Exclusive

Scoop: How I Met Your Mother to Drop Another Wedding Clue!

How I Met Your Mother fans, it’s time to break out your secret decoder rings: A hint regarding the show’s season-long wedding riddle will be dropped in Monday’s episode.

“We see a glimpse of the future in a really fun way,” reveals exec producer Carter Bays, “and the wedding is referred to in it.”

Coincidentally (or perhaps not), the main plot of the episode centers on Robin’s continuing efforts to make lightning strike between her ex Barney and the new gal in his life, Nora. “There’s a touching storyline about Robin helping Barney realize that he has to call [Nora] for a second date,” Bays explains. “As a friend, Robin is rooting for Barney.”

Well, it’s one thing to root for the guy. It’s quite another to play the role of matchmaker. “I think part of it is that Robin wants to [witness] Barney’s redemption” Bays explains. “It’s been a long time coming and we’ve seen glimpses of him as a good guy and she wants to push him in that direction.

“And maybe she also wants to get him off her plate,” he continues. “Get him settled so she’s not going to be hung up on him. There’s a lot going on under the surface.”

What do you think of the new girl in Barney’s life? Do you see long-term potential? Or just a minor distraction until he wises up and reunites with Robin?

1. lonks says:

I just want Barney and Robin to realise they belong with each other. That’s all.

• Juliana says:

Is that too much to ask for?

• Steph says:

Really!

I would hate to see the future show Barney and this character that just appeared (and is already annoying me,haha) end up together.

It has to be Barney and Robin- it just has to. I realize the show doesn’t know to make Barney into a one-woman man, so just future here marries Robin and don’t get them together until the end of the series. Of course, personally, I think the show should give the romance another shot now and this time make it work.

• DL says:

Based on the one episode, I actually really liked Nora. Whereas Robin and Barney, to me, feel too much like two peas in the same pod, I thought Nora provided a good foil or counterbalance to Barney. Personally, I wouldn’t mind seeing her stick around. It was nice seeing Barney and Robin together for a short while, but I have a very hard time picturing them going the distance.

• Mikos says:

I’m with you. Robin and Barney are bros, buddies, they hang out well and like each other. But romance, nah. The hook ups don’t bother me but all this “they have to end up together” stuff just doesn’t fit at all.

• gigi says:

i totally agree. nora and barney are cute together. robin and barney are better off as friends imo

• shiloh14 says:

I agree. Robin and Barney had their chance and it ended up having barney look like a fat geek who thinks food is the love of his life and Robin who looks like a heroin addict and picks at scabs lol. Honestly, Nora seems to be the girl for Barney, and as for Robin, Don is the guy that is Robin’s perfect match. If you listen carefully, Future 2030 Ted when he talked about Don to his kids, refers Don at one point as “uncle Don”. So, the Robin and Barney romantic era is over. Barney looks like he’s seriously falling head over heels in love with Nora and that my dear friends, is something I can’t wait to see evolving. With Robin he loved her, but it wasn’t like it is with Nora. What he feels for Nora is so much more and I think it deserves to evolve and be given a chance.

• Chris Harris says:

SPOILER ALERT

ok guys my name is Chris Harris I have been a writer of HIMYM for 6 years (look me up if you dont believe me) now Carter Bays and Craig Thomas havent revealed this to anyone yet, but the final episode has actually been written: And thats the story of How I Met Your Mother

Now, many theories have been put forward, some are good, but most are no where near correct. The bump girl was one of those, it was added in just to make people specualte and talk about the show more in an attempt to attract more viewers, Josh says he did meet his wife at the St Patricks day party, so that ones out the window.

So, who is the Mother? Well first we have to look at the last episode of season 6: Challenege accepted. The marriage is between Don Frank and Robin Scherbatsky, Ted is the best man, Marshall is a groomsman and Lily is maid of honour.
            Now why Don? As we already know Don accepted the job in Chicago as the lead anchor, leaving Robin behind. Robin later sees Don on the news in episode unfinished. Remember Ted telling Robin to choose love over a career? Well that night Ted also rang Don and told him to do the same, at first he ignored him, but later realises he has made a huge mistake and comes back to Robin.
            Why is the episode called ‘challenge accepted’? Now with this show every episode links to the overall picture, so take a look back at the time when Barney says accept, then points to Ted. This is important because when Don asks Robin to marry him she says yes, but Don says no to having Ted as the best man. Robin is upset by this, as she has promised Ted will be the best man at her wedding, so Don must accept Ted as his best man, which he does (accept-ted). The challenge part was put across by Lily (for Robin to get Don to agree to having Ted as their best man), who believes Ted would be a great best man after doing so well with Punchy’s wedding (which is not shown)

And now the answer to the question you are all asking… who is the mother?
            Well there have been rumours about step sisters and step daughters being Ted’s wife, well a sister becomes his wife – Don’s sister. Ted meets her at the reception and they instantly hit it off.

Just to prove that I am telling the truth and Don’s sister Tracy is the wife: Robin is the aunty. Ted has not met Tracy before the wedding. When Ted meets the stripper Tracy his kids are shocked. Tracy was an aspiring newsreader just like Don and so being in an economics lecture would make perfect sense.

So now you know the story of How Ted Meets Their Mother

• Rose says:

I think that Robin and Barney belong together, its great that they are both alike.
          -Barney wrote a note (when Robin was dating Don) to tell him to get back together with Robin.
          -He stated that ‘his dad’ would say ‘get back together with Robin, you belong together.
          -They have obvious chemistry.
          -They have been on and off, one night stands and a relationship.
          -They get together again (when Barneys with Nora and Robin is with Kevin)Barney tells Nora, she dumps him. Robin was going to tell Kevin but he told her that he loved her. She stayed with him. Barney had a special night planned for the 2 of them, he expected them to break up so they could have a relationship once again.
          -Robin had a pregnancy scare, she hadnt yet slept with Kevin, Barney was the only possibility. She found out she cannot have kids.

But there is another possible man for Robin…
          The guy with the ugly sweater. Ted told him that him and Robin were engaged, lies of course, he was getting back at her at a party.

Another mother theory.

Nora.

-She has dark hair, from the stella senario we can say the mother has dark hair.
          -She wants to settle down as soon as possible
          -She wants 2 kids
          -‘People keep falling in love with her’ Barney fell in love with her.
          -She was wearing yellow the first time we saw her.
          -It has been quoted ‘she smells like rain’ -the yellow umbrella
          -they HAVENT actually met, although people disagree, they have however sat in the bar together, not been seen speaking.
          -She said on a first date (with barney) that she wants to get married- Ted told robin he loved her.
          -Ted will of course have to ask barney for permission to ask her out, but Barney dated Robin. They even hooked up without telling Ted.
          -She’s a journalist. But its possible that she was in his class.
          -It hasnt yet stated where she lives
          -Ted meets the mother at the wedding, maybe if things get cleared up Robin will invite Nora, or Nora will turn up and try to get Barney back, ‘Hi, haaave u met Ted?’ :)

• Robyn says:

i agree with this one hundred percent i love Robin and Barney because they make sense together.

• Jenny says:

AGREED!!!

2. CC says:

Don’t really care, as long as he ends up with Robin! They belong together.

3. Dav says:

I think I am the only HIMYM fan in existance that doesn’t want Barney and Robin together so I’m all for the new girl. Plus, I actually kind of like Nora so I wouldn’t mind her sticking around. I’m not holding my breath though. I think this is just the writers way of keeping them apart so they can stretch out the story.

• Mira says:

You’re not the only one Dav. ;-)

• Gary says:

Not a fan of Barney/Robin either.

• Karen says:

Hated them together!

• Ivan147 says:

Nora needs to stay. C’mon while barney and robin were together were the worst episodes. Leave Nora for good. Let’s see Barney going all emotional

• Suz says:

I dont care for Barney/Robin either. Hated them together.

• bro code says:

I’m with you, I’ve never liked barney and robin together. It was lazy writing because they didnt know what to do after they announced that Robin was definitely not the mother. Also,let me add that in ‘real life’ a real ‘bro’ would never date the ex of one of his best friends.

• Kris says:

Agreed, I to was never a Barney/Robin fan. There’s a reason Joey never got true love on Friends, it would have drastically changed the dynamic as well as his character. Barney’s not fun when he’s hung up on some girl. Plus I was always kind of a Ted/Robin fan so it sucks (for me) that she’s not the mother.

• Kendall says:

You’re definitely not alone. I hated what they did to Barney in season four. Pathetically mooning over a woman is what the old Barney did, and that guy was the opposite of awesome.

• Anonymous says:

Add me to the list of people who is not a fan of Barney and Robin as a couple. I thought his crush on Robyn and resulting relationship really ruined his character. I was happy when they broke up. I just don’t understand why people like them together.

• himymfan says:

Agreed, it would even be kind of lame if Robin/Barney ended up together. I mean, you have a 5-people cast and in the end you have 2 couples and Ted. Not formulaic at all…
      It’s nice to see that there are people who do not ship Barney/Robin because I feel kinda overwhelmed by those speculations about them marrying each other. Seriously, I cannot picture Barney in a marriage, at least not the way he (still) is now. Besides, I never took Robin/Barney seriously, it was funny, yes, and nice for Barney’s character development but imo the bond Robin and Ted shared with each other was a lot stronger. There’s no way Robin and Barney make a good married couple (like Lily/Marshall) together and if they’re ever going to marry, then they’ll need someone else to counterbalance their own awesomeness…

So yeah, I rather like Nora and her British Englis :D But I doubt she’ll be “The One” for Barney (part of me hopes she is the legendary MOTHER xD) and frankly, I don’t think a character like Barney is meant to find “The One”…

• jess says:

is it just me that thinks nora and ted would make the best couple, they both want 2 kids, to settle down and she looks like the kids! i just think that would have worked with the story line….

• Ambar says:

couldn’t agree more, I can’t say I liked Barney and Robin together. Too similar.

4. JMJE says:

I have recently become obsessed with figuring out whose wedding that was. I just watched the first episode of the season again. I’m hoping for Barney and Robin.

5. eddie says:

my guess is robin pushes him and pushes him until he falls for nora so hard that he moves to fast and asks her to mary him. then robin cant take it and stops the wedding.

6. E says:

I LOVE Barney & Robin together!!! I do think Nora is adorable though, and she might be the right girl to help rein Barney in. And then as he evolves, have him come back to Robin. I want them to last, so if he needs some time before the two of them get there, I am happy seeing Barney’s looooonnnggggg needed journey. Robin had Don, so its Barney’s turn to try a relationship.

• Jeanne says:

I completely agree–Nora is really good for Barney at the moment, especically since, as Vlada of latimes.com Showtracker puts it, she is Robin lite. I really like Nora and I believe that she and Barney definitely have potential, but not long-term potential, because that’s reserved for a certain Sherbatsky. Bays tells us that there’s a lot going on under the surface–that’s gotta be that Barney never stopped loving Robin, and vice versa. So I’m going to enjoy this thing with Nora, because she seems cool and I’m almost sure he’ll go back to Robin.
      But I do hope that Barney’s journey with his father is a story he shares with Robin :)

7. Jaded Viewer says:

Oh please, it’s just another trick they are using to hide the fact that it’s Barney and Robin getting married.

• Azar says:

Maybe I’m weird, but I don’t want to see Robin and Barney get married. I LOVE them as a couple, but they don’t fit into the Lily-and-Marshall mold and trying to force them to is what IMO ruined the relationship in S5. I’d much rather see them as the pair who twenty years later is still “not exclusive” (except that they totally are) unmarried (except that they are in all but name), still living apart but still absolutely just as much in love as Marshall and Lily or Ted and the Mother. I want to see them make it THEIR way, if you’ll forgive me the Laverne and Shirley moment.

8. Jill says:

I think no one would set a true friend up with Barney the man-whore. Then again anything is better than Barney and Robin together.

9. Will West says:

Do people still consider the season premiere wedding to be a “mystery”. I thought it was pretty obvious that it was the wedding of Spanky, Ted’s friend from back home. While the character did come out of nowhere, he did go on to ask Ted to be his Best Man, which is the same wedding party role Ted was filling in the season premiere. Sure, they could all be red herrings, but I thought the season contained bigger mysteries than that wedding.

10. Diane says:

I don’t think I can root for a heartsick Robin seeing Barney date the man she’s in love with.

11. tiff says:

It’s going to be Teds HS friend, Punchy’s wedding.

12. klutzy_girl says:

I doubt it’s Punchy’s wedding. Too obvious.

Still hoping for Barney/Robin! And Nora needs to go soon.

13. alee says:

I have a theory that Nora is the mother… she was wearing yellow when we first met her, someone said she smelled like rain, and Ted has yet to meet her (and we know Ted meets the mother at the wedding).

• Melissa says:

Never thought… but I agree…

• Shey says:

I’m expecting Nora to be the mother too. Anyone else think the actress they hired looks like the “kids”? I think the aforementioned tears are from Ted stealing Nora away, who Barney is, according to the latest episode, “smitten with.” This would be a reference to how Ted was in love with Robin but Barney stole her (well, kind of) from him. Which, of course, would then lead Barney and Robin back to each other. They’d eventually be married, because of the whole co-habitation thing, but they’d never actually GET married.

Unless it was a drunken decision in Vegas. With an Elvis impersonator. That I can totally see happening.

• redreh says:

OMG… that is genius. I want this to be true now.

• Ashley says:

I agree! Remember how Cindy, the mother’s roommate, said that everyone falls for her roommate? And that Ted wouldn’t have met her if it weren’t for Robin? It’s a clever way to introduce such a long-anticipated character without putting too much pressure on her right away.

• Caiti says:

Why oh Why would Ted have not met Barney’s soon to be WIFE before the wedding? Plus, he is nervous about giving his speech. Which happens at the reception. AFTER the wedding. So he would have had to meet Nora at least standing four feet away from him, and even then, it’s too late by the time he’s giving a speech.

• Carol says:

I think they mean that it will be someone else’s wedding, and Barney will be there as a guest, with Nora as his date — so it will be plausible that Ted hadn’t met her yet.

• okayawesome says:

Ted has met her, coz she meets them to see if barney is a genuine guy, and they all lie for barney coz he has dirt on all of them :)

and robin and barney are so boring together – the first fight they had was who was more awesome, and then the tied for it.
      opposites attract!

14. lilu2go says:

robin and barney are ment to be together ! and the way they had them broke up was cheap. their story isn’t finished yet

15. John Berggren says:

I’m on team Swarkles.

16. Joey says:

I am convinced that Robin’s getting married in May… the question is to whom? We were given the awesome hint that Ted will be Robin’s “Best Man.” I’m still pulling for Don. Robin deserves better than Barney. I wanted to see them together for a little bit, just as I wanted to see Robin with Ted for a little bit, but we always knew it wouldn’t last.

• John Berggren says:

At his heart, I think Barney is the better guy than Don. I think a lot of what makes Barney “Barney” is a facade to hide his insecurities.

17. Kris says:

Did anyone else love the girl who plays Nora when she was on General Hospital? I loved Leyla and I was SO ticked when they killed her off.

• mandy says:

I agree, I loved her on General Hospital. I am excited to see her on HIMYM… I wish she was going for Ted instead of Barney though because I love Robin and Barney together!

• gigi says:

yeah i liked her ! i dont understand why people hate her though. i like her with barney here

18. Mr Potato says:

I think that the one who will be in the wedding will be barney. Because the church that we saw in the first episode is the same as the one of the father of james stinson. Celebrate this wedding in this place not would have too much sense if the groom is not barney. Nora is charming but probably she only is the excuse to make mature at barney for an future relationship with robin.
    Im sorry for my poor english.

• Jules says:

OK, now you make me think that Barney’s brother gets married.. AND this whole thing has been a red herring…

• Jeanne says:

Barney’s brother has already gotten married… it was during the 2nd season episode “Single Stamina.”
        That said, Mr Potato, that is a great catch! I never noticed the name of the church!

19. nisa says:

Barney must end up together with Robin.

20. Terry says:

I’m confused…isn’t the “mystery wedding” Punchy’s? He did ask Ted to be his best man in one episode. Maybe I missed something.

21. Beth says:

sooo, did anyone pick up on the clue in tonights episode? I am Captain Oblivious, so I didn’t notice anything and would love to hear others thoughts!

22. Sparky says:

Best thing about tonights episode is that Zoey is nt the mother. I would have hated if she ended up as the mother….

23. Audrey says:

YAY! Zoey’s not YM! And it doesn’t end well! I hope we get to see The Captain again, I love that guy!

24. M says:

I like the Nora as Mother theory, but has anyone thought that the wedding could be that of Rachel Bilson’s character and her girlfriend? Ted could certainly be the best man (didn’t Cindy thank Ted for bringing them together?), and of course the Mother would be there, since she is Cindy’s roommate.

• M says:

Notice that Ted says he was the best man at “this” wedding in tonight’s episode (as in, some wedding, as if the people getting married aren’t central characters). Wendy the waitress knows Barney and Robin, so why would Ted say “this” wedding if Wendy knew either of the people getting married?

• Rhonda says:

I’ve absolutely thought that this is the couple getting married, so I’m with you, M :)

• Tracie says:

At the beginning of the season, Ausiello revealed that the wedding in question was a male/female wedding, so it couldn’t be Cindy and the girlfriend’s wedding., unless the writers have since then changed their minds.

25. Nic says:

I’ve tried not to spend too much time speculating on the Mother so that I don’t want to invest six years of my life thinking about it only to find out that they’re all in Purgatory, but I do love the Nora-is-the-Mother theory. She wears yellow, she smells like rain, “everyone falls in love with her.” Even Barney.

26. peggy says:

My question after watching last night’s episode is why are we bothering with Zoe, now that we know she is not the mother?

Also I thought somewhere in the future Robin ends up with Don again?

27. anonymous says:

Hm could it be that later on Ted decides to bring Zoey and the Captain back together? And bc of that he gets chosen as the best man at their 2nd wedding…? And Barney, who at that time happens to be smitten with Nora, attends the wedding with her – and that’s how Ted met Nora. It sounds more probable than Barney and Nora’s wedding or Barney and Robin’s (at least I can’t see that happen in the near future). But of course, I dunno if the Captain would invite the “rapscallion” to the wedding and the fact that Ted said their relationship (his and Zoey’s) ended badly suggests that they probably didn’t part as friends…?

28. Danielle says:

I definitely think it’s Barney and Robins’ wedding…why would Ted have been so unsure in the beginning…everyone asking him if he’s okay/ready?

29. Audrey says:

I think the wedding that happens in the season finale is not necessarily The Wedding (where he meets YM). I’m guessing the wedding that’s at the end of this season is Punchy’s/some other non important wedding and The Wedding occurs in a couple years, once B/R have actually matured a little/want a relationship, which would delay the inevitable meeting of YM to closer the end of the series and would explain why Ted is so nervous about giving his Best Man speech, and why Marshall seems to be in the wedding party too.

30. k says:

Why would the mother be at Barney and Robin’s wedding? Unless she’s somehow working or is someone’s date, it doesn’t make sense.

31. Heidi says:

Calling it. Zoey is so pregnant with a little Captain. Also, I am loving the Nora-as-mother theory.

• Audrey says:

Heh. She’s got a little Captain in her. I can get behind that (love The Captain), but I don’t see it happening. I am totally looking forward to this blow up of Ted/Zoey though. Bring it on I say!
      Nora as YM also makes sense, and I’m cool with it, but I don’t really like the idea of Barney and Ted sharing their significant others (if Nora is YM and Swarkles end up together).

32. Idris says:

People who are rooting for Robin and Barney are the same people who rooted for Kate and Sawyer on Lost. But everybody knows it was Kate and Jack all along en it will be Ted and Robin again. :)

33. Fuuuu says:

I read in a forum that in one chapter, the ted of the future was referring to don, as “uncle don”. Somebody can confirm that?.

I think this fact would end forever with the barney-robin wedding theory as end of the last season of the show.

34. Tessa says:

Please let it be Barney and Robin! I need some hope for their future as a couple <3

35. Kobe says:

Please do not bring Robin and Barney back together. No chemistry.

36. Kobe says:

@ Idris: I wish you were right ! :( sadly, I don’t think there’s any more future left for Ted and Robin.

37. Sam says:

Barney HAS to get with Robin but only in the LAST EPISODE!!

However, i rekn the wedding is Barney’s as both Marshall and ted look like they are important.
    Barney and Robin can’t get together theres absolutely no chance caus it goes against every little hint or clue they have dropped.

If the show ends NOT telling us the mother i will seriously cry!!

haha

38. kate says:

GOOD GOD NO MORE BARNEY AND ROBIN!!!

39. Maylene says:

Ok, 1: unfortunatly Nora cant be the mom, Ted alreay met her. They met at the bar when Barney told them all to lie. Barney theatened to blackmail him with something if he didnt lie about Barney being a great guy. Is this true or did i miss something? 2: Robbin and Barney CAN NOT get back together, that is just horrible writting! Its such an awful cliche! 3: I dont think we have seen the last of Bilson’s character. She is somehow going to bring Ted and the mom together. and finally 4: I heard they recently signed on for 2 more seasons, so I wouldn’t hold your breathe or anything. :(

40. red-head says:

I’m sorry to disappoint Nora-is-the-mother-team, because Ted already met her at the bar, so it makes no sense. Also, I doubt, that its Cindy and her girlfriend’s or Punchy’s wedding, either way, the gang wouldn’t be there with Ted.
    I think it’s Barney and Robin’s wedding. I have strong theories about that. First – Robin asking Ted to be best man – was a hint. Ted and Marshall are waring same tux, I think they’re both best men. Marshall for Barney, Ted – for Robin. And why the hell Ted is so nervouse about, he wasn’t at Marshall’s wedding, so why now? I’m guessing, it’s because Ted’s a best man of his ex-girlfriend, who’s marrying his best friend :) Really messed-up. :D And Lily’s dress really lookes like of bridesmaid’s :)
    Also, I read the writers interview, they say, that Barney will completely change in this season, he will, somehow, “grow-up” a bit. And it’s true, first he has feelings for a woman, than in the up-coming episode Legendaddy – he meets father. These things will make him more serious. Also, other fact: Robin introduced Barney to Nora, she was the one who convinced him he had some feelings for her, she made him call her, even tested him and offered sex; I think Robin’s trying to change Barney that way. Both of them were two charachters, we never imagined getting married. But guess what? In the last season Robin made a whole new decission, she chose relationship (with Don) over her career. Robin grew up already and now it’s Barney’s turn.

41. Jacky says:

This may just be me but I kind of knew Barney and Robbin were going to be together at some point, ever since the 2nd episode of the 1st season. At the end after Robbin gets Ted talking to a girl and goes back to the table it shows Robbin sitting there and she is next to Barney. I dont know why but this made me think that they will be together. I personaly am not a fan of the two together, I’m warming up to the idea though. But ever since that episode I have been sure that they would be together. Now if their recent relationship was all that will happen, i dont know, but Ido think there is a good chance that this wedding will be Barney and Robbin’s.

42. Johnnie says:

I think it’s barney and noras wedding. Ted and Marshall are barneys best men because he couldn’t decide which one to choose and lilly and robin are noras bridesmaids.

43. sats says:

i like nora. and i think she has long-term potential. n i like barney thevway he is but still like nora………..

44. Amanda says:

Anything other than Barney and Robin together in the end would be absolute blasphemy. It was clear from their first season game of laser tag that these two are perfect for each other. And I completely disagree with an earlier comment about Barney in Season 4. Revealing that you have emotions does not make you any less awesome. Barney was at the height of his awesomeness in Season 4.

45. Chris Harris says:

SPOILER ALERT

And now the answer to the question you are all asking… who is the mother?

So now you know the story of How Ted Meets Their Mother

46. Swarley.Legend says:

ROBIN AND BARNEY. the show has dropped subtle moments between the two of them throughout the season and i think (okay, okay, i hope) that this thing with Nora is all something to put us off the inevitability of robin and barney ending up together.

They are amazing together. i was unimpressed that they broke them up so soon.

47. ani0227 says:

48. ani0227 says:

i dont like robin and barney together. Its strange as much as they like each other.and it would be hypocritical if they tell ted not to look to the past but they do it themselves.it would be totally unorginial and predictable. it feels like the show is trying to create a wonder team. marshall and lily- endlessly dedicated to each other, ted and the mother, and robin and barney-commitment issues. its to predictable.

49. Mr, Niceguy says:

Team Nora!!!!!! If robin ruins barney’s path to happiness with the stone house on top of a hill and three children!!! I am going to stop watching this show right after that episode!!!!!