It's Official: Ashley Judd Goes Missing For ABC

Get More: News, Pilots

In what marks her first full-time series gig, Ashley Judd has inked a deal to headline the ABC action-drama Missing.

Originally slated to air over the summer but now eyed for a fall launch, Missing centers on a former CIA agent (Judd) who travels overseas in search of her MIA son.

Greg Poirier (National Treasure: Book of Secrets) serves as creator/exec producer. Emmy-winning Dexter director Steve Shill will helm multiple episodes, including the premiere.

Judd’s only previous TV work of note was a recurring role as Swoosie Kurtz’s daughter on Sisters and a two-episode arc as Starfleet officer Robin Lefler on Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Comments (159)

• I can’t believe CBS is canceling Missing. Best show this year

Comment by Gloria Jones – May 12, 2012 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree best thing to do is boycot ABC.

Comment by adrian – July 22, 2012 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe this show is cancelled!!! What a mistake. This show is always action packed and I cannot wait for the next episode. I hope the network at least makes a final episode to wrap everything up or is it going to leave all the viewer’s guessing. What a disappointment.

Comment by Cyndi – May 12, 2012 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’m tired of finally finding shows worth watching and then they cancel them. No wonder the networks have such a hard time keeping ratings up, the people in charge wouldn’t know a good thing if it bit them on the %&*. I have really enjoyed watching Missing and I hope they don’t leave us with a cliff hanger.

Comment by lisa – May 12, 2012 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • U.N.B.E.L.I.E.V.A.B.L.E.!!!! One of the best shows to come along since 24!!

Comment by V. A. – May 12, 2012 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great show with plenty of intrigue, action and adventure. I am sure the ratings can’t be all that bad. Probably got canceled due to the lack of adulterous actions.

Comment by William F Luedtke – May 12, 2012 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC finally puts a good show on the air and now they are going to cancel Missing… and they wonder why they lose in the ratings… what will you replace it with and snooze fest reality show that nobody wants to watch? Bring this one back, it’s a well written and well acted show!

Comment by Mark – May 13, 2012 12:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “MISSING” with Ashley Judd is a completely riveting show – week to week, with unexpected twists and turns in the plot!! … DON”T remove “MISSING” from the line-up please. Too many of us devotees will surely “MISS” it!! …. ABC — RE-CONSIDER !!

Comment by heather^^ – May 13, 2012 01:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC – your network is apparently made up of incompetent idiots who have no idea what the viewers actually want. Your choice to take “Missing” off the air after just one season is not only unjustified but totally moronic. Have you not noticed just how many of your viewers are interested in seeing the series continue? Statistically, the majority of us -do- want Missing to continue, yet somehow you thought it would be a good move on your part to cut it from an additional season. Maybe you should do some actual market research before making this call. I, for one, am refusing to support ABC once Missing ends, and I hope the trend catches on for the rest of us who enjoyed the show. Maybe once you lose over half your audience to these ridiculous calls ABC continues to make, you will begin to take the viewers’ opinions into consideration.

Comment by Kristina – May 13, 2012 04:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thats why I go to red box. Bull ####. Everytime I get interested in a new show u take it off.

Comment by rose – May 13, 2012 04:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As usual, ABC is missing the mark. Missing is a show that has kept me home also on Thursdays. Ashley Judd is believable in her role. She also has has screen presence. I was
    glad to see her come back to TV Prime Time. ABC, this show is a hit. I agree with other people and their comments, that you bring on 30 min. shows that are much worse. There
    are a lot of men & women out there that really like Ashley Judd and her show. Might think
    again ABC, & maybe another time slot. If you do cxl this series I hope another net work picks it up. It would fit very well into CBS’s nite time family.

Comment by John – May 13, 2012 05:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is truly one of the best shows on TV. Ashley Judd gives an impeccable performance as does the entire cast. The locations are absolutely beautiful. Please reconsider keeping this show on the air in another time slot. I think it deserves another chance..

Comment by theresa vazzana – May 13, 2012 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes agreed! A well acted show and enjoyable too! Ashley Judd is main reason watched it! I knew she’d be good! Beats these dumb cluck reality shows!

Comment by Lauren Harrington – May 13, 2012 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES RECONSIDER PLEASE! ABC DO NOT CANCEL THIS WANTING TO WATCH SERIES! PLEASE!

Comment by Lauren Harrington – May 13, 2012 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DO THE RIGHT THING! DO NOT CANCEL THE SHOW! ABC??…………….

Comment by Lauren Harrington – May 13, 2012 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC! WHAT WERE YOU TINKING. THIS IS THE BEST SHOW SINCE NCIS AND NCIS:LA.YOU NEED TO GET RID OF MORE REALITY SHOWS.

Comment by DOOGIE – May 13, 2012 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOTS OF PEOPLE GET INTERESTED IN GOOD SHOWS AND END UP CANCELED! ABC cancelling wrong shows! Somebody at ABC needs get more educated and get their priorities straight!

Comment by Lauren Harrington – May 13, 2012 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • L:ike John said! Keep show on or by all means CBS pick[Missing] it up! I will gear up CBS and so will others I’m sure!

Comment by Lauren Harrington – May 13, 2012 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show, I don’t know who makes these decisions, but they need to take another look at this show, and let it build a following. If you watch it once, you keep coming back, the action and fast pace just draws you in week after week. Please do not cancel.

Comment by Lynda – May 13, 2012 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved this show. Please don’t cancel.

Comment by debbie Suddarth – May 13, 2012 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sick of the stupid “reality shows” that have been on since time began and continue to exploit people. Get an excellent show on like Missing and turn around and cancel it. Harry’s Law same thing cancelled.

Comment by Sue – May 13, 2012 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agree with ya harry’s law too!

Comment by Lauren Harrington – May 13, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This really sucks that they are canceling this show. I really like it. I even record it when I am not able to be home to watch it. Wish that they would reconcider canceling it.

Comment by wnelsen9746@cableone.net – May 13, 2012 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show and what is wrong with ABC’s decision to cancel-EVERYTHING.

Comment by Kathryn Whaler – May 13, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My husband and i love this show. We do not wanna see it go, We look forward to it every week.

Comment by jewlzjunkie – May 13, 2012 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I, too, really like the show. So what can we do to change the minds of those who decided to cancel Missing???

Comment by Lindy Kewatt – May 13, 2012 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Every time I watch a show on ABC, it gets canceled.I don’t going to start to watch any more shows in this netwark

Comment by Jose – May 13, 2012 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its is so sad they are cancelling the good shows and keep ‘Bachelor/ette’. Who cares about a man/waman looking for true love in a jacuzzi with 25 men/women??? Please bring back the good shows like Missing, GCB and relive us of the reality show crap.

Comment by M A Z – May 14, 2012 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Missing” is one of the best dramas on TV. I do hope the network reconsiders their decision. It is one of the only serious show that ABC carries.

Comment by Marsha – May 14, 2012 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a show that I and my daughter LOVE to watch TOGETHER !!! I am very saddened by the news you are taking it off the air. I don’t know how that the story could continue however, I wish that the writers would keep it up. It has been one that has kept my interests from the beginning. I have looked forward to it each week.
    I am not one for the reality tv shows. With some of the shows loosing my favorite characters. I have had to find new ones to watch. Such is the case with Missing. I have enjoyed ASHLEY JUDD’s performance and would continue to enjoy it in future episodes. PLEASE RECONSIDER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Patricia – May 14, 2012 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i AGREE HAPPENS TO ME TOO! i FEEL SAME WAY ABC KEEP ‘MISSING’ ON! OR LOOSE YOUR VIEWERS!

Comment by Lauren Harrington – May 14, 2012 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please DO NOT cancel this show. I can’t wait to see this every week it is awesome.

Comment by Dhana – May 14, 2012 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe my eyes. Cancellation is an atrocity. Whoever is making this call,
    needs to rethink it.

Comment by Frankie – May 15, 2012 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • l’m so upset to hear this!!!! My husband and i love this show we feel its one of the best action dramas on tv!!!!! every week it is more exciting then the week before !!! how can u cancel such a great show!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Ellen – May 15, 2012 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am sick and fed-up with ABC taking off a series like Missing off the air; this is one of the few dramas that stick to the POINT of being true. I am sick of these silly shows about silly people screaming like FOOLS. Put Missing back on if TNT has its way; pick up Missing and forget about ABC .

Comment by Ray – May 16, 2012 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHY DO A NIGHT SHOW ABC THAT VIEWERS RESENT THE CANCEL OF ‘MISSING’? BY NOT WATCHING ABC AT A GIVEN DAY AND TIME? MAYBE? HUH?

Comment by Lauren Harrington – May 16, 2012 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of all the shows on tv, Missing was one of the best, great story line, great actors. Do not understand why quality shows with great writing and a great story line would be cancelled. Please do not cancel this show. Not everyone is into the ridiculous reality shows that stay and stay. What determines this? Very bad judgement on someones part.

Comment by Chris – May 17, 2012 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Again, a good show that is full of action and mystery is cancelled!!!! Missing is one of the best shows on Thursday night. It’s like watching a great series each week like “24″. I cannot believe they would even consider cancelling this show or giving it a “D” in the ratings. You get to travel to different parts of Europe each week and it’s an “on the edge of your seat” program. PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL THIS GREAT PROGRAM! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!

Comment by Rose – May 18, 2012 04:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ashley Judd is one of the best actors out there, this show was really a family show, and unfortunately that is the shows they always cancel, however, they leave shows on there like 1000 ways to die or survival. I think it is a tragedy that this show is cancelled, I think that this show they really didnt know how many viewers they had. However, we have to pay for the most of the most terrible tv that the critics feel we should watch, but we wouldn’t even let our children watch. I am not haply with this decision at all

Comment by Lori – May 21, 2012 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot understand why ABC would cancel Missing as it is one of the best shows I have seen on TV. BIG MISTAKE!

Comment by Helen Sasser – May 27, 2012 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s hard to believe they cancelled such a great show…..to leave us all hanging like that

Comment by Jeanine O'Donoghue – June 5, 2012 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love missing that show has so many twist and turns it kept me on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen next. Please bring it back i love love love it it was one of the many reasons i bought cable

Comment by mandi21 – July 10, 2012 10:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • and another favorite was camelot all the great ones get canceled , WHY? I need to slap whom ever is over the shows across the head. Not to many people watch abc to begin with so if ratings are down complain to hbo and other networks b.c the younger generation would rather watch movies and celebrity shows not . I however love abc and if you keep canceling all the great shows you want have anyone left. think about it look at your ratingsn each year. Your canceling to much and starting to lose your audience . Best of luck but I feel like why keep watching if your just going to cancel the next show any way just like you abc did the last two. Just to inform you .

Comment by mandi21 – July 10, 2012 10:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yea i agree too.men!the best series ever. BRING BACK MISSING.I WILL START A CAMPAIGN TO BRING BACK MISSING.

Comment by ARNOLD – July 16, 2012 05:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No wonder network TV is in trouble you idiots dont know when a show is a hit.

Comment by adrian – July 22, 2012 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe they cancelled Missing it’s the best show I have seen since Sex & the City & Charmed. I read it’s because it didn’t have enough viewers & another web sight I seen said it got a 8.2 out of 10. I really think ABC is stupid & needs to get a brain & bring it back on. ABC can’t leave us all hanging as to waht will happen next.

Comment by Michelle – August 11, 2012 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • missing was the best show on are you crazy .if you cancel it you really are nuts.Ashley Judd is great in the show. please do not cancel this show.

Comment by peggy – September 5, 2012 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • abc…seriously! What are you thinking? I have been looking for the return of Missing and now, what?…I might not get to see it this season! Wow, I sure wish that the people at abc would really give their viewers want to see and not focus on or take chances on shows that are just maybe’s. Miss using is the real deal and Ashley did her thing and the scene sets were great, the story line was great and Ashley’s acting was on point. All I got to say is please don’t remove it and force my hand to not watch anything on abc.

Comment by Lonnie Butler – November 7, 2012 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • abc…seriously! What are you thinking? I have been looking for the return of Missing and now, what?…I might not get to see it this season! Wow, I sure wish that the people at abc would really give their viewers want they want to see and not focus on or take chances on shows that are just maybe’s. Missing is the real deal and Ashley did her thing, the scene sets were great, the story line was great and Ashley’s acting was on point. All I got to say is please don’t remove it and force my hand to not watch anything on abc.

Comment by Lonnie Butler – November 7, 2012 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with everything that was said above….bring back Missing! Ashley Judd was super! The only thing I didn’t agree with–someone said, in referring to the reality shows, ‘they’ are making us watch……no, no….no one can ‘make’ you watch a reality show. I certainly do NOTwatch them…they are not worth watching. SM

Comment by Susan – November 10, 2012 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • December 2012 and I’m still ‘missing Missing! If you’ve never seen an episode you don’t know what you are missing (or have missed). ABC sure has something missing to cancel such a great show! ABC…123….bring brack ‘Missing’ for you and meeeeeee, oh yeah!

Comment by Phil – December 9, 2012 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe ABC is canceling their MISSING TV show. Some shows take time for people to make a change of what they are watching. I have watched shows that played the same time opposite of each other and I would try to follow both until I could see which one was worth sticking with. Sometimes family’s have conflicts between husband and wife as what they agree to watch together. If the husbands choice doesn’t conflict with the wife’s time zone the each gets to see what they each want. What I’m saying is some of these shows that get dropped are simply scheduled at the wrong time.

Comment by Ron – January 16, 2013 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just discovered that Ashley Judd’s TV series,”Missing”, has been cancelled. I thoroughly enjoyed that show. WHY did ABC cancel it? If ABC will not reconsider airing it, why can’t the writers/producers take the series to another network? Please continue it somewhere for all of us loyal viewers.

Comment by Arlene – February 6, 2013 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post