NBC Renews Sing-Off, Two Other Reality Shows

It’s a good day for Nick Lachey.

NBC has announced the renewal of three of their most successful reality shows, including the Lachey hosted Sing-Off, the Lisa Kudrow produced Who Do You Think You Are? and network staple The Biggest Loser.

“Alternative series such as these three bona fide hits are important not only to their loyal audiences but also as strong components of the NBC schedule,” NBC Chairman Bob Greenblatt said in a statement Tuesday. “They are each unique, attention-getting shows with terrific producing and talent auspices, and we’re proud to be associated with them.”

Loser launched its 11th season this January with the Couples edition, and is currently NBC’s number one series among women 18-49 and women 25-54. Elsewhere in the lineup, WDYTYA‘s Season 2 is in full-effect with upcoming guest stars Kim Cattrall, Gwyneth Paltrow, Lionel Richie, Ashley Judd and Steve Buscemi. And The Sing-Off‘s second cycle last December saw viewership jump 28% from its first installment.

Which series pickup are you happiest to hear about? Let us know in the comments!

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: News, Renewals

1. J says:

Ecstatic about The Sing-Off’s renewal!!!!!!

2. David says:

SING-OFF!!!! Simon Cowell needs to take a hard look at Ben Folds and Co. about how to judge/critique singers! Viva la a capella!

3. Dani in NC says:

I’m most excited about “The Sing-Off”. It has the fun of other talent shows without the ugliness. It also doesn’t drag on too long, like “American Idol”.

4. marjack says:

Yay for the Sing Off!!!!!!

5. Nick says:

“Who Do You Think You Are?” is one of the greatest shows on television. History is such an underrated topic for a reality show. Everyone loves to hear about ancestry, whether it’s their own or not.

• innerjuju says:

‘Who Do You Think You Are’ is GREAT!! How can you compete with Kim Catrall finding out her grandfather was a bigamist?

6. kristen says:

The sing off. Nick lachey is a great host. I love the show wish i could be on it to compete in a group never gonna happen.

7. Susieq says:

Ok so they are renewing Who Do You Think You Are and The Cape is being cancelled??!! The Cape has better ratings! Such is life.

• Jennifer says:

Not true. The episode of Who Do You Think You Are? that aired Friday had 5.9 million viewers and a 1.3 in the 18-49 demo. The last two episodes of “The Cape” had total viewers of just over 4 million and 1.2s in the 18-49 demo. Plus, expectations for a Friday show are typically lower since fewer people stay in and WDYTYA is surely less expensive to produce than The Cape.

It’s so telling that these, football and 30 Rock are the only shows NBC has renewed so far for next season. NBC has become the network where scripted shows go to die.

8. Samantha says:

I just want them to renew Chuck!

9. mdz says:

All I care about is NBC renewing Chuck!! I want season 5!!

10. Kay in Mo says:

WDYTYA is the most awesome show, but way to short in my opinion. An hour would be great. Sing-Off is fantastic. That was some real talent on the last series.

• Elaine in Missouri says:

WDYTA is indeed an awesome show, but it IS on for an hour. Two hours would be great, but I think two hours would bore everyone who is not a genealogist or amateur family history researcher.

11. Mike McCormick says:

WDYTYA is a TV show that does a lot to help people find their connection to life. Very good show!

12. kay says:

So excited to see WDYTYA renewed for another season! Fantastic show, which is really getting people interested not only in their own roots but also making history come alive! Great job…. keep up the good work! I am a loyal fan.

13. Mary says:

Delighted to know that WDYTYA is being renewed for another season. I wish it was on for longer than an hour but understand some viewers would find that just too long – however, wouldn’t it be great if an uncut version could be shown on the NBC website? I watched some deleted scenes from the past week’s episode and those scenes really added to the story of Kim Cattrell’s grandfather.

14. Bonnie says:

I love the WDYTYA series. Due to the show, I was able to find where my 4th g-grandfather was buried when he was shot during the Civil War. The connections they offer are great. I just found out that you can purchase Season 1 on DVD. I truly hope the show continues, but with some regular people, not just all stars

15. Candy says:

I love WDYTYA.

At first, I watched it because it was about history and genealogy. But, it only took a few episodes for me to realize the show was entertaining to anyone. It is the only show on TV I watch without doing chores, surfing the net, browsing a magazine or something else at the same time. Thank you, NBC, for putting together such an engaging series.

16. Joan in So California says:

Thank you NBC for renewing another season of WDYTYA. Such a variety of backgrounds, from last year’s royalty in Europe to this year’s residents of a Poor House. I learned from the Tim McGraw episode when the King of England drew the line along the ridge of the Appalachians for settlers to stop and go no further. Now I understand why my ancestors were just east of those mountains in Colonial Virginia. Making history come alive is so exciting.

17. Carly H. says:

WDYTYA is so engrossing that the hour flies by. I LOVE this show! I’m elated that it’s been renewed for a third season. THANK YOU NBC!
    I also enjoy the Sing Off.

18. Alice Geier says:

I am so happy that WDYTYA is being renewed for a third season. I am the family historian and I am just glued to the show, then I watch it again on the NBC website the next day just in case I missed something. I learn something new about genealogy every week. Thank you NBC for renewing it. :)

19. Joe Fibel says:

I have been interested in Family Roots for almost 30 years and although WDYTYA? shows the protagonist’s successful findings it doesn’t really tell how he or she figured out how to gt there. But it is an entertainment (and advertising show for Ancestry.com)not a instructional show and very interesting. In is certainly an incentive for all of us to find our roots which is a very good thing.

20. Gail D. says:

WDYTYA is this family’s choice! Three generations watch every episode and then email each other about what they learned that might help us in our own genealogy research.
    Huzzah to NBC! Bring on the next adventure. A suggestion from the ‘tweens: Try doing a follow-up of that season’s stars. Have they continued the research on their own, with other family members or genealogists? What did they find? Where did they search?

Or, segway to the genealogists in the story…how do they proceed in their research? How long does it take to gather the proof needed to help their client? Does the client get referred to another expert in the next step because of change in location, topic, or area of expertise?

21. Carol A. Preece says:

WDYTYA is not only entertaining, it is important for viewers to realize that each of us might have similar things in our families past. We develop a greater appreciation for history. Fleeing military drafts in 1848 Europe, tax collectors, prosecution for capital crimes like murder. The story of struggle generation by generation: disease, armed defence & offence, natural disaster, discrimination etc. I’d like to see the show highlight ordinary people, maybe one each season, an “Everyman/woman Show”.

22. JJ says:

I wish they could do 2 Sing Offs a year… Oh well, have time to free up my nights starting Dec 6, 2011.

23. Bev says:

WDYTYA! is so fantastic & engaging for our minds. Also, Sing-On and I reiterate it should be titled Sing Onnnnnn as it is positive and so entertaining!

24. Melissa says:

Love, love, love WDYTYA! My sister and I are glued to the TV when it airs and then I watch the deleted scenes on the computer. It would be even better if it was at least an hour and a half. An hour is just not enough. I wish there was one show a week for a celebrity and another show every week for a non-celeb. Then wrap it up with a special or two about how they do the research. When will Season 3 be on the air? I can’t wait!