Minnie Driver Catches CBS' Hail Mary Pilot

Minnie Driver is eyeing a return to series TV with a lead role in the CBS drama pilot Hail Mary.

The onetime matriarch of FX’s The Riches will play a suburban mom-turned-private eye who teams up with a streetwise hustler to solve crimes.

The L Word co-creator Ilene Chaiken recently came on board as exec producer and showrunner.

Driver — who snagged an Oscar nomination for Good Will Hunting — guest-starred on Modern Family last season as a former colleague of Julie Bowen’s Claire.

In other pilot news: Whedonverse all-star Alan Tudyk has been cast in the ABC comedy pilot Suburgatory, Deadline reports. The project centers on a city girl (Jane Levy) who relocates to the suburbs with her father. Tudyk will play dad’s old college buddy.

1. Steven says:

Now I’ll watch! I loved her in Gross Point Blank!

2. eskeigh says:

For the love of God, CBS, stop it with your procedurals or anything to do with cops and doctors. There’s enough on your network already.

• timotey says:

And what should they air? Procedurals are the least flopping genre. Fox and ABC with their Lone Stars and Eastwicks etc. should know.

I don’t care what genre a show is, as long as the show itself is good. And CBS knows its strength. They make the best procedurals.

3. lelolai says:

I love Minnie Driver, but this sounds so formulaic. She will be a divorced single mother who is a bit uptight and follows the rules. Her partner (the streetwise hustler) will drive her nuts but there will be an attraction between them. And hilarity ensues. CBS if you want a good show about rag tag investigators, pick up the brilliant but cancelled Terriers (and change the name).

4. ktwolf says:

I LOVE Alan Tudyk! This show doesn’t sound very promising, though… he deserves better!!

5. Magically Suspicious says:

The only thing that would make this news better is if Eddie Izzard is cast as her co-lead.

Now if you’ll excuse me….I’m off to do my happy dance.

6. thepinkllama says:

ugh, Minnie Driver irks me. I will NOT watch.

7. jj says:

This is CBS’s version of Castle. Minnie Driver will not draw an audience. She is way too annoying. CBS’s hot streak may be coming to an end judging from what I have read about the new pilots being developed and the lead actors in them. Blah. Person of Interest with Michael Emerson is the only won I am looking forward to.

8. joe know says:

Bring back “the riches” with eddie izzard and minnie driver with original cast!!!