need to give her a way better storyline. Elena cant act shes gorgeous but cant act too stonyface damsel in distress for my liking Hope tvd does a better job though all other actors and actresses are great just hate the whole everything and everyone has to be about elena thing. Luving the originals tho, even though claire holt is not acting rebekah anymore

36. Ashley says:

Caroline>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Elena, Katherine
    Nina can’t act to save her life where for Bonnie, I’m not a fan of Bonnie but at least Katerina Graham is playing her character well but Nina is so bad in her acting where Candice is so so good, they should make Caroline as the main character.

37. Ashley says:

Ohh and Caroline is an interesting character also :D

38. Jeri says:

All the characters add to the mix and if they were all likeable it would be too much. Bonnie’s not my favorite but who knows what will evolve. I don’t want to see any of them killed off even if that is inevitable. I really like Jeremy, he’s so sincere and loveable!

We need the human characters, Matt, Jenna, et al because they can’t all be vampires or werewolves (sp?-too lazy to look up). I just want the show to stay as fasinating as it has been.

I never expected to be such a huge fan but now it’s my favorite (along with The Good Wife and Parenthood). Nice mixture there.

39. Natasha says:

I don’t like Caroline at all and she is taking too much screen-Caroline is annoying me so much.Ugh…

40. Sara says:

I love the matt/caroline thing. They are both great but Id love to see him turned! Elena just annoys the hell outta me and I dlove to see a shake up and have her leap into Damons camp. Stephan? well hes been mr goody twoshoes for far to long and very boring!

41. Kyle says:

If there going to kill characters they can kill uncle John, but don’t touch Elena, Damon, Stephen, Caroline, Bonnie or Katherine. But they killed luka an Jonas so thats enough for a while. I hope the bring the original doppleganger Charlotte patrover, there has been talks about her comeing on the show which means Nina will be playing 3 characters, if she does come on she will be an 800 year old vampire and I’ve read that she will be a witch aswell, imagine the power she will have! Hope she does come on the show! They writers say if she does it won’t but this season though..

42. JD says:

Caroline Rocks! She can really sing too!! Wow – Great actor, Beautiful, Talented.