American Idol: Five Semifinalists Named, Thousands of Tears Shed!

Who are the Beatles? No, ladies and gentlemen of the Idoloonies Nation, that’s not just a correctly worded Jeopardy answer, it was also a question posed by one too many season 10 contestants during tonight’s American Idol telecast. That said, when the top 61 contestants arrived in Las Vegas to perform songs by the Fab Four, the results were generally better than expected. Two under-the-radar singers absolutely soared on “Blackbird,” and another attractive duo brought the heat to “Something.” Plus, a spooky old witch lured Idol innocents Thia Megia and Melinda Ademi to her gingerbread shack and tried to force them into the oven. How terrifying/awesome!

And that was just the first hour! From there, our trusty panel of judges — Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler, American movie star Jennifer Lopez, and Randy Jackson — sent five singers into the season 10 semifinals, while crushing the dreams of an additional quintet. Going into tomorrow night’s show, there are 30 vocalists left in a holding room, and space for only 19 of ‘em to break on through to the other side.

‘American Idol’ Leaderboard: Vote for Your Favorite Singer!

I’ll withhold comment on the rest of tonight’s proceedings (except to invite the White House intern to a future episode of Idoloonies). All my hopes and fears, triumphs and tears (and perhaps more!) will be in my full episode recap, which will publish overnight right here at TVLine.com. Until then, feel free to hit the comments and sound off on which contestants impressed you, which left you heartbroken, and whose fate you can’t wait to be revealed tomorrow!

What’s more, if you have some strong thoughts or opinions on anything you saw this week on Idol — pertaining to judges, contestants, trends or conspiracy theories — and you’d like to share them on the next episode of TVLine’s new Idol-related Web series, Idoloonies, email a paragraph or two to idoloonies@tvline.com (and be sure to include a contact phone number). We’ll be selecting a handful of readers each week to join me in cohosting the Webcast via Skype or iChat (to tape on Friday afternoon). We’ll also be choosing a Twitter Question of the Week, so don’t hesitate to fire your best shots to me @MichaelSlezakTV. Be sure to tag it #Idoloonies!

Loading video...
Loading video...
Loading video...
Loading video...
Loading video...

1. Sam says:

How the heck did Angel-Face McLongHair not get through?! If Scotty McCreery gets in over him, I will… get mad for five minutes and then sigh and get over it. But still!

• Snsetblaze says:

LOL – I was thinking the guy looked like Jason Castro. But your comment was too funny. I’m betting McCreedy gets through (and the other country guy – John Wayne Shultz gets cut) because they are looking for a country guy – and since consistency is only important some of the time when its convenient, he will get through. The want to prove a point that 15/16 is not too young so they will definitely be putting several of them through – and perhaps letting better people go.

• Rinehart says:

John Wayne already got cut in the episode tonight (he was one of the many cut on stage).

• melissa says:

Actually, he didn’t get cut in this episode. In one of the previews it showed Scotty and John Wayne walking down the path to the judges and Ryan saying something like “which cowboy will make it?”

• JenR says:

I kept saying about Deandre, “He’s so beautiful,” and then I felt creepy because he’s so young. But I appreciate his beauty in a nonsexual way, like the way you appreciate the beauty of a flower (if you are not Georgia O’Keefe).

2. Sam says:

How did Deandre Brackensick not move on? His “sing for your life” performance was beautiful? Did the law firm of Lopez Tyler & Jackson really not think he was better than, say, Clint?

3. Caitlin says:

I have to say, I’m okay with the results so far – especially the fact that a certain person with a sob story background didn’t make it through just because of said background. I feel like the judges are, so far, going for quality. They are choosing people with incredible talent and who each could be an artist tomorrow. We’ll see what happens with the last 19 slots – it could all change by then!

• Ablo says:

I’m ok that he didn’t get through — it was the right decision. What I’m not ok with is that the stupid show made it seem as if the real tragedy was that JLo had to give him the bad news. He’s the one that is off the show. He’s the one with the brain damaged fiance that he has to find a way to support. But let’s all cry and cry for the ultra rich Jennifer. Geez.

• corwian says:

Jennifer showed heart and if you have never had to make a difficult decision – then tell the person to their face – you would not understand how hard it is. Crushing someone’s dreams is not a walk in the park, no matter who you are or how much money you have.

• Ablo says:

Hardly the point. The point was AI showing it as if her pain was the tragedy. I’m guessing she will recover from it just a bit more easily than the kid. Showing a little of her reacting emotionally would have been fine. That’s not what they did.

4. kt says:

I am mighty proud to say I voted in the poll earlier for Paul McDonald as my favorite, based off of about 20 seconds of air time. Wow, did he ever shine tonight! Plus he’s the first contestant to compete with an original song , and it’s an amazing song at that. FYI…It’s called “American Dreams” by his band the Grand Magnolias. I highly recommend snatching it off iTunes before it gets taken down!

• elosie87 says:

So glad he sang that, I love that song.

• Amanda says:

I love you! I’m in the same boat and have been pulling for Paul since his audition of “Maggie May.” Unfortunately he got literally NO air time tonight and I was almost afraid they wouldn’t show him during Beatles night. Thankfully he did and I’m less worried about him being another forgotten face on the show. He blew me away with his cover of “Blackbird” and made me remember just why those first few seconds of “Maggie May” made me a fan this whole time.

And I also chose him during the poll :D And his original song, sooo glad he performed it! Other great songs by the Grand Magnolias to definitely check out are “Heartbreak” and “Sing Out” listen to those and tell me you can’t hear that on the radio.

• Snsetblaze says:

I love him too. He reminds me a bit of Rod Stewart, with a bit of James Blunt and Ray Lamontagne and even a bit of Paul Simon thrown in. He has a fantastic smile.

I think if certain guys get through they have some real originals this year. I’m really like McDonald, Brett Lowenstein, Casey Adams and even Jacob Lusk (and I don’t generally gravitate towards R&B/Gospel singers – too many of the guys sounded to much alike and try to do too many runs.)

As far as the girls, I don’t see Steven’s Janis Joplin in the bunch which is too bad. I did like Pia Toscano and Rachel Zevita. I was sorry to see Denise Jackson, Lakesha(does she look like Aretha Franklin or what?) and Ashley Sullivan go (would have been an interesting top 24 with her and her emotions in it).

5. oriharakaoru says:

Two more hours of OMG DRAMA tomorrow. Uhhhh…I think I’ll just read the recap. That kind of stuff makes me rage-y if I watch it live.

• Ghost of Kelly Clarkson says:

Good call, oriharakaoru. We did see some pretty good Beatles covers, but the second hour of the program was a long and overly dramatic build-up to J-Lo crying off her false eyelashes. Ugh. In the end, the person she “auf’ed” deserved go be sent home, based on the Hollywood week performances. And speaking of Hollywood week doings, I’m guessing that one of the Top 24 will be voted off solely based on Group Day shenanigans. Karma, my friend…

6. Marta says:

I worry about Paul McDonald–
    …worry because I think hes a really cool talented guy, that will go far cause women will LOVE him and hes reallllly interesting— causing him to be lumped in with Cook, Allen, and DeWyze throughout the season. People will never shut up about it- mark my words.
    He had a STELLAR showing tonight- I’m on board- and I didn’t even care that much for his original Maggie May audition

• Vivian says:

Tonight is the first night I’ve noticed Paul McDonald. I don’t remember his audition. But I must say I really liked him. And you may not like this, but I am a Cook fan! DeWyze and Allen, not so much. :)

• Marta says:

Oh I am a HUGE DC face too :) If Paul separates himself enough from Allen/DeWyze and captures the hearts of DC fans- he could go FAR!

7. Milly says:

I think the judges/producers are doing a better job this season of making sure there are some amazing singers in the top 24 (cutting Medina despite his backstory was unexpected and appreciated), but they also let through a couple of people you know are just there for canon fodder. Will anyone actually vote for Jordan Dorsey? Not only did he get a villain edit, but he also only has an average at best voice. The other guy in his group with Robbie was so much better, yet no praise was thrown his way and he was actually told by the judges they never remember him.

Gotta say I’m surprised they let through Paul McDonald. He’s everything they’re not looking for, but he’ll easily make it into the top 24 (wgwg understated voice + semi good looks was enough to get his name trending on twitter tonight.

8. Jason S. says:

Did contestants actually sat “Who are the Beatles? Cuz if I was Steven Tyler I would eliminate them right then.

• Saracen Riggins says:

WORD.

• sara says:

Seriously!! What planet are these people living on??

• ginaM says:

How can teens not know about the Beatles? My teen and pre-teen both know about the Beatles even as they listen to Top-40 junk. You would think that all Idol contestants would have watched the last couple of seasons where Beatle songs have been heavily used.

• Snsetblaze says:

Yes, that one who said she had never heard a Beatles song in her life …. I guess she never watched American Idol before either because there have been plenty of those songs on Idol throughout the years.

• Vivian says:

It’s funny since the moment I watched it on TV I turn and said to my hubby, “Didn’t she watch Idol before? They were so freaking excited they finally get the copy right issue resolve that they did it 2 weeks in a roll!” I swear AI was liking Beatles so much that it was worst than my son with his new Thomas toy train set…

9. Saracen Riggins says:

Thrilled that Paul made it to the top 24. Now I’m just waiting on Robbie and Casey to go through. I’m sure there are others I’ll be happy about – such a good crop this year. But that’s all I can think of off the top of my head. I’ll tell you who I’m not thrilled about though is Haley Reinhart – doesn’t her voice just sound like pure WHINE to anyone else??

• Amy says:

ITA. Not loving Haley.
      With Hollie, girl who cried & recovered, her voice at least was pure and not shouted. I would have taken her over Haley.
      Not loving Clint either and not because of Jacee’s ousting. He bugs and his voices grates.
      Happy with all the others they put through tonight.

LOVED the 2 keyboard singers. AMAZING Performance.

• Snsetblaze says:

I go back and forth on her. Sometimes, I think I like her and sometimes she sounds like a cat being tortured.

• Bambi says:

I’m with you, Saracen. Her voice is incredibly grating to my ears. And she doesn’t know when to use restraint… But yay for Paul!

• Charmin Please says:

Haley Reinhart sang so many runs I was grabbing for the Imodeum-D.

10. Michael says:

I’m torn over the first girl they let go. She was excellent. While I agree that she could come back even stronger, the same could be said for any 15, 16 or 17 year old in the competition and we all know that the cute blonde 15 yearold with the big voice is going to make it through.
    Chris M is a very good guy and I actually enjoyed his Coldplay cover, but that was the first time I thought that he was a decent singer. He didn’t deserve to go through.
    Unfortunately, that means the other, drawn-out sobstory, the screamer, will be put through. I’m not looking forward to hearing him screech for weeks on end.

And, am I the only one who noticed that Jennifer Lopez is actually somewhat intelligent? It’s really jarring. Add on what was seemingly genuine emotion and I might have to reevaluate my long-held opinion of her. She’s a good judge and…a human being? Idol is turning my world upside down.

11. Mel31602 says:

Hollie should have gotten in over oversinger Haley, and with Molly also gone my two top girls are out. Otherwise most of my faves are still in limbo. The only real surprise was Chris medina getting cut, and my stupid local newspaper put that in a headline a few days ago so it was amticlimactic

• Snsetblaze says:

Bummed about Molly being cut too. She can come back next year though – Haley did. But what was interesting was her interview afterwards … everyone else says “I’m going to keep singing.” She basically said – maybe it should be a hobby on the side. While we did not actually get to see any of her and have no idea why she was actually cut, maybe the judges realized it was her all consuming passion and not the end of the world for her. With a White House internship behind her, she’s not going to have any trouble obtaining employment (or even meeting the right people to get some kind of recording deal).

12. Sue says:

Paul McDonald has been my favorite based on 20 seconds of Maggie May and he completely broke all of my expectations. Not only is he good, but he is a truly gifted and unique singer. Can his different voice be relevant for weeks on end? It remains to be seen. Plus, you have to give kudos to any many that wears a super cool suit with flowers on it. He gets style points for sure.

Many thumbs up to Idol for: letting Chris Medina go even with his Danny Gokey like story, Hollie Cavanaugh not getting through (the weaker voice of Jacee should go even though Hollie’s voice was better) and for giving us a glimpse of what Jimmy Iovine will be doing.

13. Lilly says:

“Bury her out on that stage” is the best thing that I’ve ever heard on this show. Instead of three hours of the chair round, we needed to see more of that vocal coach. I loved the performances tonight, it looks like they found a lot of talent.

• forrest says:

even though the vocal coach got the ‘villian edit’ truer words were never spoken. This is the person who should be the prime mentor and a regular right there with Ryan. A breath of fresh air honesty to kick reality into some of these wanna be’s. A Nice addition and a break from ‘the formula’ this show has fallen into.

• Amber says:

Really? I thought she was awful. Not even a little bit helpful, and overacting to get more time in the spotlight. I thought she was attempting a poor imitation of Simon.

• JenR says:

Really? I hated her almost as much as I hated that choreographer on Making the Band.

• Jill says:

While they definitely overplayed the villian voice coach from hell scenes, I was amused by it. Can’t say I’ve seen Idol take quite that angle before. What I loved was the way she-devil coach and the keyboard player looked at each other while watching the two girls sing. I must’ve rewind that part several times. Pure awesome entertainment. Proof that a mere look is speaks volumes.

14. Amanda says:

Glad they finally showed Paul McDonald some love and he killed it with that cover of Blackbird. Did you also notice the few seconds of Fleetwood Mac’s “Landlisde” he covered earlier on during the show, maybe a week or so ago? Definitely something that should have originally aired, maybe then people wouldn’t just be finding out about Paul until now.

I feel the same about Molly who was voted out. I wish we could have at least seen a bit more of her journey and decided for ourselves whether or not she deserved to move on. Please track that girl down for Idoloonies! Would love to see that.

Also, Tim who sang “Something” whoa, he came out of nowhere. Hope he goes a long way too!

People idol needs to not put through: Scotty “turn the light down low” and the Adam Lambert wannabe

People that need to go through: Cassie Abrams! Tim Helpernin(something like that, Thia(something)

• kivadiva says:

tim helperin, i think his name was. i too was blown away when he sang that duet with this other girl on the piano. i don’t remember him from previous episodes nor do i recall his audition, but boy, can this guy sing. i hope he makes it to the top 24!

15. sara says:

Yea, so apparently the producers new strategy with Lauren is to show her on camera every 10 seconds and to have her crying pretty much continuously. ummm, no thanks, not working.

That said…. was actually impressed with the judges decisions so far. Definitely happy to see Naima, Ashton and Paul go through. Surprised that Holly and Deandre didn’t go through. Glad to see Chris not make it, could this be the year voices actually matter?

• ginaM says:

I will lmao at producers if Lauren makes it to Top 24 and we the public don’t vote her in. But of course I think there is judges wild card and they would probably waste it on her.

16. Kevin says:

Paul McDonald has some great stuff on iTunes (under the band names Hightide Blues and The Grand Magnolias). Compare it to what Lee Dewyze self-released before Idol. So, in theory, Paul’s already more talented than the winner of last season.

• Smc says:

Was Lee DeWyze’s pre-idol stuff good?

• Kevin says:

I’d give it maybe a C+. His voice even then was cool and interesting, but his songs were a little on the dull side. Paul’s stuff is more like an A-, incredibly well-written and diverse. His bands sound like something that should be much more popular than they are.

• Sue says:

Thanks for the tip. His original stuff is really good. I was worried that he was too unique, but he is just really good.

17. mu-shoo says:

I’ve liked the judges so far this season, and have been particularly impressed with Jennifer. She’s stunning. When she lost it at the end, worried that she didn’t “tell him right,” she again earned my respect. I wholeheartedly agree with the judges’ decision on this one. I know the producers manipulated the audience into feeling sympathy for that dude and he only went as far as he did because of his back story. But I felt her tears and her concern for him were completely genuine, and not just for the camera. The judges have seemed concerned for the well being of everyone they’ve cut loose so far.

• corwian says:

@mu-shoo,
      I have noticed the big difference in season 10 is that the judges CARE about the contestants. That seemed to have gotten lost somewhere in prior seasons. Jennifer and Steven are a fabulous addition, and gaining my respect more with every show. It is refreshing to see that other people feel the same.

18. Li says:

Found a video of Paul McDonald explaining the suit he wore and performs a little of the orignal song he sang

19. Nielej says:

So far so good. Not sure why the mr. Magoo glass wearing gnome was let through but as others said, the show needs cannon fodder so don’t bank on him in your office pool.

Why did Jennifer allow Nigel to edit the ending like that? Did she really need that much therapy/support group love from Jackson and Tyler? Too much forced drama.

• Ghost of Kelly Clarkson says:

Totally agree with both statements, Nielej.

• Jessica says:

Agree with both. Jennifer needed to get a grip. I hate the line “I don’t want to do this anymore” whether she meant don’t want cameras on me or what but it’s business- a job. I understand some tears-Chris was the nicest guy.

• The Wheeze says:

“Mr. Magoo glass wearing gnome” LOVE IT! That is a perfect description! He is definitely cannon fodder with his “villain edit”(which is richly deserved!), his running over hills trying to catch a train singing, and his joseph and the multi-colored eyewear fashion of BAD eyewear! I would of thought one of the other guys were more deserving.

20. James says:

Man I am pissed that Clint made it through…hes a class a D-bag…voters hopefully will realize this and get him out week 1 or 2…

21. annab says:

Paul McDonald, where have you been all my life? :)

22. Banthapoodoo says:

Naima made it through and that’s all I really cared about. She has what it takes to be Top 5 at least. And I like that she dropped a Fly Girls reference on Jennifer!

23. Bridget says:

Loved the duet of Something with Julie Zorilla and Tim whatever his name is. May have even swooned a bit at Tim.

I’m not, however, convinced 100% on Paul McDonald. I do like the Rod Stewart-ness of his voice and I mean, sure, he’s pretty fine, but there’s something weirdly menacing about him. Is it his eyes? Is he dead behind them? I guess I should just wait to judge until next week.

24. Amber says:

Tim, Paul and Casey are my favorites so far.

25. Sean says:

Paul McDonald sucks. Deandre sounded better than him and he got cut.

26. john t. says:

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for praising Paul, Kendra, Tim, and Julie! those two duets were my favorites of the night, and definitely the most impressive!

27. madonnaga says:

it seems the strategy with the age drop is to find kids this year who will bring the audience back next year or the next year to watch them “win it all”. love how paul mcdonald is the first “original” finalist NOT to appear to be repulsed by the fact that he’s on AI, which is so endearing. ashton jones has a crazy voice, she is one to watch if she can get/keep it together. can’t believe we never heard the 16 year old dude from la sing, who they showed crying at the end of the first hour, i don’t think they every put him on screen with a name. and bummed we never saw the harvard girl sing again either. hope that the guy who was singing at the piano with the pretty sf girl gets through, he was awesome. and just gotta say, sadly, come on AI, don’t reel us in to try to get us to feel … j lo’s pain?

28. Pat says:

I was a fan of tonight’s episode. We heard some form of singing from 42 of the 61 contestants, which is very impressive.

Right now, I’m a Tim Halperin and Paul McDonald fan.

Those 2 killed it! Where have they been hiding?

AWESOME! Kendra, Julie, Ashton, Naima, and Jacob also are on my watch list.

Right now there’s only a few people (i.e. Clint, Jovanny, Scotty, Thia, Jordan) that I feel don’t deserve to be there at all. Which is impressive.

Also, what is it with this show and cutting great black male talent and only putting through unbearable twats? Aaron Sanders voice is fantastic and he’s got soul, man! Jordan Dorsey aka Jermaine Sellers with slightly better vocals does not deserve to move on! Aaron Sanders does!

29. J says:

Big yes to inviting Molly DeWolf Swenson to Idoloonies!

30. Blank Slate says:

Totally entertaining and lots of genuine talent. I’ve also noted MANY likeable people. I think we will enjoy this season’s contestants. I like to LIKE the people we’re watching.

Clint, that means YOU can leave now. :>

Speaking of likeable, I was surprised Carson and Casey Howell were cut. They had interesting looks and quirky personalities. I for sure thought they were a part of the chosen few.

Is there a person alive (or on this board) that doesn’t see Lauren Alaina heading straight to the top 10? And is there a person on the board who can tell me… WHY?

31. Keep the CHANGE says:

I was glad to see Molly eliminated.

32. darcy's evil twin says:

Well, Blank Slate, I have NO idea why Lauren is going straight to the top. It is a mystery to me. that said, I rather enjoyed Lauren, Scotty McCreery, and the other girl’s group number (“Hello, Hello”) even thought the judges weren’t wild about it.

I didn’t quite get all the drama and tears over learning one lousy song. Yea, I know, someone’s going to reply “have you watched this show since the beginning?”. It just seems like the drama was excessive tonight.

I loved the duet with Scott Halperin and Julie Zorilla (“Something”) and “Blackbird” was absolutely incredible. My gauge for a performance is when someone makes me enjoy a song I”m not wild about, and Paul McDonald and Kendra Campbell made me love “Blackbird”. It was like Crystal Bowersox singing Tracy Chapman’s “Give Me One Reason” last year. I do not like Tracy Chapman at all but loved that rendition.

I”m really liking Paul McDonald, even though he is a WGWG.

33. Lori says:

I’m super bummed chris m didn’t go through & yes he has a sad story but I truly loved him! I downloaded the script after he sung that song…I its not about his story….he did sing good & I wish the best for him.

34. James says:

What’s with all the Scotty hate? He had ONE misstep. He was great tonight. Get over yourselves people. We NEED some country in the top 24.

• DookDood says:

I agree! What’s wrong the Scott? I think he sounded great. He’s one of the best country voices we’ve ever had on Idol. I hope he does well!

35. Sally in Chicago says:

Peggy Blu makes good TV, is she coming back?

I think JLo is just tired. She looked fabulous — like a real star! But I think this long slog on TV is taking its toll, and she was the one giving the most critique to the singers. She was the most animated and really sincere. Steven pretty much sat there, didn’t have a lot to say (preserving energy).

36. Blank Slate says:

The dynamics between Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler are fabulous. They seem to connect on an amazing level, two artists from 2 different worlds and yet, together, voila, it works. I feel bad for Randy. J Lo and Tyler only seem to turn to one another, talk to one another, react to one another’s comments and react looking at one another when a contestant turns them on.

Randy seems like the dawg left behind. He’s the 3rd wheel. I’ve noticed him reminding us he’s been there 10 years and yet, quite frankly, his presence is muted in both Tyler’s and J Lo’s magnetic charms and star quality.

Sorry, Randy. Just keepin it real, just the way you like it.

37. Sally in Chicago says:

I want Peggy Blu to come back. She’s the new Simon! LOL….As for the performances, I think Naima has a real future as a jazz singer….bummed that Deandre didn’t make it — was he too “immature”? Not enough personality? What the heck caused them to choose Clint over Deandre?

Anybody else notice that not a lot of 15 and 16 yo’s made it (top 24 revealed)? After all that touting that the teens were “great”, not many made it through.

38. Christina says:

The standouts from the Beatles challenge for me were Paul Mcdonald, and Tim Halperin. They obviously got the Beatles while others had the audacity to ask who the Beatles were. Seriously! How can any musician not know who the Beatles are?

I don’t know if I’m the only one who recognized this since they focused on the vocal coach from hell, but Katherine McPhee’s mom was one of the vocal coaches.

39. dctoronto says:

Am I the only one who almost fell off my couch after my eyes were treated to the spectacle of a sweater that Lauren wore during her Beatles performance?
    Three thoughts went through my mind pretty simultaneously.
    1) Trailer-trash
    2) I saw women wearing those sweaters on the Altantic City boardwalk circa 1996.
    3) Charlene Frazier (Jean Smart-Designing womnen) wore that on an episode of Designing Women when she was trying to impress this married man she was dating.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Hey, that was nothing compared to those 1970s hotpants the black singer was wearing in that group (but I liked her, by the way).

40. Elena says:

I’m surprised Deandre didn’t make it. These judges keep talking about “the entire package” and he certainly was that (looks, hair, voice). I’m okay with Chris leaving although I don’t think he was the worst one there. These sob stories eventually backfire and maybe TPTB knew that and got rid of him now. Besides, AU got what they wanted out of him although I do think Jennifer’s remorse was real. Paul has an interesting and quirky style and a definite artist vibe. He reminds me a lot of Rod Stewart. Still, I’d be sorry to see another AI winner with a small voice. I really hope one of the women take it this year (Pia, Naima, one of the Laurens).

• Sue says:

I thought Paul had a small voice too until I listened to his music with The Grand Magnolias on iTunes. So much better than I thought.

41. Molly says:

A little late with this comment, but it still deserves saying:
    How on earth did all these kids manage never to hear of the Beatles or know a single one of their songs!!?? I mean, they all talk about watching AI almost their entire lives, how did they miss all those Beatles nights? If they seriously want to compete, they should have been spending their pre-15 years researching the music of all previous theme nights as well as any AI-critic suggested theme night. They should already have lists of potential songs. It is obvious (esp. with the 15 & 16 yo)that most of them have been groomed for this competition almost from birth…. singing and dancing lessons et al. Why haven’t their lovely stage parents also spent some time preparing them in terms of the types of music they will likely have to sing? It is a disgrace for anyone who wishes to be a singer to profess total ignorance of artists such as the Beatles. That alone should get them booted from the competition! Inexcusable!