The TVLine-Up: TV Worth Watching This Week

Between broadcast and cable, there are exactly one kajillion different things to watch this week. We’re here to tell you about 23 of ‘em.

Zachary Levi: This Week’s Chuck‘s Is ‘Very Eyes Wide Shut‘ – Minus the Orgy

8/7c | How I Met Your Mother (CBS) | “Diane, tonight I must detour to New York City, to make trouble for Ted Mosby.” IOW, Twin Peaks‘ Kyle MacLachlan is guesting as Zoey’s ex-husband.
8 pm | House (Fox) | During a quasi-controversial “Career Day” appearance, House gets schooled by some fifth graders on how to make things with Cuddy go more smoothly.
9 pm | The Chicago Code (Fox) | I challenge you to stay one step ahead of the slithery Alderman Gibbons. It just isn’t possible.
9 pm | Gossip Girl (The CW) | It’s Eric’s 18th birthday, which can only mean one thing: Lavish party!
10 pm | Hawaii Five-0 (CBS) | Funny man Dane Cook is in serious trouble as Danno’s bro.

Adrian Pasdar Previews Castle‘s Intense, 24-Like Storyline

8/7c | Glee (Fox) | It’s time for The Rachel Berry House Party Train Wreck Extravaganza, featuring free-flowing booze and bi-curious liplocks!
9 pm | Raising Hope (Fox) | Amy Sedaris (Strangers With Candy) swings by as a scheming cousin of Virginia’s who mistakenly believes Maw Maw has croaked.
9 pm | NCIS: Los Angeles (CBS) | Deeks is shot during a convenience store hold-up. But was he the intended target… or Apu?
10/9c | The Good Wife (CBS) | America Ferrera (Ugly Betty) begins a three-episode run as Wendy Scott-Caar’s illegal nanny. Icing on the cake: Gary Cole returns as Kurt McVeigh.

NCIS Exclusive First Look: Trouble for ‘Tiva’?!

8:30/7:30c | Better With You (ABC) | This is the episode where JoAnna Garcia’s hubby, New York Yankees slugger Nick Swisher, really steps up to the plate (as a guest star).
9 pm | Shedding for the Wedding (The CW) | You scoff at its inclusion, and yet The Biggest Loser continues to put up big numbers. This new competition series (brought to you by a Biggest Loser EP, natch) awards a dream wedding to the one couple, of nine, that drops the most pounds.
10 pm | Off The Map (ABC) | Just when you thought last week’s drama had subsided, bam, the medical transport helicopter crashed in the jungle. And.. cue fresh mayhem.

Exclusive First Look: Nikita‘s ‘Mikita,’ Together!

8/7c | American Idol (Fox) | Randy, J.Lo and Steven Tyler anoint the Top 20 — and then TVLine’s Michael Slezak promptly weighs in on how they got it right/wrong.
9 pm | Nikita (The CW) | Amanda (Melinda Clarke) drugs Alex with the intent of getting at her secrets, including but not limited to the fact that she has “Baby” on her iPod.
9 pm | Thurgood (HBO) | Celebrate Black History Month by catching this presentation of Laurence Fishburne’s one-man play about the famed Civil Rights lawyer turned Supreme Court justice.
9 pm | Royal Pains (USA Network) | Season finale: Many lives are in flux as Hank and Evan faces big decisions about Jill and Paige, Eddie faces a stint in the pokey, and Divya faces a detour on her trip down the aisle.
10 pm | 30 Rock (NBC) | Jack hatches a plot to eventually run Kabletown. Hey, as long as he keeps “The Hind Side” and “Fresh-A–: Based On the Novel Tush By A–fire” on the schedule.

Fringe Bosses Previews the Second Half of Season 3

9/8c | Supernatural (The CW) | In what promises to be a highlight of this TV season, Sam and Dean are thrust into an alternate reality where they are “Jared Padalecki” and “Jensen Ackles,” actors who star in a TV series called Supernatural. Meta-hilarity ensues. (Watch video).
10 pm | Spartacus: Gods of The Arena (Starz) | The season finale, titled “The Bitter End,” finds Batiatus hungry for a whole lotta vengeance on the eve of the new arena’s grand opening.
10:30 pm | Portlandia (IFC) | What, the six-episode Season 1 is over already? Fret not, it’s already renewed!
11:05 pm | Camelot (Starz) | Get a sneak peek at this new period drama, which officially premieres April 1 and stars Jaime Campbell Bower (as Arthur), Eva Green (Morgan) and Joseph Fiennes (Merlin).

9/8c | Being Human (BBC America) | While Season 1 of the Americanized version airs on Syfy, Season 3 of the UK original is unspooling here. This week, George and Nina have their hands full with a teenage bloodsucker, while Mitchell ponders an offer from a member of vampire aristocracy.

Oscars 2011: Less Filler? Is Jack Back? Eggs? Burning Questions Answered!

8/7c | Academy Awards (ABC) | James Franco (nominated for 127 Hours) and Anne Hathaway (lovely enough in Love and Other Drugs) host this year’s kudoscast, which promises multiple changes versus the 2010 ceremony. (Tune in an hour earlier for ABC’s red carpet coverage.)

Which of the above is must-see TV for you? And by all means, hit the Comments to offer tune-in suggestions of your own!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Max says:

why is fringe not listed ?

2. geraldine says:

“8 pm | House (Fox) | During a quasi-controversial “Career Day” appearance, House gets schooled by some fifth graders on how to make his relationship with Cuddy go more smoothly.”

Sorry, this sounds ridiculus. They are ruining House more and more. Relationship advices from 5th graders.TzTztZzzz

• Cheery says:

That abstract is ruining it. The relationship aspect is just one part of his lecturing escapades during tonight’s show. I like House and Cuddy together, but describing the episode thusly is only going to alienate those who don’t. A less “polarizing” descriptor would be better; those who like just the show will be interested, and those who like “Huddy” will watch anyway (they’re still together aren’t they?).

• Teresa says:

My thoughts exactly!

• Cami says:

this description is not correct at all, the right description is House telling “confidential” stories about his patients

• Moira Cascone says:

This was the WORST episode of House I’ve ever seen. Utterly ridiculous. And borrring. What on earth were the writers thinking?

• Marcella L. Fox says:

I agree. It was the worst! Writers,go back to the good old days when House and the team solved a case. Bring back the white board. Put Cuddy back to work as administrator with a peripheral role. Retain the relationship between House and Wilson (Wasn’t this show based on Sherlock Holmes?) Stick to the formula, please.

3. Sally says:

“Twin Peaks‘ Kyle MacLachlan is guesting as Zoey’s father.”
    Um, he is her ex-husband not her father, isnt’ he?! Anyway, the preview looked great, and I can’t wait for the episode.

RE: “House gets schooled by some fifth graders on how to make his relationship with Cuddy go more smoothly.”
    I knew Huddy was lame (and hardly a mature relationship), but relationship advice by fifth graders??? Can it get more ridiculous? I still can’t get over the fact how fast the show deteriorated from pure awesomeness and brilliance to pure awkwardness and mediocrity (and worse).

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Yep, the HIMYM error has been fixed!

• Andy says:

Do you even GET the show? House has always related better to kids because he has the emotional maturity of one. It’s been one of the big gimmicks of the show from day one.

• Amanda says:

Plus kids often tell it like it is which House appreciates. He believes every one else always lies.

• bruna says:

THANK U!

• sara says:

The problem is he had already a mature relationship with stacey, an adult intelligent woman. He is not unexperienced with love. Seriously 10-12 old children have no idea what it means to be in a relationship. When he takes their advices serious than he is nothing more than an idiot…sorry.

• Mark says:

He wasn’t crippled when he was with Stacy, in fact, they broke up shortly after (hence Stacy asking CUDDY what was House like after the leg). And if you watch the show, you’d know the event changed him, making him, as House himself admitted, a worse/harder person.

• Alice says:

You have nothing yo be sorry about. Your opinion isn’t a fact, sweetie.

• Teresa says:

Sara, don’t bother trying to have a rational discussion with Huddy fans. Huddy and rationality do not go together. It’s obvious they’ll defend and eat up any awful plot device if it’s about their precious Huddy. Sad, but true.

4. timotey says:

Thank you for the Supernatural shout-out!

I would also say NCIS:LA where Deeks gets shot and the rest of the team investigates.

And White Collar where Peter gets kidnapped and Neal has to save the day.

5. Dana says:

What about Chicago code today (Monday)

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

We touted this week’s THE CHICAGO CODE in the very recent Ask Ausiello column, but I’m easy like Sunday morning — added!

6. Lea says:

I’ll watch Parenthood. It’s just the best drama on TV.
    I can’t wait to see how the things are going to evolve between Crosby and Gabby. And I’m totally loving the Sarah/Seth storyline. Lauren Graham is one of the best actress on TV.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Yeah, I’m wondering/nervous about the title of the episode: “Do Not Sleep with Your Autistic Nephew’s Therapist”! (Though I’d totally be cheering him on; it’s a Charlie’s Angel after all.)

7. Andy says:

Looking forward to ‘House’ tonight!

8. Mark says:

House looks like it’s going to be fun, I loved the previews. Also, Parenthood and The Good Wife.

9. Mel says:

I’ll watch FRINGE ! :D waiting to see more about Walter/Peter/Olivia past since last season !

10. Eddie says:

Spartacus! Glad to see the show getting some attention.

11. Epic Fail says:

No Castle- when you have the 2 parter with Homeland Security? Do we not remember how good the last 2 parter was?

No Fringe- when it’s the incredibly cool looking flashback episode to when Peter and Olivia were kids?

Shedding for the Wedding, Nikita, and Glee are really more worth watching? Do you just throw darts at the tv schedule to make these decisions? Come on, Dos Santos is tres-preggers, you can’t expect her to be the only one doing decent work.

• lauwer says:

Totally Agree with this..
      No Castle?? SHUT THE FRONT DOOR! seriously tonight is the much anicipated 2 parter episode, it’s gonna be one helluva cliffhanger judging by the sneak peeks!

• Caskettfann says:

Wtflippin’ heck?! Seriously! Castle got to be the best thing on tonight & you’re not listing it!! There must be some sort of bad typo… Now get on with it & flippin fix it!

12. Amanda says:

House looks good. Fringe is getting better each week. Also, will definitely DVR Castle tonight.

13. Laura says:

You missed Castle, which has the first part of its two-parter tonight (guest-starring Adrian Pascar), which involves a terrorist threat! It’s gonna be awesome!!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

And you missed my whopping feature on CASTLE’s (yes, awesome) two-parter ;)

• Kelly says:

I didn’t miss it, and was going to post the same thing. I assume, anyhow, that this list is for people who don’t necessarily read every article on the website (strange to think about, I know), or who might not be watching every show on TV.

I mean, you don’t have to tell Castle fans not to miss the show tonight (or Fringe fans not to watch Friday, NCIS: LA fans to not miss Deeks getting shot, etc) – fans know these things. The idea is to highlight things that might catch the attention of the casual viewer, eh?

(And saying you’ll put next week’s Castle up there isn’t fair to casual viewers who will miss part one.)

Obviously the list is subjective. Being surprised when people say “you missed X” though, seems – well, surprising.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

My point was: There’s a link to the brand-new CASTLE feature right there beneath the Monday recos.

14. Linda says:

What? Why no Parks & Recreation? You should ALWAYS include that show :))

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Everything is relative unto each series, and NEXT week’s PARKS AND REC is epic. So it’ll make the Line-Up next Monday, for sure :)

15. Valentine says:

Smallville ?

16. Jenny says:

Thank you for listing Off the Map!! This show is so good! Why is no on watching!???!?!?

• Gwen says:

I wasn’t going to get involved in “Off the Map” but I watched the first episode because I really like Mamie Gummer (Meryl Streep’s daughter); she was very good in the “John Adams” miniseries and a small movie called “The Lightkeepers” so I wanted to see her in something different. Now I’m hooked…I’ve watched every episode because I enjoy all of the actors.

17. Cailin says:

C’mon, you link to a story about Chuck, but don’t have it on your list to watch? Especially with this episode starting off an exciting new story arc? For shame!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Links to very recent, highly-promoted features on other shows (such as CHUCK, CASTLE, FRINGE…) are a way to include them on this weekly list without taking up a spot or being redundant.

• Alice says:

OK, that would make sense, if it was consistent. But they also promoted the heck out of Supernatural’s upcoming homage to the Arnold Schwarzenegger classic, Last Action Hero, and that didn’t seem to prevent it from making the list… it’s like its a crap shoot what is “Worth Watching” from week to week.

• Cailin says:

OK, I guess you are forgiven, then! :) Keep the Chuck love coming!

18. AJ says:

Dude, no Castle?

19. maya says:

The supernatural episode seems awesome. Can’t wait for how i met your mother, pretty little liars, modern family.
    Also, you list Nikita but not VAMPIRE DIARIES when it’s the last episode before a 6 WEEKS HIATUS???? (and that Katherine is just back to make things even more interesting??)

20. Becca says:

Community is looking pretty good this week, especially Dean Pelton’s outfit. Jeff v. Annie FTW, especially since it’s also against Pierce, Leonard, Starburns and Magnitude.

• Teresa says:

Community should definitely get more attention than it does!

I know! I’m so looking forward to that. I hope we get some tension filled arguing à la Cooperative Calligraphy. : )

• sashay says:

Yeah, I was wondering if it was a new one, since Matt didn’t mention it. You have me intrigued about the Dean’s outfit and the issue(s) between Jeff & Anne, vs. the others.

Community, Supernatural and Fringe are the ones I’m most excited about, with the rest of my enthusiasm saved for House and HIMYM. I’m also starting to enjoy Perfect Couples more and more. If only it doesn’t get cancelled before everyone else gets to try it!

21. GLuisa88 says:

Supernatural is going to be epic! I was a bit apprehensive when I first heard the plot but that clip totally erased all of my fears!

22. Kaelity says:

Where is Fringe?

23. Nicole says:

Why is Castle not listed!?!?! Tonight is Part 1 of a two parter, isn’t it? Tonight’s episode is crucial!

24. Kay says:

I’ll be watching “Castle” at 10 tonight (Monday). Why H50 was chosen instead when part one of an awesome, intense two-part episode of “Castle” guest-starring Adrian Pasdar from “Heroes” is airing, I don’t know. Really, “Castle” is a great show and gets far less credit than it deserves (people compare it to “Bones” a lot, but trust me–apples and oranges).

25. NanCeE* says:

Why no love for Harry’s Law? That’s my only must-see-TV on Mondays! How’s it doing in the ratings?

26. sarah says:

Where is Community or Parks and Rec? These are consistently amazing shows yet they have low ratings because they get pushed out of the lineup for stuff like American Idol. I’ll be tuning into the scripted sitcoms on Thursday.

• Alice says:

Amen to that! Like American Idol really needs any more promotion? Give us a break! Community is really under appreciated. While I’m starting to tire of the redundant Pierce storylines, the rest of the ensemble is brilliant.

• eviltwit says:

I second that. Haven’t caught P&R yet (I live in New Zealand and I’m not sure it’s showed here yet.) But, we just watched the first three episodes of Community, and I haven’t laughed that much out loud since Arrested Development. It’s really good.

27. Magra says:

Where is Castle?!!!!!

28. darklady65 says:

castle, fringe, smallville this show should have been added to this list -_- all of this will have an awesome episode this week so they should have been included in this freaking list -_-

29. Kate says:

I wish Castle was listed here. Tonight’s episode is going to be AWESOME!

30. Sourabh says:

Spartacus is going to be a pass time show that I’ll watch when I get time from the other shows.

Spartacus is the biggest highlight of my week.

31. Clara says:

It’s Parenthood for me on a Tuesday! Without doubt my favorite drama on TV and in the past few weeks, things have been really heating up.

I’d LOVE to see a little more attention for this cast here – from the 5 year olds thru Coach, they’re all incredible!

(I may want to be a Braverman a little too much! :P)

32. Cass says:

Tonight I’ll also be watching CASTLE, which begins its intense two-part fabulousness.

33. Cami says:

Can’t wait for house :)

34. Jess says:

“During a quasi-controversial “Career Day” appearance, House gets schooled by some fifth graders on how to make things with Cuddy go more smoothly.”

Aww, huddy is such an adult, complicated, sophisticated relationship, isn’t it? This sit-com is amazing!

35. Tia says:

How can it already be the season finale for Royal Pains?

• Alice says:

Because this new run of episode was not season 3, but the last episodes of season 2. Which means the 3rd season should start up this summer.

36. V says:

What about Justified?

37. Melody says:

I will not be missing Supernatural this week. I’ve canceled all plans for Friday so I can relax and enjoy the hilarity that promises to burst from my television screen.

38. Tammy says:

So I’m the only one who watches Pretty Little Liars? (Season 2 marathon on right now!!!)

39. java says:

you have been pimp’n the chole and clark wedding or the chole and oliver wedding who heck get’s hitched who knows then you don’t say nothen about it OK.

40. says:

WHAT NO SMALLVILLE???????!!!!! it looks like a brill episode

41. Katarzyna says:

Traitor… It’s CASTLE worth watching tonight, not crappy H50.

42. DarkEmy says:

either my eyes are cheating, or you totally forgot about big bang theory! :/ In this weeks episode, says wikipedia, sheldon finds out that leonard is the center of their social group… Should be awesome! :D

• Alice says:

An egregious oversight, but at least not one that will hurt the show. Here’s to a guaranteed 3 more seasons of brilliance!

43. Denise says:

It’s Molly from GH! She really is a good younger actress, looking forward to watching her grow.

44. Lena says:

I watched last night’s Parenthood. It was beyond phenomenal. The cast gave lovely and strong performances, the writing was spot on. Yet, I check back here and it wasn’t even on your list this week. This show deserves all the support in the world from people who appreciate quality television. Chalk this up as a huge “fail” on your part tvline. So not impressed with your treatment of Parenthood in general – the support you give The Good Wife in comparison is just wrong in so many ways.